Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final Vote Count For Far/Near Rim Beacon
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
ustrax
QUOTE (Shaka @ Jun 29 2006, 09:24 PM) *
HeeHee...High Fives, all you Knights!

Click to view attachment

Just let this old abyss lover enjoy it while it lasts... smile.gif
centsworth_II
Something looks funny about the JPL image showing the "outcrop promontory on near wall".... 2077 meters!?! Looks like they are keeping one foot in the far rim camp after all.
ustrax
QUOTE (helvick @ Jun 29 2006, 08:44 PM) *

And Phil's on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
'This vertical stretch technique was first applied to Viking Lander 2 panoramas by Philip Stooke, of the University of Western Ontario, Canada, to help locate the lander with respect to orbiter images. Vertically stretching the image allows features to be more readily identified by the Mars Exploration Rover science team.

Though difficult to discern without labels, the southeast rim of Victoria Crater is visible, as well as two small craters on the dark "annulus," or ring, around Victoria Crater.'
hortonheardawho
Perhaps JPL is saying that the Beacon feature is 500 meters beyond the far rim of Victoria! None of my maps show any details beyond 400 meters.

Perhaps JPL's little joke on UMSF?
climber
QUOTE (helvick @ Jun 29 2006, 09:44 PM) *

Joining Poll (too) Late
kenny
You were fast, Senhor Ustrax. I was just about to post this clip from the web site you give a link to.....
Kenny

"The bright white dot on the horizon near the upper left corner of the panorama, labeled "Outcrop Promontory," was thought to be a light-toned outcrop on the far wall of Victoria, based on a single azimuth measurement on sol 804 (April 28, 2006), suggesting that the rover was seeing over the low rim of Victoria. But comparing the azimuth angle of this feature in the sol 855 panorama and the angle of the same feature in the sol 804 panoramic image [PIA08446] (a process known as triangulation) revealed that this outcrop must instead be on the near rim of the crater. "
ustrax
QUOTE (kenny @ Jun 29 2006, 09:59 PM) *
You were fast, Senhor Ustrax. I was just about to post this clip from the web site you give a link to.....
Kenny

"The bright white dot on the horizon near the upper left corner of the panorama, labeled "Outcrop Promontory," was thought to be a light-toned outcrop on the far wall of Victoria, based on a single azimuth measurement on sol 804 (April 28, 2006), suggesting that the rover was seeing over the low rim of Victoria. But comparing the azimuth angle of this feature in the sol 855 panorama and the angle of the same feature in the sol 804 panoramic image [PIA08446] (a process known as triangulation) revealed that this outcrop must instead be on the near rim of the crater. "

Ahahhahahahah!
After the abyss the GLORY!!!
AHAHAHHAHHAHAHAH!!!
smile.gif
tongue.gif
I knew that...kenny...And Senhor is outdated...just call us...let's say...Near Rim Masters!!!!!!!!!!
Just let me work on a proper and cruel cartoon... tongue.gif
Tesheiner
I'm just wondering how may hits to UMSF come from the "jpl.nasa.gov" domain. biggrin.gif

And now, I'll enjoy a cool beer!
djellison
I could tell you....but I'd have to kill you.

More than none, less than hundreds.

Doug
helvick
QUOTE (hortonheardawho @ Jun 29 2006, 09:56 PM) *
Perhaps JPL is saying that the Beacon feature is 500 meters beyond the far rim of Victoria! None of my maps show any details beyond 400 meters.

Very true. That's quite odd - the range should be in the 700m range right? Intriguing.
ustrax
QUOTE (helvick @ Jun 29 2006, 10:12 PM) *
Very true. That's quite odd - the range should be in the 700m range right? Intriguing.

Intriguing?...I believe that the reference to Mr. Stooke should be taken as not intriguing at all... biggrin.gif
Oh man...That leaves so happy... biggrin.gif
Ultreya!!! biggrin.gif
Pando
Good work guys, what can I say! smile.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (Pando @ Jun 29 2006, 10:21 PM) *
what can I say! smile.gif

Nothing! tongue.gif

You near-rimmers...Just send me a message,,,In the answer back there will be a gift... biggrin.gif
WE RULE!!!
hortonheardawho
Not so fast.

Notice the two lines that converge on the very weak near rim feature pass through two very bright features on the far rim. How can you near rim guys be so sure that we are not seeing two distinct far rim features on sol 804 and 859? It is pretty clear to me that we are dealing with a complex of features on the far rim -- not one puny outcrop on the near rim.

If the beacon is near rim, where are the other much brighter near rim features?

I would not pop the champaign cork just yet.

I will believe that the beacon is on the near rim when Oppy parks in front of it and reads the plaque that states "Here stands the infamous Victoria beacon -- a warning to all travelers that things are not what they seem. ".
ustrax
QUOTE (hortonheardawho @ Jun 29 2006, 10:33 PM) *
I would not pop the champaign cork just yet.

JPL popped it with Stooke's cork...I'm popping it...Enough is enough!

WE RULE!
Pavel
QUOTE (helvick @ Jun 29 2006, 05:12 PM) *

Somebody confused feet with meters. 2077 feet would be about right.
ustrax
smile.gif [quote name='Pavel' date='Jun 29 2006, 10:37 PM' post='60158']
Somebody confused feet with meters. 2077 feet would be about right.

Hey you Beacon fighters...:would care for a sardine on this Saint Peter's celebration holiday here in Sintra?

I'm http://images.google.pt/imgres?imgurl=http...D%26sa%3DN]here right now... smile.gif

Damn! I can't get the right link...I'm on location 5... tongue.gif
having a sardine and a beer and a salad...Great party going on wish you all we're here! biggrin.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jun 29 2006, 01:36 PM) *
JPL popped it with Stooke's cork...I'm popping it...Enough is enough!

I really need to refer you to Shaka's thoughts on JPL as "authorities".

Meanwhile I'm hanging in there with Horton. My gut is rarely wrong on things like this.
kenny
Hey amigo,

Believe it or not, I had that in Sintra a few years ago - cerveja, salad e peixes.

Wish I was there with you, rasing a glass in a toast to the magnificent Argument of the Pointless ....

Kenny
BrianL
QUOTE (hortonheardawho @ Jun 29 2006, 04:33 PM) *
I will believe that the beacon is on the near rim when Oppy parks in front of it and reads the plaque that states "Here stands the infamous Victoria beacon -- a warning to all travelers that things are not what they seem. ".

That's more like it. Just because JPL and their precious scientists do not adopt The Gap Hypothesis does not make it false. I still believe Ustrax will wail and gnash teeth in the agony of defeat for the second time in a few weeks. The first time will be much sooner... On Saturday, Becks and the boys will lay waste to the Portuguese footballers on their march to the Holy Grail.

Do not give up the fight yet, FarSiders!!!!

Brian
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 29 2006, 05:25 PM) *
My gut is rarely wrong on things like this.

That is very interesting thing but, for me, it is not always 100% with a final happy! but it really work for me at most of the time. smile.gif

Rodolfo
Shaka
QUOTE (BrianL @ Jun 29 2006, 01:37 PM) *
... their march to the Holy Grail.

Do not give up the fight yet, FarSiders!!!!

Brian

He is not yet dead
That's what the geezer said
Oh, he's not yet dead
That man is off his head
He is not yet dead
Put him back in bed
Keep him off the cart because he's not yet dead

cool.gif
Stu
"The bright white dot on the horizon near the upper left corner of the panorama, labeled "Outcrop Promontory,"

"Outcrop Promontory"?? huh.gif huh.gif What kind of a half-a**ed unimaginative name is that? We're not going to be stuck with that, are we? That's just... well... boring. unsure.gif
WindyT
QUOTE (Stu @ Jun 30 2006, 06:06 AM) *
"The bright white dot on the horizon near the upper left corner of the panorama, labeled "Outcrop Promontory,"

"Outcrop Promontory"?? huh.gif huh.gif What kind of a half-a**ed unimaginative name is that? We're not going to be stuck with that, are we? That's just... well... boring. unsure.gif

Quite frankly, I feel the Near Rim team ought to have official naming rights for the Beacon.
climber
QUOTE (WindyT @ Jun 30 2006, 08:19 AM) *
Quite frankly, I feel the Near Rim team ought to have official naming rights for the Beacon.

I'm sorry Sir. I don't understand why Near Rimers have to name OUR Far Rim Beacon!
ustrax
QUOTE (Stu @ Jun 30 2006, 07:06 AM) *

Yes...I agree, but I believe it is not the definitive name for the beacon...
I have this promontory in mind... rolleyes.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (BrianL @ Jun 30 2006, 12:37 AM) *
On Saturday, Becks and the boys will lay waste to the Portuguese footballers on their march to the Holy Grail.

If Becks and associates can do just as well against us as they did in 2000 and 2004... tongue.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (kenny @ Jun 29 2006, 11:26 PM) *
Hey amigo,

Believe it or not, I had that in Sintra a few years ago - cerveja, salad e peixes.

Wish I was there with you, rasing a glass in a toast to the magnificent Argument of the Pointless ....

Kenny

Next time you're around say something, I live here... smile.gif
climber
QUOTE (ustrax @ Jun 30 2006, 11:54 AM) *
If Becks and associates can do just as well against us as they did in 2000 and 2004... tongue.gif

For either Portugal or Becks and associates, next one will be France anyway! When did you both won against France? I can't remember for sure if Pele was already born biggrin.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (climber @ Jun 30 2006, 11:05 AM) *
For either Portugal or Becks and associates, next one will be France anyway! When did you both won against France? I can't remember for sure if Pele was already born biggrin.gif

Don't remind me sad things...
djellison
The sooner England are out, the sooner the media here can stop pretending we actually have any chance of winning the thing and life can return to normality smile.gif

Doug
ustrax
Let's see tomorrow Doug...Above all is a game between old friends... smile.gif
ustrax
Beacon's best view so far:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...O9P2436L2M1.JPG

smile.gif
Toma B
What Beacon???
I see 3 of them... laugh.gif
centsworth_II
There is a DARK near rim promentory rising in front of a bright far rim outcrop which shows on either side of the near rim promentory as left and right beacons. tongue.gif
Bill Harris
Here is a rough 5x vertical exaggeration of the Sol 865 (?) L2 Pancam. The Beacon outcrop rocks are showing very strongly through the windgap...

--Bill
Tesheiner
Here a vertical view with a line (in red) traced to the beacon's heading as of sol 864.
Definitely on the near rim!

Click to view attachment

About the "gap" theory: In such hypotetical case we would be looking for a different feature on the far rim then on sol 855 (lines in red). Now, just compare the beacon on both set of pancams (855 and 864); is it a different feature? I don't think so.
BrianL
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 30 2006, 03:56 PM) *
About the "gap" theory: In such hypotetical case we would be looking for a different feature on the far rim then on sol 855 (lines in red). Now, just compare the beacon on both set of pancams (855 and 864); is it a different feature? I don't think so.

I don't know, one white blob looks pretty much like any other white blob, which is all we can really see from this distance. Plus, the overhead shot shows several very similar promontories.

OK, we all know the Gap is a faint hope. We can't fight triangulation. Just allow us to stay in denial for a little while longer.

Brian
stevo
HEY!
Who moved my beacon ? I left it in plain view, on the far side of Victoria ... sad.gif
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 29 2006, 03:02 PM) *
Well let's see what the Captain of the Near Sider team thinks of the JPL rocket scientists' opinions:
Sorry, dude. I couldn't resist biggrin.gif
Captain? huh.gif

I thought he was the cheerleader. laugh.gif (I couldn't resist, either.)

Seriously though, I was about to congratulate the Near team, but I think I'll wait a while longer. On the sol 864 drive, Opportunity climbed to the highest elevation it has been at in a long time. We are seeing many more features on Victoria than ever, and more clearly. As I write, sol 865 images are coming down. I wonder what we'll see.
Phil Stooke
It's horrible being on vacation - I'm so out of it... but it looks like my buddies at JPL are getting it right now!

Phil
Bill Harris
Tom, the eyebrow-raiser for me on the far-near issue is how the visibility of The Beacon varies from Sol to Sol. Some days it is prominent, some days not. For a rock sitting on a flat plain of gravel, it ought to be easily visible at all times. But a bluff viewed through a notched mask will change from day to day. I'm actually a fence sitter, figuring out that we'll find out evenually, but this behavior makes me lean to the Farside (more than normally, that is).

Sorry, Phil, but you're addicted... wink.gif

--Bill
Phil Stooke
Have been all my life, Bill.

Phil
Myran
Tesheiner wrote: Definitely on the near rim!

What this talk about football? And continues to cheer "Near rim, near rim!" waving flags in each arm.
Shaka
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jun 30 2006, 07:19 PM) *
Captain? huh.gif
I thought he was the cheerleader. laugh.gif (I couldn't resist, either.)

Seriously though, I was about to congratulate the Near team, but I think I'll wait a while longer.

Tom,
If you wait until we can read the inscription on the slab, like Horton, you'll miss the distinction of the 'good scientist' who revises his conclusions as soon as new evidence compels it. The 'rocket scientists' in the MER team have done that now - so they are 'good scientists' - better late than never. wink.gif Of course we never appeal to authority around here, so you should only change your view when the evidence convinces you, not the popular vote swing. Pando is a case in point - 'a good scientist' - right, Pando?

As far as I know only one person 'elected' me captain, ElkGroveDan, (and you know what they say about Californians! cool.gif ). I'm sure I wasn't the first Near-rimmer, Tesh or Rodolfo were probably in there long before their geometry and Dilo's charts of the unchanging 'image' of Beacon finally compelled me to get down from the fence. In fact I think Shirley or somebody put me on the Near list before I ever formally embraced it. (Pity that much of this early history of the beacon debate was lost with the Victoria on the Horizon thread that somehow got lost or corrupted on Doug's server.) I think "cheerleader" is probably a better description of my role in this debate than captain, but I do like to think that I am also 'on the squad'. biggrin.gif YAY, TEAM!! laugh.gif
Shaka
QUOTE (Myran @ Jul 1 2006, 04:50 AM) *
What this talk about football?

O.K. Let's all observe a minute of sorrowful silence:......Click to view attachment

Now a minute of hysterical jubilation:.......Click to view attachment

Right, now let's get back to Mars! How many in the Sponge Patrol would have picked a different rim, if they knew then what they know now? Fess up, how many 'good scientists' have we got as of July first? cool.gif
hal_9000
:~( :~( :~( :~( :~(
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Shaka @ Jul 1 2006, 04:13 PM) *
Tom,
If you wait until we can read the inscription on the slab, like Horton, you'll miss the distinction of the 'good scientist' who revises his conclusions as soon as new evidence compels it. The 'rocket scientists' in the MER team have done that now - so they are 'good scientists' - better late than never.

It would pay the 'rocket scientists' in the MER team no disrespect to compare them to Albert Einstein who first formulated the cosmological constant, then deplored his error, then , albeit too late to personally take credit, was shown to have been correct in the first place.
Shaka
Roll over, Albert.
dilo
Thanks, centsworth! Is a consolation to have such a parallel with my experience: I initially stated "near rim" based on parallax, then I changed idea because this looked odd to me and then... sad.gif
Anyway, congratulation to the nearim team and now, for sure, after beagle the first stuff I wanna closely see is this baby! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.