Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Corner Crater"
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Sunspot
There must be some problem moving data out onto various places on the web?
dot.dk
Can anyone figure out if those navcams are looking at stuff as seen after a possible drive? huh.gif
kungpostyle
Maybe oppy is booting into the new software in preparation for the drive to Victoria.
MaxSt
QUOTE (Tom Ames @ Aug 9 2006, 10:09 PM) *
Does anyone have one or more ultra-high res colored images they'd be willing to send me for public display?

I like these: smile.gif
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~jcanvin/mer/index.html
mhoward
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Aug 10 2006, 05:00 PM) *
Can anyone figure out if those navcams are looking at stuff as seen after a possible drive? huh.gif

The site/drive code is the same, so apparantly she hasn't moved. Comparing the features to earlier Navcams gives the same result.
Sunspot
QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 10 2006, 06:39 PM) *
The site/drive code is the same, so apparantly she hasn't moved. Comparing the features to earlier Navcams gives the same result.

Strange...The drive was planned for sol 903 and those pics are definately from Sol 904?? blink.gif
hortonheardawho
A comparison with the previous Navcam images indicate a rotation of about 4 degrees -- and a movement of about 30 cm north. I suspect some sort of IDD "unstow" failure.
dot.dk
CODE
1. What new EDRs from ANY sol were received on sol 905?

Number of EDRs received by sol, sequence number, and image type:

Sol Seq.Ver  ETH ESF EDN EFF ERP Tot  Description
--- -------- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -----------
904 p0099.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    navcam_stereo_1_bpp_no_actuation
904 p2111.05 13  0   0   0   0   13   Unexpected sequence!!!!
904 p2293.04 60  0   0   0   0   60   Unexpected sequence!!!!
    Total    75  0   0   2   0   77

navcam_stereo_1_bpp_no_actuation!

So it must be the IDD unsure.gif
Bill Harris
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Aug 10 2006, 11:53 AM) *
Weird, these images were just posted at exploratorium:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...cam/2006-08-10/

You can match that spot in the jvandriel panorama from Sol 898:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&id=6921

The spot is to the upper right of the Rover in this panorama. She's not moved much.

--Bill
Sunspot
No Actuation? Dont the wheels have actuators? If it was the IDD i'd have thought they'd have taken pics with the forward hazcam?

The tracking site now says this, but only the navcam pics have shown up at exploratorium:

CODE
1. What new EDRs from ANY sol were received on sol 905?

Number of EDRs received by sol, sequence number, and image type:

Sol Seq.Ver  ETH ESF EDN EFF ERP Tot  Description
--- -------- --- --- --- --- --- ---- -----------
904 p0099.01 2   0   0   2   0   4    navcam_stereo_1_bpp_no_actuation
904 p2111.05 13  0   0   0   0   13   pancam_cal_targ_L234567Rall
904 p2293.04 60  0   0   0   0   60   pancam_beagle_pt_5_L257R2
    Total    75  0   0   2   0   77
imipak
I've got a bad feeling about this sad.gif

What's worse is that reason and intuition seem to be pointing in a similar direction.
Nirgal
new images are up so that's good news: Oppy alive and the communication channel works !

So I still hope for a software-only issue ... or only a minor hardware failure
that can be worked around like Oppy's stuck wheel steering actuator failure ...

No insider infos anyone here ??? pando etc. ?
djellison
From our favorite payload element lead...

"Minor uplink fault on 902, but all is well and we're back in business for 904-905"

Doug
dot.dk
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 10 2006, 10:30 PM) *
From our favorite payload element lead...

"Minor uplink fault on 902, but all is well and we're back in business for 904-905"

Doug

Yehaa! back in bussines biggrin.gif cool.gif

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
DEChengst
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 10 2006, 10:30 PM) *

So it may be something as simple as commanding her at the wrong frequency ? Can't wait till we'll start seeing more Pancam data again so I can continue working on the Beagle panorama smile.gif
Bill Harris
We're starting to get some L257 filter sets of images from Oppy. Here are two L257 images of the outer rim "rubble pile" of Beagle.

--Bill
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Aug 10 2006, 03:37 PM) *
Yehaa! ...
You know, dot...If I didn't know better, I'd suspect you were a fellow Texan. laugh.gif

...and regarding the little burp in the data flow, how many times do we need to be reminded how robust this mission is. I suspect it will be remembered in space exploration history for that very reason, in addition to its voluminous science return. (Don't bother to download the image, since that is as big as it gets, and as big as it needs to be. Image credit: www.energizer.com )
Click to view attachment
Stu
Found some nice new pics on Exploratorium this morning of rocks on the left side of Beagle, and... well, I did it. After years of drooling over everyone else's colourised images and thinking "I could never do that" I gave it a go... here's my first attempt, so be gentle with me...

Beagle rocks

Put together in Paint Shop Pro. Was considering buying Photoshop Elements cos Photoshop's what everyone seems to use, in one form or another, but this first try doesn't seem too bad so I might stick with PSP for a while, see what I can do.

I know none of you Image Mages will be quaking in your boots, but hey, I had a try... smile.gif

What are we looking at geologically here? These rocks seem awfully jumbled up. If the walls of Victoria are anything like as messy as this we're not going to know which way to look are we? wink.gif
mhoward
Not bad, Stu smile.gif Can't comment on the geology, myself.

I'm messing around with PTGui now and although I haven't mastered it yet, I thought you all might enjoy the results so far:

15000 x 3750 pixel version (still not full resolution!)

This was before the new stuff came in tonight. And yes, I know the color image is in the wrong place. Like I said, I haven't perfected it yet.

Why all the black space? Glad you asked. These are equirectangular projections, and I discovered that you can use a neat little program like this one on Windows to display them as VR views with no fuss and no muss. I'm sure there are many other programs like this, but I haven't had time to investigate any others yet. Why did it take me this long to figure this out??
Stu
Ah, this is more like it...

REALLY enjoying the VR Quicktime panoramas you're producing by the way, mhoward smile.gif
Nirgal
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 11 2006, 08:31 AM) *
Found some nice new pics on Exploratorium this morning of rocks on the left side of Beagle, and... well, I did it. After years of drooling over everyone else's colourised images and thinking "I could never do that" I gave it a go... here's my first attempt, so be gentle with me...

Beagle rocks

very well done, Stu !

from which sol are the raw images from ?

Your color balance nicely matches the mood of the recent true color Beagle view published by JPL

BTW.: I too am using only PSP (can't afford Photoshop wink.gif ... it's a great tool especially for
color balancing ... what I'm mising most in PSP is 16-bit processing capability which would be necessary to
realize the full potential of the MER PDS files...
djellison
'Alternate sources' from the engienering side of thigns tell me that actually - it wasn't an uplink problem, but the occasional Opportunity reboot problem (on 902) that was alluded to previously.

Doug
M_Welander
QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 11 2006, 08:52 AM) *
...I discovered that you can use a neat little program like this one on Windows to display them as VR views with no fuss and no muss. I'm sure there are many other programs like this, but I haven't had time to investigate any others yet.

There might be other programs like that out there, but none as good FSPViewer, in my opinion. I've used it for years myself, but never found anything better. I particulary enjoy that it can handle huge (20kx10k) panoramas without any noticable loss in speed.
Bill Harris
Here is an interesting L456 image of the western rim of Beagle crater. Interesting in that the angular, dark-ish rocks on the rim appear to be ejecta from a later impact crater just west of Beagle. This is good from a geomorph standpoint in that we are able to start developing a temporal layer-cake for this locale.

I have no idea about the irregular bluish area on the upper right edge. My initial theory on this is so far off the wall I won't even mention it... :eek:

--Bill
mhoward
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Aug 11 2006, 10:32 AM) *
I have no idea about the irregular bluish area on the upper right edge. My initial theory on this is so far off the wall I won't even mention it... :eek:

Probably better that you don't, since it was just overexposure (saturation, whatever they call it) on one of the images. smile.gif wink.gif

(We've seen the same thing at least in some images way back at Endurance.)
mhoward
QUOTE (M_Welander @ Aug 11 2006, 09:08 AM) *
There might be other programs like that out there, but none as good FSPViewer, in my opinion. I've used it for years myself, but never found anything better. I particulary enjoy that it can handle huge (20kx10k) panoramas without any noticable loss in speed.

Good to know, thanks. I'm pretty impressed with FSPViewer so far, it was exactly what I was looking for. I wonder if there is something equivalent on Mac OS X.

huge (20kx10k) panoramas

Approximately a full resolution Pancam mosaic smile.gif
fredk
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Aug 11 2006, 02:31 AM) *
We're starting to get some L257 filter sets of images from Oppy. Here are two L257 images of the outer rim "rubble pile" of Beagle.

--Bill

Thanks, Bill. In one of those frames you can see what looks like small clods of soil that perhaps fell off the wheels as Oppy maneuvered, and then were blown back by wind:
Click to view attachment

Is the apparent wind direction consistent with any other evidence of wind direction?
DEChengst
This is what I have up till now:

http://paranoid.dechengst.nl/mars/Beagle%20Pancam%20WIP.jpg (5.9 MB)

To be continued smile.gif
Bill Harris
Good observation. I noted those markings but didn't think much of them. Just offhand and using Phils' Sol 898 Polar pan in Post#330( http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&id=6905 ) as a reference, it does appear that the clods are elongated in a SE-NW direction, which is consistent with the two prevailing and seasonal wind directions.

--Bill
dilo
Some "fractal" appearance in these Beagle dunes... (Sol904, manual stitch):
Click to view attachment (original L257)
Click to view attachment (pseudo-natural colors)
Ant103
Yes Dilo wink.gif

And my own picture :
fredk
New Oppy update, with details on the reboot problem. Most important sentence:
As of sol 905 (Aug. 10, 2006), Opportunity was completely restored to normal operations.
biggrin.gif
Nix
This one has been released by JPL but I had it finished halfway so,

Fullres on site..

Nico
Nix
and while I have the time, a rough-stitch anaglyph, sol 901 (50%res)

I'll post the fullres later on

Nico
lyford
Wow! That is wonderful, Nico.
Tman
Yeah, even though I virtually no more post here in the Mars forum a long time, it is great to come by again and again and take a look at all the well documented progress! Thanks a lot for that!

Greetings!

Should I say, currently I'm biting (through) the dust... cool.gif
RNeuhaus
Welcome back Tmam. You are well know by your good pictures posting!

Changing the theme,

About observing the interesting Nico's pictures:

The different filters of infarred and ultraviolet spectrums. It is evident that with infarred lights (range around 700 nm), the some special stones reflect as white stone that with the ultraviolet light does not percibe the difference. What is the reason of that case? Maybe, those which are altered by the sulfation process, reflects better on infrarred light?

What I know is that the according to the properties of minerology. The stones which absorvs all frequencies of light shining on it except the frequency of ultraviolet which is reflected.

What advantages with the ultraviolet vision?

Rodolfo
Nirgal
QUOTE (Tman @ Aug 13 2006, 09:55 PM) *
Yeah, even though I virtually no more post here in the Mars forum a long time, it is great to come by again and again and take a look at all the well documented progress! Thanks a lot for that!

Greetings!

Should I say, currently I'm biting (through) the dust... cool.gif

Hi Tman !

good to see you back at the Mars board ...
just in time to join us for the coming Victoria Pano Parties with your fine image stitching work wink.gif
Nirgal
And here, as a final good-bye to Beagle Crater: another image for the Alien Landscapes Gallery

and a detail crop of the crater dunes:

Nix
wow smile.gif another awesome 'Alien Landscapes' Nirgal.
I like the 'mood' a lot!

Nico
Nirgal
Thanks Nico, especially for your nice words about the "mood" aspect of the images... because
above all scientific accurateness it's the mood & atmosphere of this alien world that I'm trying to express with my images most ... smile.gif

But also a big Hats-off and kudos to those whose work does also realize great scientific accurateness, such as slinted's incredible true color gallery !
Bill Harris
As Oppy leaves Beagle crater, here is an enlargement of another example of the solution cavity-secondary crystallization we've seen before. It would be ideal to have an IDD session on this cavity ("handlens and scratchplate") to give the physical structure and mineralogy of the filling. This would give us an idea of the ionic composition of the groundwater that produced this feature. I suspect that these cavities are common in the evaporite unit.

--Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.