Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Corner Crater"
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Ant103
Yes RNauhaus, there is no image available to make a pan.

BUT, I can make an incrustation "à la MMB" with a b&w pano L2 filter of Sol 864 and this single color view tongue.gif

Now, we have a more decent view of the area wink.gif
David
Do we think that the floor of Beagle Crater is going to be pretty much flat, sand-filled and continuous with the surrounding plains? Or will it be depressed to some extent?
jamescanvin
Rough Beagle Crater anagyph - which I hope works as I realised after making it that I don't have my specks with me - doh!
Sunspot
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...Z1P2439L2M1.JPG

Towards the right, on the horizon line, I wonder if we are starting to see the far wall of the crater? It looks a little like Endurance did from a distance.
jamescanvin
Which crater? The features toward the right of that image are from one of the small craters on Victoria's Ejecta blanket arn't they?
Tesheiner
If the idenfication I did on this previous post is correct, those are features A and B.
B is the little crater SE of Beagle.

BTW, the "beacon" is now visible right behind BC.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jul 6 2006, 12:39 AM) *
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...Z1P2439L2M1.JPG

Towards the right, on the horizon line, I wonder if we are starting to see the far wall of the crater? It looks a little like Endurance did from a distance.

Actually we've been looking at the far wall for some time. rolleyes.gif There's just lot's more to see now.
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Jul 6 2006, 03:14 AM) *
Rough Beagle Crater anagyph - which I hope works as I realised after making it that I don't have my specks with me - doh!
That was a quite effective anaglyph for these eyes, James. Thanks. smile.gif It's scary to note that you made it without glasses! wink.gif
Ant103
Hello smile.gif

I've made the Sol 869 color panorama of Corner.... hu.. Beagle Crater.

(click to view the hi-res)

It was hard to have an approximative calibrated view. The sky looks a little green, non? And the uniformisation of the color between the different part of the pano was hard too.

In a second time, I wanted to make a desktop picture of a part of this pano. I've modified the sky to show a more natural rendering.
Nirgal
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Jul 7 2006, 03:16 PM) *
Hello smile.gif

I've made the Sol 869 color panorama of Corner.... hu.. Beagle Crater.

In a second time, I wanted to make a desktop picture of a part of this pano. I've modified the sky to show a more natural rendering.

Good work, Ant103 !
Very nice atmosphere and color mood with the long late-evening shadows smile.gif
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jul 7 2006, 07:52 AM) *
That was a quite effective anaglyph for these eyes, James. Thanks. smile.gif It's scary to note that you made it without glasses! wink.gif

Yes - was that without the red/green glasses or without the reading glasses? Or both?

Bob Shaw
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Jul 8 2006, 03:21 AM) *
Yes - was that without the red/green glasses or without the reading glasses? Or both?

Bob Shaw

Without the red/green, I'd have no chance without my normal glasses. blink.gif laugh.gif

James
fredk
Sol 870 L5 and L7 pancams are down, and with this frame we now have pretty complete colour coverage of Beagle crater.

That frame also contains our first L7 look at our old friend the beacon - the "bump" on the horizon (near rim of VC) just right of centre. Compare with the corresponding L2 image.
Ant103
Thanks Fredk wink.gif

And I've take the Opportunity rolleyes.gif to make the color picture of this panorama.

(click to enlarge the image)

From this, I've made a four time vertical exageration of the horizon to view VC features wink.gif

Click to view attachment

Nobody can confirm the labels I've put on the image?
fredk
Thanks for that ant! Could you post your original (unstretched) colour mosaic as well? I'd love to see more of Beagle in colour!
jamescanvin
Yeah, I noticed your hint as well fredk wink.gif

Here is my version of the sol 870 drive direction mosaic.

James.

@Ant103: I really would advise not using the words 'approximate true colour' unless you are using the calibrated images - the jpegs are not and never can be.
algorimancer
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Jul 18 2006, 05:38 PM) *
From this, I've made a four time vertical exageration of the horizon to view VC features wink.gif

Click to view attachment

Nobody can confirm the labels I've put on the image?

Near as I can tell, the feature that you have labeled "12 m crater" is the crater I've been referring to as "Delta" (for reference, see: http://www.clarkandersen.com/Jpeg2000/Jpeg2000.htm). I'm not sure about the labels for "Beacon" and "Possible Entry", but I suspect that something in those structures immediately to the right of "Possible Entry" is "Epsilon".
fredk
Beautiful pan James!

Ant, you're definitely correct with the beacon identification. Right edge of VC should be somewhat to the left of where you put it, about halfway to your putative entry point.
hortonheardawho
L2R2 1x4 anaglyph view from west of Beagle:

fredk
Spectacular anaglyph, Horton! Notice the small crater (Beta it's been called) just to the left of Beagle.

This is the greatest crater-approach view we've had since Endurance!
Ant103
Yes, we really have the feeling that we have a crater. It's amazing ohmy.gif wink.gif
jamescanvin
Nearly there.

Quick sol 891 navcam stitch of Beagle.

Click to view attachment

Wow! ohmy.gif this place is going to be great. smile.gif
jamescanvin
891 Pancams ohmy.gif smile.gif
diane
Wow. Not like any crater we've seen before. Those big blocks of rock in the far rim are interesting. To my untrained eyes, this crater does look rather "recent." Some of those rocks in the foreground look interesting, too.

I was kind of hoping that the SE corner might have an entrance to the crater, but now it looks like it may be too rocky. Maybe there's a good "ramp" to the left of that big hump in the near wall. Wonder what the exploration plan will be...
stevesliva
I can't imagine they'll enter this crater if they can get some good pancams of the various slopes from the rim.
hortonheardawho
L2R2 1x4 anaglyph of sol 891 view of Beagle:

ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (stevesliva @ Jul 27 2006, 06:06 PM) *
I can't imagine they'll enter this crater if they can get some good pancams of the various slopes from the rim.

I can't imagine them NOT going in there. Remember they are going on the assumption that she could fail any day now. This is a chance to get a look at some deeper layering that we haven't seen since Erebus, and it will be weeks if not longer before there is any chance of descending down into Victoria. Lots of serious failures could happen between here and there. If you ask me this is not only convenient but it's a critical location toward mapping the greater Meridiani sequence. I say we go in and do a few scratch and sniffs on the layering, especially that nice slab if we can get near it (since my Victoria arrival prediction is blown to hell anyway.)

The entire South rim looks accessible -- especially from Horton's glyph. Remember this is the kind of terrain these rovers were designed for....think of the Pathfinder and Viking sites, that's more or less what the designers were expecting.

My guess is that the interior is mildly rocky and blocky with a little puddle of sand in the middle.
CosmicRocker
hortonheardawho: Awesome anaglyph...thanks. I was holding out for the missing frame, but alas, the R2 was only a partial image. Don't you hate when that happens?

ElkGroveDan: I agree that "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," as the old adage goes. It looks as if Opportunity could easily enter in a number of places. I don't think it will be very deep, so we'll have to see if there are any inside targets worth going after. I am praying for a relatively intact, and deeper section. If I were driving, and if access ends up being as easy as it appears, I'd dip inside just to get some in-situ measurements. It looks a lot like a mini-Endurance, though perhaps not as steep, doesn't it.
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Jul 27 2006, 07:28 PM) *
...Wow! ohmy.gif this place is going to be great. smile.gif
I almost missed that exclamation. What do you mean by "going to be?" biggrin.gif
dilo
Stunning place, finally!
The fact that terrain rocky texture appear preserved even in the rim internal side disappoint me and seems to suggest a "smooth impact"...
Stu
Horton! Good grief, give us some warning next time! I almost fell off my chair and into the crater when I put my 3D glasses on! ohmy.gif

One of your best so far, definitely.

The interior looks a fascinating place, just crying out to be explored properly by a guy (or gal) with a battered rucksack, hammer and pocket lens...

One day... one day... rolleyes.gif
AndyG
Horton, thanks a bunch! That's wonderful. Possibly one of the most evocative images I've seen from Oppy ever. Truly an alien landscape, but with a beauty all of its own.

Andy
Decepticon
WOW!

Lots of interesting rocks here.
Sunspot
No drive today.. must be back in restricted sols sad.gif
climber
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jul 28 2006, 12:46 PM) *
No drive today.. must be back in restricted sols sad.gif

Most probably charging batteries & studing what (and how) to do next. Both scientists and drivers need a little time to study the situation. Could be the first time Oppy has to drive around rocks, so she need time to figure out how to do that (I suggest she'll have to call Spirit over the week-end) biggrin.gif
Now, once they'll approch Beagle, if they can find a place with more North tilt, the'll be able to do more science per sol; that's good news.
Request : I discover Horton anaglyph, now, at work, and don't have my 3D glaces. Can somebody post 3D glasses here for me? blink.gif
djellison
Climber, send me an email with your postal address ( doug@rlproject.com ) and I'll sort you out.

I think the orig quesiton posed by this thread....is Corner crater a waste of time...has been answered....it looks like a scientific gold mine. we may find it to be the same material as Eagle, Fram and Endurance, or it may provide something different...either way it will teach us something.

Also - from a selfish perspective, I hope they hang around to do enough imaging to create a DEM as they did with Eagle and Endurance.

Doug
Stu
Can't wait for Oppy to start exploring Beagle, it looks like an absolutely fascinating place. I'm particularly interested in what appear to be several shattercones around the rim, and that sloping "scree" of dark, cobbly material on the left hand slope of the crater...

And in advance of the rather "deep" geological discussions you guys will enter into, I've just forked out £4 for a second hand copy of a "Dictionary of geologic terms" so I can (try to!) follow what the **** you're all talking about! wink.gif
Bill Harris
Looks to be a fascinating place. Not as neat and tidy as we've been seeing, it rather reminds me of a of a pile of minespoil from this view. I imagine that the drivers will look at the crater access and look at what is visible in the crater and assess the risk:benefit before going into the crater. I already see umpty-dozen rocks laying around that I'd like to thwack.

I note with interest that one of those static non-moving ripples doesn't seem to be. wink.gif

Stu, I find that a quick-and-easy geo dictionary is as close a Google. That is what I use when I need a refresher.

--Bill
jvandriel
The panoramic view of Beagle Crater.

Taken on Sol 891 with the L2 pancam.

jvandriel
aldo12xu
Damn! I'm at work and can't enjoy Horton's anaglyph (no 3D glassses, can't do cross-eyed). But just playing with individual frames using the parallel method of viewing, it sure seems to be an amazing site.

Beagle seems to be even more recent than Fram. I think it would be a lucky break if we get a continuous stratigraphic section. But even so, the one huge block in this image shows a possible contact that'd be nice to evaluate, which suggests there will be other blocks of varying composition lying around that can be sampled more easily.

By the way, would someone be able to drop the mystery man into any of these mosaics?
Phil Stooke
A couple of things derived from James's navcam minipan of Beagle:

a polar version...

Click to view attachment

and a stretched version...

Click to view attachment

The stretch is interesting... on the right is Victoria's outer slope, the fabled near rim. On the left is the rise in the etched terrain that Opportunity has just driven over. Between them is a distant rise in the etched terrain to the east of Erebus.

Phil
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 28 2006, 04:12 AM) *
And in advance of the rather "deep" geological discussions you guys will enter into, I've just forked out £4 for a second hand copy of a "Dictionary of geologic terms" so I can (try to!) follow what the **** you're all talking about! wink.gif

http://www.geotech.org/survey/geotech/dictiona.html

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/geology/USGSNPS...ossaryAtoC.html
aldo12xu
Here's a very thorough geological dictionary, although you do have to put up with one or two pop ads.

http://www.webref.org/geology/geology.htm
Toma B
rolleyes.gif smile.gif laugh.gif smile.gif rolleyes.gif
Wow!!!
What a view! I wonder if there is a little dune field inside Beagle Crater...images from orbit doesn't have the enough resolution to show us what is it like in the center......anybody for a quick bet?
Horton that anaglyph is just awesome!!! I have showed it to all co-workers and they were amazed!!!
Thank you!!!
BrianL
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 28 2006, 02:48 AM) *
Horton! Good grief, give us some warning next time! I almost fell off my chair and into the crater when I put my 3D glasses on! ohmy.gif

Sigh... the curse of being 3D impaired. Could someone be so kind as to do a flicker GIF of this amazing sight. Please and thank you.

Brian
fredk
Here are a few mystery men, in a sol 891 navcam mosaic from James Canvin.

The distances are 4.1m, 9.9m, and 57m, according to AlgorimancerPG.

I can't wait to get some men down into the bottom of Beagle!
Click to view attachment
climber
I finaly get my 3D glasses (thanks Doug for your proposition). I think Horton's 3D view is falling within the Best 5 of all Mer mission. I have no word (even in french wink.gif ).
Do you also feel that Beagle seams to be hand-made? A bit like a cake! It's interesting to note the contrast between the rim/interior of the crater and the surrounding. While approching, we found peables, rocks, etc, that made me feel we'll find a very disturbed place at Beagle. Even if it's a bit true in front of us were we are and up to the rim, the interior look quite smooth : the rocks seam to follow the shape of the crater.
Phil Stooke
Well, it's certainly very scenic, but I can't get too excited about spending much time here. I don't think we'll see any stratigraphy here, just a jumble of ejected rock slabs. Unless multispectral or TES shows something different from recent rock areas I would press on after a good photo survey.

Phil
Bill Harris
Phil, that is where I was heading with my "reminds me of a of a pile of minespoil" comment. We can look at the broken fragments and see if we can match any fragments up with visible stratigraphy in the crater, but I'd suspect that the interior of the crater is too jumbled to see in-place strata. But this will give us the chance to see several "hand specimens" of what exists in the subsurface. I keep hoping to find some sort of marker bed here, that Holy Grail of stratigraphy, but I think they'll keep saying "Ni!". smile.gif
--Bill
Mizar
If I should say something here about Horton's anaglyph... that is a typical hortonheardawho workmanship.

Q. What does that mean ?
A. It means that the quality of his work is always superb.
So it is. That's one of of his big effort to show us the real (not only Horticolor) Mars.

Q. Huh... what do you really mean with that Mizar ??
A. I don't know, it really opens up my mind... not only a red star out there but ... It's Mars!

Q. Mizar ? ?
A. Ohh... It's only my mindbending fantasy, the way I see it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.