Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Erebus
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
helvick
QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Jan 24 2006, 04:24 PM)
Karst (but no polje) anyone?

I dunno - I see Karst as a description and I get images of lots of water and limestone. I'm not a geologist though so maybe I'm dead wrong.
Marz
Wow: oppy really moved today; probably like 5 whole meters! tongue.gif

The nighttime shot has splooges that could be clouds?

Here is a cobble monster:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...KSP2283L1M1.JPG

What the heck are these cobbles again? Very weird... Old basalt inclusions that were weathered out from the evaporite layers?

"Feels so good to be on the road again..." wheel.gif
djellison
QUOTE (Marz @ Jan 24 2006, 04:25 PM)
Wow:  oppy really moved today; probably like 5 whole meters!  tongue.gif

No - after the first little bump to the interesting terrain, Oppy has been studying it for 4 days now

Doug
Marz
QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 24 2006, 10:28 AM)
No - after the first little bump to the interesting terrain, Oppy has been studying it for 4 days now

Doug

Oops unsure.gif - I shoulda checked the hazcam images first... not the first time my perspective has been faked out by new pictures appearing at exploratorium.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Marz @ Jan 24 2006, 08:23 PM)
Oops  unsure.gif - I shoulda checked the hazcam images first... not the first time my perspective has been faked out by new pictures appearing at exploratorium.

Check for the site/drive id of any image. The current one is 64KS and it would change after a driving.
Shaka
QUOTE (Marz @ Jan 24 2006, 09:23 AM)
Oops  unsure.gif - I shoulda checked the hazcam images first... not the first time my perspective has been faked out by new pictures appearing at exploratorium.

It's not your fault. The imagination desperately seeks variety after months of sameness.
I suppose there is some reason to keep taking these duplicate (triplicate? quintuplicate? dodeca... never mind) pans. Wouldn't want the camera shutter to rust shut. Still, for a two-year old, little Oppie is starting to show her age. Is there any risk of wearing out her cameras before we get to Mogollon? Sigh... wheel.gif
All I can say is: Overgaard had better have verified spittoon...?...typhoon...?..whatever cross-bedding or I will bite this pencil in half!
(insert emoticon for frustrated forbearance)
jvandriel
A 360 degree panoramic view around Erebus.

Taken with the L0 navcam on Sol 717.

jvandriel
alan
724 p1201.04 0 0 0 0 0 0 front_haz_penultimate_1_bpp_crit19
724 p1201.04 0 0 0 0 0 0 front_haz_penultimate_1_bpp_crit19
724 p1214.05 0 0 0 0 0 0 front_haz_ultimate_4bpp_pri15
724 p1214.05 0 0 0 0 0 0 front_haz_ultimate_4bpp_pri15
724 p1316.01 0 0 0 0 0 0 rear_haz_ultimate_4_bpp_pri41
724 p1585.00 0 0 0 0 0 0 navcam_cloud_4x1_dwnsmp_RVRAz_calstart
724 p1675.01 0 0 0 0 0 0 navcam_5x1_az_126_1_bpp
724 p1775.01 0 0 0 0 0 0 navcam_5x1_az_306_1_bpp

I wonder how far she will move this time
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
RNeuhaus
Sol 722. Today pictures in qt.exploratorium, I don't see any wheeling pictures but just sky pictures and lots of MI pictures. The site and drive code are still since November: 64KW.

Hope that the Sol 724, next monday, we are going to see the first movements. It seems to be toward between the azimuth 126 and 306 degree as it is shown two last navcam commands.

Rodolfo
MaxSt
New press release:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre.../20060202a.html
abalone
QUOTE (MaxSt @ Feb 4 2006, 09:19 PM)

Interesting section from above web page

On short drives over smooth terrain, Opportunity now holds the arm in a "hover-stow" position, the posture seen in this movie clip of a testbed rover inside the In-Situ Instrument Laboratory at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. The elbow is held forward and the tool turret is held above the rover deck. On longer or rougher drives, Opportunity still holds the arm in the original stow position used throughout the mission, tucked underneath the deck.
Shaka

Mission Update by Steve Squyres

February 5, 2006

Wow... super Sunday on Mars.

Just the story at Meridiani would be good enough. We've wrapped up all the MI work on Upper Overgaard. It was a struggle, but everything's done, it's all in focus, and we're ready to move on. We had a go/no-go meeting this morning, and with everything we wanted at Upper Overgaard in the can, we're now ready to move on to Roosevelt. Commands have been uplinked, and we'll see what we see next.   

Thanks, Steve, da MAN!
Has anybody sorted out yet where "Roosevelt" is? Is it in the immediate vicinity? Or is it perhaps (IhopeIhopeIhope..) down toward the rim? unsure.gif

It's hard to think about Erebus, with Home Plate dazzling us so, but we should try to keep up. (How the holyheartahell could we cope if there were 3 or 4 rovers? blink.gif )
Tesheiner
Oppy moved again on sol 724 as planned. However she's not yet in place for IDD work on "Roosevelt".

> Has anybody sorted out yet where "Roosevelt" is? Is it in the immediate vicinity? Or is it perhaps (IhopeIhopeIhope..) down toward the rim?

Roosevelt is here: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...KCP2536L7M1.JPG

And where is it?
No it's not down toward the rim, but slightly back. This is a cropped navcam panorama --- man! I did the 360º pano on 24 Nov; quite a long time isn't it? --- in which you can see both the current fhazcam fov and Roosevelt.

Click to view attachment (127k)

Oppy should turn a little bit to the right to see it.
Shaka
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 6 2006, 01:44 AM)
Oppy moved again on sol 724 as planned. However she's not yet in place for IDD work on "Roosevelt".

> Has anybody sorted out yet where "Roosevelt" is? Is it in the immediate vicinity? Or is it perhaps (IhopeIhopeIhope..) down toward the rim? 

Roosevelt is here: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...KCP2536L7M1.JPG

And where is it?
No it's not down toward the rim, but slightly back. This is a cropped navcam panorama --- man! I did the 360º pano on 24 Nov; quite a long time isn't it? --- in which you can see both the current fhazcam fov and Roosevelt.

Oppy should turn a little bit to the right to see it.

I am truly impressed! I have to ask, Tesch. How are you privy to all this inside information ? Have you found a wormhole connecting Spain to JPL? Are you able to channel Steve's soul? Does he know about it?
I assume there must be a website somewhere that only you know about?
I am insanely jealous.
mars_armer
Click to view attachment
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (Shaka @ Feb 6 2006, 06:48 PM)
I am truly impressed! I have to ask, Tesch. How are you privy to all this inside information ? Have you found a wormhole connecting Spain to JPL? Are you able to channel Steve's soul? Does he know about it?
I assume there must be a website somewhere that only you know about? 
I am insanely jealous.

You can find out about the anticipated actions of MER by visiting the following URL: http://marswatch.astro.cornell.edu/merweb/..._transit_R8.rml
Tesheiner usually visit here in order to inform us about the future MER's activities. wink.gif (not Tesch but Tesh...).

Rodolfo
Sunspot
....i'd say we'll be here for at least another two weeks.
Shaka
QUOTE (mars_armer @ Feb 6 2006, 03:09 PM)

God, that's beautiful! ohmy.gif Did you just make that with Photoshop, or did you fly over in a helicopter? Where have you been all our lives? Fly over to Home Plate will you? I'm still not clear where Spirit is relative to NW HP.
Shaka
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Feb 6 2006, 03:15 PM)
You can find out about the anticipated actions of MER by visiting the following URL: http://marswatch.astro.cornell.edu/merweb/..._transit_R8.rml
Tesheiner usually visit here in order to inform us about the future MER's activities.  wink.gif  (not Tesch but Tesh...).

Rodolfo

Wow! I went there and had a look. blink.gif I have about as much chance of channeling Steve as of figuring out that Portal . It's lucky we have Tesh!
Tesheiner
Another little bump on sol 725.

Sol 724 fhaz: http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...L0P1214L0M1.JPG
Sol 725 fhaz: http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...LOP1214L0M1.JPG

What is nearly in front of the forward right wheel is Roosevelt.

PS: Shouldn't this place (Olympia) be renamed Purgatory II? What a sloooooooow pace!
Bill Harris
What is nearly in front of the forward right wheel is Roosevelt.

PS: Shouldn't this place (Olympia) be renamed Purgatory II? What a sloooooooow pace!

Hopefully we'll also get a close look at that fracture fill near by.

I agree!! The cross bedding is interesting, but we do need to get to the scarp at Mogollon. IMO, that should be as important as the scarp at HP.

--Bill
Shaka
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...L0P2595R1M1.JPG
So this is Roosevelt. Is it obvious to anyone what has attracted Oppy here? I know I would like to get a close look at the broken slab edge on the right, but I don'y see anything yet. I can't see any festoons. unsure.gif
Why Roosevelt ? I don't follow the theme after Olympia
SigurRosFan
Good overview, mars_armer. And Rimrock is between Bellemont and Opportunity?

"Opportunity examined targets on the outcrop called "Rimrock" in front of the rover ..." Rimrock is Bellemont? Help! cool.gif

http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/gallery/press/o.../20060104a.html
SigurRosFan
In this image Roosevelt is behind the rover ... south is up.

Targets at Rimrock and Overgaard (446 KB):
jvandriel
A 360 degree panoramic view taken with the L0 navcam on Sol 724.

jvandriel
jvandriel
and a mosaic of 4 images taken on Sol 725 with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (SigurRosFan @ Feb 7 2006, 03:11 PM)
In this image Roosevelt is behind the rover ... south is up.

Targets at Rimrock and Overgaard (446 KB):

Very nice picture and its color seems to be truly Mars reality.

Rodolfo
SigurRosFan
Image by Dilo, recolored by Abalone ...
jvandriel
The complete 360 degree panoramic view around Erebus on Sol 725.

Taken with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
Shaka
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Feb 9 2006, 11:27 AM)
The complete 360 degree panoramic view around Erebus on Sol 725.

jvandriel

Nice pan, J. How many's that now?
...sigh...
jabe
QUOTE (Shaka @ Feb 10 2006, 07:01 PM)
How many's that  now?
...sigh...

I think we now know the place where we have taken the most pics... laugh.gif
Are they finding that much new/interesting here or are they just being overtly cautious?
jb
Phil Stooke
Here's jvandriel's Sol 725 pan in polar form. This is from Roosevelt.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Ant103
Hello!

I'm new on this forum (I had put a brief présentation of me in an other section).

I see many images you doo with raws images of MER. This is a great work wink.gif

I want to show to you a color panorama of Erebus (I know, with a little late... biggrin.gif) :

Medium resolution

Full resolution (6.46 Mo)

Enjoy!
Bill Harris
That is a good panorama. Welcome aboard.

The Erebus pan is not late. Oppy is STILL THERE and hasn't moved much, so it's is still "current news"....

--Bill
CosmicRocker
Wow! That is absolutely amazing. You also have quite an interesting and informative web site. The language is no problem, since the Google translation to English is actually quite decent.
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

Thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us. I look forward to seeing more of it. Welcome to UMSF. smile.gif
Tesheiner
Oppy moved again on sol 731.
Another bump to study "Bellemont"?

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/sta...tml#opportunity
The short-term goal is to finish studying the "Olympia" outcrop by mid next week. The final feature that will be characterized in this location is called "Bellemont."

BTW, where is the IDD? Stowed?

Click to view attachment --> Click to view attachment --> Click to view attachment
(Sol 724) -> (Sol 725) -> (Sol 731)
djellison
That last image is indeed, a properly stowed IDD - look at the little metal bracket on the left - that's the normal position ohmy.gif

ahh - images out of sequence.

Grr

Doug
Tesheiner
Not too fast Doug.

See here: http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...NTP1214L0M1.JPG

MIs and all the stuff are being executed on sol 732.

BUT, I think some fireworks would be ok after the next drive. smile.gif

Edited: This is the whole sequence of sol 731's fhaz pics:
11:09 - IDD unstowed
11:19 - IDD stowed
11:43 - Driving...
14:06 - Already stopped
14:14 - IDD unstowed
Sunspot
Can anyone see whats different about this Olympia region that warrants such an extended stay?
Cugel
What amazes me most is that after more than 2 months of testing and thinking....
the solution seems to be to simply carry on with the arm stowed like it has always been stowed.
Does this proof that the rover operators actually do believe that Oppy has eternal life?
Or have they build up sufficient faith in the shoulder actuator to proceed as if nothing happened?
djellison
For short bumps - they plan to stow it up high, in the hover position above the front of the left front solar array.

But for longer drives, it seems the most sensible thing to do is to park it properly.

It's a delicate balance - you have to do a lot of studying with the engineering model rovers on the ground to find out the very best way to do this sort of stuff.

It's like good old Purgatory. Do NOTHING - make sure you understand the problem- don't make it worse by guessing a solution and trying it. They took a long time to find out what we all thought MIGHT be the answer - foot to the floor for two weeks - but they had to take the time to do the experiments on the ground to find out.

The same is true here - they have to consider the arm - the danger of stowing it somewhere off-nominal, the risk of getting it forever stuck half-stowed, the potential for and risk of damage to arm, rover, isntruments, or all three.

It's a very delicate, carefull procedure to find out the very best way to do something unusual.

It's not like someone can go and give it a kick if it stops working.

Doug
dvandorn
Yes... but... in this new world, where IDD deploys are going to have to be more rare than they were (and have therefore become the new coin of the realm), we are arguably *wasting* a lot of them here.

There had better be a whole *sheaf* of publications coming out of this extended stop...

-the other Doug
jvandriel
The 360 degree panoramic view on Sol 731.

jvandriel
djellison
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Feb 14 2006, 03:55 PM) *
Yes... but... in this new world, where IDD deploys are going to have to be more rare than they were (and have therefore become the new coin of the realm), we are arguably *wasting* a lot of them here.

Well - they've parked the IDD once since the problem arose - arguably a sensible thing to do to check the IDD performance in and around the parked position in preperation for the next time it's used.

Arguably the most interesting MI targets of the entire mission, and only one actual IDD deply.... 'wasting a lot' - I don't think so.

Doug
Marz
Agreed, I thought once the arm-deployment problem arose, the plan was to do as much science as possible in the area using the "partially stowed" manuver. Once done, they'd park it and get on to redder pastures. So maybe in a Sol or two, we'll either get a nice view of Mogollon, or start blazing a B-line towards V, for victory (go tell your friends). pancam.gif

I'd imagine the science team is painfully aware that aging is starting to put pressure on how to wisely use the rovers. I wonder if Spirit will move between targets also using the partially-stowed IDD?
Tesheiner
Bets for THE driving sol?
Mine is sol 735.
mhoward
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Feb 14 2006, 05:28 PM) *
Bets for THE driving sol?
Mine is sol 735.

I think that's the best best. I'll take 734. We'll have to define what THE driving sol is, though, if they decide to go after another target in the semi-immediate area. But most likely we'll know THE driving sol when we see it smile.gif
Phil Stooke
This is jvandriel's pan (with a little cosmetic work) made into a polar view. Comparison with the previous one shows the extent of the short drive.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jabe
I'm going for sol 740...
shall we set 30 m as a real drive distance? or the drive where they must store the arm in its cradle? is driving to the "cliff" of erebus (I forget what it is called smile.gif ) considered a drive?
jb
Bill Harris
As much as I'm going bonkers to get to the dark bluff-forming unit at Mogollon-Payson, I can see their reluctance to travel with the IDD unstowed. Whereas we now have limited use of the IDD with the shoulder motor problem, if it jams while unstowed and traveling the use of the IDD could be eliminated or the entire mission could be jeopardized. I feel that the Mogollon Rim will be a site as wonderful as Homeplate.

I think that Oppy is on the way to the Mogollon Rim and may be setting up for traveling. I've annotated Phil's Polar Pan with a likely (potential) route: red is how we came, blue is how we may go.

--Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.