Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Erebus
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Nix
Okay now we clearly see the dish of Erebus.

Thanks dilo smile.gif

Nico
Toma B
There is some crater in the distance on this pancan picture...(1P186690897EFF64KCP2289R1M1)
Does anybody know which one?

Click to view attachment
dvandorn
If that picture was taken in the afternoon, then it's looking to the south-southeast. And that would be in the direction of Victoria.

But if it was taken in the morning, it's looking to the north-northwest, and it would be looking in the direction of Endurance.

Looks a little large for Endurance, doesn't it?

-the other Doug
Nix
Endurance does look like that. The eastern part of the rim appears higher, as it was visible from the 'Rub Al Khali' position.

Nico
djellison
I'd have said Endurance and the Heatshield

Doug
dilo
Toma's question inspired me to take a better look in this direction...
I manually stitched 4 PanCam R1 images from Sol659, centered around Endurance. This is a 5x stretch of the far North horizon (horizontal FOV is 54.5 degree); I think there are many interesting features:
Click to view attachment
In particular, we see on the extreme left a clearly elevated terrain, hiding the farthest horizon (so even higher than present Oppy camera position)...
In the following enhanced version I tried to find some features but, apart obvious Endurance/heat-shield identification, the others are uncertain.
Click to view attachment
Any suggestion?
Nix
smile.gif Could be -I doubt the visibility of the huge northern crater.

Nico
edstrick
Before it was announced that Oppy was going to head south to Victoria, I was expecting the destination would be north, to that "dimple" crater. At that time, I had seen no adequate coverage of the landing ellipse or points south beyond the north edge of the etched terrain.

I'm pretty sure that the dimple craters, which get pretty freaking big north of the central part of the landing ellipse (I think) predate the sulfate rock layer, but were formed in the piles of Sediments at Meridiani. The sediments within their rims seem to have compacted, and the entire overburden has "hinged" downwards at the buried crater rim, leading to the sulfate rocks being exposed at the hinge. They could predate the entire sediment pile, but I doubt it, as their abundance is much lower than the abundance of craters in nearby Noachian Cratered Terrain.
atomoid
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Dec 10 2005, 01:39 AM)
I need to automate my stereograms; I do them the old-fashioned cut-and-paste way.

---Bill

my favorite is StereoPhoto Maker, has a spartan interface but its utilitarian enough to do just about everything you need for any stereo format. nice easy very useful alignment tool. its too good to be free... but it is.
Bill Harris
That is beautiful: I just missed seeing that the other day when I worked up the "North Erebus Dune Field" color images. Dilo's stretch is truly evocative showing Endurance with the Erebus dunes in the foreground. We need to work up a vertical exagerration in color...

It makes sense that Endurance is quite visible from this location-- remember that an exaggerated image made during the approach to the Erebus Highway showed that this western rim is on a topographic high, so this is a vantage point. We need to start looking for Victoria to the south; I'll imagine it will be visible once Oppy gets to Payson...

Let's get to work... we have near images and far images to play with.

--Bill
Nix
here's a quick autostich for sol 659

False color

Color

Nico
mhoward
QUOTE (Toma B @ Dec 10 2005, 07:27 AM)
There is some crater in the distance on this pancan picture...(1P186690897EFF64KCP2289R1M1)
Does anybody know which one?

It's Endurance. smile.gif

Upper right corner:
dilo
Great stitch, Nico... from first one, here the pseudo-color stretched North horizon requested by Bill (definition is lower due to the left-cam):
mhoward
Oppy's shadow again: 1P187593823EFF64KCP2425L7M1.JPG

dilo
A beautiful view also in the opposite direction, with a bluish sunset glow and amazing outcrop view...
mhoward
QUOTE (dilo @ Dec 12 2005, 08:13 PM)
A beautiful view also in the opposite direction, with a bluish sunset glow and amazing outcrop view...

Nice!
Nix
ohmy.gif very nice

Nico
dilo
Yes, a beautiful way to celebrate the BirthSol, in absence of driving... wink.gif
Viva Oppy!
jamescanvin
Erebus 360 pan in colour:

Click image.

There are a few brightness problems, I think my program is getting confused with the large areas of light outcrop vs the dark ripples. Either that or there were some fluffy clouds going over, causing shadows! tongue.gif

I also haven't attempted to add in any of the images of the near field from the deck pan (al-a jvandriel's b/w pan) which I'm pretty sure would break my program as it currently stands, so you'll have to make do with 'just' the 27x3! smile.gif

Enjoy,

James
dilo
Beautiful as usual, James! I will use also in my next route map...
PS: which program are you using for stitch?
Toma B
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 15 2005, 03:48 AM)
Erebus 360 pan in colour:

Thank you jamescalvin...Absolutely amazingly beautiful...

BTW...I'm so glad that you use some of that .jpg compression so that "THE BIG ONE" is not 50+MB.... smile.gif
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (atomoid @ Dec 9 2005, 04:41 AM)
it amazing how much were missing when were not looking at the stereo views

I've made similar comments here before. If you are not viewing the scenes through all of the rover's pairs of eyes, you are missing the real pictures. Fortunately, some web sites generate the anaglyphs automagically. Some people prefer to look at the raw stereopairs, but for those you need to mostly make your own. Personally, I enjoy the anaglyphs automatically created by MMB each time I update my images. It makes it so easy.
Phil Stooke
Fabulous pan, James. You're doing some amazing work there. Dilo's polar version looks good too - notice how the texture of the horizon changes. The degree of roughness of the horizon varies with distance. The horizon to the south is not so far away now, so a new vista awaits us in the not too distant future... I hope.

Phil
Bill Harris
And below is my adaption of Jame's fine 360* pan, exaggerated 5x and cropped to show background/horizon features.

The next target, Mogollon Rim and Payson, are due south in the center. Erebus crater is bowl-like to the left with the "North Erebus Dune Field" on the left. Endurance crater can be seen on the horizon on the left side. Of interest, the topographic high south of Erebus can be clearly seen; recall that Victoria is currently hidden by that rise.

--Bill
djellison
That's the first time I've seen Erebus look like a crater smile.gif

Great processing.

Doug
AndyG
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Dec 15 2005, 03:10 PM)
...recall that Victoria is currently hidden by that rise.

...it's rarely out of my thoughts! smile.gif

It's about 2100m to the north rim of Victoria: if the rise wasn't there we'd be seeing the rim from here. Heck, we'd be able to see both rims from here - there's a 3.08km horizon at a 1.4m pancam mast height, assuming a spherical Mars.

How far is the rise from Oppy's current location?

Andy G
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (AndyG @ Dec 15 2005, 10:45 AM)
...it's rarely out of my thoughts!  smile.gif

It's about 2100m to the north rim of Victoria: if the rise wasn't there we'd be seeing the rim from here. Heck, we'd be able to see both rims from here - there's a 3.08km horizon at a 1.4m pancam mast height, assuming a spherical Mars.

How far is the rise from Oppy's current location?

Andy G

Bill's comment is right.

It is not possible to see Victoria's rim since they are in lower position. According to MOLA pictures is that there is around 100-150 meters of sand around Victoria crater. These sand land is a negative slope from the outcrop toward to Victoria Crater. So the highest point close to Victoria Crater is ones of outcrop/dunes.

Rodolfo
Bill Harris
The MOLA (laser altimeter) data suggests that the rise tops out somewhat south of Erebus. Do a forum search for "hell of a view" for details. And it should be quite a view-- Victoria to the south, Erebus to the north with the "North Erebus Dunefield" in the background and Endurance on the north horizon.

I'd guess that we _might_ be able to start seeing Victoria once we get past Mogollon and south of Endurance.

--Bill
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Dec 15 2005, 12:15 PM)
Bill's comment is right.

It is not possible to see Victoria's rim since they are in lower position. According to MOLA pictures is that there is around 100-150 meters of sand around Victoria crater. These sand land is a negative slope from the outcrop toward to Victoria Crater. So the highest point close to Victoria Crater is ones of outcrop/dunes.

Rodolfo

The next picture edited by Tesheiner on June 10,2005, you can see the route relieve between Endurance and Victoria Crater. http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ype=post&id=659

Rodolfo
jamescanvin
QUOTE (dilo @ Dec 15 2005, 05:35 PM)
Beautiful as usual, James! I will use also in my next route map...
PS: which program are you using for stitch?

Another nice polar veiw dilo, glad it will make it into your fabulous route map. smile.gif

I use Hugin to do the stiching. All the brightness and colour matching however is done using a home grown program and using the Hugin save file to work out which edges join up.

QUOTE (Toma B @ Dec 15 2005, 06:29 PM)
BTW...I'm so glad that you use some of that .jpg compression so that "THE BIG ONE" is not 50+MB.... smile.gif

Your welcome. After all, the raw images are jpg's, so there really is very little difference in image quality between the ~10Mb full resolution lightly jpeged image and the 200Mb raw tiff file that comes out of the sticher!

James
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 15 2005, 09:18 AM)
That's the first time I've seen Erebus look like a crater smile.gif

Great processing.

Doug

That really was an awesome panorama that James produced. I was truly amazed. I meant to comment on that last night. I also meant to ask how he did it. But in the 3D views, it has looked like a crater for some time, now.

Sorry. I just had to make one more pitch for that "other" dimension.
edstrick
Some of us can't do the stereo analglyphs at all. About 10% of the population is more or less stereo-blind. 20/200 vision in one eye (amblyopia) is my reason.

A similar fraction is color-deficient. Usually some form of red/green colorblind, and most of those are male (sex-linked trait). I'm a color nut so I'm glad I have no problem there.
jvandriel
A 360 degree horizon panorama around Erebus taken with the L1 pancam on Sol 668.

Consisting of 27 images.

jvandriel
RNeuhaus
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Dec 16 2005, 07:56 AM)
A 360 degree horizon panorama around Erebus taken with the L1 pancam on Sol 668.

Consisting of 27 images.

jvandriel

Very good picture. On the Left side point to North, in the middle point to South and right side point again to North. Hope the MER team finish soon the solution to the IDD problem. There are two interesting places to visit: the big dark stone and the Mogollon rim. Both are in the South side. The closer is of the dark stone.

Rodolfo
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (edstrick @ Dec 16 2005, 02:22 AM)
Some of us can't do the stereo analglyphs at all.  About 10% of the population is more or less stereo-blind.  20/200 vision in one eye (amblyopia) is my reason.

A similar fraction is color-deficient.  Usually some form of red/green colorblind, and most of those are male (sex-linked trait).  I'm a color nut so I'm glad I have no problem there.

I didn't mean to be insensitive to those things. I was just ignorant of them.
edstrick
Sensitivity, Schmensitivity!

Most of us are DEFECTIVE in one way or the other. It's just that more and more of the population is being taught to have a chip-on-their-shoulder and suffer wounded self esteem at any real or imagined slight.

I've even taken stereo-pair photos on an experimental basis, with the intent of eventually playing with them with software that can play cool tricks to put the data in a mode I can see. I've got a kewl stereo pair with about a 50 foot baseline at Oak Creek Canyon south of Flagstaff. The stereo is there, though I can't see it directly. It's on 25+ year old ektachrome waiting for me to play with it.
RNeuhaus
The most pictures which arrived today at exploratorium ftp server are probably of sol 662 (now it is 676). These pictures are of type EDN which does not show in the Marsrovers web page http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/gallery/all/opportunity.html
The PANCAM directory of Oppy for today from exploratorium there are many pictures around the Pancam mast.

Probably it is just checking out how clean are they?

Still no news since it has not moved.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...KCP2292L5M1.JPG

Rodolfo
djellison
Yes - it's doing a deck pan self portrait.

Doug
Tesheiner
Another 360º color panorama of Erebus... huh.gif

CODE
678 p2260.04 9   0   0   9   1   19   pancam_erebus_col_7_R257
678 p2296.03 9   0   0   9   1   19   pancam_erebus_col_1_R257
678 p2297.03 18  0   0   18  2   38   pancam_erebus_col_2_3_R257
678 p2298.03 9   0   0   9   1   19   pancam_erebus_col_4_R257
678 p2299.03 18  0   0   18  1   37   pancam_erebus_col_5_6_R257
678 p2427.06 12  0   0   12  1   25   pancam_erebus_nearfield_R257
678 p2428.06 12  0   0   12  1   25   pancam_erebus_midfield_R257
679 p2262.04 27  0   0   27  3   57   pancam_erebus_col_11_12_13_R257
679 p2264.04 27  0   0   27  3   57   pancam_erebus_col_17_18_19_R257
679 p2266.04 36  0   0   36  4   76   pancam_erebus_cols_24_25_26_27_R257

What does it add to the previous one, besides the fact of being taken with the right camera?
paxdan
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Dec 21 2005, 11:04 AM)
What does it add to the previous one, besides the fact of being taken with the right camera?

time off?
djellison
R257 are Stereo Red ( so can be co-registered with previous imaging ) and Near & Far IR for geology.

Doug
Sunspot
It's looking less and less likely that we'll have a chance of reaching Victoria crater. sad.gif sad.gif
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Dec 21 2005, 10:04 PM)
Another 360º color panorama of Erebus...  huh.gif

CODE
678 p2260.04 9   0   0   9   1   19   pancam_erebus_col_7_R257
678 p2296.03 9   0   0   9   1   19   pancam_erebus_col_1_R257
678 p2297.03 18  0   0   18  2   38   pancam_erebus_col_2_3_R257
678 p2298.03 9   0   0   9   1   19   pancam_erebus_col_4_R257
678 p2299.03 18  0   0   18  1   37   pancam_erebus_col_5_6_R257
678 p2427.06 12  0   0   12  1   25   pancam_erebus_nearfield_R257
678 p2428.06 12  0   0   12  1   25   pancam_erebus_midfield_R257
679 p2262.04 27  0   0   27  3   57   pancam_erebus_col_11_12_13_R257
679 p2264.04 27  0   0   27  3   57   pancam_erebus_col_17_18_19_R257
679 p2266.04 36  0   0   36  4   76   pancam_erebus_cols_24_25_26_27_R257

Three new wavelengths, filters in the right eye are different, could be useful.

Looks like they are running out of things to do here!
Tesheiner
Filter/wavelenght issues aside, this new panorama include some shots just to the idd workspace, making almost 90º v-fov on the section looking south

Here it is in B&W (R2 filter). I chosen to leave a curved horizon in order to avoid distortions on the near field.

Click to view attachment (408k)
Nirgal
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Dec 21 2005, 07:11 PM)
Filter/wavelenght issues aside, this new panorama include some shots just to the idd workspace, making almost 90º v-fov on the section looking south

Here it is in B&W (R2 filter). I chosen to leave a curved horizon in order to avoid distortions on the near field.

Click to view attachment (408k)

Tesheiner,

your panoramas are getting better and better !
do you use Autostitch + Micheal's anti-vignetting tool ?
I also like the nice Spirit deck pan you posted lately ...

:-)
mhoward
Oppy at work: 1N188468148EFF64KCP1939L0M1.JPG

And some new MI's: 1M188461857EFF64KCP2956M2M1.JPG (etc.)

Smooth!
Marcel
QUOTE (mhoward @ Dec 22 2005, 01:10 AM)

Wat a BEAUTIFULL image. She looks SO clean and healthy !
First time i see an image take this far "down" (vertical), by the way.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Dec 21 2005, 08:49 PM)
Tesheiner,

your panoramas are getting better and better !
do you use Autostitch + Micheal's anti-vignetting tool ?
I also like the nice Spirit deck pan you posted lately ...

:-)

Thanks Nirgal.
But I sincerely think we should congratulate to the autors of Autostitch. smile.gif

About AV-tool, I'm using it sometimes but only on navcam panoramas.
jvandriel
Opportunity is also working.

Taken with the L navcam on Sol 679.

jvandriel
jvandriel
and this is what she is seeing on Sol 679 with the MI camera.

jvandriel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.