Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Erebus Ho!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Bill Harris
Sheesh. Takes me back to Latin class 40+ years ago: sum, es, est, summus, estes, sunt.

Here is the Phil-O-Visioned Stookeygram of the anatilia feature.

--Bill
paxdan
What we need now is to photoshop spirit and oppy in the coliseum having a gladiatorial style fight with their IDDs.

ha-ha question for steve:

in a fight who would you put your money on: spirit or oppy?

I am becoming increasingly embarrassed by my lack of image processing skills tongue.gif

still grinning at mental image of spirit and oppy slugging it out with their IDDs
djellison
QUOTE (paxdan @ Aug 5 2005, 11:05 AM)
in a fight who would you put your money on: spirit or oppy?

That's a cracker - Spirit has the snappier mobility with all 4 steering wheels working, but it's RAT is worn away, so it could inflict less damage.

Doug
Bill Harris
I dunno... Oppy has been to Purgatory and back and endured Endurance. And remember, Spirit went schitzy on us early on, so she might Go Postal under stress. smile.gif

--Bill
Jeff7
I can just see the grand chase scene too in this battle. Each rover just creeping along, but set to some thrilling music.
odave
Ride of the Valkyries?

laugh.gif
ilbasso
No, it has to be the fight music they used in just about every episode of the original Star Trek series (think "Amok Time", "Gamesters of Triskelion," etc.)

"With their ship trapped in a decaying orbit around a planet about to explode, the crew of the Enterprise are forced to fight for their lives for the amusement of an unseen enemy..." That covers about 80% of the episodes, doesn't it??
mike
Star Trek was largely quite cheesy, but they did put out a few decent episodes, and they had the Earth-wide Federation where everyone was happy all the time, and Kirk was a bad actor, and that lizard man suit was the best (YOU MUST MAKE GUNPOWDER, CAPTAIN).

Still, Star Trek was innovative in the mainstream TV realm, in its trekking across the stars premise, although Lost in Space premiered the year earlier, and The Twilight Zone had been on since 1959, and although I can respect the basic premise behind a few ST episodes I always thought the execution was heavy-handed and exceedingly obvious, and unless humanity develops some way of lobotomizing 'disagreeable' types (via drugs, an actual scalpel, or whatever), I don't see everyone living together in 'harmony' (harmony being 'everybody sits around and smiles droolishly at one another'), and hey, guess what, Star Wars doesn't make much sense either (why exactly are the Rebels 'good' and the Empire 'bad', again? alls I know is, Princess Leia is hot and Luke is a real cutey!).

SHE CANNA TAKE ANY MORRRRRE CAPTAIN
Bill Harris
And, meandering back topic-wise, is an Inverse-Phil-O-Vision image. About a 5-times decrease in vertical scale, flattening the landscape and emphasizing horizontal features.

The anatolia feature is still there

--Bill
dilo
On Sol454, no movement but beautiful Pancam images...
So, back to stretched Herebus!
Click to view attachment (L2 filter, 1:10)
It seems there is a clear slope toward west side! (I didn't changed relative orientation between original pictures).
Sunspot
Rat Hole: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...47P1148R0M1.JPG

We haven't seen one of those in a LONG time. smile.gif
dilo
Color version of stretched Herebus:
Click to view attachment
(impossible to add last right frame because L7 image is missing; the bluish illumination from right is an artifact, introduced by me in order to better see L7 dark details...)
jvandriel
A few meters further in the rocky road to Erebus.

Panorama taken with the L2 Pancam on Sol 545.

jvandriel
Nix
Hey mad.gif I didn't know we where having another panoparty! tongue.gif

Pan 'em all up guys! Erebus has never been so close..

Nico
dilo
Just downloaded a couple of new pictures to mosaic!
Now wErebus view is complete and this is pseudo-color panorama:
Click to view attachment
dilo
Forgot Erebus stretched version... rolleyes.gif
TheChemist
Thanks for these wonderful panoramic views guys !

Could I humbly ask for a favour ? We did not have the Phil-o-Vision streched versions back then when Oppy was approaching Endurance.
Could we have a stretched version of that, so that we could compare the present crater approach view with something we have seen from up close already ?

thanks !
David
QUOTE (ustrax @ Aug 5 2005, 08:44 AM)
.but nominem exists:
‘Adiuva nos, dive maxime,
quod per novus anno appropinquo nominem Romanem digneamus in operibus
nostris.’
Which means
Help us, greatest god, that all we do throughout
the coming year be worthy of the name Roman
So, nominem could also mean name, I guess...

What you quoted seems to be a part of a constructed neo-Latin ritual by a fan of things Roman -- but it's also bad Latin in many respects: per novus anno appropinquo for what should be, I believe, per novum annum posterum, and quod... nominem Romanem digneamus could be something like ut.... nomen Romanum mereamur.

Now...Back to Mars.

Quite right. I apologize for the linguistic digression.

I should add that I found Bill Harris' Lihp-O-Vision (the flattened terrain) very helpful, and wouldn't mind seeing more of them...
Bill Harris
Could I humbly ask for a favour ? We did not have the Phil-o-Vision streched versions back then when Oppy was approaching Endurance.

Be glad to work something up. I was thinking along the same lines, it was fascinating seeing the Endurance rim right when we crawled out of Eagle crater and looking at it and speculating as she approached.

If someone else beats me to an Endurance Stookeygram, fine, I'm not territorial.

I'll also work up a quick-and-dirty image stretching How-To this evening.

--Bill
djellison
Well - from Eagle Crater - Endurance crater was never really 'not visible'

A few frames from sol 58 or so - part of what would become the Lion King Pan

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_images/O58_1.jpg 100kb

500% Philication

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_images/O58_2.jpg 85kb

Taking a Navcam frame from a bit earlier

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_images/O49.jpg 50kb

500% Philication

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_images/O49_2.jpg 55kb

Doug
TheChemist
Many thanks Doug and Bill !
Doug's images made me realize how Erebus is really burried on the horizon, compared to Endurance, which popped up really high.
Now I'm even more curious to see Erebus from up close and personal smile.gif

Thank you guys, you ROCK cool.gif
CosmicRocker
With the views of Erebus being better than ever, I thought I'd post panoramas from the other two filters, L7 and R2. Most of these pancams were fairly dark, so I added a little fill lighting to bring out some of the detail around Erebus.
CosmicRocker
I forgot about the attachment size limit. Here's the R2.
Bill Harris
I'll also work up a quick-and-dirty image stretching How-To this evening.

Done: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=1236

Doug's images made me realize how Erebus is really burried on the horizon, compared to Endurance, which popped up really high.

Not surprising. Erebus is old and eroded and barely is above the plain, whereas Endurance is younger and fresher. Also the eastern rim of Endurance is higher than the western rim, so it really sticks out and "shows it's wares", Burns Cliff had been enticing us from the first glimpse.

--Bill
CosmicRocker
I have played with Phil-O-Vision since Phil posted his first. It's a deceptively simple method for bringing out a particular type of detail that one might not otherwise notice. Just increase/decrease the vertical scale of the image by whatever is appropriate. As I recall, Phil also taught us how to create polar projections. ...nods to Phil. smile.gif

These are not the best I might have created, for reasons beyond my control. But, here are L7 and R2 vertical-exagerations of the Erebus horizon from my previously posted panoramas as of sol 545...
Phil Stooke
Click to view attachment

If you go all the way back to post # 8 on this thread, page 1, I posted a comparison of two vertically exaggerated views of Erebus from different sols. Here's another from the last few sols.

We are seeing a bit deeper into Erebus now.

Phil
Phil Stooke
Followup on my last post. I added one more pancam image to the left and shrunk the view. For the first time Erebus is becoming clear. A patch of dunes with a finer texture in the image must be on the floor of Erebus as it slopes up to the far side. It certainly look as if we have a darker layer underlying the bright outcrop, possibly what was seen at Burns Cliff or a similar sequence.

Click to view attachment

If I have the image names figured out these were taken on sol 572. The last post had an image name with 'sol 562' in it, a mistake on my part.

Phil
Bill Harris
The bright outcrop clearly shows better in the R2 image; I hadn't noticed it before because I usually look at the L2 images when browsing.

We'll get _to_ Erebus eventally (tapping foot; normally patient, but patience is wearing thin...).

--Bill
mhoward
Another sol, another zig-zag...
dilo
Full 360deg panorama... updated route map asap!
Joffan
Here's a phil-o-vision towards Erebus using 13-Sep images from exploratorium.

My first effort, nothing fancy...
dilo
Very nice, Joffan! it seems we have many small dunes near north rim... (see also following detail, based on two right camera pictures / 5x vertical stretch)
fredk
Guys, we now really have a great view of Erebus in stereo. It *really* looks like a crater, with outcrops and interior dunes up to the rim. Check out the attached image from sol 582 cross-eyed, or preferably with Stereo Photo Maker.
Joffan
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 13 2005, 06:25 PM)
Guys, we now really have a great view of Erebus in stereo.  It *really* looks like a crater, with outcrops and interior dunes up to the rim.  Check out the attached image from sol 582 cross-eyed, or preferably with Stereo Photo Maker.

thanks... I thought that the scale change in the drifts probably indicated a distance interval (as well as a change in the drift texture in the sheltered region) and your stereography bears that out perfectly. I had to scale your image quite severely to avoid eyestrain though laugh.gif
dilo
ohmy.gif Wow!
When I spoked about "many small dunes near north rim", I didn't realize that I was looking inside the crater (in fact, near South interior portion!). blink.gif
Thanks for illumination!!! biggrin.gif

Now I made a stretched 3D version, even more impressive (and more easy to see wink.gif )... from parallax calculator, closest Erebus edge (near image centre) is about 140m away!
CosmicRocker
WhooHoo! The new view is amazing. It only gets better from here on.

I get the impression that a lot of people prefer the parallel or cross-eyed stereo pairs, but my old eyes are hard to coax into such positions these days. The stereo pairs need to be sized such that the center-to-center distance is approximately equal to the distance between one's eyes, to be effective. For those two reasons, I like anaglyphs...especially for viewing larger images.

For those who have the requisite filters, here are three versions of the L2R2view of Erebus. They would be nicer if the frame farthest to the right was not missing from the panorama, but I was reasonably pleased with tonight's results. The layers have been slightly sharpened with an unsharp mask, and a bit heavily brightness and contrast enhanced.

1:) Panorama at full scale.
2:) Paorama anaglyph at 200%
3:) ...and for something really bizarre, a Phil-O-Vision anaglyph of 2.5. (5x was just too bizarre.)
dilo
Amazing! 130m from Erebus rim (from Parallax calculator)!
Tesheiner
Oppy seems to be no longer in "restricted sols".
After yesterday (sol 582) drive, there is (was) another one planned for sol 583. Stay tuned...

Erebus, here we go!
dvandorn
This image also makes it very clear that Erebus' rim is defined, on its north side, more by large drifts than by any elevated rim material. I imagine those drifts are piled up against some slightly elevated evaporite rim material, but I frankly don't see anything elevated on the north rim except for large (one to three meter tall, I'd estimate) drifts. It's possible that these drifts are hiding an evaporite rim from our view, but looking at the MOC imagery, it seems unlikely.

The south rim looks like it may have some semi-elevated evaporite rim. But to be honest, seeing how relatively quickly the evaporite seems to erode (witness the erosion of crater ejecta out on the plains into flat "paving stones" with little relief), I guess I'd be surprised at this point to see much in the way of elevated outcrop associated with the Erebus rim.

-the other Doug
Bill Harris
Dang, Dilo, you did it again: a stereo phil-o-vision image. Truly awesome. I won't bother to post the identical one I prepared late last night, I'll be quicker next time. biggrin.gif

CR, I prefer the cross-eyed stereo pairs over the anagrams. I've always been able to view stereo pairs with my nekked eyes, although in the last few years reading glasses are helpful... biggrin.gif

oDoug, the MOC "aerial" image of Erebus shows bare evaporite bedrock on the north rim plus a couple of large drifts (which may be almost dune-sized) that I've been using as a marker to spot Erebus. I don't know if this is a perspective effect, but the drifts within Erebus seem to be smaller and more aligned. These seems to be a lot of micrometerology caused by any rise above the flat plain.

And look at the far wall: details in the outcrop of the dark material under the evaporite.

This is going to be a good place to visit. I'm getting giddy... biggrin.gif

--Bill
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Sep 14 2005, 05:53 AM)
WhooHoo!  The new view is amazing.  It only gets better from here on.
Thanks for the glyph. The cross eyed stereo pairs make me nauseous.

It appears from these stereo images that the "dark" features we've been seeing are the shadows of pavement overhang; ie where the layer below the caprock or has been eroded away along the wall of the crater.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (dilo @ Sep 14 2005, 08:30 AM)
Amazing! 130m from Erebus rim (from Parallax calculator)!

Dilo,

Have you tried to do a vertical projection up to and including the features we currently see from Erebus crater?

Or is it just too far for the attempt? Maybe the errors could be too big, but...
dilo
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 14 2005, 04:01 PM)
Dilo,

Have you tried to do a vertical projection up to and including the features we currently see from Erebus crater?

Or is it just too far for the attempt? Maybe the errors could be too big, but...

I didn't tried but I'm sure is too early...
Not only Stretch would be huge: dunes (or ripples) masking still high in some points and (most important) Erebus is not flat but is pretty deep compared to the terrain around... this would introduce unacceptable distorsion and masking (we do not see most of crater interior).
Unless.. rolleyes.gif ...we have a detailed terrain 3D model (so called DTM)!
In theory, someone can obtain it through patient parallax measures in a lot of points inside last PanCam views... volunteers???? tongue.gif
RNeuhaus
Now I see the rim of the Erberus and am most worried to try to climb it. It looks tough for Oppy to try to edge the rim. The easiest part of rim looks like the northern and eastern of rim. I feel more cautious to get closer to rim since it looks dangerous for Oppy to be stuck and I see there are more tricky sands/ripples around rim.

Oppy, be brave and go on to flirt around rims...to see what might be another surprise inside of Erberus. Maybe a Erberus' Abyssis biggrin.gif Hope Usatrax will sponsor it too as a second place...!!!

Rodolfo
Tesheiner
Another drive on sol 583.
And, like on sol 582, there are two sets of panoramas. The first at mid-drive (site/drive 60FD), and the second at the end (site/drive 60I0).

Erebus is clearly visible ahead.

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...I0P2369R2M1.JPG
alan
The dark patch near the center just before erebus looks interesting
Sunspot
The different dune/drift pattern inside Erebus is visible.... and is that a cliff/overhang of outcrop I see visible near the horizon?
Tesheiner
Think so.
Here are the three pancam pictures autostitched.

PD: If someone tries to make a phil-o-vision image, be careful. This panorama is heavily compressed.
Bill Harris
Structure/outcrops on the horizon, drifts in the basin, drifts in the foreground. Here is a 5x vertical exaggeration of the R2 image Sunspot is looking at.

--Bill
dilo
3-frames (manual) stitch, streched x5:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.