Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: InSight EDL
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > InSight
Pages: 1, 2, 3
nprev
Good morning from Los Angeles! Today at approximately 1954 GMT InSight will touch down in Elysium Planitia, and this is where we'll discuss all the events associated with that. NASA TV (link) will provide live coverage starting at 1900 GMT. Official status updates will be published here (link)

Here's a list of significant events (source: JPL). Times listed first are Earth-received US Pacific Standard Time (GMT-8):

11:40 a.m. PST (2:40 p.m. EST) — Separation from the cruise stage that carried the mission to Mars
11:41 a.m. PST (2:41 p.m. EST) — Turn to orient the spacecraft properly for atmospheric entry
11:47 a.m. PST (2:47 p.m. EST) — Atmospheric entry at about 12,300 mph (19,800 kph), beginning the entry, descent and landing phase
11:49 a.m. PST (2:49 p.m. EST) — Peak heating of the protective heat shield reaches about 2,700°F (about 1,500°C)
-15 seconds later — Peak deceleration, with the intense heating causing possible temporary dropouts in radio signals
11:51 a.m. PST (2:51 p.m. EST) — Parachute deployment
-15 seconds later — Separation from the heat shield
-10 seconds later — Deployment of the lander's three legs
11:52 a.m. PST (2:52 p.m. EST) — Activation of the radar that will sense the distance to the ground
11:53 a.m. PST (2:53 p.m. EST) — First acquisition of the radar signal
-20 seconds later — Separation from the back shell and parachute
-0.5 second later — The retrorockets, or descent engines, begin firing
-2.5 seconds later — Start of the "gravity turn" to get the lander into the proper orientation for landing
-22 seconds later — InSight begins slowing to a constant velocity (from 17 mph to a constant 5 mph, or from 27 kph to 8 kph) for its soft landing
11:54 a.m. PST (2:54 p.m. EST) — Expected touchdown on the surface of Mars
12:01 p.m. PST (3:01 p.m. EST) — "Beep" from InSight's X-band radio directly back to Earth, indicating InSight is alive and functioning on the surface of Mars
No earlier than 12:04 p.m. PST (3:04 p.m. EST), but possibly the next day — First image from InSight on the surface of Mars
No earlier than 5:35 p.m. PST (8:35 p.m. EST) — Confirmation from InSight via NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter that InSight's solar arrays have deployed

Get the peanuts ready, and let's land on Mars! smile.gif

GO INSIGHT!!!
MahFL
Mars looking real big on "Eyes".
nprev
3 out of 4 of Madrid's DSN antennas are on InSight and the MARCOs right now. smile.gif
Explorer1
QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 26 2018, 12:01 PM) *
3 out of 4 of Madrid's DSN antennas are on InSight and the MARCOs right now. smile.gif

Now's not a good time to phone home Oppy! Get in line! wink.gif
RoverDriver
I'm sure Spirit is thinking about it ;-)

Paolo
B Bernatchez
Good luck, everybody!
nprev
Gotta say, there is a surprisingly large amount of media attention being paid to this landing. In Los Angeles, local news has been periodically reminding everyone & even the network talk shows have mentioned it. The NASDAQ stock exchange apparently is promoting the coverage as well, which is quite unexpected.

I was also informed that all the Los Angeles public libraries are showing the landing live, and are handing out both library and InSight swag. Great EPO!!! smile.gif
nprev
NASA TV live now!
Explorer1
Live feed started....
Ectahoosis
Hi! I'm new to this site. Thanks for letting me join.

Question: At what time will Insight land, in Mars local time?

akuo
NASA TV Media channel is showing the Insight mission control, but as far as I can see, there is no audio (yet?)
Roby72
QUOTE (Ectahoosis @ Nov 26 2018, 08:23 PM) *
Hi! I'm new to this site. Thanks for letting me join.

Question: At what time will Insight land, in Mars local time?

I think its early afternoon there at landing..but I have no exact time now.

Fingers crossed !
nprev
QUOTE (akuo @ Nov 26 2018, 12:26 PM) *
NASA TV Media channel is showing the Insight mission control, but as far as I can see, there is no audio (yet?)

Got good audio from the link on the first post, akuo. Might want to reload or check your audio settings.

Sometimes it does seem to go quiet for a bit as well.
nprev
Just saw a shot of our chairman and founder djellison on console for MarCO! smile.gif

EDIT: Nope, wasn't him.
nprev
Cruise stage sep in 2 min.
nprev
MarCO UHF lock.
Steve G
Parachute deployment is at Mach 1.66. What is Mach speed on Mars with air pressure and temperature so different than Earth's?
nprev
Depends on the things you described, but in general lower because of the vastly lower air density.
nprev
MarCOs relaying data!
Explorer1
Atmospheric entry....
nprev
DEPLOY PEANUTS!!!!!!!
nprev
CHUTE DEPLOYED!!!
Bjorn Jonsson
Radar has locked on to ground...
Steve5304
did we land
nprev
T O U C H D O W N !!!!!!!!
Explorer1
TOUCHDOWN!
Bjorn Jonsson
touchdown!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve G
I'm getting too old for this kind of stress! Great news and congrats to the team.
Nix
YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!
nprev
Standing by for X-band beep and maybe an image relayed by MarCO....
Steve5304
QUOTE (Steve G @ Nov 26 2018, 08:57 PM) *
I'm getting too old for this kind of stress! Great news and congrats to the team.

yeah right. I always forget this happened 27 minutes ago. We are getting delayed data.
kenny
8 soft landings out of 9 attempts since 1976 --- what a record ! Congratulations to all.
nprev
SURFACE IMAGE!!!! Dust cover is dusty!!! laugh.gif
Paolo
It looks like a few bugs splattered on the camera during descent biggrin.gif
Steve5304
QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 26 2018, 08:59 PM) *
SURFACE IMAGE!!!! Dust cover is dusty!!! laugh.gif

link
MahFL
Lander is nominal.
nprev
Click to view attachment
Steve G
Screen capture
MahFL
Steve5304
will that lens cover come off?
MahFL
Post landing briefing at 5pm EST.

QUOTE (Steve5304 @ Nov 26 2018, 09:09 PM) *
will that lens cover come off?

Yes.
Mongo
Slightly enhanced image:

nprev
Yes, of course. Not till it's safe to do so, though (gotta let the landing dust settle) and there are other critical events of higher priority, particularly solar panel deployment.
fredk
First image up already!
https://mars.nasa.gov/insight-raw-images/su...0000_0106M_.PNG
The surface looks very smooth.
Steve G
Okay, this is a quick ten minute job to remove the worst of the dust. More dust than Mars, unfortunately.
Steve5304
QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 26 2018, 09:13 PM) *
Yes, of course. Not till it's safe to do so, though (gotta let the landing dust settle) and there are other critical events of higher priority, particularly solar panel deployment.

looks similar to phoenix landing zone. pretty boring for images but wealthy in science
nprev
Forum note: Later on today or possibly tomorrow after the early critical deployments are carried out this thread will be closed and we'll open a new surface operations thread.

What a ride that was!!!! smile.gif
galileo
Heres the link for the first picture from Insight:

https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/multimedia/ra...mission=insight
MahFL
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 26 2018, 09:19 PM) *
First image up already!
https://mars.nasa.gov/insight-raw-images/su...0000_0106M_.PNG
The surface looks very smooth.

That was pretty quick, considering it's Sol 0.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 26 2018, 12:19 PM) *
First image up already!

Huh. Crud on the dust cover is a lot clumpier looking than what we got on the MAHLI dust cover on MSL. Maybe more localized material from the different thruster configuration and camera placement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.