Full Version: InSight EDL
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > InSight
Pages: 1, 2, 3
atomoid
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 26 2018, 12:19 PM) *
First image up already!
https://mars.nasa.gov/insight-raw-images/su...0000_0106M_.PNG
The surface looks very smooth.

..and seems to have broken the internet! pancake,pancake,pancake!!
https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/multimedia/raw-images/
nprev
NASA TV live coverage just ended, press brief at 1400 PST (2200 GMT).
MahFL
During the pre-landing briefings I did not hear anyone say an image might be sent back right after touchdown, did anyone else ?
Phil Stooke
"That was pretty quick, considering it's Sol 1"

No, actually it is Sol 0.

Phil

Phil Stooke
First image also here:

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/22159/insig...s/?site=insight

Phil
akuo
(The PNG file on the raw images site is not complete, the bottom of the image is missing.) Edit: it's fixed now

Complete image at least in Emily's article here (from twitter?) http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda...has-landed.html

Congrats Insight Team!
nprev
QUOTE (MahFL @ Nov 26 2018, 01:30 PM) *
During the pre-landing briefings I did not hear anyone say an image might be sent back right after touchdown, did anyone else ?

It was mentioned as a possibility in the timeline, but it was entirely dependent on the success of MarCO. By all accounts, they have performed brilliantly.
Phil Stooke
Working on the assumption that it's never too early to start analyzing images here on UMSF:

Click to view attachment

The small arrows outline a skid mark on the surface made as that rock was pushed by the thrusters, as also seen twice at the Phoenix site.

EDIT: Now I'm not certain that thing on the right is a footpad. There may be some more small rocks over there.

EDIT 2: no, looks like I was right first time.

Phil
RoverDriver
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 26 2018, 12:26 PM) *
Huh. Crud on the dust cover is a lot clumpier looking than what we got on the MAHLI dust cover on MSL. Maybe more localized material from the different thruster configuration and camera placement.

That does not surprises me given the different position of the dust cover, mostly the distance to the ground. I would say it is quite similar to the first image we received from the FHAZ from Curiosity which would have a distance and positioning more similar to IS.

Paolo
lyford
Just got out of a work meeting, did I miss anything? biggrin.gif
B Bernatchez
Congrats to the team.
atomoid
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 26 2018, 12:45 PM) *
Working on the assumption that it's never too early to start analyzing images here on UMSF:

Click to view attachment

The small arrows outline a skid mark on the surface made as that rock was pushed by the thrusters, as also seen twice at the Phoenix site.

EDIT: Now I'm not certain that thing on the right is a footpad. There may be some more small rocks over there.

Phil
i was assuming it was mini dune formation by thruster blast, but yep probably same scenario as Phoenix.

presumably the image is from the Instrument Context Camera, does anyone know if the lander is situated as planned with the workspace oriented to the south?
SpaceListener
The landing site looks a very good place for HP3 instrument since the land is smooth, almost lack of stones and is sandy.

About the Lens of the camera, I thought that the next mission, this must be covered by a protective and after a landing, it should be opened before taking a picture. This is to prevent the lens of the camera from getting dirty
nogal
QUOTE (SpaceListener @ Nov 26 2018, 09:30 PM) *
About the Lens of the camera, I thought that the next mission, this must be covered by a protective and after a landing ...

But it is! The cover is transparent and will come out later. Just as has happened with Curiosity.

Now waiting for the post landing conference at 22:00 UTC. Congratulations to the whole team! What a great job they've done!
Fernando

tedstryk
I did a quick and dirty cleanup of the initially tweeted image (not the better version that came out later) to capture the feeling of the scene.
Click to view attachment
nprev
Superb!

Reminder: Press conference on NASA TV in 12 minutes.
dolphin
Congrats, team.
nprev
Press conference live now, featuring JPL (and UMSF's!) own Veronica McGregor!
nprev
MarCO image of Mars from 4000 miles! Also a brief glimpse of djellison! smile.gif
Deimos
QUOTE (atomoid @ Nov 26 2018, 10:28 PM) *
does anyone know if the lander is situated as planned with the workspace oriented to the south?

Shadow seems to suggest that: toward lander and image-left, from mid-afternoon southern Sun.
John Moore
Awesome...look forward to the protective len views.
John
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 26 2018, 02:03 PM) *
Press conference live now, featuring JPL (and UMSF's!) own Veronica McGregor!

Veronica and Emily both look like they've gotten younger in the 5 or 6 years since I last saw either of them.
nprev
Agreed. (We need to add a thumbs-up feature here... biggrin.gif )
nprev
MarCO Mars flyby image. Definitely the selfie of the year. smile.gif (Credit: NASA)

Click to view attachment
nprev
Forum note: Okay, not sure when the next update from NASA will be, but we'll keep the discussion here for now. Solar panel deployment confirmation expected no earlier than 1735 PST (0135 GMT), so hopefully we will receive word of that and possibly other data as well.
climber
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 26 2018, 11:33 PM) *
Veronica and Emily both look like they've gotten younger in the 5 or 6 years since I last saw either of them.

Probably the same for you Dan, you’ve been kind of hibernating...?
wink.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (climber @ Nov 26 2018, 03:30 PM) *
Probably the same for you Dan, you’ve been kind of hibernating...?
wink.gif

No. I'm more bald and I grew a white beard.
Adam Hurcewicz
If landing site are match that image could be fine.
This is small version, I have also BIG 12000 x 8000 px

Click to view attachment

check MRO/HIRISE DTM for that area:
https://www.uahirise.org/dtm/dtm.php?ID=ESP_038449_1845
walfy
Possible meteorite? Pure speculation at this point. Congrats to the engineers!

Click to view attachment
Roby72
A reminder how the Hazcam of Curiosity looks before the dusty dust cover comes off in 2012:

https://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/pr...AUT_04096M_.JPG

and after it comes off:

https://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/pr...AUT_04096M_.JPG

It seems that on Curiosity the dust slips also beyond the cover a little..but its just a guess what we might see in a few hours from the cover free Insight camera (in color!)
Gerald
120 degrees de-fisheyed version, and an attempt to improve contrast of the environment behind the dust cover:
Click to view attachment

Out-of-the-hip, I didn't find a good technique to remove the patches on the dust cover, so I enhanced the contrast in the background, instead.
There is also a saturation and brightnes gradient, which I didn't try to remove.

The lander seems to be slightly tilted. Might be, that one of the feet is standing on top of a small rock like the one in the foreground.
MahFL
QUOTE (Gerald @ Nov 27 2018, 01:24 AM) *
...The lander seems to be slightly tilted. Might be, that one of the feet is standing on top of a small rock like the one in the foreground...

They said on the post landing conference the tilt was less than 2 degrees.
climber
Can we compare Marco’s image definition to Mariner 4’s? Distance to Mars, FOV, etc...?
It seams to me that we can see some features...
nprev
The expected time for an orbiter downlink (looks like MODY) is approaching. Suggest following Emily's updated article here; if anyone gets a scoop, it'll be her. smile.gif
MahFL
QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 27 2018, 02:31 AM) *
The expected time for an orbiter downlink (looks like MODY) is approaching. Suggest following Emily's updated article here; if anyone gets a scoop, it'll be her. smile.gif

I am watching DSN Now like a hawk, lol.
nprev
Yeah, but remember the same caution as the Oppy recovery efforts...it's not an authoritative indicator of anything, really. wink.gif
dmg
I understand the caution about DSN Now in terms of the variable "positive predictive value" of it appearing to be communicating with a certain spacecraft. What is the "negative predictive value" of it showing a prolonged (i.e. in this case >25 min) NO communication through any antenna with a given spacecraft at a time that comm. was expected?
nprev
No idea. All I know is that the real word on anything's gotta come from NASA/JPL. smile.gif
xflare
QUOTE (dmg @ Nov 27 2018, 03:03 AM) *
I understand the caution about DSN Now in terms of the variable "positive predictive value" of it appearing to be communicating with a certain spacecraft. What is the "negative predictive value" of it showing a prolonged (i.e. in this case >25 min) NO communication through any antenna with a given spacecraft at a time that comm. was expected?

I dont think the DSN Now site showed any downlink from the Parker Solar Probe in the hour or so after it was launched
dmg
Yes but in this case the expected comm pass was with mars odyssey which would transmit from what it got from insight. Anyway nothing to do but wait and see
xflare
QUOTE (dmg @ Nov 27 2018, 03:18 AM) *
Yes but in this case the expected comm pass was with mars odyssey which would transmit from what it got from insight. Anyway nothing to do but wait and see

Yes, but I remember it showing up on the antenna as SPP (Solar Probe Plus) but no downlink animation, even though they obviously had received data, because they confirmed critical spacecraft deployment sequences.
nprev
<shrug>...same thing in this case. MODY is shown on DSS 25 & 26, MAVEN & MRO also on 26. We can't tell.

Patience, grasshoppers, patience. smile.gif
marsophile
https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/11/26/insig...-status-center/

Spaceflightnow does live updates.

11/26/2018 18:14
Stephen Clark Stephen Clark
We're standing by for an update on the deployment of InSight's solar panels as JPL engineers analyze data relayed from the lander to Earth via the Mars Odyssey orbiter.
Hungry4info
New image.
djellison
QUOTE (dmg @ Nov 26 2018, 06:03 PM) *

False negatives are also a thing. Very often. All down to the antennas and how they report their status back to the subscription services from which DSN Now generates it's status XML file that drives the web-page.

Because that Odyssey pass happened and the data is VERY much on the ground...

https://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/insight/multimedi...0&end_sol=0
ChrisC
QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Nov 26 2018, 09:46 PM) *
New image.

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 26 2018, 09:47 PM) *
Because that Odyssey pass happened and the data is VERY much on the ground...
https://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/insight/multimedi...0&end_sol=0

That's surprisingly rocky. That's a big effing boulder in the distance. The only concern here is that the mole will hit a big horizontal rock on the way down ...

Based on this (early) animation of the instrument deck and deployment, this view is looking down the arm towards the SOUTH, towards the direction that the instruments will be deployed.
Phil Stooke
The raw image page:

https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/multimedia/ra...mission=insight

shows two versions of the first image taken a few minutes apart. The dust has moved around a bit on it, which will help clean up the image while we wait for that cover to drop off.

Phil

MahFL
Not exactly a flat parking lot, I see some good sized rocks.
fredk
A simple max filter does a good job of showing where the dust isn't between the two frames:
Click to view attachment
(Areas covered by dust are dark, so taking the max of the two frames pixel-by-pixel removes it where it's only on one of the two frames.)
xflare
Well, the text accompanying that image says "looking forward to exploring my new home"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.