Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arsia Mons Anomaly?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Mars
Pages: 1, 2
ectoterrestrial
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 16 2018, 12:08 AM) *
https://marsnext.jpl.nasa.gov/scieng_eng.cfm says that the Mars2020 landing site, for example, has to be below -0.5 km MOLA elevation, with respect to the MOLA geoid. So you can forget about landing on the volcanoes unless you are using purely propulsive landing (no parachutes.)

Hmm. Not much (unvisited) terrain left with those constraints.. A visit to Beagle 2 crater in Isidis? A slow climb up Elysium Mons maybe?
atomoid
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 16 2018, 06:36 AM) *
...If you're talking about aerocapture to get into orbit, I'm not sure why you think it would help landing.

aerocapture orbits take quite an extended time to slow the velocity and round out the orbit (adding operations cost to the budget), when that energy can be dispersed much quicker via the well-proven heatsheild method. I'd assume the orbital speed will still be high enough that you'd have use a heatshield for the orbital-to-atmopspheric entry anyways but i am only guessing... I was curious to find the relative velocities of direct atmospheric entry modes vs the slowest possible option for orbital insertion trajectories but ran out of time, here are some starter resources though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.