Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dust Storm- Opportunity EOM
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
marsophile
https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/mission/instrumen...onsensors/rems/

Maximum daily ground temperature from REMS now above freezing. This suggests a clearing at least at the Curiosity site. Being a worry wart, I am now wondering if, ironically, Opportunity might overheat the warm electronics box while in fault mode with no human supervision. unsure.gif
djellison
There is no risk of Opportunity overheating. That would require an amount of power than would guarantee reliable communication with Earth.
Fran Ontanaya
QUOTE (marsophile @ Aug 29 2018, 02:20 AM) *

As a side note, those conditions are above the triple point aren't they? Above 611 pascals and 0ºC during the day.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (Fran Ontanaya @ Aug 29 2018, 10:13 AM) *
As a side note, those conditions are above the triple point aren't they? Above 611 pascals and 0ºC during the day.

It's a sol-average pressure so you can't tell if the triple point was exceeded at some point diurnally, not that it would be so amazing if it was.
serpens
Even of it is the important variable is the absolute humidity. The actual amount of water vapour in the atmosphere so in this environment being above the triple point for a brief period would be of passing interest only.
xflare
I wonder if we will get another twitter/internet false alarm today laugh.gif
djellison
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7227

"When the tau level [a measure of the amount of particulate matter in the Martian sky] dips below 1.5, we will begin a period of actively attempting to communicate with the rover by sending it commands via the antennas of NASA's Deep Space Network. Assuming that we hear back from Opportunity, we will begin the process of discerning its status and bringing it back online........

.....If we do not hear back after 45 days, the team will be forced to conclude that the Sun-blocking dust and the Martian cold have conspired to cause some type of fault from which the rover will more than likely not recover," said Callas. "At that point our active phase of reaching out to Opportunity will be at an end. However, in the unlikely chance that there is a large amount of dust sitting on the solar arrays that is blocking the Sun's energy, we will continue passive listening efforts for several months."
Explorer1
Reading this article a quote stuck out:
Engineers have carried out simulations predicting Opportunity’s current conditions. But they can’t account for how much dust remains—if any—on Opportunity’s solar panels. “The initial results [of the simulations] suggest that if tau was below about 1.5, there is a chance, depending on the dust loading on the panels, that we would be able to hear from Opportunity,” says Matt Golombek, the project scientist for the Mars Exploration Rover mission, which covers Opportunity and the now-defunct Spirit. “Although we have an estimate of the dust in the atmosphere, we have no idea how much dust is on the panels.”

Can't MRO just take a picture? I can guess that HiRISE is either in the wrong orbit to attempt imaging, or the resolution isn't quite high enough to resolve the rover as dust-covered or not, so it's not worth bothering to do? Would the surface be visible from orbit by now?
mcaplinger
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Aug 31 2018, 07:31 PM) *
Can't MRO just take a picture?

Have you looked at the images of Opportunity already taken by HiRISE? They are useless, IMHO, for assessing anything about the dust loading.
marsophile
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Aug 31 2018, 08:31 PM) *
Can't MRO just take a picture?

I think the answer is yes. AFAIK MRO is in a sun-synchronous orbit, so it should pass over every part of Mars in due course. It used to pass always at 2pm local time, but that may have changed. Even if the dust completely settles, there should be only a couple of microns of dust cover (as discussed in a previous post). I can't believe that would blanket the terrain in a way that would make the rover invisible. The only caveat I can think of is that Oppy is on a slope, which may help rather than hinder. IMHO, the only scenario in which Opportunity should be unrecoverable is if some combination of fault modes conspired somehow to place Oppy in an infinite loop of recovery efforts.
[EDIT: Evaluating the dust loading is a very different matter. Maybe it might be possible to look for a glint (specular reflection) from the solar panels?]
fredk
I suppose you may not need to resolve Oppy. In principle I could imagine comparing images of Perserverance Valley now with images before the storm under the same lighting conditions, and looking for signs of increased dust on the ground more generally. In principle.

In practice this sounds hard if not impossible. Can images at sufficiently similar lighting be obtained, especially given the changing season? And a current tau above the pre-storm level will surely confound a fair comparison due to the atmospheric dust contribution. And it's not clear how much of an increase of dust cover on the panels would be implied by some increase on the ground, due to the different surface characteristics.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (marsophile @ Aug 31 2018, 09:58 PM) *
Maybe it might be possible to look for a glint (specular reflection) from the solar panels?

I think that's not possible given the orbital geometry; given the low tilt the imaging would have to happen around local noon, and MRO is in a roughly 3 PM orbit.
djellison
The one time we’ve seen a ‘glint’ via HiRise was off Spirit years after it died. And it was just lucky. I don’t believe it can be used quantitatively.

There is a huge back catalog of dust factor and tau data that’s been collated by people here.....one could quite easily see when cleaning events occur by plotting dust factor against Ls and looking for periods of general improvement.
marsophile
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 1 2018, 08:44 AM) *
I think that's not possible given the orbital geometry; given the low tilt the imaging would have to happen around local noon, and MRO is in a roughly 3 PM orbit.

I think if an orbital pass was chosen to be about 22.5 degrees to the east of Opportunity, the geometry might be about right to hope for a reflection, since 3pm should mean a sun angle of 45 degrees from the zenith. Of course it would still take careful planning and a lot of luck.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (marsophile @ Sep 1 2018, 04:13 PM) *
I think if an orbital pass was chosen to be about 22.5 degrees to the east of Opportunity...

I think that would be way off nadir, since from the MRO orbit the limb is only about 27 degrees of longitude from nadir. But I haven't studied the geometry carefully, and if there was an observed glint from Spirit there must be some way to make it work, though I don't remember what Spirit's tilt was.

However, I still argue that it's not diagnostic at all anyway.
serpens
Well we know that Opportunity is in a good position for panel cleaning events which is a plus. I would have thought that the real danger period would be as the dust settles and minimum temperatures start dropping while power levels are insufficient to recharge the batteries for heating.
marsophile
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 16 2018, 08:59 PM) *
I'm afraid what you saw was an antenna briefly locking up on MRO as its orbital motion put it's nominal downlink frequency on top of the expected MER frequency due to Doppler shift.

Is it possible that the same thing could happen in reverse? That a low bit/sec signal from Opportunity might go unnoticed because it is misidentified as being from MRO or another mission? Something like this, for example:
Click to view attachment
djellison
No - 11b/sec on MAVEN is a regular LGA telemetry only check in. Moreover - in the same way we can go 'that's a false lock on MRO while looking for MERB' it's also similarly obvious if there's a false lock on MERB when looking for something else.

The data rate for Opportunity in various fault modes would also be unique compared to other Martian spacecraft.

Recommended reading - the DESCANSO Design and Performance Summary Series

https://descanso.jpl.nasa.gov/DPSummary/summary.html

mcaplinger
QUOTE (marsophile @ Sep 3 2018, 02:41 PM) *
That a low bit/sec signal from Opportunity might go unnoticed because it is misidentified as being from MRO or another mission?

Being "in lock" is only a very early step in the whole decoding process that ends with digital packet data being produced. If a signal makes it all the way to the end, it has a unique spacecraft ID in it AFAIK, and shouldn't be confusable with anything else; even without the unique ID it's hard to confuse one spacecraft's packets with another's.

In listen-only mode, signals are recorded in wideband, not decoded in real time, and can be combed through later in much more detail than real time will permit. So if there's a signal in there, it will be found.
marsophile
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 1 2018, 05:23 PM) *
However, I still argue that it's not diagnostic at all anyway.

Apart from the luminance, the color spectrum might also provide useful information on the combined attenuation due to the tau and the dust factor. If a glint could be obtained, even if it proved not to be diagnostic, I think the general public might be excited by the daring and audacity of the attempt.

However, the existing tilt of the rover (is it known?) might render the task impossible. A tilt in the wrong direction would be doubled in terms of the needed offset to get a reflection.
djellison
The exact pitch/roll/yaw are known.
Explorer1
From A.J.S. Rayl's latest report:
Actually, word is there is a plan to schedule the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera onboard MRO for imaging Opportunity sometime in September, when MRO orbits around Endeavour.

I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing Opportunity, even if it remains silent at the time of the imagery.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Sep 9 2018, 08:10 AM) *

“A lot of people don’t realize that when we had the campaign to listen for Spirit, that campaign was active listening the whole time, because of a mistake in the fault protection settings,” Squyres elaborated.

Maybe a lot of people don't realize that because it's never been written down anywhere publicly before now, at least as far as I know.
fredk
It's good to finally read some detail on the active/passive distinction. From the report:
the passive listening efforts would continue though until at least the end of January, Squyres said. “It’s a good plan. ‘Active listening’ really means trying to send commands to the rover, which is labor-intensive. It’s also probably unnecessary, since the rover should simply wake up and start talking to us on its own if and when there’s enough power,” he said. “Commanding shouldn’t even be necessary. So a fairly short period of active listening to cover all the bases, followed by a longer period passive listening makes sense.”
Still, "probably" and "shouldn't" aren't definitive. Is anyone aware of a scenario where we could regain contact actively but not passively? (I guess we don't have the mistake in the fault protection settings that Spirit had, so that shouldn't be a problem.)
marsophile
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 9 2018, 10:20 AM) *
Maybe a lot of people don't realize that because it's never been written down anywhere publicly before now, at least as far as I know.

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 3 2018, 09:47 PM) *

Is this the issue? (From the MER update from 2010 that you cited above.)
With the mission clock fault however, there is an unexpected and unintended consequence: the vehicle wakes up and expects to communicate using a comm window one hour later. “With that 20-minute up-too-long parameter, the rover wakes up and sets the comm window for an hour, and then shuts down after 20 minutes,” said Nelson. “And the comm window is volatile so -- poof -- it disappears!”

marsophile
https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/home/

The 45 day period of "active listening" has apparently begun.
Reevaluation at the end of that period?

The original story has been updated in paragraph six to reflect NASA review at each step of the recovery process.
atomoid
According to the latest article i've seen "It's now sending commands multiple times per day", now if it were only possible to pull the queue or history list on the DSN page..
djellison
Best way to see the DSN Now history is to look at the timeline of DSN Status - https://twitter.com/dsn_status

It's not an official NASA thing - but does the job.
marsophile
Was this a hit? (Now 10:25pm PDT.)
https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/1040813778147926016
@dsn_status
1h1 hour ago
More
DSS 35 carrier lock on Opportunity
Frequency: 8.4068GHz
Signal strength: -139dBm
IDLE OFF 1 MCD3

Would have been around 11am LST at Opportunity location.
akuo
Thanks Doug for that link.

Just now I noticed:
Click to view attachment

Just now, there isn't a live signal or carrier, but DSS 35 is sending a data signal to Oppy.
xflare
The frequency is different to MRO too?
akuo
Different from MRO, but looking at the history, Odyssey's frequency is almost the same (8.4067GHz vs 8.4068GHz above), so not sure if there is some possibility of confusion there for a carrier lock.
xflare
Yes. I think we've been mistaken again, this time with Odyssey rather than MRO, here's a tweet from 16th August https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/1030026880068595712

Here are the results when you search the DSN twitter timeline for Opportunity

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&ver...us&src=typd

Most of the frequency's for Opportunity are 8.4358GHz

edit: confirmed false alarm : https://twitter.com/AstroStaab/status/1040845967233150976
Explorer1
Were any false alarms during the Spirit listening campaign? The DSN Now site didn't exist, so it wasn't all over Twitter if any happened, but the same orbiters were around the planet with the same potential for "mimicry".
xflare
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Sep 15 2018, 02:42 PM) *
Were any false alarms during the Spirit listening campaign? The DSN Now site didn't exist, so it wasn't all over Twitter if any happened, but the same orbiters were around the planet with the same potential for "mimicry".

And what exactly will a DSN signal from Opportunity look like on the DSN website/twitter feed? Such as signal strength, data rate, frequency etc?

If you look back to May 2nd we see this:

DSS 24 carrier lock on Opportunity
Frequency: 8.4072GHz
Signal strength: -125dBm

With the next tweet being:

DSS 24 receiving data from Opportunity at 142.2kb/s.
IN LOCK OFF 1 MCD3

Which is quite similar to what we saw this morning, minus the data tweet ofcourse.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (xflare @ Sep 15 2018, 06:09 AM) *
And what exactly will a DSN signal from Opportunity look like on the DSN website/twitter feed?

The bit rate would be very low for starters (<10 bps IIRC). If you don't see "receiving data" then I would assume it's a false alarm.

If a real signal is seen I don't think the team will keep it a secret. smile.gif
marsophile
The signal strength should be consistent with the low gain antenna (LGA) on Opportunity.
For comparison, this shows an example of an LGA comm from Maven:
https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/1040572487174639617

Here is an example attributed to Mars Odyssey with an even lower signal strength:
https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/1040558512282259457

This old one from Opportunity is almost identical to last night's.
https://mobile.twitter.com/dsn_status/statu...07412912128?p=v
I assume without data being transferred, there is no way to verify, but we can hope that initial abortive attempts might be indications of Oppy struggling to come back...
dvandorn
IIRC, false alarms are not only possible because of false contacts that end up being chatter with other assets in the region. I recall that there was a repeated set of false alarms during the active contact attempt phase with MPL back in '99, up to the point of a news release that there had been a signal detected that could well be from MPL. And all it ended up being was a reflection of the signal being sent out to MPL, not anything back from the crashed lander.

As Mike and Doug and others keep preaching, false alarms are quite possible, anything that appears to be a contact needs to be verified as two-way and containing at least valid headers in the downloaded data stream. In other words, while you may get a heads-up looking at the DSN status, the real proof of the pudding will be when downlinked data, if any, is analyzed and found to have valid headers. And valid engineering status data, hopefully... smile.gif

And, guys? If the worst has happened and Oppy has finally gone on to meet her sister in whatever afterlife exists for such entities, it's not a sad time. Fourteen years of impressive and fundamentally game-changing data from a rover designed to last 90 days is not something to mourn. It's something to celebrate! Oppy doesn't deserve a dirge, she deserves a happy, rollicking Dixieland funeral parade! smile.gif

-the other Doug
xflare
QUOTE (marsophile @ Sep 15 2018, 05:50 PM) *
The signal strength should be consistent with the low gain antenna (LGA) on Opportunity.
For comparison, this shows an example of an LGA comm from Maven:
https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/1040572487174639617

Here is an example attributed to Mars Odyssey with an even lower signal strength:
https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/1040558512282259457

So maybe something more like this from Feb 2nd

https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/959285817138008065
https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/959286333024776192
mcaplinger
QUOTE (xflare @ Sep 15 2018, 10:46 AM) *
So maybe something more like this from Feb 2nd

If you see a "receiving data at 10 bps", then that might be a real signal. (They've transmitted from the LGA at higher rates but I don't think that the fault modes will ever try this.) My advice is to ignore all carrier lock messages.

There's a good chance that the first signals will only be seen in radio science recordings, which won't show up in the realtime DSN status anyway.
marsophile
The DSN Now display shows 4 antennas at each complex. However, there may actually be more than 4. For example, Goldstone seems to have 8.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldstone_Dee...omplex#Antennas

Are the antennas that are not displayed idle, or are they doing stuff that we can't see, such as attempts to transmit commands to Opportunity? This might explain why we don't see the every-day attempts discussed in the most recent MER press release.
With more sunlight reaching the rover's solar array, the Opportunity team at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, are increasing the frequency of commands it beams to the 14-plus-year-old rover via the dishes of NASA's Deep Space Network from three times a week to multiple times per day.

[EDIT] Uplink to MER1 from Goldstone now (12:30am). Maybe the action just happens while I'm asleep...
djellison
QUOTE (marsophile @ Sep 16 2018, 10:55 PM) *
Are the antennas that are not displayed idle

They are no longer used for routine DSN operations.
xflare
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 15 2018, 08:19 PM) *
There's a good chance that the first signals will only be seen in radio science recordings, which won't show up in the realtime DSN status anyway.

arggh you're right, was just watching the DSN status page and their twitter page, and another false alarm, this time with Maven. laugh.gif

edit: Here is the History of MAVEN from the DSN status twitter feed https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=M...us&src=typd

And Opportunity's last DSN comm from June 10th? https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/1005823559166459908
akuo
Well, that momentary carrier lock at 8.4351GHz was a lot closer to the expected Oppy frequency (8.4358GHz you pointed before), than Maven's 8.4454GHz... But yeah, maybe it's the doppler shift around the orbit.
djellison
-148dBm is FAR too strong for a MER LGA on the surface. That last DSN Now entry was a high gain antenna. Not the low gain that will be used now. Expect something more like -160 dBm.

Honestly - given the idiosyncrasies of how the DSN works - it is unlikely you're gonna be able to identify a successful vehicle recovery via DSN Now.
akuo
DSN has brought out the big guns tonight. The 70 metre DSS 14 "Mars" in action with MER1 now smile.gif
xflare
QUOTE (akuo @ Sep 19 2018, 08:12 AM) *
DSN has brought out the big guns tonight. The 70 metre DSS 14 "Mars" in action with MER1 now smile.gif

Still up linking, although it did disappear for about 15 minutes then come back. unsure.gif EDIT: About 2 hours now, maybe trying to cover the whole window where Oppy might be awake with the larger antenna?
marsophile
QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 18 2018, 08:20 AM) *
Expect something more like -160 dBm.

That would be lower even than the signal strength from the Voyagers at around 10 billion miles!
https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/1043512420768120833
https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/1043219216659361793
Admittedly, they would be using high-gain antennas and the bit rate is around 160 b/sec.
https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/1043220222327627776
djellison
QUOTE (marsophile @ Sep 22 2018, 10:01 PM) *
That would be lower even than the signal strength from the Voyagers at around 10 billion miles!

The Voyagers all transmit with large high gain antennas that are VERY directional and pointed at Earth. At X Band they have a beam width of half a degree and 48db of gain.

Opportunity will be using its low gain antenna that transmits to 180 degrees of the sky and has only 7 dB of gain

Physics is mean like that.
fredk
In defence of physics, I've never known it to be mean. It just doesn't care. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.