Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Juno, perijove 10
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Jupiter > Juno
Pages: 1, 2
Gerald
Data of Juno's Perijove-10 are going to be downlinked.

Here is a tiny 6000-fold time-lapsed simulation from 2017-12-16T16:30:00.000 to 2017-12-16T20:00:00.000:
Click to view attachment
It shows, that during approach, Jupiter's night side has come into JunoCam's field of view, first. Then there have been some interesting new perspectives, before Jupiter's south polar region has been in JunoCam's view during departure.
The simulation is based on preliminary, and on some reconstructed SPICE data. Timing of actual image data differ from the stills of the above tiny simulation.
Adam Hurcewicz
I can't wait for new pictures ! smile.gif
Bjorn Jonsson
This is also interesting (from https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/voting?id=8 ):

We are also reducing the amount of compression for the closest images to minimize compression artifacts.

The area around latitude 40 degrees north has been especially photogenic since Juno's arrival (I don't know if images of that area qualify as "closest images" though).
Gerald
Near closest approach, the contrast turned out to be pretty low during previous flybys, resulting in DCT block artifacts of approximately the size of potentially interesting features, and a slow flyby movie would also degrade in quality due to the visibility of the compression artifacts. Additionally, near the latitudes of the GRS, there seem to have formed large turbulent features before PJ9 that are worth images of good quality. The geometry of future perijoves will worsen for flyby animation purposes. So, this may by one of the last opportunities to take an according sequence.
Regarding observations of the polar CPCs, we'll likely get better results for the south than for the north due to image geometry and illumination.

Regarding latitude: The correlation of time and latitude won't be as strict as it has been for early orbits. This is another reason, why voting for features on certain latitudes would be less applicable.
Bjorn Jonsson
QUOTE (Gerald @ Dec 18 2017, 10:17 PM) *
The geometry of future perijoves will worsen for flyby animation purposes. So, this may by one of the last opportunities to take an according sequence.

Do you know if the geometry gets better again late in the mission?
Gerald
Provided, Juno gets an extension until 2021, and the instruments will still be healthy, the answer is yes, the geometry will improve again.
Kevin Gill
The Perijove 10 images are now being added to the raw gallery.
Kevin Gill
A quick processing of four of the Perijove 10 images.
Gerald
With some delay, here my set of drafts of the first half of PJ-10 close-ups. The second half of the PJ-10 close-up images are still to be downlinked.
This version is rendered without 3D information; so the close-ups are misaligned a bit. Image #002 shows two of the moons, the larger one should be Io, according to the title. Might be, that there is more, but it's what I've seen at first glance. Of course, there are lots of energetic particle hits.
Sean
This already looks like an exceptional set Gerald...and the lack of artifacts on closest approach is also very promising.

Great early processing by Kevin as well!

I can only imagine what Matt has up his sleeve...
Gerald
A tiny animation of the RGB images available thus far:
Click to view attachment

And here a larger version of some of them, first #018, and #020:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

The images show some image noise, since they have been taken with TDI 1. There are also many energetic particle hits.

Last night, I've simply been too tired to render reasonable products. A small glitch (forgot to copy&paste Juno's rotation period from the image adjustment batch into the rendering batch) prevented an overnight run.
Gerald
PJ-10, #021:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
#022:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
#023:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
#024:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
Rendition of the very close-ups takes a little longer.
Here #025:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
#026:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
#027, and #028:
Gerald
... and #031:
Click to view attachment

All images of this series are reprojected to the respective image stop time.
Gerald
PNG versions are uploaded to junocam.pictures. Most of them are also submitted to the missionjuno website.
Kevin Gill
Here's the remainder of my 1st pass of the Perijove 10 data that's available.

I've been putting the full versions up on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmgill/al...157672426118932

And another more artistic view of Juno
Sean
Some details from Gerald's pass on Perijove 10...

PJ10_022

PJ10_023

PJ10_024

PJ10_025

Sean
*update...re-ordered*

PJ10_021 [G.Eichstadt]

PJ10_022

PJ10_023

Sean
Another from Gerald's awesome source image...

PJ10_24

PJ10_024_Detail002

Kevin Gill
Updates to PJ10 images with improved color. Alignment is still a bit rougher than I'd like.
Floyd
Kevin--Like Sean you can start with Gerald's extremely carefully aligned and processed images and just work you magic from there. Gerald was working on his image pipeline way before Juno arrived in orbit and has been improving it with each orbit. But, if you want to do it all on your own, more power to you as your are making impressive images.
Gerald
Drafts of Perijove-10, part 2. Those aren't yet properly aligned, since they are rendered without trajectory data nor shape model.
I'm working on a version with trajectory data and shape model. This will likely take a few more hours.

And the stills of some fragments of a preliminary PJ-10 flyby movie. This site may be updated the next few days with more fragments.
Kevin Gill
Floyd, I'm stubbornly working on my own pipeline. :-) Gerald's is far more advanced than my own, but I've been enjoying the work (and I tend to rewrite it every couple months). I do have a number of additions to it in terms of viewing geometry and Spice calculations but they weren't ready for this perijove.

-- Kevin
Sean
I really value Kevin's contributions as they provide an alternative to how I'm interpreting Gerald's images. In some cases I have reviewed what I have done as a result. I would consider his work part of my workflow now! ( Thanks Kev! )
Gerald
I'll provide the second part of PJ-10 in the order the rendition is completed, starting with #44 and #45.
Gerald
#46, and #38:
Gerald
#33:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
#34, #36:
Gerald
... and #37:
Click to view attachment
Gerald
The PNG-Version of PJ-10 reprojections, part 2, is uploaded to junocam.pictures, and submitted to missionjuno.
The images are vertically 180 degrees, and horizontally 60 degrees FOV. They are reprojected to Juno's trajectory position at image stop time.
The images are decompanded, approximately illumination-adjusted according to an illumination model inferred from PJ06 TDI-2 images, gamma-streched to the 4th power of radiometrical data, mostly patched from repetitive camera artifacts, and approximately exposure-adjusted based on the 99.9% quantile.
Kevin Gill
Overview of Perijove 10 using images I've processed so far.

Full Size: https://flic.kr/p/22MXEhF
Sean
PJ10_037 [G.Eichstadt]

PJ10_038

Process...
Upscale, color balance, levels pass, masked sharpen, masked exposure, blended exposure, repairs, edge fills, glow, downscale
Gerald
Website with PJ10 flyby movie stills partially updated.
Preliminary YouTube version is online.

... continuing next year ...
avisolo
THANKS SO MUCH GERALD FOR YOUR STELLAR WORK IN ADVANCING THE CAUSE OF ENLIGHTENMENT FOR ALL HUMANITY!

Here's my humble take on your movie:)
https://vimeo.com/248700527

Happy Holidays & New Year,
Avi
Sean
Click thru for a quick retime on Gerald's PJ10 animation.

The purpose here was to test animated masks between separate shots in order to fill out the frame. There is work to be done to blend exposure differences as well as the usual processing.
Sean
PJ10_039 [G.Eichstadt]

Bjorn Jonsson
Here are my versions of image PJ10_028. I recently made minor improvements to my processing. The biggest difference is that now I no longer 'lose' the fuzzy and bluish horizon at the limb in the hi-res images as as result of the processing (the limb isn't sharply defined in these images as in my earlier images). First three approximately true color/contrast versions:

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Notice the bluish horizon at the limb, especially in the central image. This is Jupiter's blue sky.

And versions with enhanced colors, contrast and sharpness:

Juno was only 4420 km above Jupiter's clouds. This is especially obvious in the central image which has a field of view of 70 degrees.

The image below shows Jupiter's blue sky at the limb; this is an approximately true color/contrast image. This image has a field of view of 20 degrees. This corresponds to an enlargement by a factor of ~3 compared to the original framelets.
Click to view attachment

And finally a subset of the relevant metadata:

IMAGE_TIME = 2017-12-16T17:59:33.468
MISSION_PHASE_NAME = PERIJOVE 10
PRODUCT_ID = JNCE_2017350_10C00028_V01
SPACECRAFT_ALTITUDE = 4420.2
SPACECRAFT_NAME = JUNO
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LATITUDE = 5.7721
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LONGITUDE = 297.5258
TITLE = North Equatorial Belt, southern edge
Resolution at nadir: ~3.0 km/pixel
Gerald
Thanks, AviSolo!
The vast majority of the merits ought to go to the many people working in the background, who make all this possible!
A happy and successful year 2018 to all of you!

I'm also looking forward to the creativity of the image processing community, which will contribute to the capabilities of all of us.
Björn's blue sky is a first interesting item to add; thus far, I've obtained similar results only unintentionally, when I worked slightly inaccurately.

---

In the meanwhile, most of the relevant still images of the (somewhat preliminary) PJ-10 flyby movie are online (the site of 2017-12-22 is updated).
Bjorn Jonsson
QUOTE (Gerald @ Jan 1 2018, 08:16 PM) *
I'm also looking forward to the creativity of the image processing community, which will contribute to the capabilities of all of us.
Björn's blue sky is a first interesting item to add; thus far, I've obtained similar results only unintentionally, when I worked slightly inaccurately.

In a way, what I did was 'intentionally inaccurate'. I simply increased Jupiter's radii by 200 km when reprojecting the framelets to simple cylindrical projection and also when rendering the images. By doing this I don't lose the fuzzy/hazy limb visible in the original framelets. This requires very accurate pointing information and a very accurate value for the interframe delay, otherwise you 'lose' the blue sky at the southern and/or northern limb or you get incorrect color at the limb.
Bjorn Jonsson
And here are my versions of the PJ10_024 image (North North Temperate Belt) in approximately true color/contrast and in enhanced color, contrast and sharpness. Image PJ10_024 is centered near latitude 40 degrees north; this area has been especially photogenic in the JunoCam images.

These images do not include a bluish/fuzzy/hazy limb because I started working on them before I started my (successful) experiments involving the limb.

Metadata:

IMAGE_TIME = 2017-12-16T17:47:51.438
MISSION_PHASE_NAME = PERIJOVE 10
PRODUCT_ID = JNCE_2017350_10C00024_V01
SPACECRAFT_ALTITUDE = 8786.9
SPACECRAFT_NAME = JUNO
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LATITUDE = 38.3574
SUB_SPACECRAFT_LONGITUDE = 287.7498
TITLE = North North Temperate Belt
Resolution at nadir: ~5.9 km/pixel
tolis
QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jan 3 2018, 11:58 PM) *
And here are my versions of the PJ10_024 image (North North Temperate Belt) in approximately true color/contrast and in enhanced color, contrast and sharpness. Image PJ10_024 is centered near latitude 40 degrees north; this area has been especially photogenic in the JunoCam images.

The round, bluish feature with the dark centre in frame #24 reminds me of the SL-9 impact scars back in 1994.
Gerald
In his recent, first PJ-10 report, John Rogers (BAA) suggested, that these dark patches might be soot as a result of lighting activity in thunderstorms.

Here a heavily enhanced version of a still of my prelimnary PJ-10 flyby animation:
Click to view attachment
(I think, that I should upload this to missionjuno.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.