Full Version: Juno, perijove 10
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Jupiter > Juno
Pages: 1, 2
Sean
Here is my take on Gerald's PJ10_034...

Gerald
Jupiter in Perijove-10's Io shine, noisy proof of principle:
Click to view attachment
The bright object at the right is Io with stray light, Jupiter is coming in from the left.
Lots of hot pixels and energetic particle hits aren't filtered out in this version.
elakdawalla
That is something I never anticipated could be done
Gsnorgathon
Good job, Gerald! Are those Jupiter's rings at the top in the last frame?
mcaplinger
QUOTE (Gsnorgathon @ Feb 2 2018, 04:36 PM) *
Are those Jupiter's rings at the top in the last frame?

Those are stray light artifacts. In fact, not to be a buzzkill, but all of it could be stray light artifacts.
Explorer1
I can't remember. the rings have already been caught with Junocam, correct? I know there was the star tracker image back on Perijove 1 ( https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA21644 ). At least, they would be something for Junocam to catch now that the perjoves are gradually going into shadow...
mcaplinger
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Feb 2 2018, 06:33 PM) *
I can't remember. the rings have already been caught with Junocam, correct?

Yes, barely. https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing?id=368

It's not the perijoves that are going into shadow, it's the approach side of the planet roughly 180 degrees from perijove. At any rate I don't think the geometry is very favorable for seeing the rings, else they might have been visible in the PJ10 images.

Junocam was never intended to look for things that were very dark.
Brian Swift
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Feb 2 2018, 06:33 PM) *
I can't remember. the rings have already been caught with Junocam, correct?

My take on the rings from PJ3. Includes a few more framelets, so Orion is also visible.

https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing?id=2576
Bjorn Jonsson
Here is a GIF time-lapse from the PJ10_33 and PJ10_36 images:

Click to view attachment

The images were obtained about 12 minutes apart. The time-lapse reveals the cyclonic motion of the STB Ghost which is the big feature at and slightly below center.

North is up and the images are in simple cylindrical projection.

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jan 31 2018, 12:07 PM) *
Jupiter in Perijove-10's Io shine, noisy proof of principle:

This is an amazing image even though it's not exactly the prettiest image of Jupiter I've seen.
Gerald
Link to PJ10 FFR animated gif.
Gerald
This PJ-10 YouTube movie combines two time-lapse rates at the same time. The overall motion is a zoom-in of the changing perspective along Juno's trajectory over the south polar region. A fast time-lapse is looping over a set of images reprojected to a similar perspective, such that you can perceive feature motion in Jupiter's storm systems.

Towards the end of the movie, there is a rapid change between day and night side. So this might not be recommended for people with epilepsy.
Sean
Some cloud detail from PJ10_26 [M.Brealey]

Sean
PJ10_32 [M.Brealey]

Filled a data gap image lower right.

Phil Stooke
Here are Sean's Juno images on display at LPSC.

Justin's were right next to these.

PhilClick to view attachment
Sean
PJ10_34_new pass

Sean
PJ10_23 details & portrait, new pass

volcanopele
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

JIRAM data from PJ10 has been released to the PDS this week. I've been working on Io data today, though I need to figure out how to translate the various stats of azimuth in the labels to determine north azimuth angle.

Most prominently is a new volcanic hotspot at 78 S, 317 S that wasn't seen two months earlier by JIRAM during PJ9. This hotspot was last seen in Voyager IRIS data in 1979.

Coincidently, there is a press release about this eruption out now (though they circle a hotspot south of Illyrikon Regio that was seen in PJ9, and I think that was a plume source during New Horizons..., the new hotspot is the one right above the circle in the JPL graphic):

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7189
Floyd
Hi Volcanopele--Very interesting. Could you label the three images as I'm not sure which is from which passage. As you are doing all this new analysis, maybe a good time to update the Gish Bar Times.
volcanopele
Those three are all from PJ10. I made another post in the PJ9 thread for images from that pass.

I’m working on a new post for the Planetary Society where I think I’ll include these.
Sean
Revisited PJ10_23 after Gerald...

Sean
Updates using a new image process...

PJ10_23 details...

Sean
PJ10_22

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.