Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Perseverance valley
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Julius
Time for another topic, me thinks.
atomoid
figuring this "Perseverance Valley" thread should populate with said content...are we there yet??

Here are some stereo views from sol4786 images of presumably water-carved topography downslope of the spillway
(ICE didn't deal well with the contrast scope so at left is anaglyph of 3 pairs, crosseye of left portion, crosseye of right portion, at right is a parellel of most lumpy section).
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Floyd
The pancam images for the past several days show a ground texture that looks like it is cemented together and really interesting textures. Maybe some of the image wizards can put these images together for all to see. We won't be getting too much back for a while, but channel already looks very interesting.
atomoid
nice to see MI images being taken again sol4787, these look set up to stitch for stereo pairs so heres the stitch and one of its sub-pairs in crosseye/anaglyph
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Floyd @ Jul 13 2017, 03:22 PM) *
The pancam images for the past several days show a ground texture that looks like it is cemented together and really interesting textures. Maybe some of the image wizards can put these images together for all to see. We won't be getting too much back for a while, but channel already looks very interesting.

I'm not so sure about the terrain being cemented. The RHAZ show quite visible cleat marks indicating the soil can be compressed by the cleats. To my untrained eye, this looks more like gravel. Anyway, parking brake is set, we even turned the RF wheel a bit to keep things according to MDOT (Martian Department of Transportation) regulations. See yoou in a couple of weeks.

Paolo
Floyd

OK Maybe not cemented, but some of these slabs look polished--almost like glacial polish. Does this look like polish by running water to any of you?
PDP8E
Hi floyd,
we have seen what a couple of million years of low density Mar's wind can do to 'fluted' rocks.
I think the environment there is alien enough that we cant quite appreciate the processes
On Earth you be hard pressed to find a dozen 'craters' due to fast (compared to mars) erosion (rain, winds, quakes, tectonics, oceans)
These could be stream cobbles or wind eroded ...
I am waiting on Grotzinger .et al to weigh in.
But it sure is fascinating! Awesome image!

See you around town, fellow Bostonian!

monty python
That surface does look a little different to my untrained eye. There is work to do here!
atomoid
Perseverance Valley indeed seems to differ somewhat significantly in the bedrock and consistency of the soils, comparing relatively similar filter#2 views from Marathon sol4122 with its more pillowy bedrock and angular shards versus the more pebbly and sheared surface seen here in Perseverance sol4791.

That observation, at least in this very limited sampling, doesn't completely hold up when perusing a sampling of MI images at Marathon sol4131 vs Perseverance sol4787, but still some interesting differences are apparent and despite the better focus and exposure of the more recently acquired MI, it seems like the muddier fines have been cleaned away here. I'm curious whether any of this owes to winds in each locale, inferring that here in Perseverance we might expect better solar panel cleaning events? since if seasonal patterns are consistent the images linked are just about 1 Mars year apart.
marsophile
Click to view attachment

Different all right. Parallel-eye stereo.

Are there some berries on that grooved fragment? It's hard for me to tell.
serpens
Different, but attractive.
nprev
Different indeed.

I wonder if we're seeing the effects of a few tens or hundreds of millions of years of wind scouring on harder than usual bedrock.
fredk
We're starting to see some clouds as we head towards winter. Here's an navcam animation from 4793:
Click to view attachment
This is a stretched difference of each frame from the average of the frames.
jvandriel
The road ahead.

The Pancam L2 images taken between Sol 4785 and Sol 4793 stitched together.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
PDP8E
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 19 2017, 12:31 PM) *
We're starting to see some clouds as we head towards winter. Here's an navcam animation from 4793:
This is a stretched difference of each frame from the average of the frames.

Hi Fred,
The originals have that bright 'half moon' in the lower third of the frames (which I think you chopped off)
What is that bright area?
RoverDriver
QUOTE (PDP8E @ Jul 23 2017, 09:42 PM) *
Hi Fred,
The originals have that bright 'half moon' in the lower third of the frames (which I think you chopped off)
What is that bright area?

It is caused by the dust of times. ;-) The small hood we have in front optical element only partly occludes the Sun. Therefore, even when the Sun is outside the field of view it will illuminate the dust which causes diffusion and enters the optical path. Most of the dust was accumulated around Sol 1200+ (2007) but during the years the wide have cleaned up the front elements quite a bit.

Paolo
marsophile
https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/mission/status.html#opportunity

Looks like Oppy has insisted on a two-week vacation during Solar Conjunction!
fredk
Catching up on some night sky imaging from 4784. Here's a stack of three frames to increase the S/N by sqrt(3):
Click to view attachment
I don't recognize the field...
Deimos
Taurus, just below pointy end of the Hyades. Kinda random. A rare night comm pass allowed free astronomy, but no moons were up. Still useful as practice and will add a night opacity datum..
marsophile
http://www.planetary.org/explore/space-top...nce-valley.html

Monthly MER Update from the Planetary Society. Also has a nice star photo.

I'm wondering what all the proper motion streaks are, especially the sideways ones. Meteors in the Mars atmosphere?
fredk
Thanks, Deimos.

Marsophile, the steaks directed from 11 o'clock to 5 o'clock are stars trailing during the exposure. Everything else should be cosmic ray hits.
djellison
Here's the field as calculated by Astrometry.net
( http://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/1693971#annotated )

Click to view attachment
marsophile
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...Z0P2543L2M1.JPG

Near-perfect layering?
Phil Stooke
My guess is that it's an erosional texture as seen in the MI images from the same sol.

Phil

monty python
I guess, since oppy moved immediately after conjunction, the auto mode reset she had was no big deal.
marsophile
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P1956L0M1.JPG

This image may provide some perspective on the channels and their relationship to the surrounding landscape.
atomoid
sol4809 MI stitch, with bonus anaglyph highlighting the obligatory ICE stitching artifacts.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jvandriel
The Navcam L0 view on Sol 4816.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
jvandriel
Mi cam view taken on Sol 4809-4810.

Jan van Driel

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
This is Jan's 4816 panorama reprojected into a roughly maplike geometry to give a view of the surroundings. The lower right (southeast) corner is still bad in this version. The tracks cross a small crater.

Phil

Click to view attachment
jhagen
Click to view attachmentMy take on the sol 4809 stereo mosaic.
marsophile
Click to view attachment

Parallel-eye stereo.
atomoid
pretty good view down the 'cascades' sol4825 cross/anag
PDP8E
Oppy is moving down into Perseverance Valley
Cant wait for the explanation about what we are looking at here....
Click to view attachment
monty python
What a "groovy" picture.
Phil Stooke
I concur. It IS groovy! Also it seems to contain some grooves. A stereo version will be particularly interesting.

Phil
atomoid
a collection of sol4831 pancam crosseye/anaglyphs of groovy view, the 'moguls', plus a wider pano of that from the previous location.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
atomoid
downslope stereo view for sol4841
atomoid
lengthly september edition of the Planetary.org MER update goes into a lot of detail about driving and energy production challenges... plus a huge 15MB "Sprained Ankle Panorama" (why so-named?).
I've never heard much discussion regarding the current state of Oppy's battery charge capacity after all these years, here we are almost 14 years in now using workarounds to so many ageing issues, yet (mercifully) there seem no worries with the batteries!

here's a sol4843 stitch anaglyph and crosseye of one section of the upslope dusk images
fredk
QUOTE (atomoid @ Sep 9 2017, 12:04 AM) *
(why so-named?).
Maybe because of the LF wheel problem up there?
I've never heard much discussion regarding the current state of Oppy's battery charge capacity after all these years, here we are almost 14 years in now using workarounds to so many ageing issues, yet (mercifully) there seem no worries with the batteries!
Check out some discussion in this post.
serpens
Possibly we are becoming blasé about Opportunity's performance, leaving the astounding achievement of the 45 kilometre mark unremarked. Looks like it is going to be a long slow winter for Opportunity with power generation hovering around 280 Watt hours at this time.
atomoid
Thanks for reminding us, so Oppy slogs past another kilometerstone with no fanfare, not even in Crumpler's latest post from last friday, i think thats equivalent to traversing about 70% around the entire Endeavor ridge, so i guess we got a while before we hit that one, i am perhaps too complacently confident that will happen! to help celebrate here is a stereo of the latest MI pairs from sol4857.
And thanks fredk, that info about the battery was very illuminating!
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
charborob
Sol 4859 Lpancam panorama:
fredk
This new drive back uphill was discussed in the latest PS update:
One option under consideration is to send the rover back uphill to an area near the first way station where the MER scientists have spotted some interesting bedrock.

“It looks like two different colored, bedrock units in direct proximity,” said Golombek. “One area that we’re imaging shows that one side has rocks of a lighter tone and the other has a browner, darker tone and the two units appear to be separated by what could be a fracture zone or something. It’s all dirt, maybe broken up rock that’s been filled in by sand, or who knows?”
atomoid
cross/anaglyph/parellel views of the in-place weathering exhibit sol4875
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
PDP8E
Oppy drove back uphill a bit in Perseverance Valley. Here is a stitch from Sol 4879 (10/15/2017?)
I ran it through a slight rinse in my De-Convolution Machine ...
Click to view attachment
fredk
Popping a wheelie with the RR wheel after a short bump on 4883:
Click to view attachment
monty python
Wow! That's radical. Don't think I've seen that before. I only see a trail from the wheel on the right. Was it pivoting?
fredk
The 4883 drive looks like a very short bump upslope, towards the direction we're looking in the image I posted. We're sitting almost exactly on our tracks from the downslope drive on 4831 (check Phil's map) and the obvious track is from that drive. It's harder to see the track from the other wheels I guess because of the bigger rocks on that side.
James Sorenson
It's been awhile since I have worked on images.

Sol-4884

Full Resolution
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43581439@N08/...285461/sizes/o/

Falsecolor

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43581439@N08/...962043/sizes/o/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.