Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Horizons: Approach Phase
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Pluto / KBO > New Horizons
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Gerald
QUOTE (fred_76 @ Jun 25 2015, 06:26 PM) *
Gerald, it seems that the Pluto Viewer orbital parameters for Styx are uncorrect. Kerberos predicted positions fit observations, but not Styx's...

By now, I've crosschecked my tentative identification of Kerberos and Styx with this image and these metadata, and found - after correction for systematic translation, 90° rotation, and proper choice of the coordinate axis convention - consistency up to maybe two pixels.

-- So, I'd say, even the JPGs - despite a loss of 4 + ε bits per pixel relative to the lossless images - are now at a level, that we have an opportunity to make discoveries beyond HST.
ZLD
QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jun 25 2015, 03:07 PM) *
Pluto's apparently bright limb at right is at least partially (and maybe entirely) a processing artifact.

Got a very similar result as yours again Bjorn. Differing processes resulting in a similar set of features would yield that most visible elements are real at this point I think.

Click to view attachment

Non-rotated
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
(click to animate)
um3k
Here's my take, pretty modest sharpening, enlargement, and stack:

Click to view attachment
Roby72
Here is a try from June 25th images with MVIC coloration.

Robert

Click to view attachment
Superstring
QUOTE (Roby72 @ Jun 25 2015, 10:40 PM) *
Here is a try from June 25th images with MVIC coloration.

Robert

If you had showed me that Pluto image with no context (and no Charon), I would have thought it was a picture of Iapetus.
Gladstoner
Pluto system flyby simulation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f19tTPlUoqc

I'm really looking forward to the close-up of Pluto and Charon in the same frame.

(This video or something similar may have been posted elsewhere in the past, but I'll leave it here for reference and convenience.)
Bjorn Jonsson
Here is a big diagram from the PDS Rings Node Pluto Viewer showing Pluto at the time of the 2015-06-25 05:37 images. The diagram is big enough for the position of the terminator to be obvious. The orientation matches the orientation of the image I posted above (it's upside-down relative to the raw JPGs).

Click to view attachment

The phase angle is only 15° and the terminator is near the limb. For this reason, any topographic shadows aren't likely to become visible until the resolution has become much higher than it currently is.

Pete B.
QUOTE (Gladstoner @ Jun 25 2015, 10:50 PM) *
Pluto system flyby simulation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f19tTPlUoqc

I'm really looking forward to the close-up of Pluto and Charon in the same frame.

(This video or something similar may have been posted elsewhere in the past, but I'll leave it here for reference and convenience.)

Alan Stern has said that there will be Observation Playbooks other than the one for the early release stuff. I hope that there is one for all of the observations in the Near Encounter Phase. And even earlier and later phases of the encounter. Too much information is sometimes not enough. :-)
brellis
According to this article, NASA's SOFIA will be making infrared observations of Pluto during the NH encounter, and on June 29 it will be in Australia during Pluto's occultation of a 12th mag. star.

What a great opportunity to use NH's observations during the encounter as a way to confirm details that may only be hinted at in the SOFIA data from the occultation!
Phil Stooke
This is an attempt to combine the best recent images - as processed by our wizards here - into a global map of Pluto. Please bear in mind that the registration to the coordinate grid is not very rigorous, in particular because it's not easy to fit to the limb at this resolution. But it gives you an idea. Zero longitude, facing Charon, is at the left edge, 180 in the middle. Approximately! I hope we'll get an official version of this soon so I can fix mine.

Phil

Click to view attachment
fred_76
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 26 2015, 06:59 PM) *
This is an attempt to combine the best recent images - as processed by our wizards here - into a global map of Pluto. (...)

You just need to resize the picture of Phil Stooke to 1024x512 and save it to PNG, then replace the Pluto.png file in the ...\Stellarium\textures directory and get a good view of Pluto !

To view Pluto, with Stellarium, center the view on Nix (F3 then Nix then Enter) then go to Nix : Ctrl-G. Done. Right now this is what the Nixians are seeing, of course the texture of Charon is not yet up o date :

Click to view attachment
um3k
I took the liberty of combining Phil's map with Marc Buie's color map:

First, run-of-the-mill color blending mode:
Click to view attachment

Second, a more creative interpretation, using several layers and blending modes:
Click to view attachment

In both cases, I offset the Buie maps 80 pixels to the right to (attempt to) align the most prominent albedo features.

Naturally, take this all with a grain of salt, it's just Photoshop fudging.
Phil Stooke
Great job!

Phil

Phil Stooke
In fact it inspired me to add the old mutual events map to mine. (your colour is from the HST map)

Phil

Click to view attachment
Bjorn Jonsson
While waiting for the next batch of images to appear I decided to process the most recent four image set. It was obtained on 2015-06-23 04:04. Here is the result, a stack of four images. The processing is similar to what I did earlier. A version with a lat/lon grid is also included to show the image orientation. The orientation is slightly different from what it has been in most of the earlier images,

Nothing particularly interesting here compared to images that have already been posted here except maybe for one thing: The 'irregularities' near the lower right limb are probably at least partially real.

Charon clearly has a dark polar region. From the raw JPGs, its brightness is maybe ~70 percent of the brightness of the brighter terrain (this is a *very* crude estimate).

Great maps in the posts above and very useful.

ZLD
Great maps guys. Pluto, the best abstract artist in the Solar System! Phil, I might have to consider putting that last one on a wall.
Bjorn Jonsson
Here is a crude and very preliminary map of Pluto based on my June 21, 22, 23 and 25 processed images (one set of images per day). It has more obvious processing and resampling artifacts than Phil's map. The major features match Phil's map but I think my map might less accurate than Phil's map north of latitude ~65 degrees but it is probably more accurate closer to the equator (especially near the boundary of the dark terrain). Longitude 0 is at the left edge and longitude 180 at center.

Click to view attachment

As in the maps above, contrast is greatly exaggerated. The dark terrain isn't as dark relative to the bright terrain as the maps might suggest.

Bjorn Jonsson
And here is a rotation movie of Pluto created using the map I posted above. It's crude - but not nearly as crude as the rotation movie I posted 10 days ago. This one is much more accurate.

Click to view attachment

Julius
From this distance, Pluto is looking very much like Triton with similar processes in place in terms of a polar cap which seems to be sublimating with potential geysers. Don't you agree?
Habukaz
Pluto has a lot more contrast (= different heat distribution), though, and different colours (= different surface chemistry). I'd guess this alone could make for some fundamental differences for Pluto's surface geology.
climber
QUOTE (Julius @ Jun 27 2015, 09:31 AM) *
From this distance, Pluto is looking very much like Triton with similar processes in place in terms of a polar cap which seems to be sublimating with potential geysers. Don't you agree?

You mean Pluto, the one that was untill a few years ago thought to be a lost sattelite of Neptune laugh.gif ?
surbiton
QUOTE (climber @ Jun 27 2015, 11:58 AM) *
You mean Pluto, the one that was untill a few years ago thought to be a lost sattelite of Neptune laugh.gif ?

And....NOT even a planet today !!!
Steve5304
QUOTE (Habukaz @ Jun 27 2015, 10:13 AM) *
Pluto has a lot more contrast (= different heat distribution), though, and different colours (= different surface chemistry). I'd guess this alone could make for some fundamental differences for Pluto's surface geology.

Hard to tell yet. We know so little about both but at first glance yes. The two are similiar and it makes me speculate if all tnos are going to be of similiar material because the material out there is different. But there is charon which looks kinda like a rockier body whereas pluto is covered in hydrocarbon dirt at first glance.

I think we are in for some pretty big suprises...the worst part is going to be having to wait till september for the best data and high res images.

Between this, rosetta and dawn this is the most exciting time in space exploration i can ever remember. We wont have to wait for the evening news like with voyager.

Steve5304
QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jun 27 2015, 04:21 AM) *
And here is a rotation movie of Pluto created using the map I posted above. It's crude - but not nearly as crude as the rotation movie I posted 10 days ago. This one is much more accurate.

Click to view attachment

Looks like banding or stripes at the north pole like europa has.. Artifact?
Bjorn Jonsson
Yes, the banding/stripes at the pole are a processing artifact. The map I created/used for doing the movie is more accurate farther from the pole.
Habukaz
Regarding Triton, there is a lot of detailed information about it available in the preview for the Encyclopedia of the Solar System (2014) on Google here. Should be a good relevant warm-up for the Pluto flyby.
ZLD
QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jun 27 2015, 10:17 AM) *
Yes, the banding/stripes at the pole are a processing artifact.

I'm not so sure. I've been seeing these same lines show up for several weeks now. Wouldn't rule them out just yet.
Phil Stooke
Bjorn's very nice map showed me I had an offset in longitude in mine, so I have corrected that and re-done the added colour from mutual events.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Decepticon
These maps don't match up to HST map images.

Is it a matter of resolution?
Phil Stooke
Actually, if you look at the HST maps on Mark Buie's website:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~buie/pluto/hrcmap.html

They don't really match each other!

Here is a comparison of an average of all five maps on Buie's page with the map I just posted above. I think the match is reasonable. The large dark patch and adjacent bright region are quite similar.

Click to view attachment

Phil
ZLD
Well this could mean several different things.

1) Previous observations have yielded lots of artifacts that have made their way into the final versions.
2) Current processing of NH data is yielding lots of artifacts
3) Pluto is quite active and has changed a bit in 20 years.

I'll be hoping for door #3. smile.gif

Also, I think the maps actually look a lot alike.

Edit:

Here's a crude annotated comparison of features I notice.
Click to view attachment
Bjorn Jonsson
I think the most likely explanation is that the resolution of the NH images is now considerably higher than the resolution of the previous older data. My map should be fairly accurate (keeping in mind the resolution of the source data), except near the pole.

Of course I'm hoping for ZLD's #3 (changes to the surface) but I have doubts about large scale changes (I'm not sure though how fast the albedo features could change due to e.g. condensation and/or sublimation).
Steve5304
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 27 2015, 05:46 PM) *
Actually, if you look at the HST maps on Mark Buie's website:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~buie/pluto/hrcmap.html

They don't really match each other!

Here is a comparison of an average of all five maps on Buie's page with the map I just posted above. I think the match is reasonable. The large dark patch and adjacent bright region are quite similar.

Click to view attachment

Phil

Good catch.

Maybe plutos atmosphere is more fluid and active than we think. Maybe the surface is always changing. Ive seen a few videos of the possibility of planetwide hydrocarbon snowfalls on a pretty frequent basis when its closer to the sun.
JRehling
QUOTE (ZLD @ Jun 27 2015, 11:35 AM) *
Well this could mean several different things.

1) Previous observations have yielded lots of artifacts that have made their way into the final versions.
2) Current processing of NH data is yielding lots of artifacts
3) Pluto is quite active and has changed a bit in 20 years.

Also, the HST maps were based on imagery using blue and ultraviolet filters. LORRI uses "wide spectral region extending approximately from 350 nm to 850 nm." A lot of worlds look different in UV than in a wide spectral range centered on the visible. Don't overlook this possible source of discrepancy.
Phil Stooke
New images from the 27th. We just have 2 (so far) - here they are enlarged 4x and merged with some stretching and sharpening. A bit more detail on Charon now?

Phil

Click to view attachment

PS - this is south up... the dark polar spot isn't apparent. Not sure why.
ZLD
June 27th data. Only 2 images again so word of caution in regards to noise presence.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
(click to animate)

Click to view attachment

Also, I've been looking for a good short series of the Triton approach to test this same method on. If anyone wants to clue me in other than scouring OPUS/PA or the image indexes, I would grateful.
alk3997
QUOTE (ZLD @ Jun 27 2015, 08:26 PM) *
June 27th data. Only 2 images again so word of caution in regards to noise presence.

Also, I've been looking for a good short series of the Triton approach to test this same method on. If anyone wants to clue me in other than scouring OPUS/PA or the image indexes, I would grateful.

That dark "patch" towards the sourthern part of Pluto still surprises me. I keep waiting for detail to emerge but nothing yet.

That brings me to a question. Is the black patch on Pluto about the same brightness as the dark pole of Charon? I keep thinking Charon's pole is lighter but that may be an optical illusion.

And, a second question...Was there enough resolution two weeks ago to actually tell if any of the bright areas towards the southern pole of Pluto have changed shape? I'm obviously thinking about clouds (or at least wispy versions of clouds). Changes in shape would be one way to get a hint of clouds.

Andy
Phil Stooke
That picture is south-up. The dark area is south of the equator. It's not the same as the tiny dark spot at the north pole which Bjorn illustrated earlier.

Phil

alk3997
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 27 2015, 10:50 PM) *
That picture is south-up. The dark area is south of the equator. It's not the same as the tiny dark spot at the north pole which Bjorn illustrated earlier.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I'll correct my comment above.

Andy
Julius
Circa 40% of Tritons surface was imaged by Voyager..what percentage of Plutos surface will be imaged at close encounter by NH?
Steve5304
QUOTE (Julius @ Jun 28 2015, 04:12 AM) *
Circa 40% of Tritons surface was imaged by Voyager..what percentage of Plutos surface will be imaged at close encounter by NH?

All of it is going to get imaged. 35 percent at high resolution
ZLD
June 26, single image.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
(click to animate)

Click to view attachment
(non corrected orientation)
The sharpness of Charon is almost certainly not real. The features may be similar but I don't think i can pull that sharp of a line.

-----
Edit
-----
Didn't realize there was such a large dump today.

Here's another from June 26.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
(click to animate)

Click to view attachment
nprev
MOD NOTE: The New Horizons Pluto System Encounter thread is now open. Please post all observations after 28 Jun 15 on that thread. Thanks!
Habukaz
Placing a bet on a relatively bright spot on Charon (centre-left; from 27 June)

Click to view attachment
surbiton
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 28 2015, 02:57 AM) *
New images from the 27th. We just have 2 (so far) - here they are enlarged 4x and merged with some stretching and sharpening. A bit more detail on Charon now?

Phil

Click to view attachment

PS - this is south up... the dark polar spot isn't apparent. Not sure why.

The two big dark patches [ one next to the South pole and the other one next to it ] - are they not just craters ? To my untrained eye,
it seems like that for a week or so.
Bjorn Jonsson
Here is my version of the 2015-06-27 05:32 images together with the viewing geometry. This is a stack of two images. The processing is similar to my earlier images with one exception: I used quadratic resampling instead of Lanczos resampling when enlarging the images in ImageMagick and then sharpened the images a bit more than earlier. The result is similar overall sharpness and less obvious resampling artifacts but the details on Pluto and Charon are unchanged.

The boundary of Pluto's dark terrain is becoming more irregular now. The feature near the limb at upper right is particularly interesting. Inspection of the original JPGs reveals that it is real. Looking closely at the diagram shows that the terminator is at upper left, i.e. the sun illuminates Pluto from lower right. This rules out shadows associated with a crater and makes this feature likely to be due to albedo variations.

The shape of the dark spots on Charon is becoming more irregular now with the increasing resolution.
tedstryk
QUOTE (Julius @ Jun 28 2015, 04:12 AM) *

It was more than that. 40% at relatively high resolution, but another ~30% at much much better resolution than we can do from earth.
volcanopele
QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Jun 26 2015, 09:00 PM) *

Quick question, which side is Pluto's leading hemisphere? I presume the left side, right?
Habukaz
QUOTE (surbiton @ Jun 28 2015, 09:06 PM) *
The two big dark patches [ one next to the South pole and the other one next to it ] - are they not just craters ? To my untrained eye,
it seems like that for a week or so.

The viewing geometry has been confusing me a bit - but if I now understand it correctly, the south poles of neither Pluto nor Charon are visible at this point. Look at e.g. the illustration from Bjorn Jonsson or the globe used to illustrate the rotational axis in this image.

ZLD
For Pluto, the pole is usually the sharpest mid-range gray feature visible near a limb in the brightest section of Pluto in any of the iamges. That doesn't give you a precise point to focus on but it'll get you in the right area every time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.