Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bye Bye Vostok
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3
djellison
Looking at the Exploratorium - it appears we've left Vostok on a very long drive - I guess a few days of spectrometer integrations is data-thin giving time to dump out the flash memory ready to pack it up full with Autonav again smile.gif

I believe a 10 or 11 x 3 L257 Pan was taken at Vostok on Sol 400 so should be some pretty pictures soon smile.gif I'd put cash on it being downsampled to 256 x 256 like the Triplet imagery however.

Anyhow - here's to the next leg of the big-treck (raises a glass of Diet Coke as a toast)

Doug
TheChemist
I'll drink to that biggrin.gif [raises his ice-cold frappe]

The question is, do we go south towards Victoria, or southwest to meet the etched terrain earlier ? We'll see soon tongue.gif wheel.gif
Nix
I'll go for the diet coke too. Cheers! tongue.gif personally I hope this will be a straight route to Victoria. There's plenty of etched terrain around.
djellison
I'd like to see us visit that large super-vostok feature in the Etched Terrain - but to be honest, despite some peoples concerns - I see no reason to expect the etched terrain to be anything other than more verbose and widespread versions of Vostok - possibly the dark parts in MOC images being drifts of the darker soil that lives under the blue berries - similar that that which we saw in one of the Triplet craters.

I've not seen any results of DEM generation from MOC stereo pairs to generate 3d models of the etched area - but MOLA shows it as flat to within a degree or two on a 250m scale.

Doug
dot.dk
Is that the first sign of the etched terrain wee see in the horizon?

http://qt.exploratorium.edu:16080/mars/opp...49P2386R1M1.JPG
OWW
QUOTE (TheChemist @ Mar 15 2005, 10:59 AM)
The question is, do we go south towards Victoria, or southwest to meet the etched terrain earlier ? We'll see soon tongue.gif wheel.gif

Well, according to this map stolen tongue.gif from R.Arvidson's pdf "MER main scientific results" on http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/in...fobjectid=36537,
Oppy will graze the etched terrain to the southwest first and then head south to the 'weird crater' in the main etched terrain.
djellison
The next MSSS MOC release isnt too far away is it? I'm looking forward to grabbing all the meridiani images and doing a better route-to-victoria map

FWIW - my strategy would be a drive straight south toward the pair of eagle sized craters that are just before the beginning of the major etching - I'll call them the 'Gate Post' Craters for now (NE Gate Post and SW Gate Post) - I dont see much point in heading off track ot look at other Vostok-like features. That they stopped for such a short time at Vostok suggests it's nothign we havnt seen before. (they are at the end of the 2nd leg on that map previously linked)

Also - a route to the Gate Posts from a slight NW direction would appear to give a slight lull thru the more rolling terrain whilst giving an Opportunity (damn pun not intended ) to observe the etched terrain from afar.

I would then tackle the Western route around the large erroded crater (call it Albert crater - Victoria's husband ) then pick my way SE to an area of exposed rock directly north of Victoria just after the Etched Terrain ebs out - simply because it looks a little out of place there -

Pah - I'm dreaming again..dreaming of being a rover driver biggrin.gif

Anyone had that walking-on-mars-and-find-an-MER-still-working type dream.

Doug
TheChemist
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 15 2005, 02:07 PM)
Anyone had that walking-on-mars-and-find-an-MER-still-working type dream. 

Not yet biggrin.gif
But walking the dog in the evening I often see muddy truck tracks in the fields, and automatically look around to find the rover blink.gif
Plus I stare at the half-clouded sky in dark evenings and think : "This looks like Titan's surface" rolleyes.gif
Should I worry ? laugh.gif
ToSeek
Head southwest to get to the etched terrain as soon as possible. And I want to see a 200-meter drive along the way.

On the other hand, I'm still wondering what that black spot is NE of Vostok. But they don't seem to think it's worth investigating.
MizarKey
QUOTE (ToSeek @ Mar 15 2005, 07:28 AM)
On the other hand, I'm still wondering what that black spot is NE of Vostok. But they don't seem to think it's worth investigating.

The similarity in appearance to the heatshield impact site in the overhead shot does intrigue...possibly another meteorite? Doesn't seem like we'll be seeing it though. dry.gif
aldo12xu
Obsessed, how do you save images from a PDF file? I've been wanting to do that for some time but could never figure it out.

Notice the six units they have outlined? I wonder the difference is between units B & C and D & E.
TheChemist
You just need the full Acrobat for that, Aldo. Use the graphics select tool on the left menu.

If you 're cunning, (as Doug would say biggrin.gif) you can do a screen capture with any image processing software, but with less satisfactory results on the resolution side.
OWW
QUOTE (TheChemist @ Mar 15 2005, 04:15 PM)
You just need the full Acrobat for that, Aldo. Use the graphics select tool on the left menu.

If you 're cunning, (as Doug would say biggrin.gif) you can do a screen capture with any image processing software, but with less satisfactory results on the resolution side.

I used the 'cunning plan' in this case... laugh.gif
You can solve the resolution problem by being REAL cunning. Just stitch a couple of smaller feats of cunningness into one cunning masterpiece!

Yours truly, Baldrick.
djellison
QUOTE (TheChemist @ Mar 15 2005, 04:15 PM)

Ahh - even more cunning, set your screen res to something silly ( 2000 x something ) THEN screen grab it tongue.gif

Doug
Pando
what the hell, I'll be über-cunninglicious and here is the damn original.

Yours cunningly,
Pando
laugh.gif
lyford
QUOTE (TheChemist @ Mar 15 2005, 08:15 AM)

In OSX the system graphics engine uses a variant of pdf so anything you can display on screen can be saved as pdf, printed to pdf, and previewed in pdf. So a screen grab generates a pdf and you can the crop and copy graphics or text from the Preview app, even if the file is locked. I got the image from the PDF this way, but without using Acrobat. tongue.gif
erwan
Hi Lyford, i hope you share some kind of tenderness with PC users while explaining your tips and tricks....
lyford
QUOTE (erwan @ Mar 15 2005, 06:03 PM)
Hi Lyford, i hope you share some kind of tenderness with PC users while explaining your tips and tricks....

But of course! biggrin.gif

The free Acrobat Reader will let you copy the graphics if the document is not locked by the author.

In that case, try MWSnap, a freeware screen grab utility that my wife swears by. (We both swim in multiplatform seas, but I defer to her judgement in the PC graphics realm.)

That's the best way to get the pics out of a locked pdf for free on an XP PC that I know of....

If you want to go hardcore, you could spend $449 US and get Acrobat Professional for the PC. (Or you could spend $499 US and get a MacMini which ships with the PDF Preview app in its Candy Coated Unix.) laugh.gif

Linux users - have to get back to you! (My RedHat 6 box is out of commish right now...) cool.gif

Atari fans - ? PM me!
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (MizarKey @ Mar 15 2005, 03:40 PM)

The similarity in appearance to the heatshield impact site in the overhead shot does intrigue...possibly another meteorite? Doesn't seem like we'll be seeing it though. dry.gif

Wouldn't it be great if the rovers happened upon a piece of a previous US or Russian failed mission? Say, Mars Climate Orbiter or Phobos 2...
erwan
Thanks Lyford for your cunning advices, but after a fall by night with my dog on the bottom of Victoria stiff slopes (Oppy don't go there please) , while gazing at Titan skies, i'll rather spend my bucks for medic nuts and bolts...
Pando
QUOTE (lyford @ Mar 15 2005, 08:47 PM)
That's the best way to get the pics out of a locked pdf for free on an XP PC that I know of....

Uh, umm, there is that little key dinghy on your keyboard that says "Print Screen" on it. Press it, and like magic the screen is copied to the clipboard, open Paint and paste away... tongue.gif biggrin.gif
erwan
By the times, i will first search that little key on my keyboard; but it so simple, i will try it!
erwan
And adopt it...
lyford
QUOTE (Pando @ Mar 15 2005, 08:45 PM)
QUOTE (lyford @ Mar 15 2005, 08:47 PM)

Uh, umm, there is that little key dinghy on your keyboard that says "Print Screen" on it. Press it, and like magic the screen is copied to the clipboard, open Paint and paste away... tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Yes, but MWSnap lets you select a section of the screen to copy first - one less step.
Time is money! tongue.gif
arccos
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Mar 16 2005, 04:19 AM)

Wouldn't it be great if the rovers happened upon a piece of a previous US or Russian failed mission?  Say, Mars Climate Orbiter or Phobos 2...

Amazing explanation!!!
I don't believe so though. Alas we won't know anyway sad.gif.
wyogold
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Mar 16 2005, 04:19 AM)
QUOTE (MizarKey @ Mar 15 2005, 03:40 PM)

Wouldn't it be great if the rovers happened upon a piece of a previous US or Russian failed mission? Say, Mars Climate Orbiter or Phobos 2...

heck the place probaly had a plak placed there saying "here lies the remains of another failed earth probe" with little matrian feet prints around it. tongue.gif laugh.gif

I use "atl" "print screen" then paste into an image program like photoshop. though i prefer the ease of the old irfanview for simple stuff.
djellison
Just a thought regarding the 'other' dark splat mark near by.

Whats the surviveability of the cruise stage after jettison 15 mins before EDL?

Doug
Sunspot
There's a large black object siting out on the plain in this image from Sol 390, not sure if it's looking in the right direction though.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...0P2287L7M1.HTML
tedstryk
Well, considering Phobos-2 is still in orbit, that would be remarkable indeed. The chances of running into something on the ground from a different mission is slim-to-non, and trending towards none. Too much area to cover.
alan
QUOTE (ObsessedWithWorlds @ Mar 15 2005, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE (TheChemist @ Mar 15 2005, 10:59 AM)
The question is, do we go south towards Victoria, or southwest to meet the etched terrain earlier ? We'll see soon  tongue.gif  wheel.gif

Well, according to this map stolen tongue.gif from R.Arvidson's pdf "MER main scientific results" on http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/in...fobjectid=36537,
Oppy will graze the etched terrain to the southwest first and then head south to the 'weird crater' in the main etched terrain.

An elevation map from R.Arvidson's paper

aldo12xu
Thanks for all the tips on saving images from PDF files. Pando's Print Screen method is perfect.......So typical (for me): the solution turns out to be only one or two keystrokes away rolleyes.gif
Sunspot
QUOTE (lyford @ Mar 16 2005, 03:47 AM)
(Or you could spend $499 US and get a MacMini which ships with the PDF Preview app in its Candy Coated Unix.) laugh.gif

I'm getting a Mac Mini in a few months biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

.....anyway back on topic. What's the scale on the map (MOLA?) from the PDF posted above .. is the large purple area Victoria Crater or the giant crater tens of km further south?
alan
the large purple area is the gigantic crater to the south. I think the crater the arrow is pointed to is victoria.
ToSeek
QUOTE (alan @ Mar 17 2005, 01:07 AM)
the large purple area is the gigantic crater to the south. I think the crater the arrow is pointed to is victoria.

I think most of the landing ellipse is covered in that image. Try lining up the terrain in the wide-angle MGS image here. The big crater is below the eastern tip of the landing ellipse, and it also shows a smaller crater above the landing ellipse about 1/3 of the way to the left
tedstryk
It seems from that map that Oppy, if it makes it to the far side of Victoria, might be able to see that giant crater to the south in the distance. I hope so!
wyogold
ohhh how cool would that be. altho it's so far away it will just look like hills or a depression/valley in the distance depending on the dust conditions. I didn't realize the area oppy was on was that elevated. Thanks for the stolen map wink.gif

scott
erwan
QUOTE (ToSeek @ Mar 17 2005, 01:46 AM)
QUOTE (alan @ Mar 17 2005, 01:07 AM)

I think most of the landing ellipse is covered in that image. Try lining up the terrain in the wide-angle MGS image here. The big crater is below the eastern tip of the landing ellipse, and it also shows a smaller crater above the landing ellipse about 1/3 of the way to the left

ToSeek you are right. Linked below is the corresponding area, shaded relief from MOLA datas, cropped from hematite.jpg (from MERs Landing Sites Website )

252kb jpg

ToSeek
Hey, skip Victoria and head for that BIG crater! smile.gif
TheChemist
There is something rizing sharply in the horizon in this pancam from exploratorium. However ripples run parallel to the horizon, so this can't be the south.
djellison
Looks like they skipped straight past that little bit of rock and carried on driving. I wonder if they'll do much weekend driving - it'll be one HELL of a week for the odometer if they do. A 500m week anyone? Could be at Albert for April smile.gif

Doug
TheChemist
I'm not so sure Doug about the long drive. The last forward hazcam image shows that they have turned in front of a little piece of outcrop.
Sunspot
They are alternating between forward and backward driving....when they drive backwards they perform a turn at the end of the drive I think.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P1315R0M1.JPG
TheChemist
I forgot about that sunspot, thanks ! So then maybe wheel.gif wheel.gif for the whole weekend smile.gif
(Afterall, this IS a racing weekend, there's the Malaysia F1 GP laugh.gif )
DEChengst
QUOTE (TheChemist @ Mar 18 2005, 01:43 PM)
(Afterall, this IS a racing weekend, there's the Malaysia F1 GP  laugh.gif )

No sleeping late on Sunday. Got to watch it live. Got to give in to my addiction smile.gif
djellison
Hell yeah - Sepang GP, and the Sebring 12hrs (as a Brit - I'm beside myself over the DBR9 ). Not so happy with the new F1 regs - make a farce of things really.

Dragging things back on topic... smile.gif

This

http://207.7.139.5/mars/opportunity/forwar...T7P1215L0M1.JPG

Is at Site 50

THIS...

http://207.7.139.5/mars/opportunity/forwar...00P1214L0M1.JPG

Is site 51

If they were going to manouver to that rock in the first shot, they'd have simply kept the Site 50 reference. It's a different piece of rock I think

Turn in place at the end of a long drive is common - it lines up the UHF antenna ready for the Odyssey pass to reduce any obstructions by HGA/PMA/LGA for a UHF-Odyssey line of sight to get the max uplink with minimum drop outs. Infact, they have turned in place DURING a UHF pass in the past. And best of all, they've turned in place, taken photographs and done a UHF pass all at the same time on one occasion tongue.gif

Usually - they'll face the rover E-ish or W-ish so that nothing obstructs the UHF antenna. If they face north - then at the beginning of the pass, the PMA can get in the way for the first half of a pass. If they face south - then typically the PMA will obstruct the end of the pass. I dont know this for SURE - I'm just guessing that's why they turn 90 degrees at the end of the day. I do know htey turn specifically for the UHF pass though

Doug
OWW
You can easily tell that Oppy has moved. Just compare the crater on the horizon in the PanCam images. It is 338 pixels wide on Sol 407 and 372 pixels on Sol 408. I'd say that puts Oppy closer to that crater, no? wink.gif
Baltic
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 18 2005, 03:31 PM)
Not so happy with the new F1 regs - make a farce of things really.

That's true. One set of tires for the whole weekend ... mad.gif
But it's interesting to bet how many engines will blow up in the heat of Sepang.

Tom, quite off topic
alan
latest estimate
MahFL
I read on a Mission Managers report that they always turn the rover at the end of a long drve so its in an optimal position for the communications passes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.