Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bye Bye Vostok
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Pete B.
Alan -

Ray Arvidson mentioned in his overview of Opportunity at LPSC that the names of the next crater targets are Viking and Voyager (?). I suppose those are the two sharper rimmed craters about 2/3 of the way down to the big eroded one.
djellison
Damnit -it's Gatepost NE and Gatepost SW tongue.gif

They'll probably have a better name for Albert as well smile.gif

Doug
Pando
names of the next crater targets are Viking and Voyager

Correct. They'll arrive at Viking first...

They'll probably have a better name for Albert as well

I wonder where the name "Albert" came from? unsure.gif smile.gif
OWW
So could the two black features on the horizon (in the picture I posted) actually be Viking and Voyager, or something more close to the rover? unsure.gif
djellison
QUOTE (Pando @ Mar 18 2005, 07:07 PM)
I wonder where the name "Albert" came from? unsure.gif smile.gif

Queen Victoria's husband. I also came up with loads of other names ( the flat area next to Albert with little etched terrain I called 'Albert Dock' which is in liverpool, and lots of smaller craters after Albert and Victorias children. There's one quite large bit of etched terrain that I called 'The V&A' after the Victoria and Albert museum tongue.gif

Doug
SFJCody
Anyone care to bet on the date on which Opportunity will 'overtake' Spirit? Shouldn't take too long. The winner gets a (fun size) Mars bar.
ToSeek
We're seeing more bits of bedrock as we move south - I wonder if we're going to see a gradual transition to that from the sand and ripples as Opportunity approaches the etched terrain.
Pando
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 18 2005, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (Pando @ Mar 18 2005, 07:07 PM)

I wonder where the name "Albert" came from?  unsure.gif  smile.gif

Queen Victoria's husband.

Oh, and I thought it was after Einstein as the crater kinda looks like his hair... tongue.gif laugh.gif silly me... biggrin.gif

Ok, how about "Victor" though tongue.gif we'll see...

Vostok
Viking
Voyager
Victor
Victoria
smile.gif

edit: nevermind... not a spacecraft name... ok, how'bout "Vanguard"...
http://planet4589.org/space/misc/names.html
Sunspot
QUOTE (ToSeek @ Mar 18 2005, 07:50 PM)
We're seeing more bits of bedrock as we move south - I wonder if we're going to see a gradual transition to that from the sand and ripples as Opportunity approaches the etched terrain.

Looking at the route map Pando posted, parts of the etched terrain in the west extend quite far north. Opportunity is taking pictures with the L7 and R1 filters for plotting each drive - however outcrop rock looks quite dark in those wavelengths, it might show up better with the red or near-infra red (L2) - which makes the outcrop appear very bright.

Example, approaching Endurance:

L2: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...0P2556L2M1.HTML

L7: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...0P2556L7M1.HTML
Pando
QUOTE (ToSeek @ Mar 18 2005, 12:50 PM)

I think that is very likely. And I don't think it poses a big obstacle to the rover since the exposed rock is most likely eroded smooth.

There appears to be some mighty big dunes though on top of the exposed bedrock, that would be an interesting sight to see. It almost looks like some big rolling ocean waves 33 meters crest-to-crest, frozen in time...
OWW
QUOTE (Pando @ Mar 18 2005, 07:53 PM)
Ok, how about "Victor" though tongue.gif  we'll see...

Vostok
Viking
Voyager
Victor
Victoria
smile.gif

edit: nevermind... not a spacecraft name... ok, how'bout "Vanguard"...
http://planet4589.org/space/misc/names.html

Venera
Vega
Voskhod
biggrin.gif

On the dunes in the etched terrain; I wonder if these 'fishscale' features around Viking and Voyager are dunes as well :
marswiggle
QUOTE (ObsessedWithWorlds @ Mar 18 2005, 07:27 PM)
So could the two black features on the horizon (in the picture I posted) actually be Viking and Voyager, or something more close to the rover? unsure.gif

That's my impression too. Either them, or dark spots/dunes/ground near them. Not the big one yet I guess.
Pando
Speaking of dunes, those are just little baby ones in front of the rover right now. I think what starts showing up on the horizon now are some of the big monsters, each one a meter or more high and with 30 meters of wavelength . The rover will probably disappear completely between them.

Marslauncher
Hey Pando do you have the drive manefest for the next couple of days? which days will be driving and which ones limited due to uploading the auto drive pics?

Thanks

John Cooke.

on a side note, I too am from the UK, Leicester, and moved to the states in 2003, on wednesday I got my work permit and am now legal to work woohoo. well just thought I would share some personal good news.

John
Pando
QUOTE (Marslauncher @ Mar 18 2005, 04:08 PM)
Hey Pando do you have the drive manefest for the next couple of days? which days will be driving and which ones limited due to uploading the auto drive pics?

It's in the map. Looks like no drive on 409 and 411.

http://mer.rlproject.com/index.php?act=Att...pe=post&id=7019
ToSeek
QUOTE (Pando @ Mar 18 2005, 08:54 PM)
Speaking of dunes, those are just little baby ones in front of the rover right now. I think what starts showing up on the horizon now are some of the big monsters, each one a meter or more high and with 30 meters of wavelength . The rover will probably disappear completely between them.

In that case, they're going to have to make sure to park Opportunity on the right side of the dunes in order to have the solar arrays facing toward the Sun. Could be a little tricky.
alan
QUOTE (marswiggle @ Mar 18 2005, 08:39 PM)
QUOTE (ObsessedWithWorlds @ Mar 18 2005, 07:27 PM)
So could the two black features on the horizon (in the picture I posted) actually be Viking and Voyager, or something more close to the rover?  unsure.gif

That's my impression too. Either them, or dark spots/dunes/ground near them. Not the big one yet I guess.

It couldn't be Viking and Voyager. Its been visible for far to long, all the way back to Endurance.

It now appears nearly twice as large as it did at Endurance so Opportunity is about half way there.
Pando
Fascinating... If you look at the features seen by Oppy and the overhead view, the rim features appear to match. Alan, you may very well be right smile.gif
MahFL
Hey Marslauncher, welcome to the good old US of A. I sent you a pm.
CosmicRocker
Not only have the dune-forms been changing very perceptibly in recent sols, but so have the depths of Oppy's wheelprints in some areas.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...TAP1607L0M1.JPG

..and so has the the quantity of coarser lag deposits in the inter-dune areas.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...TAP2388L7M1.JPG

As these babies grow into potential monsters, the going is likely to get tougher. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that's the point Pando was making.

As I recall, we are moving "up-section" in the bedrock as we move south. If that's the case, we cannot ignore any outcrops discovered along the way. I still contend that if Opportunity makes it to the etched terrain, there will be so many obvious science targets to be had, that the big and bigger craters will fall off the plate.

But, we've got to get there, first...
paulanderson
Some larger bumps on the horizon now (sol 409)...

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P2663L5M1.JPG

wheel.gif
lyford
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Mar 18 2005, 11:15 PM)
Not only have the dune-forms been changing very perceptibly in recent sols, but so have the depths of Oppy's wheelprints in some areas.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...TAP1607L0M1.JPG

..........snip.............

As these babies grow into potential monsters, the going is likely to get tougher.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that's the point Pando was making.

Agreed, I think it would be rovercide to try to go over a big dune. Keeping Oppy as level as possible should help keep the displacement and slippage to a minimum. As Spirit's experience has shown, hitting deep sand at an angle has caused problems.

If they are driving as far as they have been, I think currently slippage must not be a problem at all. The fact that the tracks are are very crisp and detailed in the images confirms this, even though they are getting deeper.
Sunspot
I'm not entirely convinced the dunes are currently getting much bigger. The most recent batch of navcam images were taken quite late in the day, and the lower sun accentuates the dunes makeing them appear more prominent. But if you look at the hazcam images they are still only a few inches high. That may change as we get closer to the ethced terrain though. wink.gif
Tman
Presently I would say the "babies" are circa 25 to 30 centimeter high by comparison with the (max.) track width of 122 centimeter.

When I look the satellite images I'm also not sure whether at the beginning of the etched terrain (just by Viking) are big dunes with direction southwest to northeast or already bedrocks. In the "normal" southward direction seems to have the well known dunes. Around "Albert" it seems to have higher rock-like bedrocks. Those could we see on the horizon too.
GregM
GregM
alan
why bother?
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EFF0006R0M1.JPG
Redstone
Is this Viking (left) and Voyager (right), with Albert behind? The direction of the dunes, and the relative size and distance of the craters seem right.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu:16080/mars/opp...MGP2390R1M1.JPG
djellison
I think Viking and Voyager are almost Eagle-like in size - so I dont think that's them to be honest. There are a number of smaller craters en-route in the Argo scale

Doug
Redstone
I think Viking and Voyager are almost Eagle-like in size - so I dont think that's them to be honest. There are a number of smaller craters en-route in the Argo scale

Do you think Viking and Voyager haven't been resolved yet? I've attached a picture showing what I think the pancam image shows. I'm assuming the picture was taken at the Sol 410-11 location that Pando marked on his latest map. If the extended features on the horizon are Albert, then it's hard to see what else the two smaller, nearer features could be apart from V and V. huh.gif

Still, there's a lot of WAG work in this analysis. So I'm not putting any money on it! smile.gif
gregp1962
It would be exciting IF we actually are that close. I don't think we are though.
djellison
If they ARE V'n'V then we're about 50m away - and have covered hundreds and hundreds of metres in the past 3 odd sols

Doug
alan
I'm with redstone on this, the size and spacing and direction with respect to albert is right. Looking back at previous images they were visible on 408 and 407(barely) It appears that oppy covered 20% of the distance toward them on sol 410.
dot.dk
Also Pancam images seems to magnify things more than navcam smile.gif
Redstone
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Mar 21 2005, 10:08 PM)
Also Pancam images seems to magnify things more than navcam  smile.gif

Right. smile.gif

Here's the navcam image from the same location looking towards Albert.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu:16080/mars/opp...MGP0703L0M1.JPG

Pretty hard to spot V and V. wink.gif
alan
Judging from the size of albert in the pancam images (424 pixels vs 371 pixels) Opportunity appears to be past Pandos predicted location. Possible record drive?
Pando
If Oppy had a 15-meter high camera mast, this is what it would probably see from estimated current position. Looks like the craters in the image Redstone posted are likely the twin craters Viking and Voyager.
ilbasso
So they really must have driven a heck of a long way over the weekend!

Thinking again about the great fortune we had in Oppy landing where it did. Can you imagine if they had landed here, and had to wait weeks/months for the MGS to find out where they were? Which direction would you have headed from the data you had available just from the local shots? Anything would have seemed like a crapshoot. The bumps on the horizon are just about as far away as the 'warranteed' drive capability for the rover. We might have feared we would never see anything but sand. I guess we would have found blueberries but wondered where they came from, unless a random drive happened to take us near a piece of outcrop.

Go, Oppy, go!
Sunspot
Yikes...here's the first sign that the dunes might present a problem for Opportunity:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...Y2P1969L0M1.JPG
mhoward
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Mar 22 2005, 06:12 PM)
Yikes...here's the first sign that the dunes might present a problem for Opportunity:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...Y2P1969L0M1.JPG

Well maybe, but I'm guessing right now this is more a quirk of the autonavigation system. Time will tell... these rovers have done some amazing things. Can you believe little Oppy climbed all the way up to Burns Cliff? I look at the distance shots of Burns Cliff and find that more and more amazing.
Bill Harris

She did do a bit of a two-step on that near dune, no?

I'm sure that the Rover drivers/programmers will have to tweak the autonav software. Terrain like this is novel and she needs to get used to it.

--Bill
Tman
QUOTE (mhoward @ Mar 22 2005, 06:19 PM)
these rovers have done some amazing things. Can you believe little Oppy climbed all the way up to Burns Cliff? I look at the distance shots of Burns Cliff and find that more and more amazing.

As Oppy was at Burns Cliff I made a picture from JPL pan that shows how the scenery could look like:
Oppy at Burns Cliff

Would say rather bold. huh.gif

Could it be that the dunes get brider somewhat?
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...Y2P2391R1M1.JPG
MizarKey
QUOTE (Tman @ Mar 22 2005, 11:39 AM)
QUOTE (mhoward @ Mar 22 2005, 06:19 PM)
these rovers have done some amazing things. Can you believe little Oppy climbed all the way up to Burns Cliff? I look at the distance shots of Burns Cliff and find that more and more amazing.

As Oppy was at Burns Cliff I made a picture from JPL pan that shows how the scenery could look like:
Oppy at Burns Cliff

Wow, I love that image! I vote that the next rovers have little 'PR rovers' that ride shotgun and hop off every so often to take glam shots of the main rover doing it's thang.
Pando
QUOTE (Tman @ Mar 22 2005, 12:39 PM)
Oppy at Burns Cliff

blink.gif

Nice! smile.gif Looks pretty real. Now the only thing missing from that is the rover tracks/disturbed soil behind the rover... tongue.gif
Bill Harris
I vote that the next rovers have little 'PR rovers' that ride shotgun and hop off every so often to take glam shots of the main rover doing it's thang.

That may be do-able. With the deep-sea submersibles, ROVs (Remotely Operated Vehicles) are used where the sub can't go. A mini-Oppy on a tether has possibilities.

--Bill
djellison
I guess this is what made Sojourner so 'cute'. We could actually see it driving around with Justin Maki's 'rover movies'.

I so desperately want to see a 1 x 1 x 456 pancam image taken from about 10m away from Spirit - hell - even if it was just a pancam unit on a little platform that could be dropped by the rover, and a cable reeled out. Sadly - it would be of no scientific value and a waste of resources.

Who knows - perhaps one of the MSL's will land in Meridiani and might image Opportunity from afar. MRO might help a bit - a few colour pixels of rover will be nice.

One day - an astronaut - probable one of our children, will walk on mars and see Sojourner and Pathfinder - and perhaps bring Sojourner home.

Doug
lyford
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Mar 22 2005, 01:12 PM)
I vote that the next rovers have little 'PR rovers' that ride shotgun and hop off every so often to take glam shots of the main rover doing it's thang.

That may be do-able. With the deep-sea submersibles, ROVs (Remotely Operated Vehicles) are used where the sub can't go. A mini-Oppy on a tether has possibilities.

--Bill

Well, there's the Cliff Bot - no relation to the Cheers character.

And those jiggy rover tracks remind me of trying to cross railroad tracks on my motorcycle - maybe there's an angle of lean limit and Oppy is trying not to straddle the dunes.... keeps adjusting automatically. Doesn't look too scary thought....not deep enough yet.
erwan
Tman: thanks, your image is wonderful!
erwan
Lyford: many thanks, your image...!
lyford
QUOTE (erwan @ Mar 22 2005, 02:52 PM)
Lyford: many thanks, your image...!
....is wonderful? Of which do you speak? That one above is actually a failed cliffbot test, but I think the idea of a little retractable piggy back probe makes sense, especially if you want to investigate the Really Big Strata...

Back to Meridiani:

The more I look at Oppy's tracks, the more I notice how cohesive the ripples are:

Oppy rolls right over the crest at an angle and there is very little displacement, and the tracks are very crisp still. This is not like the sandy area that got Spirit in trouble. Even on the way down the steeper side, it seems to support the rover's weight without crumbling. Perhaps the "desert pavement" effect has really cemented these forms in place.

Perhaps the drivers were swiveling the wheels on purpose to test how supportive the ripples are?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.