Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dawn Survey Orbit Phase
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Other Missions > Cometary and Asteroid Missions > Dawn
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Syrinx
She will read this shortly. Anyway, you can email her - blog@planetary.org.
pablogm1024
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 9 2011, 04:02 AM) *
Nick: I tried Flickr and Picasa Web Albums without success. That's why I was asking if anyone knew of another site that accepted this kind of file.

Try Dropbox, it gives you 2GB with no size limit, public links and synchronization. I use it all the time.
ZLD
If it is a gif, imgur.com works quite well.
chuckclark
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Aug 8 2011, 12:33 PM) *
Hey Chuck, looks like you have a new place to apply your mapping technique!

Not quite yet. I still have to coax someone into fabricating an actual object I can work from.
The imagery should be fantastic.
elakdawalla
I'm always happy to host big stuff smile.gif Sorry, was taking a holiday at LEGOLand yesterday with the kid or I would have read this earlier! Just email it as Syrinx said.
tasp
LOL, my first thought was of your kidling making a model of Vesta with Legos.

Might be useful for chuckclark . . . .
t_oner
I can send the lego dat file if anyone is interested smile.gif
volcanopele
Here are my three attempts at making Vesta anaglyphs. The first two are from adjacent frames, while the third one skips a frame, with varying success. Without knowing the geometry of the images, these are more or less shots in the dark, but they do give you a hint at some of the topo features in the equatorial region.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
elakdawalla
QUOTE (Tayfun Öner @ Aug 9 2011, 10:48 AM) *
I can send the lego dat file if anyone is interested smile.gif

OK Tayfun, that is irresistible. Bring it on smile.gif
Guillermo Abramson
QUOTE (Adam Hurcewicz @ Aug 5 2011, 09:38 AM) *
Hi, I'm stich images into Spherical panorama. Only North is black.

Hi. I wrapped Adam's map around the standard Celestia model for Vesta, and the result is nice. I had some good time flying around. See a short movie here: http://youtu.be/qAkRunZl3eY.

(Adam: I tried to contact you to ask for permission. If you prefer, I will remove the video. It's not public now, only accessible through that url. Just let me know.)

Guillermo

--
Guillermo Abramson
http://guillermoabramson.blogspot.com
elakdawalla
OK, here's CosmicRocker's Vesta anaglyph animation:
http://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/misc/Ves...45_20110724.gif
t_oner
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 9 2011, 11:32 PM) *

Here is the lego dat file, it needs 13314 parts if built as a solid.
pablogm1024
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 10 2011, 04:34 AM) *
OK, here's CosmicRocker's Vesta anaglyph animation:
http://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/misc/Ves...45_20110724.gif

The result is amazing but, may I ask why is Vesta rotating backwards? And how about the axis? It has a strange behavior, it does not keep the north up nor the Y axis up.
I do not means this as a criticism, it is just that the cartography of Vesta is complicated enough without the help of any additional confusion. Would it be too much to re-work this in North-up orientation?
Regards,
pablogm
djellison
It has to be done with one 'eye' on the left and one on the right. The constraints of making an anaglyph conquer everything else.
pablogm1024
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 10 2011, 01:55 PM) *
It has to be done with one 'eye' on the left and one on the right. The constraints of making an anaglyph conquer everything else.

I see. Thanks for the explanation. See, that is the problem when the professionals of one thing mix with those of another thing: that they get smacked in the face (and well deserved). Does the direction of the rotation also have an impact on how anaglyphs are seen?
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (pablogm1024 @ Aug 10 2011, 08:10 AM) *
Does the direction of the rotation also have an impact on how anaglyphs are seen?

Yes because the left-right eye placement is sequential. For example the first image is composed of photo 1 in the left eye and photo 2 in the right eye. The second image is composed of photo 2 in the left eye and photo 3 in the right eye etc., etc.

(although I'm not convinced that a correct rotation direction anaglyph can't be created. I need to think about this.)

EDIT - it seems to work fine reversed (original rotation direction). Here's a reduced size version. I'll upload the larger one to my Picassa account in a few minutes
t_oner
Vesta model rotating. I tried to fix the equator according to the map published.
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (pablogm1024 @ Aug 10 2011, 03:05 AM) *
The result is amazing but, may I ask why is Vesta rotating backwards? And how about the axis? It has a strange behavior, it does not keep the north up nor the Y axis up. ...

Eegads! I didn't realize I had it rotating backwards. I simply loaded the images in the numerical order of the file names. That's easy to fix. As for the axis, it is as Doug and others have explained. I needed to rotate all the frames to keep the left and right image separation roughly horizontal, or parallel to the separation of our eyes.

I did't want to bother Emily with replacing the file on her server, so I uploaded the properly rotating animation to Dropbox.
john_s
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 10 2011, 12:07 PM) *
I needed to rotate all the frames to keep the left and right image separation roughly horizontal, or parallel to the separation of our eyes.

Not sure I get this- the "stereo separation" is due to Vesta's rotation about its axis between the left and right eye images, so shouldn't you get the best stereo when the two eyes are aligned perpendicular to the rotation axis, i.e., when the rotation axis is vertical in all images? Unlike when you're making stereo pairs from MER images, where the stereo separation direction is aligned with the edges of the images, the orientation of the image relative to the camera should be irrelevant.

John
ugordan
I would think that too, John. Although to be fair, this wasn't a simple rotation sequence - there was also spacecraft motion involved.
CosmicRocker
You're both correct. To do it perfectly I should have rotated all of the images individually so that the apparent rotational axis is perpendicular to the line through our eyes as they view it. The fact is, though, that you can get a decent stereo effect if the viewing geometry is approximately perpendicular. I was trying to simplify the job by rotating all of the images an equal amount en masse so they were all, on average, approximately perpendicular.

But, now that you guys have exposed my dirty little secret I suppose I should try to find the time do it properly by adjusting all of the frames individually.
john_s
No biggie- it's already spectacular, and I can always deal with the issue by tilting my head back and forth during the animation (so long as no-one's watching and wondering what the heck I'm doing...)

John
climber
Pablo, I've loved what you wrote here: http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00003136/
I'm glad about "the most potent and incontestable motive" you describe. You may have discovered this a few weeks ago, I'm sure you understand this is what drive us here in UNMSF...
Un saludo desde el otro lado de los Pirineos.
john_s
I love that too- in fact I've added it to the quotes page of my website.

John
pablogm1024
QUOTE (john_s @ Aug 11 2011, 04:27 PM) *
I love that too- in fact I've added it to the quotes page of my website.

John

Thanks, John. I am so flattered. Undoubtedly, I have taken a few literary "freedoms" from reality, just to better serve the purpose of communicating the thrill that I feel as member of the mission. I love it here!
t_oner
Vesta topography map.
charborob
I can't believe how fast the (still scarce) data about Vesta are being processed here. Pretty soon, someone will start making flyover movies. laugh.gif
Explorer1
Press release on Survey phase: http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/feature_stories/s...cting_orbit.asp

Includes an anaglyph (from July 24th) and a link on the JPL site to an 'image of the day', but goes to the press release. Hope it's a glitch...

Ah; something encouraging on the camera's Facebook page:

Today is the official start of the Survey phase. We are not in approach anymore. Thanks, mission team, for bringing us here. We promise to work on the delivery of our data with the same dedication that you have put into the journey. And thank you, dear followers, for being there. Your patience will soon be rewarded.
siravan
Have they exaggerated the vertical coordinate in making this anaglyph or is Vesta really that bumpy?
Guillermo Abramson
QUOTE (charborob @ Aug 11 2011, 03:32 PM) *
I can't believe how fast the (still scarce) data about Vesta are being processed here. Pretty soon, someone will start making flyover movies. laugh.gif

Oh, I already did one! I will do something more after dinner with Tayfun first model. See the old one here: http://youtu.be/qAkRunZl3eY (standard Celestia model for Vesta).

(It's not public, only accessible through that link because I used Adam Hurcewicz map found on this thread, and could not contact hime to ask for his authorization. Adam, is it OK if I make it public?)
Juramike
PIA14318 with Tayfun Oner's topography graphic (30 N to 30 S)

Click to view attachment

full resolution here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/6033398387/
charborob
QUOTE (Guillermo Abramson @ Aug 11 2011, 07:53 PM) *
Oh, I already did one! I will do something more after dinner with Tayfun first model. See the old one here: http://youtu.be/qAkRunZl3eY (standard Celestia model for Vesta).

I was thinking about a low altitude flyover.
Guillermo Abramson
QUOTE (charborob @ Aug 11 2011, 09:36 PM) *
I was thinking about a low altitude flyover.

You are completely right, Charborob, of course. With time, high resolution maps and topography will be fantastic. But I couldn't wait! So I adapted Tayfun's model and Adam's map to Celestia. It's nice to fly around. Two more videos to crudely show these preliminaries: video 1 video 2

dilo
Based on last press release, Dawn will stay in the Survey Orbit until end of month and then will shift to lower HAMO orbit, about 950km from Vesta centre:
chuckclark
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 9 2011, 04:32 PM) *

Emily -- If you succeed with the LEGO model, send it to me, I'll make a foldable map from it.

Chuck
ugordan
Nice work on the Celestia sim, Guillermo. Thanks.

QUOTE (Guillermo Abramson @ Aug 12 2011, 05:11 AM) *
Two more videos to crudely show these preliminaries: video 1 video 2

These two are listed as private (instead of I guess unlisted) so I can't open them.
Guillermo Abramson
QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 12 2011, 09:06 AM) *
These two are listed as private (instead of I guess unlisted) so I can't open them.

Right. Sorry. Just changed to unlisted. Thanks, Gordan.
Paolo
new picture and new Dawn journal
Explorer1
Looks like they're transitioning to an image of the day, weekdays, MESSENGER-style.
JohnVV
Tayfun Öner
nice false color map is there any chance of a 16bit singed or unsigned LSB image
to replaces the older shape model from phil ( 73x36 px)
Click to view attachment
elakdawalla
QUOTE (Tayfun Öner @ Aug 9 2011, 10:58 PM) *
Here is the lego dat file, it needs 13314 parts if built as a solid.

Hmm...that number is only accurate if you build it entirely with 1x1 plates, which wouldn't even hold together blink.gif I'm working now in Ldraw to simplify that to a hopefully manageable (and structurally sound) smaller number! Assuming that number averages around the size of a 2x2 brick, it should take roughly 1000 pieces....
t_oner
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 13 2011, 05:34 AM) *
it should take roughly 1000 pieces....

Wov, are you really serious about building it?
t_oner
QUOTE (JohnVV @ Aug 13 2011, 04:14 AM) *
is there any chance of a 16bit singed or unsigned LSB image

I am not sure we should go that far without knowing the imaging geometry.
elakdawalla
QUOTE (Tayfun Öner @ Aug 12 2011, 10:23 PM) *
Wov, are you really serious about building it?

Does this answer your question? smile.gif
Click to view attachment
You posted that .dat file the day after I took my daughter to LEGOLand and was beginning to dig my huge collection out of my storage closet for her and me to begin to play with together. It was Fate!
john_s
Time to order those special eucrite-colored and diogenite-colored bricks!
t_oner
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 13 2011, 05:40 PM) *
Does this answer your question? smile.gif

I don't believe it! smile.gif Please keep us posted about your progress.
Oersted
Legoland should be pretty interested in hanging that model somwhere... - Maybe they can even make a financial contribution.. smile.gif

(Spoken as a Dane!) wink.gif
ilbasso
It sure says a lot about the meager trickle of data coming out that we have an active mission in orbit around an asteroid, and most of the posts for the past several days have been about building a Lego model. Even NEAR put out more regular observations nearly 11 years ago.
Paolo
ladies and gentlemen: the Snowman!
t_oner
I don't have red-blue glasses with me, so I could not check it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.