Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Start of the Drive East
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
fredk
I think there are a number of reasons to start a new thread. Squyres has confirmed we have turned east. We've passed the solstice and sunlight is now improving. Also we should be past the worst of the dunes now.

And, we've finally gotten new pics down! biggrin.gif And for the first time I can recall, the jpl site has beaten exploratorium! Here are the lookbacks after the 2252 and 2254 drives:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...KCP1795R0M1.JPG
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...NDP1777R0M1.JPG
For those who don't know, the jpl site is one sol out of synch. You should add one sol to those numbers (2252 and 2254) to get the actual sols.

There was a new drive on sol 2256:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...Q8P1212R0M1.JPG
Phil Stooke
Thanks, Fred!

Phil
MarkG
In regards to the discussion in the previous thread concerning the "geo"morphology of the benches around the Endeavour crater rim hills, this is one case where many possible explanations will be resolved [maybe] by the ground-truth of rover examination.
My personal working idea is that there were periods characterized by seasonal ice cover, which would be sometimes mobilized by bottom-ice-surface melting/brine-ing, which led to the ramp erosion seen in Victoria. On a larger scale, that could lead to some features seen on the Endeavour rim, which have some glacial-looking aspects (thinner ice, in the scenario I'm thinking of). They could be evaporite or wave benches, too, but the situation remains murky (and mostly below freezing, too).
We will also be descending from the rise we have been traveling on into darker-looking stuff, which may be the darker sediments seen a few feet down the the craters examined. One wonders if the pavement will be quantitatively different there.
Looking forward to the unknown...
Tesheiner
QUOTE (fredk @ Jun 1 2010, 06:36 PM) *

I'm waiting for the navcam mosaic from this same site to update the map... Meanwhile, say that based on the ripples' direction that was a SE drive, at least on it's latest portion.
Astro0
Phil's 1km annotated map on the 'distant vistas' thread and Tesh's route map, make for a nice combined view of the rest of Opportunity's journey to the East (east-south-east-ish).
Click to view attachment

So close and yet, still so far away. Go Oppy!
nprev
blink.gif ...beautiful, yet sobering!
DFinfrock
We now know the naming convention to be used on Endeavour:

"Well, Endeavour was one of James Cook's ships, so the places along the rim of Endeavour will be named after places discovered and explored by James Cook on his Endeavour expedition," he informed. And the spot where Opportunity will make first 'landfall' will receive one of those names, he added. A quick review of historical accounts indicates that Opportunity on arrival, and perhaps even as she gets nearer to her destination, will explore locations and targets nicknamed Tahiti, Huahine, Borabora, Raiatea, Sydney Cove, Botany Bay or Saint Helena. Time will tell."

Let's put Botany Bay in reserve... until such time as Oppy actually discovers Martian botany. rolleyes.gif
walfy
A few maps on Oppy's present distance from "landfall," using references closer to home. Present location of rover is roughly in the upper-right corner. I used Phil's 1 km annotated map, the grid of which is partially visible on the path. This will be one historic push. Go Oppy!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here's reference familiar to some...!

Click to view attachment
nprev
Hey, really useful context, Walfy, thanks! smile.gif
Stu
QUOTE (walfy @ Jun 3 2010, 05:40 AM) *
A few maps on Oppy's present distance from "landfall," using references closer to home.

You, Sir, are a genius! Thanks for those, really useful. I might have a couple of requests for you later... wink.gif
nprev
Thought somehow you might, Stu. wink.gif This is a brilliant idea for outreach!
Stu
QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 3 2010, 06:50 AM) *
Thought somehow you might, Stu. wink.gif This is a brilliant idea for outreach!

...and a brilliant and perfect addition to our August 14th Solar System Scale Model...! laugh.gif
Explorer1
I can't recognize that last one walfy; where is that?

Still a good idea, as long as they have a label!
walfy
[quote name='walfy' date='Jun 2 2010, 08:40 PM' post='160468']
A few maps on Oppy's present distance from "landfall," using references closer to home. Present location of rover is roughly in the upper-right corner. I used Phil's 1 km annotated map, the grid of which is partially visible on the path. This will be one historic push. Go Oppy!

Oops! I should have written "upper-left corner" for the present location of the rover on those reference maps. The last mystery location is Oppy's birthplace – at least where she was assembled, and where the drivers do their driving, I'm assuming, could be wrong. Namely, JPL.

Explorer1
Yes, I had the feeling it would be JPL, thanks for confirming it!

Keep on trucking Oppy...
Oersted
Walfy, thx for those pictures, it is a very good idea, previously used to show the scale of the various craters we have visited.

And as to the new heading.... "Go East, old woman!"

- Mars IS different smile.gif
elakdawalla
All posts dealing with the possible problem that showed up with the PMA actuator on sol 2257 have been split to a new topic. Let's keep this one for the driving!
HughFromAlice
Navs from 2255 - bit hard to get even brightness/decent colour etc. But good to have a bit of spare time, have fun on my new Dell M6500 laptop + try out Corel5 Photopaint + start posting again smile.gif ! Might get round to posting full size image on Flikr.

See reposted pic as just below................
ngunn
Nice, but I think that 'new' mountain on the left is an art-effect. wink.gif Looking at the raw you used I can just about see where it came from. Here's the view from the other camera though, and there's no sign of it:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...DP1777R0M2.HTML
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (ngunn @ Jun 7 2010, 12:13 AM) *
'new' mountain on the left is an art-effect. wink.gif

Oh no! I thought that I had discovered a new mountain and was going to ask it be named Mount Alice after my home town!!!! I have digitally blasted it off the face of Mars and reposted a v2 without artifact ph34r.gif

Click to view attachment
briv1016
2270 looks like a driving sol.
Tesheiner
Yup, and including an east pointing navcam mosaic at end-of-drive.
Tesheiner
Tosol's drive has already finished and there's already some data at the tracking web telling that 70m were covered in an almost due east heading.
Besides, the pointing info associated to the "post-drive" navcam mosaic tells the PMA is behaving well.

All good space news today. smile.gif
Tesheiner
A few thumbnails from yestersol's drive.
Navcam:
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

FHazcam:
Click to view attachment
BrianL
I'm a bit surprised at how ripple-y it still looks, believe it or not. (Sorry) smile.gif

kenny
The maps shows it's just a short section of low dunes, then we're on linked pavements....
lyford
QUOTE (BrianL @ Jun 14 2010, 03:35 PM) *
I'm a bit surprised at how ripple-y it still looks, believe it or not. (Sorry) smile.gif

Thank you for keeping alive the punmanned spaceflight legacy! biggrin.gif
nprev
Painful. biggrin.gif
fredk
New pics are finally at the jpl site. It's nice having Endeavour in our drive-direction sights:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...FVP2446R1M1.JPG
elakdawalla
Endeavour in the drive-direction sights...now THAT will make for an especially awesome approach movie!
Stu
Thank **** for that; I've been having serious withdrawl symptoms... laugh.gif
BrianL
Haven't we all. Exploratorium: it's a good thing. Cobbles ahead, but we'll have to approach slowly. Mars has put up speed bumps. laugh.gif

Aah, so good to be moving again, seeing pictures again. I am so addicted to MERs. Makes me wonder what I'll do when... if... no, I won't go there.
Poolio
Tim Parker's latest map update shows that another 70m or so was achieved heading due east on sol 2272.
Tesheiner
Oh, I missed that drive. I'll update mine later on.
MahFL
Is Oppy going slightly uphill ?
fredk
Why do you ask? We should be going very slightly downhill now since we crested the ridge a while back.
Ant103
Sol 2271 drive direction in color

... showing unusal details on the hill of the right blink.gif
ElkGroveDan
Ant's panorama shows the high crater on the SE slope of Endeavor that I've been watching for. It's also an indication of just how clear the skies must be. That crater is about 32 km away!

(the scale is probably off a bit in this comparison)
Drkskywxlt
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 16 2010, 10:19 AM) *
Ant's panorama shows the high crater on the SE slope of Endeavor that I've been watching for. It's also an indication of just how clear the skies must be. That crater is about 32 km away!

(the scale is probably off a bit in this comparison)

Is that the circular feature on the tall hill on the right side of the panorama? Do you know that's a crater from the orbital imagery?
ElkGroveDan
Yes and yes.
HughFromAlice
Quick stitch and colour of Nav Cams from Sol 2270 - stayed up a bit later than I meant!!! Doing this is too absorbing!

Probably worth doing a better job on it so I may repost if I get the time - work is very busy.

Anyway hope it gives you guys some enjoyment.

Click to view attachment
Ant103
Sol 2272
Steve Holtam
Awesome image Ant! Looks like smooth roving to me. Go Oppy!
Tesheiner
Actually, that site is right now (late sol 2274) 60m to the west. smile.gif
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Robert S
More driving from what I can read on http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/mission/status.html#opportunity.

Go oppy! =)
Tesheiner
Actually, it's several sols in the past.
The latest info on this subject has been tweeted by Scott Maxwell: Yesterday's uplink did not make it onboard. We're not sure why it happened this time, but it does happen. Today: repeat yesterday's drive. AFAIK, it means no drive on sol 2275 (i.e. right now) but on sol 2276.
Ant103
Sol 2272

Still have a very good transparency smile.gif.
Ant103
Sol 2274 navcam. The sky is to be particulary in a good transparency.
Tman
Yes, fine weather currently, also the shadows are so dark.

On the MER website we've got now a nice east corridor http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tm-...nity/index.html
fredk
The latest images include multispectral pancams of this area:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...00P2555R1M1.JPG
Potential meteorite, roughly centred, one quarter down from top of frame?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.