Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Start of the Drive East
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Tesheiner
Here's the navcam mosaic taken after today's 35m drive.
Click to view attachment
PDP8E
Here is a image I thought was pretty nice.
Opportunity took this an hour and 23 minutes before local sunset on Sol 2330
I adjusted the contrast ...
Click to view attachment

eoincampbell
That lovely shot put this tune in my head smile.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfoLMa8bET4
Tesheiner
Here's the navcam mosaic from sol 2334 and looking at Scott Maxwell's tweet I guess we are heading to the dark feature (cobble field?) at the middle of the picture.

> Our drive-extension trick continues performing well: an extra 11m yestersol. Nextersol's target is only 50m away, so no extension this time.

Click to view attachment
PDP8E
Here is the end of drive image on Sol 2334 (today Aug 18, 2010) from the backward looking hazcam (the front of our rover driving in reverse). It didn't look promising but a little 'rinse cycle' pulls a lot of hidden information out of the image.
Local sunset is an hour and 15 minutes away, and the sun flare near the horizon kills the contrast in the original.
Click to view attachment
...what a journey!

Tesheiner
Here's today's navcam mosaic. Back on solid rock.
Click to view attachment
Stu
Solid, and more than a little mussed-up... smile.gif

Click to view attachment
nprev
That is interesting. (Great anaglyph, Stu!) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've seen such pronounced "micro-duning" around the paving stones anywhere else before now.

Makes me wonder if this is a comparatively windy little area due to local topography somehow as we approach the crater. That's an unfounded WAG, of course...but this looks a little different than the norm.
Stu
This does look like an interesting place...

Click to view attachment

And a 3D self-portrait... kind of... ish... smile.gif

http://twitpic.com/2gi9uy
Tesheiner
I have the feeling we will stop here for more than the weekend...
And perhaps it may be time to open a new thread; the "start of the drive east" was a quite time ago. Let's wait and see.

Edit: forgot to say, this place (see Stu's pic. above) has been named "Cambridge Bay".
Bobby
Since we have left Victoria Crater. How many Scientific Stops have we made???

I know we are over due for one again and we might do one at our current location?

djellison
And again Bobby - that's a question you could easily answer yourself just looking at Eduardo's maps. There's nowhere that has that answer, someone will have to work it out, and you just volunteered smile.gif
marsophile
QUOTE (Bobby @ Aug 20 2010, 12:22 PM) *
.. Scientific Stops ...we might do one at our current location?

http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/mission/status_...ll.html#sol2314

The plan apparently is to routinely do Science stops every kilometer or so. Of course, there may be extra ones where there is special scientific interest.
climber
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 20 2010, 07:59 PM) *
"Cambridge Bay".

Since Doug's driving now, he deserves to get a place named for him biggrin.gif

djellison
Cambridge....pah...never lived there. UMSF's high altitude balloon payload did launch from there though.
nprev
From what I gather, we should be very wary if we encounter a site named "Milton Keynes"... laugh.gif

Actually, what is the naming convention right now? Are we sure if this refers to Cambridge, UK or Cambridge, MA, or neither?
Explorer1
Since it's Cambridge Bay, it can only refer to the settlement on Victoria Island, Nunavut (a Canadian province). (Some info here)
The theme seems to be Arctic exploration so far, along with Pond Inlet before.
PDP8E
Oppy looked down at the pavement of Cambridge Bay today and saw this:
Click to view attachment
The colors are more 'adjusted' as they are approximate ... (oh well)
Any one of these look down images could have been a whole mission for other probes (Beagle, Mars3, Polar Explorer, and others). We will never be at this place again for a long long time. So, Oppy, look down sometimes at the end the day and show us where you are and what you see. A small and unique corner of Mars. We will figure it all out later.
alan
I wonder if there are any of those wavy features ( I forget what the word was, something with an 'F' ) they were so fascinated by in Eagle Crater.
CosmicRocker
We can see from Tesheiner's route map (especially the kml version) that Opportunity is now parked directly west of a NE/SW-trending linear feature visible in the Hirise imagery. It seems to be one of several in the area that appear to break up the bedrock surface into a number of polygonal blocks. The linear feature in front of Oppy appears as a small escarpment or step in the bedrock. You can see it in Eduardo's recent navcam panorama, but it is very apparent in the navcam anaglyphs from sol 2235 like the one below which was automatically generated by Midnight Mars Browser.
Click to view attachment
Stu's and PDP8's recent color pancams fall near the center of this navcam.

Alan: The f-word you are thinking of is "festoons."
Bill Harris
And notice the interesting weathering along the fracture just above center on this composite.

--Bill
mhoward
I guess we might be here for a short while.
Stu
Looks nice in colour...

Click to view attachment
RokitSiNTst
How about,
Click to view attachment
Comparison of Sol 2335 view with 2336...
Oersted
I hope Nautilus and Capt. Anderson will feature in the naming series dedicated to Arctic Exploration.
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Aug 21 2010, 03:20 AM) *
And notice the interesting weathering along the fracture just above center on this composite. ...
Thanks for putting that together for us, Bill. False color doesn't lie. wink.gif It looks as if a bunch of MIs should be coming down tosol. Surely they will image that zone of alteration.
Bill Harris
She's still struggling to make contact with the relay satellite and has made a LOT of partial transmissions. But there have been a couple of images to make it down down:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...OYP2936M2M8.JPG

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...OYP2936M2MC.JPG

They're adjacent images, although not in the sharpest focus.

My initial impression? Tufa. Look at the porous, fiberous nature of the layered stuff.

We'll just need to be patient.

--Bill

EDIT-- pieced together a quick mosaic of those two images:
monty python
The latest oppy status update from http://marsrovers.nasa.gov .

The rover has done an MI and APXS of 2 targets; "Clarin Beach" and "Duero Beach".
The odd partial repeat pictures from sol 2239 are I think due to a routine test of the Mars Express relay they did.

I would look up some details of those beach names but it's 3 AM and I'm out of beer. Hope you understand.

Brian
monty python
Clarin and Duero beaches are nice white sand beaches in the Philippenes. That's all I can come up with.

Brian

Edit: Clarin and Duero beaches are on Bohol Island - one of the first places visited by the Magellan expedition. History says they did not recieve a friendly welcome and the ship Concepcion was burned here.
Bill Harris
Still struggling with the relay satellite, but at least we have MI mosaics for three spots at the Cambridge site. The exact coverage may change as we get more MIs, but these locations are reasonably close.

--Bill
djellison
Bill - you're jumping to a false conclusion in saying the UHF relay is being problematic right now. There have always been dropouts, there will always be dropouts. I think you're seing multiple consecutive versions of the same image, and thinking it's a swathe of images with different drop outs.

here - http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...nity_m2340.html - for example - one could be forgiven that it was a sequence of 30 MI images, most with dropouts.

It's actually ( if you check the time stamp of the images ) many many iterated versions of only 4 actual images taken.
CosmicRocker
Thanks for making that index map, Bill.

I've taken the available MIs and assembled them with Autostitch. On sol 2340 the target named Clarin Beach was imaged. It is the bottom target in Bill's map.
Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
On sol 2341 the target named Duero Beach was imaged with the microscopic imager. This is the top target in Bill's map. Some partial faces, edges, and corners of cubic crystals of a mineral (perhaps halite?) are visible in this rock. They are most apparent near the center of this mosaic.
Click to view attachment

edit: Please note that MIs normally appear upside down compared to the same area imaged by pancams, navcams, and hazcams. These images will need to be rotated 180 degrees to match the orientation of Bill's pancam image.
Bill Harris
Very good, Tom. Your four image mosiac of Clarin Beach is the same area as my quick initial mosaic of the two images in Post#377.

The upper target, Duero Beach, is interesting. My initial impression was "vuggy", but you're right-- it's more coarsely crystalline. I hope that they image the resistant ledge just above Clarin, too.

Interesting area, interesting changes. We've dropped a few meters in elevation and appear to be going down in-section. Nice changes seen on the Hirise images ahead...

Something I do as a matter of course, which might be a little confusing, is to invert the rover's MIs from their native "inverted view" so that their orientation matches that of the Nav-, Haz- and PanCams.

--Bill
CosmicRocker
I, too, saw what looked like the narrow voids they called vugs in the rocks from Eagle Crater. This is an interesting site with rather dramatic changes in the rock over relatively short distances across that "fracture zone." The latest MIs to come down image a curiously porous rock; one of the more porous Meridiani rocks we have seen.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...OYP2956M2M1.JPG

To me, it looks like secondary porosity...porosity formed by the selective removal/dissolution of preexisting material. I hope we see that resistant ledge next.
Astro0
While Oppy continues to gaze at the ground, I thought it'd be nice to look around.
One of her many postcards from Mars. smile.gif Sol 2333
Click to view attachment
Bill Harris
QUOTE (CR)
The latest MIs to come down image a curiously porous rock; one of the more porous Meridiani rocks we have seen.
"Vuggy" was the first word that came to mind, but yes, "curiously porous" does describe better. As you note, similar to the outcrop in Eagle Crater.

I've been keeping track of the guesstimated elevation of the traverse, and at this point we are at approximately the elevation of Eagle Crater. And we've just come down from areas with the finely-bedded rocks and the sandstone-sans-blueberries, so the stratigraphy is matching up, if you assume "essentially flat-lying" on the geo-chron (or -whatever), which is not unreasonable. I'm looking forward to the results of the "APX-scratchplate"...

What is exciting is that now we are headed downhill (topographically) and also down section-wise which means we are headed into zones new and not seen before. We have 80 meters of elevation to the bottom of the slope and perhaps that much in section to look at. Looking ahead at the HiRise we can see some profound changes in the overall appearance of the bedrock underfoot.

--Bill
Egon

Sorry, Astro0, I couldn't resist the temptation... laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
Bobby
The Train = Rabbit
Opportunity = The Turtle

Opportunity Wins This Race wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Tesheiner
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

The train to Endeavour is coming! With stops at Cambridge Bay and Santa Maria.

The "science stop" has just finished so I think it's time to continue with a new thread: From Cambridge Bay to the "parking lot". However, discussions and/or pictures about Cambridge Bay should still be posted on this one.
Robert S
LOL @ Egon! Haha, nice train! =)
Bill Harris
QUOTE (CR)
This is an interesting site with rather dramatic changes in the rock over relatively short distances across that "fracture zone." The latest MIs to come down image a curiously porous rock; one of the more porous Meridiani rocks we have seen.

Yes, from the recent Rover update from the PS, it looks like the MER Team finds it as interesting as we have:
At Cambridge Bay, Opportunity has been homing in on a purple colored stratum sandwiched between buff colored strata, Arvidson said. It is intriguing because it may be an altered horizon or a different facies within the sedimentary rocks, he elaborated yesterday.

http://www.planetary.org/news/2010/0831_Ma...ate_Spirit.html

And they have been making stops looking for facies changes before we drop onto the new part of the section.

As I said, this is getting to be exciting...

--Bill

PS-- a new L257 of a weathering zone at Cambridge, Sol 2336 (added 5 Sept)
Tesheiner
I was wondering if someone would post the whole mosaic of Cambridge Bay here and just found that Horton did that on the "other forum". It's a 6x1 L257 pancam mosaic.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hortonheardawho/4968004842/
jamescanvin
I was just working on it. smile.gif

Both images link to the same page.

James
Astro0
A whole bunch of posts moved to the Cambridge Bay to Parking Lot thread.

REMINDER: Unless your post pertains to the drive from the START OF THE TURN EAST and then UP TO THE STOP AT CAMBRIDGE BAY, then you should be posting in the Bay to Parking Lot thread. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.