Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rosetta flyby of Asteroid Lutetia
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Other Missions > Cometary and Asteroid Missions > Rosetta
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
cassioli
QUOTE (cndwrld @ Jul 26 2010, 11:17 AM) *
FYI, I checked with the science team, and there will not be any more images released from the flyby until after the initial results are presented at a conference in September.

have Steins "further images" ever been released after first ones? huh.gif
IM4
I am watching Exploration of Near Earth Objects (NEO) Objectives Workshop webcast now. While giviing a talk about ESA activity in this field, M.Coradini presented some latest results from Lutetia flyby. See the screenshot I've made.
cndwrld
QUOTE (cassioli @ Jul 27 2010, 11:36 AM) *
have Steins "further images" ever been released after first ones? huh.gif

No, afraid not.
cassioli
QUOTE (cndwrld @ Aug 11 2010, 04:54 PM) *
No, afraid not.

so I think it's over with images for Lutetia too. mad.gif
cotopaxi
A few points to recently raised topics:

1) No NAVCAM images of the Lutetia flyby were downlinked (except for navigation images with the Asteroid as a point source).
2) While I don't know the image release plans after EPSC, all images (Steins and Lutetia) will be archived by PSA and PDS at some point. For Steins, the process is quite advanced as far as I can tell (no, I don't know the publication date).
3) The mass of Lutetia has been accurately determined from the flyby. Densities I have heard talking about are between 2.5 and slightly above 3. A better determination is awaiting an improved volume estimate.
djellison
QUOTE (cotopaxi @ Aug 20 2010, 08:54 AM) *
2) While I don't know the image release plans after EPSC, all images (Steins and Lutetia) will be archived by PSA and PDS at some point.

Given that OSIRIS has not archived a single thing to the PSA since launch more than 6 years ago - I will not be holding my breath.

I just hope the engineers on the Rosetta team can start dispatching the 6.5 year of Navcam imagery into the PSA or elsewhere to give space enthusiasts of European origin something to be as proud of as we can be as proud of VMC on MEX.

cotopaxi
Well, while the process is indeed slow, images are not archived one by one. Most data sets are there, and time is spent on negotiations how to have them meet the PSA and PDS standards. Scientific data sets as the asteroid flybys additionally go through a scientific review. Once all is done, much of the mission data can be released simultaneously.

NAVCAM data are foreseen to be archived in PSA at some point, but it´s a low priority (the NAVCAMs are no science instruments).

Stu
ESA's making good progress re image release, but seriously, aaaggghhhh!!!!!! Stop faffing and fannying about, ESA, bite the bullet and follow the MER/CASSINI example and post raw images asap, for the world to see and enjoy, and for people like our very own Image Mages to get stuck into make beautiful images from.

Ees seemples! (eek!)
CAP-Team
Maybe they are afraid that we can make better pictures out of the raw images than they can rolleyes.gif
ugordan
Well, any picture is better than no picture so in a way that fear is justified... rolleyes.gif
Paolo
a paper presented at the AGU fall meeting: Detection of Water in the Exosphere of (21) Lutetia
as one of the papers on Stardust results puts it: “the distinction between comets and asteroids is, in many cases, simply a matter of aging (loss of volatiles) and orbital parameters”
Phil Stooke
Names for features on Lutetia:

http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/images/L...earfeatures.pdf

More information here:

http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/Page/LUTETIA/target
(some names are not shown on that image)

Phil
Phil Stooke
Using just that crater name information I have made a VERY preliminary map of Lutetia in cylindrical projection, mainly to get an idea of what a map might look like. Here are the steps involved, in two illustrations.

Click to view attachment

A: plot the crater locations on a polar grid.
B: use A to estimate locations of grid lines (0, 30, 60 N, 0, 90, 180, 270 long.) on the image with crater names.
C: use that grid to estimate (VERY crudely) where grid lines might lie on other images.

Click to view attachment

top: roughly reproject the image to fit the grid (only using the transformations in Photoshop)
bottom: use polar coordinates distortion to reproject that to cylindrical, and add a few extensions south of the equator.

Very crude, but it gives an idea of image coverage and coordinates. Within a year we will probably have a published map which can be used as control for a precise mosaic.

Phil
Holder of the Two Leashes
Edited

There was also an article published at a popular web site stating that Lutetia still has a molten core. This is not true. The core solidified long ago.
cotopaxi
New publication:
Vernazza et al., Asteroid (21) Lutetia as a remnant of Earth’s precursor planetesimals, Icarus 216, 650-659.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/artic...019103511003848
machi
As Emily pointed in her twitter, data from Lutetia flyby are now available.
Here is folder for NAC calibrated images.
And Here is folder for WAC calibrated images.
NAVCAM images are available too, but shape of Lutetia is only barely recognizable in best of them.
This is little sample, "raw" image of Lutetia from distance 4008 km (converted by img2png and improved by enhancing local contrasts):
Ian R
And here's a flyby video:

http://youtu.be/NQgXWK5Jxhs?hd=1
Paolo
QUOTE (Ian R @ Apr 7 2012, 05:39 PM) *
And here's a flyby video:

awesome! thanks for sharing!
machi
Excellent!
I'm now burning DVD with Lutetia flyby images, and I had few MB of free space, so I added your animation to this collection. smile.gif
elakdawalla
I have been awaiting a nice color image of Lutetia before updating my asteroids-and-comets montage to make a color version / poster. Looking forward to what you guys produce! smile.gif

Ian, your video is terrific!
machi
I did some color images and stereograms of Lutetia from published raw images:

tedstryk
Daniel, Ian, wow. All I can say is wow.
Stefan
QUOTE (machi @ Apr 10 2012, 03:21 PM) *
I did some color images and stereograms of Lutetia from published raw images:

Hi machi, great job! But Jean Baptiste is correct: that image should to be flipped to get what our eye would see. Like this one:
Click to view attachment
machi
Stefan:

I flipped images according to documents in ESA's archive, but I suppose, that you are right. Maps of Lutetia are based on your orientation, but I realised this after my blog post.
Still, then I prefer more this orientation:

EDIT:I changed orientation of all images in my blog post, so now they aren't from mirror universe. smile.gif
Thanks for notice!
Ian R
I've decided to re-process the flyby animation using calibrated images, adjusted to remove the 'flickering' caused by the multi spectral nature of the dataset:

http://youtu.be/KFIMqE-LS1I?hd=1
dilo
Now is perfect, Ian!
Stu
QUOTE (dilo @ Apr 18 2012, 06:12 AM) *
Now is perfect, Ian!

I'll second that. Very impressive Ian, like peering out of a spaceship window as you fly by...
stevesliva
http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/in...fobjectid=50394
ESA made a flyby movie of it's own, it would appear.

Lots of other good stuff in the text.
Explorer1
Grooves strongly hinting at a large crater on the unimaged night side. Implications for the Phobos grooves here?

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Sc...s_hidden_crater
Paolo
the paper "Lutetia's lineaments" on which this press release is based is available here
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.