Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Zvezdichko

This is probably the thermal confirmation, I think
deefatman
I didn't see anything either
nprev
I didn't see anything...
but the R/T lithobraking was cool!

Dim flash suggests soil impact rather than rocks...good news!
Hungry4info
I never saw an impact flash (at least one that I recognized as such).
Is what we saw the best quality LCROSS images?
MahFL
I saw NOTHING !!!!, thats my story and I am sticking to it.
nprev
NASA TV showing the IR now. There's a hotspot, all right.
ElkGroveDan
I'm going back to bed. You kids woke me up for this?
Zvezdichko

Is this the hot spot anyway?
deglr6328
I think that's just a sunlit crater rim nprev. Zvez, that mid-IR image is just mostly noise from excessively high gain after the last sunlit hotspots went out of frame.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Zvezdichko @ Oct 9 2009, 06:44 AM) *
Is this the hot spot anyway?

Looks like the hot, sunlit peak of a crater rim.
tanjent
One of the commentators identified that hotspot as sunshine hitting the crater rim. I thought it looked like an impact site myself - perhaps there is some confusion about that.
ToSeek
QUOTE (Decepticon @ Oct 9 2009, 04:34 AM) *
Every time I see the impact story on the news, the media tends to over play the impact.

Yeah, the CNN caption was "NASA Attacks the Moon."
Elias
QUOTE (tanjent @ Oct 9 2009, 01:47 PM) *
One of the commentators identified that hotspot as sunshine hitting the crater rim. I thought it looked like an impact site myself - perhaps there is some confusion about that.

That hotspot was visible before the impact - I think its just the crater rim
NGC3314
Some of us were doing an image sequence with a 0.9m telescope in Arizona, with the moon nearly at zenith. Nothing obvious in Cabaeus as we watched the data come in. I'm turning around now to try aligning and differencing the image to see whether we can tease out a more subtle plume signature.

Edit 40 minutes later - difference imaging shows no plume detection within limits from telescope shake and seeing (which can be improved but not in real time). That makes sense if the SSC only saw a subtle signature.
stewjack
10 a.m. - LCROSS Post-Impact News Conference - AMES (Public and Media Channels)

10 AM Eastern Time
7 AM Pacific
14:00 GMT/UTC I think

Jack
Doc
I too failed to see anything. You should have heard my brother, 'Well, where is it?' mad.gif
deglr6328
oh well, that was anticlimactic. As it's going to be hours at least before other images are released and with the news channels in full mediagasm mode over the prez' Nobel, I really don't expect any data until next week. g'nite!
nprev
I'm already dreading the headlines: "NASA Moon Bomb A Dud", etc. ad nauseum. Sure hope the science was a success; have to find out after work. G'night/G'morning everyone.
Zvezdichko
I'm very sorry you felt disappointed. I can understand why - no bright flash. But the real treasure could be coming to us.
Hungry4info
QUOTE (Zvezdichko @ Oct 9 2009, 07:15 AM) *
But the real treasure could be coming to us.

That's my stance too. We haven't seen or heard from LRO or HST.
mchan
from discussion on nasaspaceflight forum --

http://www.gargaro.com/MaRvInWaVs/boom.wav
Hungry4info
I recall hearing that science return aside, they would be quickly able to determine if the mission was a success or not. While I have very little doubt that LCROSS will return data, has there been any word from the LCROSS team itself?
Astro0
From LCROSS shortly after Centaur impact...
Click to view attachment

Last frame from LCROSS video before it cutout...
Click to view attachment

....I think that the whole sequence was fantastic. cool.gif
Watching the Moon's surface rush towards us reminded me of the old footage of Ranger heading for impact.
The anticipation/tension of the whole thing was great.
Was anyone else leaning closer to their screen hoping to see something?...ANYTHING!

There's going to be more data here than we can see right now.
Let's wait for the press conference being held in about 90 minutes.

In a way, I'm glad there was no 'flash'....that might convince some media/public that it wasn't a bomb! wink.gif
Hungry4info
Oh definitely, absence of the Centaur impact aside, I definitely enjoyed it. I, too, leaned closer =)
nprev
laugh.gif !, mchan!

Oh, I'm not disappointed personally, and of course the real gold will be in the properly acquired & calibrated data. In all likelihood the popular media's gonna be a bit snarky, though, and that's always not the best for NASA.

I was thinking that this would be a good trick to try on one of Mercury's poles someday, with the caveat that the chase spacecraft would have to do a grazing flyby--not an impact-- & survive at least long enough to play back the observations.
MahFL
I would say it's a safe bet if water is found in a shadowed crater, it's a common thing that could be found in ALL solar systems.
Astro0
For anyone interested, there is an archived version of NASA TV's coverage here.

It's 109mb, I'm downloading it now and will try to put together an edited version of the last few minutes before and after Centaur and LCROSS impact.
Hungry4info
NASA news conference at 10 AM EDT
They've got some 'splaining to do. laugh.gif
MahFL
Maybe they impacted a lunar bog ?
Hungry4info
Quote David Morrison, Director of NASA's Lunar Science Institute"I think we're all a little bit disappointed that we didn't see anything, but 90% of the data has not yet been seen."
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1795...-into-moon.html
climber
May be it was a splash, not a kaboum: this has to be liquid water
Phil Stooke
http://www.mmto.org/lcross/

Go here for streamimg video from MMT possibly showing the impact plume. But Palomar reportedly saw nothing.

Phil
Hungry4info
Nothing from Lick
http://www.universetoday.com/2009/10/09/lc...e-data-pending/
elakdawalla
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 9 2009, 06:09 AM) *
...Go here for streamimg video from MMT...

I saw something on Twitter indicating MMT was out of focus so no useful data was gathered? ...but that's Twitter and could possibly be wrong rolleyes.gif
MahFL
I was watching MMT and the closeup did seem a bit blurry. The other view seemed ok.
AndyG
QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Oct 9 2009, 02:25 PM) *

I just stacked a few of their frames and can see a bit fat nothing. Which is good, right? smile.gif

Andy
Littlebit
Maybe they missed the target;)
Juramike
Somewhere way back, someone had posted an animated GIF showing a lunar impact as seen through a telescope. There was a tiny flash (you could almost imagine it going "piff").

I'd assumed that vaporizing a football field worth of lunar regolith would've made a bigger flash and a sunlit dust plume.

Guess not....
ilbasso
I was somewhat bemused by the confusion over the commanding being given to the Flight Director in the final 60 seconds before Centaur impact, to change a setting on the NIR instrument. "Was that November IR?" How much time was lost in that communication? Hopefully it didn't affect the collection of data. Just shows the unintended consequences of having two instruments with similar sounding acronyms, NIR and MIR.
Astro0
Going back over the video, there was something in the infrared images that caught my eye.
I've taken 4 frames and put them in an animated gif.
Click to view attachment

You can see, almost in the middle here a small dot appear. Bright at the centre and a darker blue around it.
It may just be "noise", but it happens and in the audio on the TV coverage just a moment later they announce Centaur impact.

Not claiming anything here, just pointing it out. I suppose we'll know any minute now as the Press Conference is about to start.
AndyG
Mmmm ... I've seen spacecraft disappear into craters before. laugh.gif

elakdawalla
Oh how I wish Ames was as on the ball as JPL is with media graphics. Any sign of these cool slides anywhere on the Web?
Astro0
There was a 'flash' cool.gif

Here's the mission's image showing the 'flash' and I think it matches nicely to the spot I noticed in the animation.
Click to view attachment
clad
I´ve a comment about the poor media coverage of this important event, i think this a important mission, can you imagine if we found water in the moon? all the things we can possible found with this discover? , NASA needs more advertise around the world to obtain more benefits, more support from all of us. The information in our present era is like gold, everybody needs to have it....

I would to say thanks to the people in this web page to keep us informed and post pics from the most important part of the mission, and of course a WELL DONE to NASA for this flawless mission.
dilo
Rough animation from the frames of last 2 minutes of transmission (starting about 2.5min after Centur impact). The very last frames aren't included...
Juramike
Interesting comment regarding the integrated spectral data after the initial peak (Centaur impact).
"The observation that the line didn't return to zero is interesting." (paraphrased)

Did we make a smoldering crater?
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Juramike @ Oct 9 2009, 08:52 AM) *
....I'd assumed that vaporizing a football field worth of lunar regolith would've made a bigger flash and a sunlit dust plume....

Are you referring to the LCROSS crater? That was predicted to be 60 meters in diameter. It would take about 15 of those to cover a football field.

To everyone: I hope the press conference has dispelled the uncharacteristic negative attitudes I see expressed in many of the post impact comments.
Doc
Indeed there was a flash. Hardly more than a few pixels. But its there and the UV radiance data being presented proves it. The size is as expected...
MahFL
Yes but the whole episode was over-hyped. Todays public expects to see what they expect to see !
A pixel or 2 on a camera ain't going to do it. As a co-worker said "is that all we get for 79 million ?"

centsworth_II
QUOTE (MahFL @ Oct 9 2009, 09:48 AM) *
A pixel or 2 on a camera ain't going to do it. As a co-worker said "is that all we get for 79 million ?"

I'll paraphrase from the press conference:

'THE SPECTRA IS WHERE THE SCIENCE IS AT.'

We pay for the science, not the spectacle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.