Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LROC news and images
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Earth & Moon > Lunar Exploration > LRO & LCROSS
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Stu
Oh my... Mare Orientale, never fails to impress... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
belleraphon1
LRO Telecon

NASA will host a media teleconference at 2 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, June 21, to highlight the results of the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) mission

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=33864

Craig smile.gif
Hungry4info
Anyone know where to see the figures and images they're talking about?
ilbasso
Spectacular oblique views of Tycho's central peak!

Universe Today article on Tycho's central peak
Ron Hobbs
That is one seriously cool image.

To paraphrase someone from the Mars Program, "This is not your mother's Moon!" smile.gif
hendric
Man, that is nuts, a big giant boulder right in the middle of the mountain peaks. Is boulder even the correct term for something of that size? Wow!
dilo
Such resolution joined to this angle of view... Truly impressive!
scalbers
This reminds me of a similar vantage point of the central peaks of Copernicus from Lunar Orbiter some time ago...

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...amp;#entry88502

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1321
scalbers

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Sep 9 2010, 05:41 PM) *
There's a spectacular new WAC mosaic of the Moon centered on longitude 90 degrees. It's in orthographic projection, so the limb is smooth rather than lumpy. I would love to be able to take this orthographic projection, fill in the gores with a more neutral gray, then drop it on top of the Kaguya or LOLA topography data to make a more natural-looking image, but I don't know how to do that last step. Is this something I should be able to do with some software tool like Celestia? If so, is there anyone out there who could talk me through how to do that?

Greetings Emily and all,

Do you happen to know if anyone has come up with a cylindrical version of these mosaics (along with the LOLA maps)? I'm debating whether to try contacting the team via the mission website, or to run some of my planetary mapping software to try and make such maps.

I'm starting to take a look at this site:

http://www.lroc.asu.edu/news/index.php?/ar...way-around.html

Thanks,

Steve

Bjorn Jonsson
QUOTE (scalbers @ Jul 4 2011, 10:56 PM) *
Do you happen to know if anyone has come up with a cylindrical version of these mosaics (along with the LOLA maps)? I'm debating whether to try contacting the team via the mission website, or to run some of my planetary mapping software to try and make such maps.

I know there are cylindrical LOLA maps (I have one on my computer) but I don't remember if there's a LROC/WAC cylindrical map. I would be surprised if there wasn't one though. Reprojecting an orthographic image to cylindrical is trivial though so making a new version of the orthographic views with a 'lumpy' limb isn't difficult.
Phil Stooke
Go to this link:

http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc/wac_mosaic

Click on each section. Each subsequent page has a PDS format download link. Big files! But they could be downsampled as needed. So you would get most of the Moon in cylindrical in eight sections. Then a quick polar to cylindrical for the polar sections and you're done.

Phil

PS go here:

http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc/rdr_product_select

for access to other images including the 'regions of interest'.
CryptoEngineer
LROC may have spotted a long-dead predecessor.

Crash or coincidence?

This article on the LROC site shows a fresh low-angle impact site, and suggests that it may be the final resting place of the 1966/7 Lunar Orbiter 2, famous for this shot of Copernicus.

CE
Phil Stooke
I had seen that... they say the impact is too large, but it's hard to tell how big the crater is in that view - I think it's only the faint circular spot between the two dark lobes, shown in red below, and that is only 15 m across, which I think is not too bad. But we do need a lower angle lighting view.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Here's a finder image for that spot:

Click to view attachment

Phil
ilbasso
Update from LRO's Twitter feed:
Today I will begin dipping down from my usual about 50 km orbit to an orbit that will allow me to image the Apollo sites from about 20 km away! This will allow me to obtain images of the Apollo sites that are about four times sharper than my current best images.

Once I reach my new temporary orbit, I'll take images of and around the Apollo sites between August 14 and 19. After that, I'll return to my 50-km-orbit until December.

(A clarification: my project scientists would like to point out that there are several technical challenges associated with getting improved resolution images at the lower altitude orbit.

Example: I will not slow down from my ~1.6 km/s (~3500 mph) speed when I get closer to the Moon's surface, which might cause some image blurring, particularly for the LROC Narrow Angle Camera images.

However, it will certainly be fun to compare the images from the different orbits!)
eoincampbell
Great to hear that ilbasso, yet more views on our solar system to look forward to this month...
monty python
QUOTE (ilbasso @ Aug 10 2011, 08:44 PM) *
Update from LRO's Twitter feed:

Great news. I wonder how many of the landing sites they can image in that time and if they could slew the camera (aka skeet shoot) the orbiter to improve the shots.

Fingers crossed!
Explorer1
Sounds great, though watch out for the 21 km high mountains! (are there even any?)
ilbasso
It is exciting to contemplate LRO dipping down lower in its orbit than some high-altitude jets can fly. Some of the Apollo astronauts described flying over the lunar mountains at that altitude and instinctively trying to pull their feet up!
stevesliva
Perhaps they should release those photos immediately! wink.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Aug 10 2011, 10:01 PM) *
Sounds great, though watch out for the 21 km high mountains! (are there even any?)

All of the highest Lunar peaks are less than 5km. So there's plenty of room to fly over them at 21km.
djellison
QUOTE (stevesliva @ Aug 11 2011, 08:22 AM) *
Perhaps they should release those photos immediately! wink.gif

Given the processing required for push-broom imaging, the map projection that requires reconstructed SPICE kernels - a moderate delay is to be entirely expected.
moozoo
I will not slow down from my ~1.6 km/s (~3500 mph) speed when I get closer to the Moon's surface

Actually it should be going a bit faster than it does a 50Km.
I'm guessing that the difference between 1,737km + 50km and 1,737km + 20km isn't that much and hence the ~1.6 km/s is still valid.

ilbasso
Fascinating photo of boulders clustered within an impact crater's ejecta ray.
kenny
Beautiful. Very fresh looking, angular fractures and sharp faces to the boulders.
Phil Stooke
Here are some odd depressions, similar to those in Hyginus and on the open mare in Tranquillitatis, reported here earlier... and also similar to the famous Ina (D-Caldera). This is a set not described before, just found in the LROC Quickmap:

http://target.lroc.asu.edu/da/qmap.html

located at ( lon, lat ) = ( 19.09751, 8.32289 ). The scene is about 4 km across.

Phil

Click to view attachment
Phil Stooke
Skimming the Moon!

http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/news/?archives/45...g-the-Moon.html

Phil
charborob
More about this here, including new images of the Apollo 12 and 14 landing sites from about 20 km altitude.
ugordan
QUOTE (charborob @ Sep 6 2011, 07:20 PM) *
More about this here

Love the interactive versions of "before" and "after" images.
Stu
Some very interesting work has been done on the Apollo landing site LRO images over on the Moonzoo forum...

http://forum.moonzoo.org/index.php?topic=5.375
ilbasso
Fascinating animations! They certainly help you make better sense out of what you see on the surface. On the Apollo 11 site photo in Google Moon, the LM's shadow looks almost like there's still an ascent stage attached. In these animations, you can now see that there is a large piece of foil or shielding sticking up from the top of the LM descent stage near the EASEP bay. The reflectivity of foil bits also changes under different lighting angles, so you can better tell what is actual equipment and what is detritus. And the flag or flagpole shadows...!
Stu
Thought you'd like those smile.gif
James Fincannon
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 7 2011, 07:18 PM) *
Thought you'd like those smile.gif

Glad you liked the flag pole/flag animations, they were interesting to do.
Phil Stooke
Yes, they are brilliant - and they appear to lay to rest the questions of whether the flags would have (a) been knocked over or ( b ) disintegrated due to the UV exposure. For some at least the flag must still be present to cast those shadows.

Phil
James Fincannon
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 7 2011, 08:14 PM) *
Yes, they are brilliant - and they appear to lay to rest the questions of whether the flags would have (a) been knocked over or ( b ) disintegrated due to the UV exposure. For some at least the flag must still be present to cast those shadows.

Phil

Thanks. Yes, I was surprised to be the first to do that (i.e. show the flags are casting shadows on their poles as depicted by animation). So often one finds out one is third (or further back) when doing anything.

Note, Apollo 14's flag can't but examined this way due to poor location of the flag and Apollo 15 doesn’t have an obvious flag shadow cast although it is in a position to be able to cast shadows that can be seen (it's pole or the flag fabric might have been knocked down). And Apollo 11's flag is, of course, down too.
brellis
What on earth - sorry, moon - would knock down a flag? Does the softness of the lunar soil around its base gradually cause it to lean?

edit: btw fantastic work on those animations! Love the site too smile.gif
Phil Stooke
The LM Ascent Stage launch would knock down the flag! (or the gophers undermining the pole)

Phil
PDP8E
Apollo 12 'sneak preview'

Click to view attachment
PDP8E
Here is an Apollo 12 animation from the latest LROC
It is centered on the descent stage and flicks between 'normal' and 'high contrast'
Two of the interesting things I can see are (1) they landed in a very shallow crater, (2) one of the astronauts was moving in a serpentine motion - probably testing mobility - on the right side of the image.

(hit 'CNTRL +' to zoom with your browser)

Click to view attachment
jklier
Does anyone know if the raw imagery for the newly obtained Apollo data is or will be available? I like to do my own processing to see what I can bring out. Thanks!
djellison
QUOTE (jklier @ Sep 13 2011, 11:50 AM) *
Does anyone know if the raw imagery for the newly obtained Apollo data is or will be available?

As with all LRO data, I'm sure it'll be on the PDS soon enough.
elakdawalla
Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter does PDS releases every 3 months, on the 15th, and each release covers data that is 3 to 6 months old.
jklier
Thank you for the replies. It appears the last updates were June 15th. Soooo...... I'll be hoping the latest Apollo data might make it in on this next update which would be tomorrow if I got that last date correct. However, not likely since it is only about a month old.
djellison
No - it'll be in the update after that.
James Fincannon
QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 14 2011, 06:27 PM) *
No - it'll be in the update after that.

Looks like the data is in!
http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/data/LRO-L-LROC-3....0/LROLRC_0007/
djellison
That's the normal Sept 2011 release that should include data from March/April/May/June
Phil Stooke
I've been waiting for this for a while:

Click to view attachment

Lunokhod 2's tracks at the place where it spent its second lunar night. The cross-shaped pattern of tracks is similar to tracks at the location of its first lunar night stop. I think it was using its magnetometer at the time, two perpendicular transects, centered on a small crater at both locations.

Phil

marsbug
Loving it, wish I'd been around when these mission flew!
vikingmars
QUOTE (marsbug @ Sep 20 2011, 11:33 PM) *
Loving it, wish I'd been around when these mission flew!

Well... I was there (as a teenager then) and the French space agency (CNES) was very close to the Russian space agency at this time. Believe me : NO Lunokhod images and NO "live" news were given by the Soviets then, even to the French who had some experiments inside. The only imaging "glimpses" we had were during the Paris Air shows every 2 years : just 1 or 2 Lunokhod images (not even the full pans) were shown on a vertical poster, printed raw (really of a bad quality) and with a text in Russian... They just did not care about Western public interest. Their only focus was to show full size Salyut mock-ups with Soyuz capsules (the best part of their exhibit) and have cosmonauts give at conferences some "political" interviews (always about their quest for peace and their non-agression policy and friendhip between the states... Yawn !). At a later stage, we even saw the Buran on top of its carrier... But still NO more Lunokhod images were shown... The space enthusiasts like me were very frustrated regarding their unmanned spaceflight results.
So, don't worry : you missed almost nothing... cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.