Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4th leg in the trek to Endeavour
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Tesheiner
I think it's time for a new thread.
Opportunity is leaving the area where Kasos and other targets were "sniffed" and imaged, making a 20m drive westwards during sol 1891. Besides, we are reaching the 16km milestone.

Here's a Q&D "post-drive" navcam mosaic.
Click to view attachment

Edited: we are in "restricted sols", right?
djellison
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ May 20 2009, 09:25 AM) *
Q&D

Quality and detail?

biggrin.gif

ONWARDS!
Tesheiner
> ONWARDS!

Rui / Ustrax, did you hacked Doug's account? tongue.gif
SFJCody
It will be interesting to see what route they take for the next few km. If they stick with driving on rocky terrain whenever possible they will make a big detour to the south west and still have to get across some nasty looking ripples when they move east. On the other hand if they cut east fairly soon they will avoid the bad ripples but have to cover a long distance without firm bedrock beneath the wheels.
Tesheiner
I was doing the same questions since we continued SSW after the first science stop.
Right now, I think the path will be over rocky terrain; still SSW for some 700m and then E / SE another 500m or so. The problem, as you said, is after that.
Click to view attachment
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (SFJCody @ May 20 2009, 03:21 AM) *
if they cut east fairly soon they will avoid the bad ripples but have to cover a long distance without firm bedrock beneath the wheels.

Once this last patch is cleared though, it's clear driving for most of the remainder. That is going to get exciting.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ May 20 2009, 10:25 AM) *
Edited: we are in "restricted sols", right?

Mmm, no answer so I'll try to do the math by myself... smile.gif

<speculation mode on>
Images/data from sol 1891 were downlinked around 05:30UTC so very late night at JPL. That data will be waiting the whole night (*) until early morning in California when they will be processed by the MER team during the morning shift.

(*) Meanwhile, we at UMSF are already making mosaics, discussing about the future path, etc.

<speculation mode at maximum>
Data/sequences for the next drive should be ready for uplink after one shift (six hours), around 12:00PDT or so. That will be 04:00 local time @ Meridiani, early enough for the rover's morning uplink session.

So, we are NOT in restricted sols. It's time to wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

<speculation mode off>
SFJCody
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ May 20 2009, 04:51 PM) *
So, we are NOT in restricted sols. It's time to wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

01892 p1211.03 0 0 0 0 0 0 ultimate_front_haz_1_bpp_pri_15
01892 p1211.03 0 0 0 0 0 0 ultimate_front_haz_1_bpp_pri_15
01892 p1254.02 0 0 0 0 0 0 front_haz_fault_pri15_4bpp
01892 p1254.02 0 0 0 0 0 0 front_haz_fault_pri15_4bpp
01892 p1311.07 0 0 0 0 0 0 rear_haz_ultimate_1_bpp_crit15
01892 p1311.07 0 0 0 0 0 0 rear_haz_ultimate_1_bpp_crit15
01892 p1354.01 0 0 0 0 0 0 rear_haz_fault_pri15_4bpp
01892 p1354.01 0 0 0 0 0 0 rear_haz_fault_pri15_4bpp

Looks like you're right! laugh.gif
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ May 20 2009, 08:51 AM) *
<speculation mode at maximum>
Data/sequences for the next drive should be ready for uplink after one shift (six hours), around 12:00PDT or so.
<speculation mode off>

How did you know? *I* did not know that I would be done with the sequence by noon today! And I was the RP2 today!!!

Paolo
BrianL
Paolo, some of these guys know so much you'll probably have to kill them at some point. Not me, of course. I'm woefully ignorant. Just want to be clear on that.

BTW, will you be able to provide us inside info on how the sandbox testing is proceeding, or is that not for public consumption? Yes, I know, that question should be in the Spirit thread, but I got lazy.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (BrianL @ May 20 2009, 07:53 PM) *
BTW, will you be able to provide us inside info on how the sandbox testing is proceeding, or is that not for public consumption? Yes, I know, that question should be in the Spirit thread, but I got lazy.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=140816
Tesheiner
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ May 21 2009, 01:09 AM) *
How did you know? *I* did not know that I would be done with the sequence by noon today! And I was the RP2 today!!!

You know I didn't! laugh.gif
My only source of information on this subject is Scott's blog (Mars and me) about Spirit's early sols. I would be really grateful if you could provide us a brief (or not so brief smile.gif ) description of what is an usual working day for an RP.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ May 20 2009, 10:57 PM) *
You know I didn't! laugh.gif
My only source of information on this subject is Scott's blog (Mars and me) about Spirit's early sols. I would be really grateful if you could provide us a brief (or not so brief smile.gif ) description of what is an usual working day for an RP.

That's a good question. A good description of the uplink process can be found in:

"Working the Martian night shift - the MER surface operations process" by Mishkin, A.H.; Limonadi, D.; Laubach, S.L.; Bass, D.S.

and

"From prime to extended mission : evolution of the MER tactical uplink process (2006)" by Michkin, Andrew H., and Laubach, Sharon.

Paolo
Tesheiner
> Sorry for the length of the post ...

What! The lengthy the better, IMO. biggrin.gif
I'll need some time to go through it...

---

And back to "back seat driving mode", I've just checked the data to find that today's drive has already finished beind covered 70+ meters. That places the 16km milestone right at the current position (or perhaps a few meters behind).

Here's the latest navcam mosaic looking due south.
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
Finished reading it, and really enjoyed. Many thanks for this detailed description! smile.gif
A few questions:
- I suppose the beginning of a shift is conditioned to the downlink time, right?
- All this teams, meetings, peer reviews, are duplicated one for each rover? I assume yes.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ May 21 2009, 06:41 AM) *
Finished reading it, and really enjoyed. Many thanks for this detailed description! smile.gif
A few questions:
- I suppose the beginning of a shift is conditioned to the downlink time, right?
- All this teams, meetings, peer reviews, are duplicated one for each rover? I assume yes.

Yes start of shift depends on downlink time and each rover has its own team that go through the meetings and review process.

Paolo
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ May 21 2009, 11:37 PM) *
For each planning cycle, each rover has a team with several positions: Paolo

Thanks Paolo, I found your posts v interesting. It's easy to forget just how amazing and complex all this is. A good reminder of how alert all you guys need to remain and how intricate planning and procedure has to be to make sure things are right and that there is max cross checking to ensure that there are no boo-boos! ..........Even just bumping a couple of metres. There's no "just going for a spin on Mars"!

PS - I seem to remember that Emmenthal has lots of holes in it!!!
Astro0
Tesheiner: That places the 16km milestone right at the current position...

I like the ground view of your 16km marker. laugh.gif
Click to view attachment
nprev
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif ...I knew those labels had to be huge on the ground despite the resolution of HiRISE!
Tesheiner
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Good laugh

Could someone enhance/zoom the horizon? I can see some bright pixels right there; may be the 17km mark.
Nirgal
good to see her moving towards the goal again biggrin.gif

(and glad that the weeks-long-Moessbauer-Integration part apparently must have been skipped this time wink.gif wink.gif

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
Ant103
Ha ha ha Astro0 biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Very nice.

I've made a true 16 km milestone biggrin.gif
ugordan
QUOTE (Ant103 @ May 22 2009, 03:59 PM) *
I've made a true 16 km milestone

Hmmm.... a milestone with kilometers on it... cool.gif
jamescanvin
Talking of miles, we must be pretty close to the 10 mile post. (Only 93m past 16km, and we did 70 odd of those tosol)
jamescanvin
Here is the sol 1892 colour (R21) drive direction mosaic.

Ant103
And my version smile.gif
BrianL
QUOTE (Ant103 @ May 22 2009, 08:59 AM) *
I've made a true 16 km milestone biggrin.gif

Ooh, that looks far too much like a headstone for my liking. ph34r.gif
BrianL
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ May 22 2009, 09:52 AM) *
Talking of miles, we must be pretty close to the 10 mile post. (Only 93m past 16km, and we did 70 odd of those tosol)

I'm reminded of this gem from Scott's blog:

This sol we had another 48 meter direct drive, the mid-drive survey and localization remote sensing, and then 47 m of
driving using auto-navigation. The total was 95.2 meters, bringing the mission total to 1830 meters. Nextersol, we
should break one Earth nautical mile, which is 1852 meters. As we drive another kilometer and change to the base of the
hills, we will continue to bring you as many arbitrary numerical achievements as we can come up with.

laugh.gif
ilbasso
One or two more drives and we'll be over 10 miles! Go Baby Go!!
climber
QUOTE (HughFromAlice @ May 21 2009, 11:22 PM) *
PS - I seem to remember that Emmenthal has lots of holes in it!!!

Remember, the more Emmenthal you have, the more holes...but the more holes...the less Emmenthal
Phil Stooke
The holes are where the blueberries have dropped out...

Phil
ngunn
I got my Phil,
On blueberry hill . . .
helvick
That's possibly the funniest post I've read here in a very long time. Classic.
nprev
laugh.gif ...DEFINITELY a strong contender for the annual Worst Pun on UMSF award!
BrianL
QUOTE (ilbasso @ May 22 2009, 05:58 PM) *
One or two more drives and we'll be over 10 miles! Go Baby Go!!

Well, baby is technically going, but not really in the spirit of the phrase (we'll just ignore that unfortunate choice of words).

Looking at Oppy's history since setting out from the rim of VC, she was pretty steady on 30-35 sols per km for the first three km (if we ignore that pesky conjunction layover that was forced upon her). The last one though took over 70. Obviously, for good reason, losing a wheel would certainly slow that pace even further. And in addition to wheel rests, there were a couple of unfortunate delays that perhaps made for an unusually slow transit.

Paolo, do you think the pace of this past km is indicative of what we will see the rest of the way (barring further mishaps, touch wood), or does Oppy still have a chance at picking things up and reaching Endeavour within your original hoped-for timeframe?

Edit: Sorry, this should go in the discussion thread. Could someone all-powerful move it there for me, please?
alan
Oppy's average rate of travel over 1897 sols = 0.5895 furlongs per fortnight
CosmicRocker
That sounds about right. I apparently didn't use the same data as you, but it would have been easier to check if Google's calculator, or I, knew the exact length of a Martian sol.
alan
I used martian fortnights, so no conversion of sol to days needed.

ETA: looks like another drive tosol.

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...W1P1311R0M1.JPG
redmoon
Oppy has passed the 10-mile mark tosol.

http://twitter.com/MarsRovers/status/1924611977
Oersted
Congrats on the ten miles! (Even though I think we should relegate "miles" to the past...)

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/09052...p-10-miles.html

- Right now I'll be more excited by ten centimeters by Spirit than another mile by Oppy, though...

serpens
But that is only 8.7 nautical miles so she still has a way to go.
briv1016
QUOTE (serpens @ May 27 2009, 02:38 AM) *
But that is only 8.7 nautical miles so she still has a way to go.

Keep in mind that the definition of a nautical mile is the great circle distance corresponding to a 1 degree change in latitude. Because Mars is smaller than Earth, the distance will be less.
djellison
It's one minute, not one degree - and on Mars, it's JUST under 1km.
briv1016
I stand corrected.
imipak
Clearly, where α is awesome,

Op ≥ 10α

climber
Wondering if those regular 70m drives have something to do with the RF lubrication issue?
fredk
I think the answer is yes. From the latest PS update:
"The currents are still elevated and so we're limiting most drives to 50 meters, which tends to be completed within about an hour." The engineers are also trying out a new strategy of driving shorter distances. "We're trying to do a couple of things here," [Matijevic] said. "We're trying to figure out if we can drive shorter distances and drive more days without elevating the current in the actuators as has been happening on the longer, 100-to-150-meter drives."
SpaceListener
However, it is possible to advance two hops of 50 meters each one after a pause of 2-3 hours to cool things?
Tesheiner
Probably yes, but in that case the evening communication session would be missed, I'm afraid.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (SpaceListener @ Jun 2 2009, 02:21 PM) *
However, it is possible to advance two hops of 50 meters each one after a pause of 2-3 hours to cool things?

2-3 hours won't do much. Over the Memorial Weekend we had a 4 Sols pause and the RF currents came downa bit just to jump right back at the same level. I think we just have to live with it.

Paolo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.