Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4th leg in the trek to Endeavour
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Nirgal
drive shorter distances and drive more days

Yes that seems like a sensible approach that ensures slower but sure & steady progress ... 50 meters at each driveable sol plus keeping the intermediate science stops short (like one week instead of 4+ weeks thus sparing the more complex science tasks and IDD hardware wear for the ultimate loooong science stop at Endeavour smile.gif
Tesheiner
QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 4 2009, 01:54 PM) *
That was kind of short. Giving the motors a rest?

The current status report has some tidbits related to that 30m drive and the current strategy:
On Sols 1900, 1902 and 1904 (May 29, May 31 and June 2, 2009), Opportunity drove 66, 71 and 74 meters, (217, 233 and 243 feet), respectively. On Sol 1905 (June 3, 2009), the rover only accomplished about 30 meters (98 feet) of driving before the time ran out. Activities were very time-constrained on that sol.

Motor currents in the right-front wheel continue to be elevated. Limiting the drive distance and employing regular, short, backward slip checks seems to mitigate further increases in right-front wheel current.
RoverDriver
RF wheel currents were beginning to trend upwards again so the drivers on shift decided to start driving backwards again and rest for a while.
There is some challenging terrain about 500m ahead and we will have to sit and think which way to go. This next resting period will come in handy for that.

Paolo
SFJCody
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jun 6 2009, 03:05 PM) *
There is some challenging terrain about 500m ahead and we will have to sit and think which way to go.

It does look tricky. My favourite route at the moment would be something like this, using patches of bedrock to move east and moving south when in areas where the drift material looks dangerous.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (SFJCody @ Jun 7 2009, 02:16 AM) *
It does look tricky. My favourite route at the moment would be something like this, using patches of bedrock to move east and moving south when in areas where the drift material looks dangerous.

How about that! We are considering a path similar to that one but most of the drivers prefer a path that goes all around (westward) the area of Purgatoids that is just south of the rover.

Paolo
BrianL
To my eye, angling south-west now, then proceeding close to the edges of the HiRISE photo south then east seems to offer the cleanest route to the really nice looking terrain in the eastern third of the shot. Is that the way being favoured?
RoverDriver
QUOTE (BrianL @ Jun 7 2009, 07:23 AM) *
To my eye, angling south-west now, then proceeding close to the edges of the HiRISE photo south then east seems to offer the cleanest route to the really nice looking terrain in the eastern third of the shot. Is that the way being favoured?

Yes. Still the route has not been decided yet. We will use the next resting period to analyze the HiRISE in detail and come to a conclusion on which route to take.

Paolo
climber
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jun 7 2009, 05:32 PM) *
Yes. Still the route has not been decided yet. We will use the next resting period to analyze the HiRISE in detail and come to a conclusion on which route to take.
Paolo

So, you don't trust Rui's! Realy? wink.gif
Tesheiner
> the next resting period ...

Is it at that outcrop 200m to the south?
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 7 2009, 08:48 AM) *
> the next resting period ...

Is it at that outcrop 200m to the south?

No, I think we will stop at the end of the next drive. Wherever that might be.

Paolo
Nirgal
QUOTE (SFJCody @ Jun 7 2009, 12:16 PM) *
using patches of bedrock to move

if I remember correctly, the increase in RF currents was less pronounced (or even non-existant) when driving on firm bedrock in the past (Paolo, correct me if I'm wrong) ...
Poolio
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jun 7 2009, 01:17 PM) *
No, I think we will stop at the end of the next drive. Wherever that might be.

What is the reasoning behind this? Is it due to excessive concern over the RF wheel currents, or because the future path alternatives diverge at this point? The reason I ask is that I would have thought it a priority to reach bedrock before stopping for any length of time (to maximize the science return during the rest).

Mike
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Poolio @ Jun 7 2009, 06:01 PM) *
What is the reasoning behind this? Is it due to excessive concern over the RF wheel currents, or because the future path alternatives diverge at this point? The reason I ask is that I would have thought it a priority to reach bedrock before stopping for any length of time (to maximize the science return during the rest).

Mike

The only thing that helped reducing the RF current now seems to be resting for a week or two. The higher wheel currents indicate that the motor is subject to more mechanical resistance. I have not been following MER-B closely but was told that the nearest bedrock is about 200m away. At the current rate that would be about one week of driving.

Paolo
jamescanvin
Just catching up a bit. Drive direction mosaics for sols 1897 to 1904 (all images link to the same blog entry)

Sol 1897

Sol 1898

Sol 1900

Sol 1902

Sol 1904

James
SpaceListener
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jun 7 2009, 08:28 PM) *
The higher wheel currents indicate that the motor is subject to more mechanical resistance.

I am suppossing that by driving on bedrock, the wheels traction will require less mechanical resistance than over the sand. Is there any difference of wheel currents between bedrock and sand?
RoverDriver
QUOTE (SpaceListener @ Jun 9 2009, 06:36 AM) *
I am suppossing that by driving on bedrock, the wheels traction will require less mechanical resistance than over the sand. Is there any difference of wheel currents between bedrock and sand?

The RF currents drop to almost nominal (~50% reduction) on bedrock but all other wheels change only a slight amount (10% reduction).

Paolo
Nirgal
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Jun 9 2009, 05:11 PM) *
The RF currents drop to almost nominal (~50% reduction) on bedrock
Paolo

Ah, this is very encouraging ! suggesting the RF problem will be greatly alleviated once we reach the firmer "parking-lot" type of terrain about 2 kms ahead (which is expected to be similar in driveability to the "easy" ground between Eagle and Endurance) ... so it sure is the most sensible approach to drive defensively in order to reach the "parking lot" with an intact RF smile.gif
Floyd
I thought I was looking at Spirit tracks. What the .... salts or silica in the middle of nowhere huh.gif

Click to view attachment
RoverDriver
QUOTE (Floyd @ Jun 9 2009, 04:44 PM) *
I thought I was looking at Spirit tracks. What the hell--salts or silica in the middle of nowhere huh.gif

Funny, isnt' it? The penultimate drive tripped the average wheel current limit which is in place to stop the rover when it is close to being embedded. This is the first time this limit was triggered while not extricating the rover from an embedding event. Looking at the tracks, I think this was a good thing.

Paolo
Astro0
That's very interesting and very pretty smile.gif
Click to view attachment
nprev
Hmm. I see some apparent slip marks in the white patch. Given the wheel current spike, is the white stuff therefore more slippery than standard soil?

(And does this hold any clues for Spirit's situation? How many kinds of white stuff have been noted to date over in Gusev?)
Shaka
The little sliver of white to the upper left of the tracks suggests that we have ventured onto standard Meridiani bedrock with a very thin cover of sand.
briv1016
QUOTE (Shaka @ Jun 10 2009, 02:41 AM) *
The little sliver of white to the upper left of the tracks suggests that we have ventured onto standard Meridiani bedrock with a very thin cover of sand.

Looks too clumpy to be just bedrock. huh.gif
Floyd
QUOTE (Shaka @ Jun 10 2009, 01:41 AM) *

No I would agree with briv1016 that it is not bedrock. I think we hit a patch of crumbly salt nodules. I think the larger rock/patch would also crumble if driven over. Paolo also indicated that wheel current was up from moving over/into soft soil--I don't think you would get that with a thin layer of sand over bedrock.

I wonder if Opportunity will do any IDD work to explore the composition of the light material?
fredk
I don't see any sign of slippage in these images. The linear wheel track on the right isn't defined as well where it goes over the messy tracks from the turn in place. The lighter patches may just be patches where the compacted smooth fine soil is catching reflections of sun/skylight?
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Floyd @ Jun 10 2009, 05:08 AM) *
I wonder if Opportunity will do any IDD work to explore the composition of the light material?

I certainly would be good to have something interesting and useful to do during a lengthy rest stop.

(If we're starting a powder vs bedrock debate laugh.gif , put me down for powder -- I hope it's not just wishful thinking.)
Shaka
I'm wishing for the same thing, Cents, but after so many miles of bedrock without a speck of 'powder', I have to play the percentages. cool.gif
marsophile
Since we seem to be stopped in "DuneLand" for a while, perhaps we should investigate a dune a little more closely. We could perhaps penetrate a dune with the IDD and do some work inside the dune and/or at the point of penetration. Or would this possibly damage the arm?
Floyd
You don't use the IDD for poking. But hey, when was the last time Opportunity dug a good trench? Lets dig down and see what's really there. rolleyes.gif
imipak
QUOTE (Floyd @ Jun 10 2009, 11:08 AM) *

Surely, yes. It's the first such white material Oppy's encountered, and it's obviously a very different environment from Home Plate, so we surely have to find out what it is / how it got here, even if there aren't any implications for future drives. How cool that novel observations are still turning up!
Tesheiner
It seems that this site was considered not relevant because Opportunity left the area. There was a drive yestersol (1912) moving the rover 70+ further south.
BrianL
So, as I understand it, this is where we sit and wait to see whether Oppy turns on her left or right turn signal indicator? Good to see some chatter in the other thread about the possible choices. It's been pretty quiet in the back seat for awhile. biggrin.gif
fredk
I think we've seen similar "white powder" on Meridiani before. I'm still skeptical it really was "white powder" - it could've been reflectivity rather than albedo.

But we did sit there resting the RF wheel for 6 sols, so maybe they decided the wheel could now survive a couple of sols' drive to the bedrock and then we'll do a longer science stop there?
eoincampbell
Surely trench digging will not be considered given the precocious state of the RF wheel.
djellison
Could always use the FL. I'd expect us to do 1 - 2 more drives to get to the next bit of outcrop before having some down-time to make the decision between left and right.
eoincampbell
I wonder about the extent of the "wear" on the other wheels, (not too far behind RF?) that would determine a "go for trenching".
I thought we would trade the digging(more resistance?) for driving at this stage...
djellison
The other wheels are all reporting normal currents.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 11 2009, 05:47 PM) *
I'd expect us to do 1 - 2 more drives to get to the next bit of outcrop before having some down-time to make the decision between left and right.

I would expect that too but the plan for tosol has some MIs so perhaps we will be stopped here for some time.
ngunn
. . as stated in post 60, no?
SpaceListener
As of Sol 1912 (June 10, 2009), Opportunity's solar array energy production is 431 watt-hours. Atmospheric opacity (tau) is 0.589. The dust factor is 0.549, indicating that 54.9 percent of sunlight hitting the solar array penetrates the layer of accumulated dust on the array. Opportunity's total odometry is 16,569.05 meters (10.3 miles).

The Oppy has by far less watt-hours than Spirit.

There is increasing the concern on the RF which is increasing the wheel current.

More reading

Is there any way to improve the lubrication on the RF? Will the summer time, with the increasing heat might help to improve the lubrication on the wheels?
CosmicRocker
Yes, thanks to recent wind cleanings, Spirit is able to store about twice the energy Oppy is able to each day, but I doubt the extra amps Oppy's labored wheel may consume will break her bank. As I understand it, Opportunity's main concern is the mechanical preservation of that wheel system, not her available energy.
serpens
Just out of interest,did they ever venture an opinion as to what the white deposit of 10 June was?
CosmicRocker
It was apparently nothing of interest, since it was only observed in navcams, and no pancam filters or mini-TES observations of the scene were recorded. As I think was mentioned previously, these navcam-bright materials have been commonly observed in Opportunity's tracks many times before. A recent example was photographed on sol 1886, but this stuff has been seen very often.

I don't recall them ever being officially described or explained, which is why I assume they are a phenomenon well understood and of little current interest to the team.
ustrax
According to Tesheiner's latest map I would dare to say that we are in great conditions to meet the estimated arrival date to my reference location or even get there earlier...let's see! Step by step... smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Tesheiner
That's because Opportunity took a short cut tongue.gif

We are almost at that big outcrop, less then 100m to reach it. And the big question is (hello Paolo!): left or right? Have a decision already been made about it?
ustrax
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jun 19 2009, 11:32 AM) *
That's because Opportunity took a short cut tongue.gif

That leaded to "The Spines"... laugh.gif
BrianL
They sure didn't give any hint on this latest drive. I was hoping to see a fade one way or t'other, but they are maintaining the mystery. Ooh, I love a good page-turner.
AndyG
I prefer a good wheel-turner. laugh.gif

Andy
fredk
This was quite a short rest stop - only 8 sols. Maybe Oppy's eager to see what the next chapter brings too...
Tesheiner
I'm not sure if we're "back on business" or if the last site was just absent of any significant science feature and they decided to move forward looking for cobbles in the vicinity. Let's see what's in the weekend plan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.