Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting Unstuck in West Valley
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Spirit
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
BrianL
Does anyone else think the route ahead looks very soft and embeddable? Is there an official, unofficial name for these rover-swallowers, such as Purgatoids came to be for Oppy's nemeses?

mhoward
QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 21 2009, 08:13 AM) *
A spectacular early morning pancam sequence is down, looking south towards G/VB

Stu
Good grief... that might be one of the most beautiful images of the whole mission, like something Ansell Adams would have taken on Mars. Just imagine how gorgeous a colour version of that would be... blink.gif

Edit: had a quick go at adding some colour to your image...not properly colourised, but still pretty, I think...

Click to view attachment
fredk
Thanks for the stunning mosaics, guys!

On another topic, SSTB light is joining the effort.
CosmicRocker
I hate to say it, but this isn't looking good. I guess this new test plan pretty much indicates that the testing hasn't gone very well, despite the earlier reports of "favorable motion." I hope I am wrong about that.
nprev
Mmm...I don't know if I'd go that far, CR. My read is that they want to make sure (as much as that's possible) that the proposed extraction sequence(s) don't do more harm than good.

Simulations are naturally never 100% representative of the real world. This one's trying to simulate conditions on a real alien world, so gotta assume that it's that much more difficult. Extreme caution is warranted before going for broke with Spirit.
djellison
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 22 2009, 06:21 AM) *
I hope I am wrong about that.

Wrong? Who knows.

Jumping to conclusions? Ohhhh yes.
HughFromAlice
Enjoy the beautiful sunset on Mars yesterday (Sol 2002) in slow motion in all its glory! Only black and white, but I find it deeply deeply awe inspiring to watch a sunset on another world the day after it has happened. When I first looked at the Exploratorium pics I thought these smudges don't look so interesting - until I looked closer!!! Both Pancams were used - I took the right. Pics taken at around 1 1/4 min intervals from 18:19:36 to 35:54 Mars time ... 14 frames (I left the last -15th frame off). If I get time, I will try to do more with it.

Things like this make me very grateful to the MER-NASA mob..... and MHoward of MidNightMars Browser who's made it all so easy, but could be sued for producing an addictive product. So this is my small contribution.....

Click to view attachment
Astro0
A beautiful sunset it may be, but losing the Sun for the last few frames tells us that the dust in the atmosphere is pretty thick.
Hopefully the local weather will clear up soon and not affect our girl too much.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 21 2009, 10:50 PM) *
they want to make sure (as much as that's possible) that the proposed extraction sequence(s) don't do more harm than good.

I agree. So much is different here (even without discussing the bad wheel). The situation here is so much more precarious than in Meridiani where they knew that ultimately there was a flat surface below the small dune, had a good idea of the full depth of the material and could count on predictable soil movement. Based on the visible slopes this stuff could be half a meter deep on one side and two meters deep on the other. Because of the slope the rover could slip and slide in all kinds of undesirable ways during extraction, and Lord knows what it is beneath it all, large boulders? Even finer sand? The fact is there are so many ways to make this a permanent observation that station a few months of cautious testing is totally warranted.

Everyone be patient.
fredk
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Aug 22 2009, 01:49 PM) *
the dust in the atmosphere is pretty thick.

Yeah. Ironically, it may be the same dust that makes the 2001 morning pan so stunning. At first I thought that was done before sunrise, since the shadows were so indistinct. But the sun was actually up for that sequence.
HughFromAlice
Here's the colourized version of the sunset - I have been enjoying putting this together so I hadn't really noticed the haze that much. But it does look like it's thick on the horizon. I've just read the Spirit update.

Click to view attachment
Tman
Hi, long ago since I've posted. Not much done in the old "hobby" but on and off a loyal looker here. Amazing the rovers still are aktiv and soon both beyond 2000!

Don't know was turned the balance but suddenly I was up for a try on the new lovely sunset from Spirit.
The time is in LTST ...and the coloring barely accurate, I guess.
Hoping you have fun with it as well as I had/have, in what respects could it be more accurate maybe?
889KBgif
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (Tman @ Aug 23 2009, 04:01 AM) *
new lovely sunset .......... in what respects could it be more accurate maybe?

Nice one Peter (Tman)! Really glad that you posted. Watched yours a few times and learned some good things! Nice smooth sky + putting the times in.

I really pushed my interpretation, so that I think that the light part of the sky could 'flare out' and go a bit purple on some monitors. But, I was fascinated by the hills!! Your work has encouraged me to think more and (when I get time) improve what I've done.

Accuracy - only best eye guess using the screens of my PC! I have been thinking about true colour, but I've only just started thinking about it ---- also, so many different monitors,browsers and applications giving rise to so many very different viewing experiences.
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 22 2009, 04:40 AM) *
Jumping to conclusions? ...

OK, I'll admit that to some degree, I am "jumping to conclusions," but I am also trying to read between the lines with the available information. I understand that we don't like to be too negative here, but at some point we have to start facing the facts. My interpretation may be totally off base, but I am trying to view the situation realistically.

We have many reasons to be optimistic as the tests with the light rover begin. I also look forward to the planned, long-drive tests which have apparently been delayed until after the light tests have concluded. The long-drive tests will be the acid tests for this rover. The people operating these machines are the best our planet has to offer, so I am certain that if anyone can extract Spirit from this pit, they will be able to. All I was trying to suggest is that the previous month's worth of testing must not have provided a clear escape route, hence, a new set of tests with the lighter rover is called for.

ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 22 2009, 11:32 PM) *
All I was trying to suggest is that the previous month's worth of testing must not have provided a clear escape route, hence, a new set of tests with the lighter rover is called for.

Did you consider that the plan all along might have been to test the snot out of the instrument laden rover for a month or more, and then when a solution was found they would run through the entire process again with the lighter rover? In fact if anyone were to ask me I'd add a third round where the lighter rover would be tested on a lighter weight or less dense soil.
Tman
QUOTE (HughFromAlice @ Aug 22 2009, 11:34 PM) *
I have been thinking about true colour, but I've only just started thinking about it

It's still guessing, I think. Difficult to guess the color with the indirect infos we get and shifting lighting conditions make it even harder. On Mars we get a much thinner Atmosphere with more dust in it (that should scatter blue light around the sun like the "blue" moon here) and the sun is less bright over a reddish environment.

Speaking of dust, hopefully too the now more amount of dust in the air will not hit (too much). Power is needed whether she get out here or have to stay through the winter - however it seems to be a good place for cleaning events here.
BrianL
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 23 2009, 02:33 AM) *
Did you consider that the plan all along might have been to test the snot out of the instrument laden rover for a month or more, and then when a solution was found they would run through the entire process again with the lighter rover? In fact if anyone were to ask me I'd add a third round where the lighter rover would be tested on a lighter weight or less dense soil.

Going back to Paolo's comments in June, there seems to be a need to "match" the test bed to the soil mixture to replicate the behaviour being exhibited on Mars. Given that, I'm unclear as to how putting TeeBee Lite into the same soil as TeeBee would better simulate what Spirit might do given the same commands. I hope Paolo can come back and shed some light on this.
elakdawalla
I was wondering the same thing. (And also wondering why Paolo hasn't been around -- apart from the obvious possibility that maybe he's just really busy.)
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (BrianL @ Aug 23 2009, 07:24 AM) *
I'm unclear as to how putting TeeBee Lite into the same soil as TeeBee would better simulate what Spirit might do given the same commands.

They are trying to replicate the "behavior" of the rover as it became embedded in the soil since they can never duplicate the actual conditions. If they had a few tons of the exact same soil in Pasadena it wouldn't do them much good because the soil itself would be 2.6 times as heavy as it is on Mars and therefore more compact with different mechanical properties (and that doesn't take into account whatever effect the 100 times atmospheric pressure might have on the soil properties). It's not possible to recreate those conditions so they are instead using trial and error to create conditions where the test rover behaves as the one on Mars did when it got stuck. Once they do that there is an assumption that the rover behavior in the extrication process worked out in Pasadena will likewise be duplicated on Mars,

Paolo mentioned that this is what they did with purgatory. At first they tried the rover that weighed 38% of the actual rover, assuming it would behave the same as the rover on Mars was behaving. But it did not. They couldn't get the lighter rover to embed itself in the test dune the way the real rover did at Purgatory. So they switched to the heavier rover and a different soil mix and eventually they achieved an analogous ratio of rover mass to soil density that worked in the test bed. But you have to remember that analogous relationship worked at that place at that time with those mixtures. The situation at Gusev is far different. So they are touching all their bases with the lighter rover just to be certain that some disastrous consequence might not come from whatever they have planned.

I personally am still in favor of them researching some exotic mixture of terrestrial materials to create an extremely light mixture for the testbed as the final test with the stripped down rover.
nprev
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 23 2009, 07:47 AM) *
(also wondering why Paolo hasn't been around -- apart from the obvious possibility that maybe he's just really busy.)

Me too. Seems like the testing is really in high gear right now, so I'm betting on the obvious possibility. IIRC, he was running this show.
Fran Ontanaya
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 23 2009, 05:53 PM) *
an extremely light mixture for the testbed

Aerogel. It can't get lighter than that. Funny thing is that Spirit is carrying some as insulator.
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 23 2009, 02:33 AM) *
Did you consider that the plan all along might have been to test the snot out of the instrument laden rover for a month or more, and then when a solution was found they would run through the entire process again with the lighter rover?

No, I honestly didn't consider that, Dan, because I doubt that was the plan from the beginning. With problems like this one can never know how the testing will turn out, so they must proceed one step at a time. I'm sure if the initial tests went extremely well there would have been a few follow-up tests to be certain, and then they would probably have begun extraction maneuvers on Mars.

I suppose the cleaning events in early July would have removed a lot of pressure to rush things, and perhaps encourage more extensive testing. Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyone that my hunch was correct. I'm sure everyone can come to their own conclusions about the SSTB-lite testing.
djellison
There is a difference between the testing going badly (i.e. no extraction) and the testing going well ( i.e. extraction) but not replicating the vehicle dynamics as best as they think they can.

That's what they've got to do - get the ISIL to match Gusev as well as possible.
MahFL
That sunset, from yesterday...is really amazing.

wheel.gif wheel.gif
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (MahFL @ Aug 24 2009, 10:23 PM) *
That sunset

Yes, I'm still excited by that sunset. And still grateful to Squyres et al. After showing the little movie I did to non-astronomy orientated friends and getting lots of oohs and aahs, I decided to upgrade it a bit (music track - pic of Spirit in the test bed, map of Gusev etc etc) and put it on YouTube.

Type in: Sunset August Mars

To Peter (Tman) - learning from what you did, I chucked the times in to the YouTube movie for starters. Will probably work on improving the colour, smoothness etc a bit as soon as I have spare time in the coming days and post a version 3. As for 'true' colour - YouTube - flv files etc is a bit different yet again!

briv1016
Power down to 392 watt-hours on sol 2006.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/spotlight/20090825a.html
Tesheiner
Ouch! Fortunate to have had those cleaning events boosting the energy up to 900Wh, otherwise...

From that same status report: "The team is aiming to start sending drive commands to Spirit in September.".
Tman
Yikes, that's a lot decrease and abruptly. Well it seems the regional storm getting not worse and abates already. We can hope for... more than ~600 again?

I was up for a try on the new lovely dramatic sunset from Spirit
Deimos
Optical depth is above 2.5, highest it's been since 1287. The big unknown is whether it comes back down mostly by advection of the storm away from Spirit (reasonably likely) or from falling in place (some will sure, but this isn't nearly as extensive as the sol ~1250 storms). The panels are clean now, but the dust will fall somewhere...
climber
Emily visited the Rover Test Bed yesterday. Make sure you read her very valuable report here: http://planetary.org/blog/
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (climber @ Aug 27 2009, 04:55 AM) *
Emily visited the Rover Test Bed valuable report

Yes, v interesting read. I thought this sums it up well.....

"......extricating Spirit could not be done with one basic motion as had worked for getting Opportunity out of Purgatory; it's going to be more complicated than that with Spirit. So now they are being very, very methodical, doing every possible test on Earth, before they begin to slowly, methodically, carefully drive the rover on Mars to try to get free of Troy".

Patience required. It can be done but very little room for error. IMO the Spirit team will succeed.

ElkGroveDan
Thanks for that report Emily (wiping envious drool off my chin). It's good to hear that they have been proceeding very much as we had expected.
akuo
This has probably been explained in this thread already, but I am sort of unclear about it, so please excuse me.

Is it true that they are actually going to push FORWARD towards Von Braun, instead of trying the extraction back towards known territory?

Anyway, if the overall plan of the basic direction of extraction is known, this could be added in the extraction FAQ.
fredk
I believe that forward extraction plan was mentioned before, but with the new testing they're doing now, I'd think which way they extract will depend on the results of the new tests.
BrianL
I don't think this has been raised as an issue before, but...

If they continue toward Von Braun, at some point the stuck wheel is likely to end up off the hard surface it currently drags along, and into the churned up soil where the leading wheels have been digging away. Wouldn't this cause it to create even more drag on the rover?
fredk
From the latest Spirit update:
As of Sol 2007 (Aug. 25, 2009), Spirit's solar-array energy production was precipitously down to 322 watt-hours, with a large increase in the atmospheric opacity (tau) to 2.61. The dust factor declined to 0.658

Yikes! That 66% dust factor is down from 83% last week! ph34r.gif
fredk
You can see the effect of the duststorm with these before-and-during images. First note the shadows in these hazcams:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...E5P1131L0M1.JPG
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...E5P1131L0M1.JPG
And compare the horizons in these navcams:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...E5P1561L0M1.JPG
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...E5P1561L0M1.JPG
Astro0
Let's not get too worried about the dust storm or the drive direction nor the strategies that the rover drivers may employ to Free Spirit.
I think that Spirit has found her own way to get free! rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
Click to view attachment
Stu
You're a very, very naughty boy!

Love it! smile.gif
nprev
laugh.gif ...yeah, I'd have to call that a constructive technique!
alan
Official version of Calypso pan has been released
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre.../20090826a.html
Oersted
How I wish Spirit was *just going through a rocky patch*... - This quicksand has proven so much worse!
briv1016
I guess because of the time between updates the new Free Spirit video went un-noticed.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/freespirit/index.cfm
JayB
fyi

"The team working on extracting Spirit from Troy is not at JPL today since a one-day delay in those operations will not impact the rover,"

(due to fire evac)

http://www.space.com/news/090831-jpl-wildfire-update.html
fredk
Reading the shadows, it looks like the skies are starting to clear as of sol 2012. Look at the contrast between sundial shadow and sundial. It was lowest (dustiest sky) around sols 2007-2008, and has recovered quite a bit by 2012. Of course the times of day aren't the same, these are stretched jpegs, etc etc, but this does look promising.
Click to view attachment
There's still the big question of where will all the dust in the air settle...

Edit: updated animation to include pre-storm 1994 image, to show that we're still not down to pre-storm levels.
Tesheiner
It does look promising, indeed.
Now, if someone has the latest tau figures to confirm this trend...
fredk
There are some power numbers in the latest Planetary Society update:
Though its power dropped from more than 900 watt-hours at the top of the month to a low of 322 watt-hours last week, in the past few days things have improved, reported Sharon Laubach... Over the weekend, the rover's power increased to a healthy 487 watt-hours, she reported via email today

Also, this interesting info on using simulations to help extract Spirit that I hadn't heard before:
The MER project created a virtual rover before launch using a commercial interactive, motion simulation software called ADAMS. "We're dusting it off," said Arvidson, pun intended, "and updating it." The plan is to put the virtual rover through the same maneuvers as the ground rovers and "run simultaneous equations" for kinematic, static, quasi-static, and dynamic simulations. Then, they will compare all the results, and pick the moves that they have calculated and qualified as being the most likely to get Spirit unstuck from Ulysses and out of Troy as safely as possible and onto its next destinations.
Deimos
Tau peaked on 2007 around 2.6, fell dramatically from 2009 to 2011 and is about 0.9 on 2013. It was under 0.5 before the storm. The dust appears to have simply moved elsewhere, but of course some would have accumulated on the panels during the brief storm.
BrianL
Are the winds still blowing?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.