Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (Trying to) Leave WH3 Behind
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Spirit
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
imipak
Another dust devil: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/na...CJP1561L0M1.JPG (and moving faintly across the next few images I think?)
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 31 2009, 10:52 PM) *
Yes, just positioning for the final climb, I think.
Yep, apparently a slight change in trajectory prior to a hopeful HPI (Home Plate Insertion), I think. cool.gif

QUOTE (imipak @ Feb 1 2009, 09:44 AM) *
Another dust devil...
Is it only me, or are these whirlwinds approaching more closely, more recently?
djellison
I don't think they're moving 'this way'. Just more of them as the season moves on, thus more chance of seeing one that is closer than before.
sattrackpro
QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 2 2009, 01:30 AM) *
I don't think they're moving 'this way'.

My thought is that Spirit should move toward a spot where a cleaning would be most likely. Can you recall instances of winds moving over Home Plate, and how many 'cleaning' events took place while there? (My memory is faulty, but I can vaguely remember only one.)

Maybe that isn't an option, but if closer to full power could be restored, I think the possibility of getting to 'the promised land' - or nearer to it - could be again looked at.
djellison
They're too random and rare to be stated as likely at X location. We're less than 25m from where we had significant cleaning a year ago. We've had them in the hills, we've had them on the slopes, we've had them on the flat.
BrianL
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 31 2009, 10:52 PM) *
Yes, just positioning for the final climb, I think.

According to the latest update, more of an unlucky encounter:

The drive on Sol 1806 covered about 30 centimeters (1 foot). The rover team had planned a longer drive, but Spirit stopped short, apparently from the right front wheel encountering the partially buried rock visible next to that wheel.

Tesheiner
There's another attempt in today's schedule (1809).
RobertEB
Replaced in-line image with a link - Mod

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...DHP0713L0M1.JPG

Nice shot.

Those solar panels really need a cleaning blink.gif
fredk
Also in the latest update:
A diagnostic test on Sol 1805 provided an evaluation of how accurately Spirt's accelerometers sense the rover's orientation or attitude. The testing was a follow-up to Spirit's mistaken calculation of where to expect to see the sun on Sol 1802. The sol 1805 results indicate the accelerometers may have a bias of about 3 degrees. This would explain why Spirit pointed a camera about three degrees away from the sun's actual position on Sol 1802.

Maybe, to anthropomorphize our friend Spirit, she's feeling a little dizzy after being tilted at wh3 for so long and then abruptly returning to level ground. blink.gif wink.gif
Tesheiner
Some fresh images on the web from sol 1809. Spirit is inching her way to the top of Home Plate.
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/re...E4P1314R0M1.JPG
fredk
There's some very interesting information in the new batch of Spirit updates. In this one, it says:
Spirit is also at some of the highest tilts of the mission and very nearly at the angle of repose. When the slope exceeds the angle of repose, dust, sand and other granular material slide downward. Spirit has been trying to take advantage of the steep tilt by spinning the middle wheels before driving to shake dust off the arrays. Engineers hope that as the wheel cleats bounce on the rocks, they will shake the solar arrays and cause dust to slide down and off. Once Spirit achieves a flatter tilt, this strategy will be less effective.

It appears they tried this not long before sol 1772, according to this quote:
Sols 1772: ...The rover took... a quarter-frame, panoramic-camera image of the spacecraft deck to see if vibrations during recent drives had dislodged any dust.

This must be the explanation for the dust movement on the solar panels that we talked about at the time! Looking at those images again, it does appear that the dust movement is consistent with the downslope direction.

Didn't someone on UMSF suggest they try something like this?
Shaka
I suggested they lean the IDD arm on the edge of the solar array, and spin the RAT or brush. I wouldn't have expected this to work with the wheels because they are too well balanced and turn too slowly. Who knows? Wear and tear on the RAT should have thrown it out of balance by now.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (fredk @ Feb 4 2009, 01:29 PM) *
Didn't someone on UMSF suggest they try something like this?

Apart from "why didn't you include windshield wipers on the deck" this is probably the most common question I get asked ;-)

Paolo
fredk
QUOTE (Shaka @ Feb 4 2009, 10:40 PM) *
I wouldn't have expected this to work with the wheels because they are too well balanced and turn too slowly.

I'd think that the middle wheels were contacting the ground at this time, so even though they spin slowly and are well balanced, you could get abrupt jolts to the rover, for example when a wheel cleat loses contact with a piece of rock and the wheel suddenly drops down a bit.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (fredk @ Feb 4 2009, 02:31 PM) *
I'd think that the middle wheels were contacting the ground at this time, so even though they spin slowly and are well balanced, you could get abrupt jolts to the rover, for example when a wheel cleat loses contact with a piece of rock and the wheel suddenly drops down a bit.

That's what I would have expected. Alas the accelerometers reported very little shaking even when all 5 wheels were moving.

Paolo
djellison
Who knew that we'd need to turn up the motors to 11 to shake dust off arrays smile.gif
Oersted
And here's the reference for that reference... smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d54UU-fPIsY
diane
When the dust on the solar panels starts forming into dunes, then we'll know we're in trouble.
Shaka
Well, now that you mention it, Diane...Latest NavCam
nprev
Boy howdy...A beautiful yet disturbing shot. May random chance favor her with one hell of an opportune gust...
Stu
Is that the offending "partly buried rock" over there, among all the torn-up dirt..?

Click to view attachment
mhoward

Sol 1811 116x90 degree perspective projection

Floyd
Looks like we are almost up. Some slipping, but almost there.
Navcam
RearHazcam
BrianL
With the mad dash across HP set to begin soon (he says with hope), the question comes to mind...

Do we know there is a safe way down off HP at the south end?
Phil Stooke
I Google Marsed that issue and it looks like a nice slope down at the junction between the plate and the ridge along its southern side. That area was imaged in stereo to plan a descent, on sol 1348-50.

Phil
fredk
I could see at least a few good routes off of HP. At the southernmost part of HP, there's basically no dropoff as you exit from HP.

The first exit route is between Low and SW ridges (see Tesheiner's map). Here's the view from sol 1337; we'd go straight into the middle of this view and then turn to the right:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...FUP0716R0M1.JPG

The second is just west of the high point of SW ridge, though it's a bit hard to know what the south side of SW ridge will be like. This route would be into the left side of this frame:

Finally, a twist on the previous route would be to go a bit farther west and taste the outcrop rock of "the saddle":
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...JAP1907R0M1.JPG
Gray
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Feb 10 2009, 12:19 AM) *
"Google Marsed" ...

Now there's an awkward verb.
Phil Stooke
Awkward, maybe - but I wanted to be the first person to use it.

Phil
Tesheiner
Ouch! Getting on top of HP won't be an easy task.
Last drive moved the rover just a few cms and the LF wheel started to dig in the sand.
Click to view attachment -> Click to view attachment
Floyd
Paolo--can you give us some expert insight? Spirit will have front wheels on the top in only 2 to 3 feet of driving. Do you plan to keep moving slowly ahead even with the digging in, or will some more complex maneuver be necessary?

RoverDriver
QUOTE (Floyd @ Feb 11 2009, 05:04 AM) *
Paolo--can you give us some expert insight? Spirit will have front wheels on the top in only 2 to 3 feet of driving. Do you plan to keep moving slowly ahead even with the digging in, or will some more complex maneuver be necessary?

I have to look at the entire telemetry before I can suggest a course of action but the FHAZ does not look good.

Paolo
Tesheiner
The rover's positioning data (x, y, z) suggest it was expected to drive about 60cm but moved only 10cm. 85% slip factor.
Stu
Latest 3D view... nice depth of field in this one, I think...

http://stugallery.files.wordpress.com/2009...eb11-spirit.jpg
BrianL
Would the lay of the land permit a more angled approach, much as Oppy needed to get out of Eagle crater?
Floyd
Thanks Paolo. You know there are a few thousand back seat drivers here, so we really appreciate getting the thoughts of a real driver. laugh.gif
RoverDriver
QUOTE (BrianL @ Feb 11 2009, 07:34 AM) *
Would the lay of the land permit a more angled approach, much as Oppy needed to get out of Eagle crater?

That's what we are trying to do. Climb cross-slope. It worked in Tartarus, not sure if it will work here. We'll see what happens next.

Paolo
BrianL
I suspect the Principles of Universal Balance (I've long been a supporter of PUBs) are at play here. Oppy's incredible driving success is being balanced by Spirit's futility. If you were to hobble Oppy's progress surreptitiously so the universe does not realize what you are up to, then Spirit might be allowed to move more freely.

I think it's worth a try.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (BrianL @ Feb 11 2009, 01:24 PM) *
I suspect the Principles of Universal Balance (I've long been a supporter of PUBs) are at play here. Oppy's incredible driving success is being balanced by Spirit's futility.

#include <std-smileys.h>

Hey, hey, hey! Who are you calling futile! When was the last time you tried to tow a caravan uphill on a 20 degrees slope , parking brake set ... with a MOPED?

Paolo
mhoward
HOORAY! Only 30 WHR additional, but we'll take it! Via marsroverdriver

CosmicRocker
Hurrah! It may be only 30 additional WHrs, but the boost apparently doubles our discretionary spending allotment. smile.gif

Thanks for that welcomed news.
Tesheiner
On the other hand, today's images are not good at all. The LF wheel is still sinking...
Click to view attachment

Here's an animated gif with the pictures from the last three driving sols.
Click to view attachment
BrianL
QUOTE (fredk @ Feb 9 2009, 06:33 PM) *
The first exit route is between Low and SW ridges (see Tesheiner's map). Here's the view from sol 1337; we'd go straight into the middle of this view and then turn to the right:

Speaking firmly entrenched in the back seat, Paolo...

What about heading for Fred's mentioned exit point by staying off HP, rounding the horn and zipping down Silica Valley? Is this route under consideration?
djellison
We are currently on the route previously used to get to Silica Valley. We cut the corner of Home Plate back in the Sol 767-774 range. That was, of course, before we had the FR failure.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tm-...MERA_A906_3.jpg

RoverDriver
QUOTE (BrianL @ Feb 13 2009, 07:26 AM) *
Speaking firmly entrenched in the back seat, Paolo...

What about heading for Fred's mentioned exit point by staying off HP, rounding the horn and zipping down Silica Valley? Is this route under consideration?

Yes, we are evaluating it. *my* worries with that path is that a large part of this traverse is unknown. The NE corner of HP is not fully covered by NCAM and PCAM, but mostly south of Silica Valley, west of Tyrone it is an are where we only have HiRISE coverage, no surface imaging and in order to get surface imaging we would need to drive close to the SE corner of HP. And in that case you are pretty much committed to that route. So it represent a risk.

This is my personal view.

Paolo

PS: I don't mind the back seat driving at all. It might be that most of the ideas are already under consideration, but it just takes *one* good idea from you guys to make a difference.
Fran Ontanaya
Heh. Can Spirit climb rocking like a lizard? That would be funny. laugh.gif
Stu
Nice view of Spirit's tracks around Homeplate - and yep, that wheel looks a bit chuttered up...

http://stugallery.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/feb13.jpg

fredk
On sol 1820 Spirit moved a bit back downslope:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/fo...OLP1214L0M1.JPG
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/re...OLP1314R0M1.JPG
I wonder what's next...
Geert
Click to view attachment

Homeplate area through same mathematical filters I used for oppy. Green is good driving, blue is more difficult driving, and red is danger. Offcourse, which one wheel less criteria will be somewhat different for Spirit, but at least it gives the relative values. Red lines on top and bottom of image are processing artifacts.

Click to view attachment

'Dust-filter' as used for Oppy, red notes dusty/sandy area's, however not sure whether this will work out similar on the homeplate area as it does on Meridiani...

Regards,

Geert
fredk
Thanks for these, Geert. Could you summarize what signals you're plotting - FT, variance, etc? And how do you try to detect dust?

Indeed the interpretation is very different for Spirit. Recall that she drove up onto HP on sol 1306, with broken wheel, through a patch you've coloured red...
RoverDriver
QUOTE (fredk @ Feb 17 2009, 08:49 AM) *
Thanks for these, Geert. Could you summarize what signals you're plotting - FT, variance, etc? And how do you try to detect dust?

Indeed the interpretation is very different for Spirit. Recall that she drove up onto HP on sol 1306, with broken wheel, through a patch you've coloured red...

This is quite interesting indeed. The climb on HP on 1306 was on an area that was bedrock and in this plot it is colored green. I do not believe Geert took into account the slopes in this plot, just the terrain type (correct?). That is why we were able to move about Silica Valley while it is painted in red for example.

Paolo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.