Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Investigating The Heatshield
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2
djellison
lyford
Doug -

AWESOME pic right there...

Been going through the directories - did anyone notice any "self portrait reflections?" I couldn't find any...

Not sure if they are done here with the meteorite or going to do more images before heading to Vostok. So maybe the chance is over. sad.gif
DEChengst
Color picture of the fragment that broke off:

Bill Harris
Interesting. Notice the dark discoloration along the diagonal fracture (seam?). I wonder if that was a incipient failure or carbon dust that seeped out post-impact?

--Bill
geoffrey.landis
QUOTE (Pando @ Jan 4 2005, 04:33 AM)
I think they are currently looking for signs of movement due to wind; basically looking for stuff being blown around. I don't know if anyone has actually found any conclusive evidence of it but Doug's gif is certainly quite interesting.

If Geoffrey Landis is reading this forum perhaps he could run this past the atmospheric science folks?

I'm erratic about viewing this bulletin board, I'm afraid sad.gif

I've been looking at the images of bits of mylar from the heat shield moving in the wind, but I hadn't notice that cable moving around until you pointed it out-- if you don't mind, I may copy that animated gif and paste it into my powerpoint of atmospheric phenomena.
djellison
By all means - there's a lot of stuff moving around here smile.gif

http://mer.rlproject.com/hs_wind.gif

Doug
Sunspot
Now that Oppy has approached the heatshield again, any inside info on what they plan on doing there? More MI mosaics perhaps? One thing i'm surprised they haven't done is a trenching operation in the "crater" left by the heatshield.
Pando
Final MIs of the heatsheld were wrapped up on Sol 356, and looks like Oppy's gonna have a nice drive South on Sol 358 (~70 meters or so). wheel.gif wink.gif

I don't think they ever wanted to even approach the heatshield crater, much less trench in there.
There's a lot of crap from the heatshield laying around - best not to stir that up.
dot.dk
MI in action wink.gif

Bill Harris
I don't think they ever wanted to even approach the heatshield crater...

That is too bad. It would have been good data to at least look into that crater to see what the fresh subsurface was like (deeper than a wheel trench). But they are in the left seat and it's their ride...

--Bill
john_s
A postscript for the heatshield, written nearly 200 years before the fact:

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

OK, I admit, "colossal" is a stretch, but otherwise Shelly had it right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.