Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Endeavour Crater
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
climber
Can I give my input?
I was last week climbing in the french alps and went up to "Les Ecrins". Even if my view of "La Barre et le Dôme des Ecrins" is sideway, I found it remarkably close to Cook:
Enjoy:
Click to view attachment
SpaceListener
Nice picture, It is evident, the snow is already melting. On the other hand, this mountain has a very big ripple. Any moment, there would have a snow mass falling.
climber
I don't want to continue OT but this is not only snow, this is a glaciar including 3 seracs. One of them partly broke up 3 weeks ago which obliged climbers to take a more direct path to the summit.
I'm realy wondering if we can get such a view when Oppy will get to Endeavour (if she even will get close to Cook). The actual height of the summit is around 1000 m above the place I took the picture. I'm a bit confused about the height of Cook relative to Endeavour floor.
maxpett
Looks like clays ahead.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0907/19opportunity/

Fran Ontanaya
Well, Oppy may be a little turtle, but after roving all this time now she can see the clay goal over the hill. laugh.gif
SFJCody
Woohoo! smile.gif Don't want to say I told you so, but...

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&p=69014
laugh.gif

OK, I didn't mention clays... but I knew it wasn't more of this sandstone!
mhoward
QUOTE (maxpett @ Jul 20 2009, 04:48 AM) *

Wow! I think a lot of us were hoping for something like this, but this is a pretty amazing announcement. Let's hope she can get there.
nprev
Hmm. I wonder if this will have an immediate effect on traverse planning? Clays are a pretty high-value target; she just might be doing fewer opportunistic (sorry) science stops enroute.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've seen nothing radically different for quite some time. The cobbles seem to be the most enigmatic things, and many of them seem to be meteorites; is there any compelling reason at this point not to accelerate the effort to reach Endeavour?
fredk
QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 20 2009, 10:49 PM) *
is there any compelling reason at this point not to accelerate the effort to reach Endeavour?

Just the RF wheel currents. sad.gif

Also, how old is this crism data? It may very well be that the rover planners have been aware of the clay signatures for some time now.
BuckGalaxy
QUOTE (maxpett @ Jul 20 2009, 02:48 AM) *

You know, it's been over a month and I haven't seen a single other article on this anywhere. Nothing on Space.com, spaceref.com, etc... I may have missed it but has this clay mission been confirmed?
fredk
QUOTE (Bill @ Jun 28 2009, 09:19 AM) *
I think we can barely see a new part of Endeavour in these navcams just on the left of "Cook":
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...G6P1994L0M1.JPG
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...NVP1994L0M1.JPG
Waiting for pancams.

The wait is over. I believe this is the first pancam view of those new very subtle features:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...C7P2401L6M1.JPG
Astro0
The distant horizon in x5vertical exaggeration.
Sol 1987...
Click to view attachment

EDIT: Phil-o-Vision inspired wink.gif
Phil Stooke
Very nice image! Thanks.

Phil
MarsIsImportant
Wow! Even though I know it is a vertical exaggeration, I'm still salivating.

Will we actually get there? My assumption is yes. Given the slow degradation of certain parts of oppy what equipment will still work when we arrive?

I'm especially excited about the clays that were identified from orbit. How much science will be available once we find a handful?
BuckGalaxy
I hear you! I'm more excited about Oppy than I have been in years. I'd love to get more info on the clays exact locations, but so far the only article I could find was the spaceflighttoday article.
Nirgal
QUOTE (MarsIsImportant @ Aug 31 2009, 02:43 AM) *
Will we actually get there?
what equipment will still work when we arrive?

With the recent improvements of the RF-wheel situation I'm very optimistic about that smile.gif

However it probably also depends on how much priority is given to actual driving versus long science stops ...

So it is encouraging to remember that the priority has been clearly set by the Rover's Lead from the beginning of the Trek and re-iterated in the press updates since then:

"Drive, Drive, Drive" Squyres said.

"Opportunity is going for the home run of Endeavour Crater."

http://www.planetary.org/news/2009/0131_Ma...Spirit_and.html ://http://www.planetary.org/news/2009/...pirit_and.html

And I interpret this that it's not about record breaking single-sol drives or such ... Just a couple of months of slow but safe and steady daily progress without much interruptions is all we need to make serious progress towards the destination smile.gif

wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

Astro0
The horizon pan...no stretch.
If someone wants to start identifying craters/features and distances wink.gif
Click to view attachment
BrianL
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Aug 31 2009, 01:47 AM) *
And I interpret this that it's not about record breaking single-sol drives or such ... Just a couple of months of slow but safe and steady daily progress without much interruptions is all we need to make serious progress towards the destination smile.gif

Under the current plan, a couple of months of slow, steady progress will actually take us farther away from the destination. biggrin.gif
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Aug 31 2009, 01:29 PM) *
If someone wants to start identifying craters/features and distances wink.gif
Click to view attachment

Here is your pan with 3x Phil-O, lined up with an inverse polar image of Endeavour/Iazu and with a few guide lines added.

Click to view attachment

James
fredk
Thanks a lot for that Astro and James. This will be a great reference image for identifying old and new features.
Stu
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Aug 31 2009, 03:49 PM) *
Here is your pan with 3x Phil-O, lined up with an inverse polar image of Endeavour/Iazu and with a few guide lines added.

THAT's why I love this place. No sooner had I thought "Wow... I wish I knew which peaks those actually are..." than someone showed me. Great work guys, appreciate it. Quite thrilling to see Endeavour's rim peeking over the horizon, isn't it? smile.gif
ustrax
Couldn't agree more with you Stu but the question here is...
are we there yet?! smile.gif

Nirgal
QUOTE (ustrax @ Aug 31 2009, 06:36 PM) *
are we there yet?! smile.gif

Click to view attachment

SCNR
Nirgal wink.gif

PS.: Cartoon originally made by Ustrax back in the good old "The Abyss" times smile.gif
Robert S
And off we go! I hope Oppy will reach Endeavour crater, it would be a fantastic achivement! Go Oppy!
HughFromAlice
QUOTE (Robert S @ Sep 25 2009, 11:15 PM) *
And off we go!

Welcome Robert! Lucky the atmosphere of Mars is so thin as we won't need goggles over the coming weeks! Seriously - we're on one of the greatest scientific treks of all time and I have to keep pinching myself that we've been asked along for the ride..... pretty well in real time. (I'm a complete sucker for what's over the next hill, here on Earth!!)
Robert S
QUOTE (HughFromAlice @ Sep 27 2009, 01:00 AM) *
Welcome Robert! Lucky the atmosphere of Mars is so thin as we won't need goggles over the coming weeks! Seriously - we're on one of the greatest scientific treks of all time and I have to keep pinching myself that we've been asked along for the ride..... pretty well in real time. (I'm a complete sucker for what's over the next hill, here on Earth!!)

Thank you, HughFromAlice! I just agree to 100%. It is AMAZING to see new raw pictures everyday, to read what you all know about these rovers, and just to try to imagine how advanced, skillfull and amazing all of this is!
I will keep reading alot in these forums, but maybe i will not talk so much as my understanding and knowledge about this is nothing compared to what you guys know. Thank you all for this forum!

// Robert

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.