Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sol 90+
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Stu
Another offering for (cue Sky Sports presenter voice) Phoenix Animation Super Sunday!!!!

"Rolling Sun"

ohmy.gif
jekbradbury
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 31 2008, 01:11 AM) *
If anyone can do it, I think a vertical projection of the imagery would be helpful.

I posted a vertical projection of James's Peter Pan a while back:

Vertical Peter Pan
Tman
QUOTE (Stu @ Aug 31 2008, 12:05 PM) *
Another offering for (cue Sky Sports presenter voice) Phoenix Animation Super Sunday!!!!

Wow! Hoped for such an image row.

Autumn-like weather on Phoenix site?!
Have worked on that very nice sol94 cloud movie:
Doc
Cool movies......

From the looks of it these clouds are heading to the north (the SSI was pointed towards the south horizon).

And the winds seem to be picking up too (is this another sign of the weather changing?) ..... martian Gustav hurricane perhaps? laugh.gif

Stu
Great job, Tman. Much cleaner than my 'dirty' version smile.gif
Tman
Thanks Stu smile.gif

QUOTE (Tman @ Aug 28 2008, 04:56 PM) *
What's the exact meaning of "The camera pointing was..."? Does this correspond to the actual elevation (notional horizon) and azimuth degrees seen from the same point as the camera?

To cut a long story short: In consideration of raw images and probably also some small deformations in that huge mosaic, in PhotoShop, I took the given elev. and azimuth of that sunrise image lg_24930 (el. 5.03164 / az. 13.2373 / FOV 13.8x13.8) and get el. 1.27 and az. 11.87 degrees for the sun in the Peter Pan full res. mosaic. Additionally I made a test with two raw images at az. 280 and 154 degrees and get a dislocation in the azimuth of about 0.1 and 0.5 degrees.
Oersted
QUOTE (James Sorenson @ Aug 31 2008, 11:34 AM) *
This is one of my favorite sofar of the telltale, showing background clouds in the field of view.

Click to view attachment

Oh, wonderful!

I wonder if the team ever considered that the tell-tale imagery could also capture clouds moving in the background, so a relationship between those macro-movements and the tell-tale micro-movements could be inferred?
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (1101001 @ Aug 30 2008, 11:49 PM) *

QUOTE (jekbradbury @ Aug 31 2008, 08:39 AM) *
I posted a vertical projection of James's Peter Pan a while back:

Vertical Peter Pan

Thanks, 1101001. Somehow, I had managed to miss that information.
jekbradbury: I saw your projection when you originally posted it, but apparently I forgot about that. Is there some way we
could get a higher resolution version of that vertical projection? unsure.gif

Yep, James Sorenson, Oersted, and peter59. The rushing clouds behind the swinging telltale really brings Mars home for me.

edited to add an attribution I had missed...

jekbradbury
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Sep 1 2008, 12:49 AM) *
Is there some way we
could get a higher resolution version of that vertical projection? unsure.gif

Here is a 4Kx4K version of the same image.
JPL Phoenix Mission News: Analysis Begins on Deepest Soil Sample (September 1)

About the Stone Soup sample to MECA WCL and the clouds.
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (jekbradbury @ Sep 1 2008, 04:17 PM) *
Here is a 4Kx4K version of the same image.
Many thanks, jekbradbury. That's glorious. smile.gif
jmknapp
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Aug 26 2008, 12:14 AM) *
Has the robotic arm delivered enough samples from enough locations to the various instruments to define the extent of the perchlorate ions, and if indeed there are any perchlorate concentration gradients?

Presumably the current MECA sample from Stone Soup will show if the perchlorate concentrates at deeper levels. Yum, soup from strong oxidizer concentrate. smile.gif

Has any estimate of the concentration of perchlorate in the previous samples been offered?
Ant103
Stone soup at Sol 96 :

And TEGA view with oven#1 partially open (one of the door is not deploy).
hortonheardawho
Sol 98 cloud movie

LB ( Uv ) and RB ( green ) frames were registered and used to create a synthetic color image. No attempt has been made to white balance the images.
Tman
Nice animation Horton!

Hardly to say whether the 3D effect works in cross eyes. Too little topology:

http://www.greuti.ch/phoenix/sol98stereoclouds.gif
TECP: It's dry. Really really dry.

JPL Phoenix Mission News: Spiky Probe on NASA Mars Lander Raises Vapor Quandary (September 4)

A fork-like conductivity probe has sensed humidity rising and falling beside NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander, but when stuck into the ground, its measurements so far indicate soil that is thoroughly and perplexingly dry.

"If you have water vapor in the air, every surface exposed to that air will have water molecules adhere to it that are somewhat mobile, even at temperatures well below freezing," said Aaron Zent of NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif., lead scientist for Phoenix's thermal and electroconductivity probe.
[...]
Preliminary results from the latest insertion of the probe's four needles into the ground, on Wednesday and Thursday, match results from the three similar insertions in the three months since landing.

"All the measurements we've made so far are consistent with extremely dry soil," Zent said. "There are no indications of thin films of moisture, and this is puzzling."

More there.
Stu
Phoenix sure is busy up there...

Click to view attachment

(Sol 99 view of Dodo-Goldilocks trench... mess... post-sample...)
gallen_53
QUOTE (1101001 @ Sep 5 2008, 12:46 AM) *

We know that one of the most common minerals on the surface of Mars is olivine. Olivine rapidly decomposes in the presence of liquid water. Extreme dryness of the regolith is consistent with the presence of olivine.
marsbug
Gallen 53 could you expand on that for me? What I mean is; what is it about the decomposition of olivine that causes dryness? Or do you mean that the presence of olivine is a sign of extreme dryness?

I'm curious that no thin films form at all when the water vapour, presumably coming from the ice beneath, is rising through the soil. It suggests there is something in the soil repelling the water, either a compound or an electrostatic charge...?
Gray
I didn't know that olivine was common in the Martian soils. But then, I didn't know much of anything about their composition. Could you point me towards a reference that describes their mineralogy?
Thanks.
gallen_53
QUOTE (marsbug @ Sep 5 2008, 06:48 PM) *
Gallen 53 could you expand on that for me? What I mean is; what is it about the decomposition of olivine that causes dryness? Or do you mean that the presence of olivine is a sign of extreme dryness?

Olivine is an indicator of extreme dryness. Olivine will rapidly decompose (in geological time) in the presence of liquid water. The Martian surface is very old but there is also lots of olivine. Therefore the Martian surface has been very dry for a long time.

QUOTE (Gray @ Sep 5 2008, 06:49 PM) *
I didn't know that olivine was common in the Martian soils. But then, I didn't know much of anything about their composition. Could you point me towards a reference that describes their mineralogy?

Google is your friend :-) .

http://www.psrd.hawaii.edu/Nov03/olivine.html

http://www.astrobio.net/news/index.php?nam...p;theme=Printer

www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2004/pdf/1043.pdf

http://www.marstoday.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=17025

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivine
marsbug
Thanks! smile.gif
slinted
Not that there wasn't already confirmation, but Spirit actually put her wheels (and instruments) on olivine rich sands back at the El Dorado dune field (see: Recent Results from the Spirit Rover at Gusev Crater, LPSC 2006).
Stu
Animation of the Sun rolling just beneath (I think..?) the horizon on the morning of Sol 101...

(Too big to post here so I hope you don't mind taking a wander over to my Gallery smile.gif )

Also, here's a colourisation of a Sol 100 microscope view...

Click to view attachment

... which is offered purely as an aesthetically-pleasing image; it's been played about with, tweaked and tortured in Photoshop until it begged for mercy, so I'm not suggesting it's colours are accurate, or even that it's remotely useful. I just think it's beautiful! smile.gif
TheChemist
Regarding the olivine suggestion, I am not convinced at all.

I really don't see how a soil layer a few cm thick, which neighbours with water ice below, and spends six months per year covered with water ice, could contain olivine. Since it reacts so easily with water, only olivine hydrolysis products should be there.

Olivine may point to dryness, but this cannot be logically reversed (and olivine was not detected)
All other instruments show that the Phoenix site is not dry.
The puzzle is how can the soil be consistently dry with so much water around ?
How can the soil be dry when we see water condense on the legs of Phoenix ?

I really enjoy the Scherlock Holmes elements this place offers us smile.gif
MECA sees perchlorates, but TEGA does not (so far).
The TC probe points that the soil is dry, while we see the ice even with our own eyes !

I just love a good old mystery smile.gif
Pertinax
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 6 2008, 04:05 AM) *
Animation of the Sun rolling just beneath (I think..?) the horizon on the morning of Sol 101...

Thank you. I love the clouds / haze movement just above the rolling sun! smile.gif

A question for all: has anyone caught any mention of any glimpses of refractive phenomena (from ices) in any of the sky obs? I've not, but then I have not been able to follow the Phoenix as closely as I would prefer either rolleyes.gif .

-- Pertinax
hortonheardawho
sol 100 clouds at sunset movie:

Aussie
QUOTE (TheChemist @ Sep 6 2008, 11:24 AM) *
Regarding the olivine suggestion, I am not convinced at all.

I really don't see how a soil layer a few cm thick, which neighbours with water ice below, and spends six months per year covered with water ice, could contain olivine. Since it reacts so easily with water, only olivine hydrolysis products should be there.
I just love a good old mystery smile.gif

Green Beach in Hawaii demonstrates that Olivine can co-exist with a lot of water for a long time (by our Mayfly yardstick). However, if any of the greenish particles we have seen from OM images are Olivine then given their size and the Martian timescales, it would seem proof positive that the probe is right and the regolith is totally dry. I don't know what the temperature of the permafrost is but I feel that it is cold enough for H2O to be just another rock. While they are not releasing even basic information all we can do is conjecture, but that couple of cm of soil seems to have some pretty impressive properties.
nprev
Speaking from ignorance here (my preferred position! smile.gif ), could this observation be explained by a combination of the facts that 1) water never occurs in the liquid phase here, 2) ice does not chemically interact effectively with soil compounds due to the low temp, and 3) water vapor is in the same boat due to low ambient pressure and temp?

To explain 3) a bit more, even an RH of 100% at an ambient total pressure of 7 mb or so would still seem to be very little water vapor in terms of total mass, and the mean free paths of individual H2O molecules are doubtless much longer than they are at Earth's surface. Frost happens, of course, but that's about the water molecules binding to each other and to the rocks & soil, not electron exchange, so no chemical reactions take place, just phase changes.

That's all probably totally wonky, and in any case my thinking is not well-explained. However, since our direct experience with olivene decomposition is limited to its behavior on our comparatively sopping wet, humid, hot planet with a dense atmosphere, then it makes sense to consider physical factors that might greatly reduce the rate of (or even completely inhibit) chemical activity for such reactions.
marsbug
My ignorance is at least equal to yours here nprev, but I am under the impression that forming frost requires a mobile, or 'liquid' monolayer at the forming surface of the crystals, kept liquid by the pressure of the van der waals forces between the atoms. I think SickNick or Dburt would have some knowledge on whether this is always true. I don't know if any studies have been done to see if frost forms without the monolayer under mars-like conditions?

If it is always true this implies some difference between the surface and near surface material.

Surfaces without thin films of (usually but not always) water experience much higher friction coefficients, as high relief areas, known as asperities, on the two surfaces bond together. This might explain some of the clumping, but not why the clumping seems to lessen over time.

EDIT: Actually it might. If the regolith beneath the surface is ultra dry, and the atmosphere in the soil pores to, then soil freshly removed from the subsurface will have no water monolayers and particles will be held together by cold welds between asperities. After some days exposed to the atmosphere above the surface, which does have some water content, monolayers will start to form, lubricate the particles and hey presto the stickiness goes away.
If there's enough H2O in the Martian air to make that a possibility (no idea myself) then this could be tested by scooping up some subsurface, testing it for monolayers, leaving it in a heap on the deck for a few days then testing it again. If the soil becomes 'damp' after a few days on the deck then we have an explanation in the making and I shall buy myself a new bottle of absinthe! rolleyes.gif END EDIT.

It's been pointed out to me on the the yellow and black rover forum that relative humidity is temperature dependent and would be expected to vary significantly as the temperature changes, as relative humidity is the partial pressure of the water vapour divided by the saturation vapour pressure of water at a given temperature. Is it possible there has been a misinterpretation somewhere, and the change in relative humidity is entirely due to temperature, and little or no vapour is coming off the ice? Again my ignorance of humidity and atmospheric physics s pretty profound
fredk
Sorry if this has been discussed (I'm back from a break), but these sol96 images show the solar panels flapping (presumably due to wind):

http://www.met.tamu.edu/mars/i/SS096EFF904...4_1B300R6M1.jpg
http://www.met.tamu.edu/mars/i/SS096EFF904...5_1B360R6M1.jpg

This is clearly panel movement, since the foreground and background surface are sharp, but the panels are blurred vertically. Have we seen this before?
slinted
QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 7 2008, 08:12 PM) *
This is clearly panel movement, since the foreground and background surface are sharp, but the panels are blurred vertically. Have we seen this before?

Could it just be out of focus, since the panels are further away? R6 is one of the diopter filters. which the SSI vital statistics page lists as having best focus at 1.2 m, in focus from 1 to 1.4 m.
Tman
Can't remember that this was mentioned anywhere. There was already a strong wind at sol94 - see Emily's animation http://planetary.org/blog/article/00001628/ and lots of clouds around in those sols.
Tman
There's such comparable R6 images where it is sharper http://www.met.tamu.edu/mars/i/SS099EFF904...2_1B7C0R6M1.jpg
slinted
Fair enough! I'm convinced blink.gif
ugordan
Wow. I didn't expect that kind of power with Mars' air density... ph34r.gif

It clearly is flapping and not blur as the blur is directed up-down, a regular motion blur pattern with the two amplitude peaks best exposed. One could probably be able to calculate the amplitude fairly straightforwardly from vertical extent of the blur.
Gray
QUOTE (gallen_53 @ Sep 5 2008, 06:06 PM) *

Thanks for the links.
fredk
QUOTE (slinted @ Sep 8 2008, 08:39 AM) *
Could it just be out of focus, since the panels are further away?

To add to ugordan's comment about motion blur, this can't be a focus issue because both the foreground (MECA etc) and the background (surface of Mars) are in good focus, but not the panels in between. No optical system can do that.

The images I linked to have exposures of 714 and 510 milliseconds (I believe those are the units - correct me if I'm wrong). So this is not a gentle flexing of the arrays as the wind varies - they had to flap at least once in a half second.

With this kind of movement in the arrays and wind I wonder if dust is being cleared off. But I suppose the reduction in sunlight will be more important than dust losses for Phoenix.
Oersted
Makes the whole situation up there at the Martian Pole so much more vivid and "real", to see the panels flapping. A bit like the litle tell-tale, but more impressive...
Ipparchus
Why did they aquire another WCL-3 sample(Golden Goose 3)?wasn`t the Golden Goose 2 enough? the upcoming TEGA sample where is going to be from?Stone Soup or Snow White?
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Ipparchus @ Sep 8 2008, 12:29 PM) *
Why did they aquire another WCL-3 sample(Golden Goose 3)?wasn`t the Golden Goose 2 enough?

I'm not aware of this. As far as I know, one sample was delivered to WCL-3 and that's that. Do you have a reference for "Golden Goose 3"?
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Sep 8 2008, 10:46 AM) *
I'm not aware of this. As far as I know, one sample was delivered to WCL-3 and that's that. Do you have a reference for "Golden Goose 3"?

Texas A&M Raw Images
Sol 102: Document GG3 sample and transfer to WCL3; remote sensing
[...]
Sol 096: Document GG2 delivery to WCL-3, TEGA door 1; remote sensing; night science
Tman
QUOTE (Oersted @ Sep 8 2008, 06:43 PM) *
Makes the whole situation up there at the Martian Pole so much more vivid and "real", to see the panels flapping. A bit like the litle tell-tale, but more impressive...

"real" like this wink.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (1101001 @ Sep 8 2008, 02:04 PM) *
Sol 102: Document GG3 sample and transfer to WCL3; remote sensing
[...]
Sol 096: Document GG2 delivery to WCL-3, TEGA door 1; remote sensing; night science

Curious. There must be some mistake. huh.gif
peter59
Great days for MECA OM team. Many high quality OM images.
Sol 103
Sol 101
Sol 099
Stu
QUOTE (peter59 @ Sep 8 2008, 08:06 PM) *
Great days for MECA OM team. Many high quality OM images.Sol 099

Wow... very nice... couldn't resist a couple of probably-bear-no-relation-to-actual-colour-at-all colourisations...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
climber
QUOTE (ugordan @ Sep 8 2008, 12:58 PM) *
Wow. I didn't expect that kind of power with Mars' air density...
It clearly is flapping ...

Trying to take off ?
elakdawalla
Did anybody else notice this? I didn't see it until just this morning. Looks like TEGA has suffered some kind of anomaly. It's not clear to me from the story if they're going to be able to get what they want to get out of an ice-rich sample or not now. It's New Scientist, so take it with a grain of salt.

Mars lander to squirrel away soil in advance of winter

--Emily
mars loon
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Sep 8 2008, 11:00 PM) *
I didn't see it until just this morning. Looks like TEGA has suffered some kind of anomaly. It's not clear to me from the story if they're going to be able to get what they want to get out of an ice-rich sample or not now. It's New Scientist, so take it with a grain of salt.[
--Emily

my guess is this anomoly is the gas flow problem reported in Aug 31 press release. hopefully not a new problem. ken
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/08_29_pr.php

"The team is currently working to diagnose an intermittent interference that has become apparent in the path for gases generated by heating a soil sample in the Thermal and Evolved-Gas Analyzer to reach the instrument's mass spectrometer. Vapors from all samples baked to high temperatures have reached the mass spectrometer so far, however data has shown that the gas flow has been erratic, which is puzzling the scientists."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.