Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCL (Wet Chemistry Lab) sample
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2
Juramike
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Jun 28 2008, 05:55 PM) *
At home, I have to "make" soil for my flower and wildflower gardens. Except for paltry 6" of organic "A" horizon, most of my soil is a clay soil derived from the weathering of Pennsylvanian sandtones and shales, so I have to add lime, organics, sand and nutrients to the mix.

I hear that. I've made a garden from Piedmont gray clay (like red clay but lacking in iron). 200 million years of NOT MUCH HAPPENING leached most the nutrients out of the native soil. And it's a natural pH 4.5 as well.

But I'll bet Mars doesn't have mosquitos, ticks, Japanese beetles, squirrels, or deer.

Sign me up.

Shaka
Daisy World, here we come! cool.gif
edstrick
On a world with a probable history of a magma ocean and with well differentiated crust, mantle and core, one problem I've thought of won't be a problem.

Heavy metals.

Would the heavy metal content of a chondritic soil or more specifically a carbonaceous chondrite soil cause problems?

In California, there's serpentinite and related terrains formed of up-thrust mangled bits of upper mantle. Lots of plants DO NOT like to grow there. They have decidedly special biomes growing on them. CChondrite soils would be worse!
Bill Harris
I don't know much about heavy-metal content of chondrites. Do you have references?

Although the Mar's convective mantle engine appears to be inactive nowadays, it may have been more active earlier. And certainly Mars has been hot and is differentiated.

--Bill
SickNick
Full inline quote removed - Admin.

An Undifferentiated Chondrite would have much more heavy metal content. All those Siderophile and chalcophile elements are concentrated in the core of the Earth.

Also, look at the fundamental differences of Earth and Mars. However you look at the situation, the bulk density is different, the chemical activity is different. Mars is made of different stuff then Earth is, and then it evolved different again. Never make the mistake of assuming that Mars is "like Earth"...
dvandorn
That's sort of a matter of degree, isn't it, Nick? In the great range of like to unlike, Mars is far more like Earth than it is, say, like Jupiter. Or Neptune. Or even Titan.

-the other Doug
jmknapp
Just saw this article in the Telegraph:

Martian dirt is rich in nutrients and capable of sustaining Earthly life, such as turnips and asparagus, surprised scientists announced.

But as I understood the press telecon, they've found certain trace elements, not all the nutrients necessary for growing plants (i.e., NPK). Seems like the press is being "led down the garden path" by these press conferences.
Juramike
Major elements and trace elements (in order), required for plant growth:

C. HOPKNS CaFe Mg B Mn CuZn ClMo

("C. Hopkins Cafe, managed by mine cousin Clomo.")

It will be really interesting to see the quantitification of trace elements detected (I assume in ppm).

And if there are heavy metals? No problem. Just plant ferns just before your martian bean crop as in this article/video.
(Bad luck that most ferns are acid-loving, but maidenhair ferns like pH 7-8)

-Mike
antipode
The bizarre flora of long isolated New Caledonia is a fascinating example of long term adaptation to soils rich in often nasty heavy metals and other baddies.

p
nprev
laugh.gif ...cool mnemonic, Mike!

This whole spin-up is a bit unfortunate, though; expecting to be bombarded with questions from my co-workers tomorrow (been gone for the last 2 weeks attending a class). After all, plants have been grown in lunar soil, but that does not imply that life arose on the Moon, merely that terrestrial life needs certain stuff to exist & the Moon happens to have it. Big difference.
Ipparchus
Irrelevant and full in line quote of last post removed.

Did they deliver at the weekend a sample to the optical microscope or to the Wet Chemistry Laboratory? if not,when do they plan to do this?
akuo
There is a dark image here, but by adjusting brightness and contrast, I think I can just see some material in the 2nd WCL cell:
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_10401.jpg

I guess the RAC view is better :-)

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_10339.jpg

There seems to be some stuff at least on the side of the collector, but I wonder if it's enough.

I presume this is from the soil/ice interface layer?
bergadder
"
July 7, 2008 -- NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander used its Robotic Arm to deliver a second sample of soil for analysis by the spacecraft's wet chemistry laboratory, data received from Phoenix on Sunday night confirmed. "

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/07_07_pr.php
TheChemist
Some tidbits from the July 1st entry of Dr Tom Pike's diary for the BBC News website :
"In particular, if the soil is alkaline this may go a long way to explaining the Viking experiment. Fifteen years ago, one of my Phoenix colleagues, Richard Quinn, worked out that just such a soil would explain the Viking results."

and
"The data streams down, filing up our computer screens with scans from all the sensors. There's a quiet smile on Richard's face as he concentrates on just one of these lines - the soil is just about as alkaline as he expected.

It looks like one of the biggest mysteries from previous missions to Mars has been cracked by Phoenix. It was the chemical reactions of nutrients with the chemistry of the soil, not life, that Viking saw back in 1976. "

Before touchdown, Dr. Quinn was quoted in an article at the SETI site :
When asked, "What would be the best possible outcome from these experiments?" Quinn replied, "A sample with high salt content and reasonable ph which would reveal a history of water, coupled with results from the Thermal Evolved Gas Analyzer that found organics in the soil." Then, you'd have both water and organics. Perhaps evidence of life?

So, blink.gif
If the alkaline pH supports the "superoxides in soil" Viking explanation, why were teran gardeners encouraged to have high hopes for martian asparagus ? Anyone care to enlighten us ?
marsbug
I'd guess that the alkaline soil is one piece of evidence in favour of the superoxide idea, but there are a lot more to be found before it's proven- such as the superoxides themselves! Over simplified reporting, although i may be judging prematurely, having not read the thing..

Edit: now I've read it I think its less oversimplification, more two tentative interpretations on preliminary results, as always more data needed!
gallen_53
QUOTE (TheChemist @ Jul 13 2008, 11:20 AM) *
If the alkaline pH supports the "superoxides in soil" Viking explanation, why were teran gardeners encouraged to have high hopes for martian asparagus ? Anyone care to enlighten us ?

Perhaps because it's easier to sell a Mars program as a "search for life" rather than as a "search for superoxides"?
Shaka
Unless you show that the latter "get your laundry superbright!! "
rolleyes.gif

sad.gif It's tough waiting for data.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.