Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TEGA (Thermal Evolved Gas Analyzer)
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Littlebit
GCMS's/pyrolysis systems have a lot of fine tubing that has to be heated with itty bity wires...shaking is an iffy proposition.

I was involved in the construction of a remotely operated GCMS/pyrolysis a few years ago. We burned up a couple of heaters before we got it put together right...and a couple after. Then we got the system working and mothballed it. I would bet a pound-on-a-penny another heater will fail when it is fired up again...and all we subjected the system to is mice.

Solar Fan
QUOTE (ngunn @ Jun 25 2008, 01:09 AM) *
A question. The oven door mechanism was undoubtedly tested under martian conditions, but was the whole assembly subjected to the stresses expected during flight and then tested under martian conditions? Would that be normal practice? (I'm totally ignorant here, just curious.)

Aerospace lives (and dies) by the mantra: Test Like You Fly and even uses the acronym TLYF commonly. So, "typical" testing would be "shake and bake" in that order, so as to simulate the launch, entry, landing and on-surface operations.

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jun 25 2008, 07:51 AM) *
My guess is that this is the result of a tight budget limiting testing.

Considering this was mothballed from MSP '01, the Phoenix mission was supposed to benefit greatly by expanded test phase durations.

No idea what the source of the problem is, but I'm sure the TEGA team is focused and working their hardest to solve or work with these anomalies.

Of course, when you think about it, their first bake was a success! There may not have been water ice, but that's science...
lyford
QUOTE (Solar Fan @ Jun 26 2008, 09:15 PM) *
Considering this was mothballed from MSP '01, the Phoenix mission was supposed to benefit greatly by expanded test phase durations.

Speaking of mothballed spacecraft, I wonder if they used the same springs in the doors as the Galileo used in its high gain antenna.... biggrin.gif
Though I don't think the instruments were locked up in storage that long?
Pavel
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jun 26 2008, 02:01 PM) *
I think it's evident from all post sample deilvery images to date that sample will fall over the slit and the end opening no matter where they "aim". laugh.gif

The worst case scenario would be the TEGA doors closing under the weight of the soil without anything getting into the oven. If anything is wrong with the springs (i.e. it's not just stuck hinges), it's entirely possible that a sample weighing as much as the doors could close them.
akuo
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 27 2008, 05:30 PM) *
If anything is wrong with the springs (i.e. it's not just stuck hinges), it's entirely possible that a sample weighing as much as the doors could close them.
I think that's quite unlikely considering how much dirt there is on top of the partly opened door of oven #4.
Keatah
From the looks of all the pics wouldn't it seem like the soil worked itself into the spaces between the door and the frame of the instrument? That would be enough gum up the works. Like throwing sand into a mechanical clock! Probably built TEGA to too close tolerances.
fredk
From the latest update:
The next sample delivered to [TEGA] will be ice-rich.

A team of engineers and scientists assembled to assess TEGA after a short circuit was discovered in the instrument has concluded that another short circuit could occur when the oven is used again.

“Since there is no way to assess the probability of another short circuit occurring, we are taking the most conservative approach and treating the next sample to TEGA as possibly our last,” said Peter Smith, Phoenix’s principal investigator.

The plan is to use oven number zero. Let's hope this works...
centsworth_II
QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 2 2008, 04:57 PM) *
The plan is to use oven number zero. Let's hope this works...

Also from the latest update:
"Delivery to any TEGA oven involves a vibration action, and turning on the vibrator in any oven will cause oven number 4 to vibrate as well."

And from Emily's Planetary Society Blog:
"I had thought that the short circuit in oven #4 no longer posed any problem to the instrument.... But if I understand this update correctly, it appears that when they go through their sample delivery routine and vibrate a different oven (in this case, oven #0, which is located across the "rooftop" of the TEGA instrument from oven #4)... the vibration of oven #0 may trigger the short circuit problem in oven #4, with unknown implications for the health of TEGA."

I'm also confused. If vibrations transmitted from another oven to oven #4 can cause a problem, why use an adjacent oven? Why not use one of the most distant ovens, like #3 or #7? This assumes the following pattern of ovens:
7 6 5 4
3 2 1 0
jmjawors
I don't know that I'd consider oven #0 to be "adjacent," but I'm not engineer enough to know the redundant wiring between these ovens. We were told, quite explicitly, that the short circuit in oven #4 has no bearing on any other ovens. That's the source of Emily's confusion, and mine as well. I guess they've learned something new since then, and hopefully they've also learned not to speak in such explicit terms before they fully understand all the data they have before them.
elakdawalla
Well, if we wait for them to "fully understand" what's going on with TEGA, then they'd never tell us anything. What they're telling us is what they believe to be true (or most likely to be true) at the time. They are doing their best to work through the problems with TEGA from millions of miles away, as quickly as they can so they can still pull out mission success. This is, in part, why it's premature to ask questions like how TEGA could have been sent to Mars with a component that was "not built to flight specifications" -- I am sure that they still don't quite understand the nature of the problems, and they are way too busy trying to figure out how to operate it "as is." Problems like the ones TEGA's having try our patience, but they also bring out the best from the flight engineers. At heart, any engineer loves to solve a problem, and these are some of the world's best engineers. If anyone can pull success from the jaws of failure, it's these guys.

--Emily
centsworth_II
It's a balancing act for sure. If we want mission teams to reveal preliminary information we have to let them know we appreciate it and that we understand that such information is subject to revision. That's part of the excitement of feeling like we are along for the ride.
jmjawors
Now don't get me wrong, Emily. I'm pulling like heck for this instrument to have eight fulls ovens, not just two. And I know that the instrument is in the right hands. I have absolutely no doubt about this team's abilities and ingenuity.

My point is more about what is being said about the problem. We were told something about this short circuit that, it appears, was not entirely correct. I see one of two options: the problem was not fully understood and yet a blanket statement was made about TEGA's overall health for the press, or that it was understood and the problem was willfully misrepresented. I know it wasn't the latter option. But just like the idea of growing asparagus on Mars may not have represented their findings in the best possible way, perhaps this is a "lesson learned" about how to talk optimistically about overcoming spacecraft problems without misrepresenting those problems. That's all I'm saying.
Stu
One thing I have wondered about is the consequences of having a gap between scooping up a sample of sub-surface material and then delivering it anywhere. It seems to me that the material reaching the ovens/labs/whatever is going to be altered by the time they reach there, because it's been exposed to the atmosphere, jumbled about, etc. Maybe a dumb question, I'm sorry, but would material scooped up and deposited almost right away behave differently? I know it's not possible to "scoop and swoop", the arm can't move that fast, but it is something I wonder about.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 3 2008, 12:50 AM) *
Maybe a dumb question, I'm sorry, but would material scooped up and deposited almost right away behave differently?

I'm pretty sure this is one of those things that NO ONE KNOWS until it's done. After all, how much experience does anyone have scraping up frozen Martian soil/ice mixture and doing ANYTHING with it?
Stu
I'm standing right next to you. No need to shout! wink.gif I was just thinking aloud here.

Anyway, I reckon they'll have an idea about this, or at least have pondered the situation... they'll have models of the soil and its properties now, having analysed one sample, surely? And it's a pretty obvious difference - fresh material vs material that's been sat in a scoop for a while...
Deimos
QUOTE (jmjawors @ Jul 3 2008, 05:24 AM) *
I see one of two options: the problem was not fully understood and yet a blanket statement was made about TEGA's overall health for the press, or that it was understood and the problem was willfully misrepresented. I know it wasn't the latter option.

Or that the emphasis at the time of the first statement was on what was known ("the short is confined to oven #4", "no direct effect on the other cells"); the emphasis at the time of the second was on what was unknown ("no way to assess the probability"). That's related to your first option, but not really the same. In any case, all problems being actively pursued will become better understood with time. That is the inherent hazard of news as opposed to textbooks.
Juramike
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 3 2008, 01:50 AM) *
Maybe a dumb question, I'm sorry, but would material scooped up and deposited almost right away behave differently? I know it's not possible to "scoop and swoop", the arm can't move that fast, but it is something I wonder about.

That's actually the BEST question to ask regarding any type of analysis: "How modified did the material get before it hit the detector?"

(Which also falls under the Big Question my graduate advisor used to demand: "How do you know what you know?")

If I understand correctly, as soon as the ice is exposed (and as the soil burden is removed) the equilibrium will shift and the water ice should begin to sublimate into the atmosphere. Any salts/materials that were dissolved/suspended in the ice will remain behind. That might alter the material properties of the soil sample (clumpiness?) and the apparent concentrations of the dissolved/suspended materials. How big will this concentrating effect be?

The beauty is that the phase diagram of water is pretty well known. So I would guess that an estimate of the rate of sublimation expected at Mars temperature and pressure could be made (and probably already has been made). Even better, once a soil analysis is done, it should be possible to make up a simulated sample of water ice (including all the salts, materials types, and grain sizes) in a laboratory and check it's sublimation rate at Mars temperature and pressure over the time it took to deliver the sample - just to satisfy that paranoid question.

-Mike
djellison
I wonder if it's possible or practical to shift dig-and-dump operations to me a local midnight when the temps are more like -80 instead of -30.

Doug
chris
One way to understand the manner in which exposed material gets modified would be to take regular pictures of scraped soil in the scoop at the highest magnification that the RA camera can use. This would preclude using the scoop for two or three days, so perhaps should only be done if they decide TEGA can't be used any more.

Chris
ngunn
Doug, see post 189. wink.gif
jmknapp
QUOTE (Juramike @ Jul 3 2008, 07:27 AM) *
So I would guess that an estimate of the rate of sublimation expected at Mars temperature and pressure could be made (and probably already has been made). Even better, once a soil analysis is done, it should be possible to make up a simulated sample of water ice (including all the salts, materials types, and grain sizes) in a laboratory and check it's sublimation rate at Mars temperature and pressure over the time it took to deliver the sample - just to satisfy that paranoid question.

There's actually an online calculator to figure out how long ice particles will last given certain conditions:

Ice Sublimation Rate On Mars

A paper On the sublimation of ice particles on the surface of Mars; with applications to the 2007/8 Phoenix Scout mission has this chart for isolated particles of 0.5mm diameter:

The abstract reads:

Experimental studies related to the sublimation of ice, in bulk or as small particles, alone or mixed with dust similar to that expected on the
surface of Mars, are reported. The experiments, a cloud physics particle sublimation model, and a convection model presented by Ingersoll, all
indicate a strong dependence of sublimation rate on temperature, and this appears to be the dominant factor, assuming that the relative humidity
of the air is fairly low. In addition the rate of loss of water vapour appears to depend primarily on exposed surface area and less on particle size
and the total mass of the sample, or the mass of ice in the sample. The 2007/8 Phoenix Scout mission plans to obtain and analyse samples of
sub-surface ice from about 70◦ N on Mars. A concern is that these samples, in the form of ice chips of size about 1 mm diameter, could be prone
to sublimation when exposed for prolonged periods (many hours) to a relatively warm and dry atmosphere. Our laboratory simulations confirm
that this could be a problem if particles are simply left lying on the surface, but also indicate that samples kept suitably cold and collected together
in confined piles will survive long enough for the collection and delivery (to the analysis instruments) procedure to be completed

Emphasis added. Thus it's interesting to note that a recent Phoenix news item says:

The robotic arm on Phoenix used the blade on its scoop to make 50 scrapes in the icy layer buried under subsurface soil. The robotic arm then heaped the scrapings into a few 10- to 20-cubic centimeter piles, or piles each containing between two and four teaspoonfuls.

Quoting from the paper again:

During the Phoenix mission to Mars it is planned that a Robotic
Arm will be used to obtain samples of sub-surface ice
and deliver these to analysis instruments. The process may take
several hours and there is a concern that, if the samples are not
treated appropriately, significant sublimation could take place.
Cloud physics modelling of sublimation from a single ice
particle suggests that the half-life of 1-mm-diameter particles,
even with no ventilation or solar radiation, would be less than
3 h, even at 223 K and that smaller particles or warmer temperatures
would exacerbate the problem. Mars chamber experiments
with isolated particles freely exposed on a surface confirmed
this prediction. The procedure in Phoenix will however be to
collect a small pile of a mixture of ice chips and dust. We find
that the sublimation rate from this will be lower, especially if
the pile is a mix of ice and dust and can be kept cold and shaded.

Here's what they got with one "snow pile" experiment at the Extraterrestrial Materials Simulation Laboratory at JPL:

So it looks like about 20% loss in about 30 hours. That "snow pile" of 150 grams is a bit bigger than the ones described at Snow White of 10- to 20-cubic centimeters though.
MahFL
I can't believe the team is taking a few days off to celebrate US Independence day.......
djellison
Can you work for 90 long days straight without a break without making a big mistake?

I know I can't.

5 weeks in, having a weekend, isn't a bad idea. It's not like the lander is going to sit idle. We're at the real beginning of the 'meat' of the mission. A few days break, come back refreshed, into top-gear for the good stuff in the weeks to come.

Doug
Juramike
QUOTE (jmknapp @ Jul 3 2008, 08:37 AM) *
There's actually an online calculator to figure out how long ice particles will last given certain conditions:

Excellent!!! Thank you very much for those links and for your detailed post!
MahFL
QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 3 2008, 02:12 PM) *
Can you work for 90 long days straight without a break without making a big mistake?

Yes but the team does not consist of one person........
Stu
I think we have this discussion every year smile.gif Usually it's the MER teams being criticised for taking a July 4th break, so only fair the Phoenix team should get it too I guess! wink.gif

Joking apart, personally I'd be amazed - and worried - if they didn't take a break. There's "dedication" and then there's "obsession". After all, the Phoenix team have all been under enormous pressure up to this point, not just professional pressure because of schedules, problems, media demands etc, but family and domestic pressure too; I'm sure their families have been very supportive of them for having to work incredibly long hours right through from before landing to the point where we are at now, but this is (as I understand it) a huge deal of a holiday in the US, so even the most understanding and supportive families, kids and partners wouldn't be out of line in hoping for and expecting a bit of a break with their loved ones this weekend. They're human beings - fathers, sons and partners - first and Mars people second.

I mean, how many of us have heard partners sigh or groan "Are you looking at those ****** Mars pictures again?", and this is just our hobby; imagine the domestic pressures on the people who work on the missions, who have to live on Mars time, who have the press constantly hassling them for updates and have to try and find fixes for faulty ovens and more...

If any of the Phoenix team are reading this, have a GREAT vacation guys, you've earned it! smile.gif
jmknapp
QUOTE (MahFL @ Jul 3 2008, 09:05 AM) *
I can't believe the team is taking a few days off to celebrate US Independence day.......

True!--didn't Pathfinder land on Independence Day?

The press releases lately have been very confusing and there have been very few of them. The second-to-last item concerned events that happened June 28:

July 1, 2008 -- NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander enlarged the "Snow White" trench and scraped up little piles of icy soil on Saturday, June 28, the 33rd Martian day, or sol, of the mission. Scientists say that the scrapings are ideal for the lander's analytical instruments.

The robotic arm on Phoenix used the blade on its scoop to make 50 scrapes in the icy layer buried under subsurface soil. The robotic arm then heaped the scrapings into a few 10- to 20-cubic centimeter piles, or piles each containing between two and four teaspoonfuls. Scraping created a grid about two millimeters deep.

The scientists saw the scrapings in Surface Stereo Imager images on Sunday, June 29, agreed they had "almost perfect samples of the interface of ice and soil," and commanded the robotic arm to pick up some scrapings for instrument analysis.

The scoop will sprinkle the fairly fine-grained material first onto the Thermal and Evolved-Gas Analyzer (TEGA). The instrument has tiny ovens to bake and sniff the soil to assess its volatile ingredients, such as water. It can determine the melting point of ice.

Emphasis added. But the current news release says:

July 2, 2008 -- The next sample delivered to NASA’s Phoenix Mars Lander’s Thermal and Evolved-Gas Analyzer (TEGA) will be ice-rich.

“Since there is no way to assess the probability of another short circuit occurring, we are taking the most conservative approach and treating the next sample to TEGA as possibly our last,” said Peter Smith, Phoenix’s principal investigator.

A sample taken from the trench informally named “Snow White” that was in Phoenix’s robotic arm’s scoop earlier this week likely has dried out, so the soil particles are to be delivered to the lander’s optical microscope on Thursday, and if material remains in the scoop, the rest will be deposited in the Wet Chemistry Laboratory, possibly early on Sunday.

What to make of that? The Snow White samples dried out before they could get them to the TEGA? Why did they dally? Or maybe since they now are worried that the next TEGA bakeoff will be the last, they want a more perfect sample? I guess if so, there's a natural break at this point.

BTW, I submit that upcoming TEGA samples should be called "Hansel" and "Gretel" and the TEGA instrument be renamed "The Gingerbread House."

MahFL
Of course, they probably know Phoenix will last for 200 days, so no hurry to try achieve full mission success.
jmjawors
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 3 2008, 08:48 AM) *
If any of the Phoenix team are reading this, have a GREAT vacation guys, you've earned it! smile.gif

I totally agree. I had my little grumbly-post last night, but that was about choice of words not quality of work. This mission has been phenomenal! Time to recharge the batteries, have a ton of fun and then tackle this TEGA delivery with fresh eyes.

:fireworks:
dvandorn
There is a good example in NASA history as to what happens when you try to enforce a no-time-off work schedule on even highly motivated individuals.

The Skylab 4 crew (third resident crew) had been aboard Skylab for about 6 weeks and had not yet gotten a single day off. Houston just kept finding more and more activities to fill their "free time" schedule blocks. So, one fine morning, the crew woke up and told Houston they were taking a day off. Period. End of discussion.

It was called a "mutiny" in the American press, and I know several people in NASA considered it such. Certainly Jerry Carr, the Skylab 4 mission commander, was never offered another space flight.

One of the hardest lessons learned from Skylab revolved around this incident, and the mission managers eventually realized that they, and not the crew, were at fault. No matter how motivated, people can't be expected to just push hard for weeks and months at a time. You have to give them time off, for a psychological break (if nothing else) from the work.

So, I have no problem with the Phoenix team taking a day or two off. In the long run, it's good for the team, and thus good for the mission.

-the other Doug
Bill Harris
One of the hardest lessons learned from Skylab revolved around this incident, and the mission managers eventually realized that they, and not the crew, were at fault.
That probably goes back to the "chimp in a can" attitude of The Suits at NASA towards the astronaut/crews which evidently applies to the human components of the silicon-carbon lifeforms team. Remember how Gus Grissom (et al) had to fight for a window and a hatch that wasn't bolted on?

Program the 'Bots to do something useful, and have a good 4th.

--Bill
Bobby
From MSNBC Thurs., July. 3, 2008

Mars lander’s next whiff could be its last
Scientists wary about short circuit in Phoenix’s soil-baking oven

I hope it does not short circuit again but it looks like it might???

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25514374/
Solar Fan
QUOTE (MahFL @ Jul 3 2008, 06:05 AM) *

One thing to consider is this year they may observe the 4th as a holiday whereas previous years they did not. Some team members worked the 4th in prior years when the hardware was still in manufacuture, assembly & test phases here on Earth in order to meet the ever-important launch date. With the lander now successfully on Mars, a lot of the pressure is off.

QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 3 2008, 06:48 AM) *
, ..., even the most understanding and supportive families, kids and partners wouldn't be out of line in hoping for and expecting a bit of a break with their loved ones this weekend. They're human beings - fathers, sons and partners - first and Mars people second, ...

, ..., If any of the Phoenix team are reading this, have a GREAT vacation guys, you've earned it! smile.gif, ...

Well said.
Doc
According to the media, TEGA initially did not detect any organics in first sample. Shouldn't we be worried about the that as much as the short circuit problem?
marsbug
The tega results released so far are only preliminary, so small amounts of organics could still be revealed by more in depth analysis. If none are found then the mystery of where mars's organics went deepens. So far there haven't been any signs of peroxides or superoxides put forward as the leading theory of what got rid of them. huh.gif
ngunn
Worried? Why? We got there safely, the equipment works and we're starting to get answers. That's cause for celebration not worry to my mind.

And yes - having worked sometimes up to 90 days without a break myself (on survey ships, sometimes synchronising my 'day' with the tidal cycle which is not far off a martian sol) I absolutely agree the team needs a holiday. So I'm not worried about that either.

Now if our intrepid robots ever declare their Independence Day, and start doing things on their own initiative, THEN I'll worry.
Doc
Or maybe we should try to think outside the box......how about life in silicon instead of carbon wink.gif
PaulM
QUOTE (Doc @ Jul 4 2008, 08:22 PM) *
According to the media, TEGA initially did not detect any organics in first sample. Shouldn't we be worried about the that as much as the short circuit problem?

I would expect that the top cm of soil anywhere on Mars would be pretty much identical because it consists mostly of fine windblown sand. I have high expectations that the next sample taken from 2cm lower at the soil/ice interface will be much more interesting and may contain organics.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (PaulM @ Jul 4 2008, 04:00 PM) *
I would expect that the top cm of soil anywhere on Mars would be pretty much identical because it consists mostly of fine windblown sand....

That was the conventional wisdom, but I wonder.... The benign character of the surface layer -- moderately alkaline, moderate salts, no strong oxidizers -- was a bit of a surprise. Do you think this is the general character of most of Mars' surface? Oxidizers look to be out as organics destroyers at this location, that leaves UV radiation. Is there any other possibility?

Scraping into the ice layer will give a sample that has been frozen in place, protected from radiation (for how long, I wonder).
centsworth_II
QUOTE (ngunn @ Jul 4 2008, 03:55 PM) *
Worried? Why?

I'm sure you would not deny that finding Martian microbes would be a fantastic boon to understanding life on Earth and it's origin. So maybe you can see how each indication that Mars is barren would cause worry in those hoping for such a boon. On the other hand, as you say, Mars is what it is and all data, compatible as well as incompatible with the possibility of life, should be welcome.

nprev
QUOTE (PaulM @ Jul 4 2008, 12:00 PM) *
I would expect that the top cm of soil anywhere on Mars would be pretty much identical because it consists mostly of fine windblown sand.

I was thinking that too, but remember that the polar regions get deeply buried underneath CO2 (and probably H2O clathrate) snow for many months during each Martian year. There has to be some effect on the immediate surface soil; what it might be, I don't know, nor does anyone really since the gross chemical composition of the deposits aren't really known. Mostly CO2, sure, but there has to be some trapped water as well.
dirk33
have i missed it, or have they still not released the results from the first tega oven samples... they should have had them in just a few days..
QUOTE (dirk33 @ Jul 5 2008, 01:17 PM) *
have i missed it, or have they still not released the results from the first tega oven samples... they should have had them in just a few days..

Transcript June 26 briefing:

Bill Boynton:
Okay. Thank you, Sara. Well, TEGA has, uh, completed it's, uh, analysis of the first sample that we received. We received this, uh, not quite two weeks ago. Uh, we successfully heated the sample up to 1,000 degrees Celsius. That's, uh, uh, 1800 degrees Fahrenheit. [...]

Might be more detail in Q&A. I didn't look.
djellison
7 posts on the pros and cons of transcribing 'uh's' deleted

1) Nothing to do with Tega
2) Nothing to do with UMSF
3) Everything to do with needing to get out more.

And I'm just as guilty as the other 6 posts.

Aussie
Not the delete key.......ahhhhhh!!!! - ok delete deserved.

(Yup - Admin)
centsworth_II
They have not yet opened the oven that they hope to deliver an ice sample to in the near future, have they? This is surprising to me. I would think that they would want to see how successful the opening is so that information can figure into their planning to get an ice sample quickly into TEGA.
dot.dk
I wonder if the TEGA doors on the other side is likely to suffer from the same problem we have seen on the two doors that have been tried?
The two sides are not connected mechanically I would guess. So should only be the same defect made on both sides that could cause similar problems.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Jul 12 2008, 03:24 AM) *
I wonder if the TEGA doors on the other side is likely to suffer from the same problem...

As I understand it, they expect the four end doors to all open about the same as the first door (#4) and the six interior doors to open about like the second door opened (#5). But I would think that the situation is such that only in opening any door will it be known for sure how well it opens. Which is why I'm a little surprised that they would be preparing to make a quick ice delivery without yet knowing for sure what the door situation will be where the delivery is to be made. It doesn't seem like it's a problem to open the door a few days before a delivery is made.
nprev
Hmm. Are they trying to minimize windborne contamination? Only reason I can think of, though any blown dust really doesn't seem as if it would be a significant deterrent to the sample analysis. There's nothing confusing potentially outgassing from the spacecraft itself, is there?
TheChemist
Why utter the magic words (open sesame) any sooner than needed, say one day before delivery ?
Murphy's law is universal smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.