Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sol 2 : HiRiseorama and UHF bugs.
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
bcory
QUOTE (ahecht @ May 28 2008, 12:39 AM) *
--- quotes removed ---

I enhanced that image a bit to bring out the reflection in the mirror to show direction:

Most excellent sir

Thanks for this
Steve G
I noticed the "Canada" logo and the Canadian flag. Cool, eh? Long overdue that we're on Mars!
bcory
QUOTE (Steve G @ May 28 2008, 10:55 AM) *
I noticed the "Canada" logo and the Canadian flag. Cool, eh? Long overdue that we're on Mars!

Ever notice that this area of Mars's terrain looks alot like our Devon island in our far north. smile.gif
ustrax
First images and now...
Sound! smile.gif
TheChemist
If you want to listen to a suitable soundtrack while viewing those breathtaking images of Phoenix from HiRise :

Listen to Phoenix descend

from ESA's Mars Express Lander Communication system (MELACOM)

Not images, but still interesting ...

Edit : I just noticed Rui beat me to it .. Well... Ultreya !
ustrax
Ultreya to you too! smile.gif
I must be fair I already knew that was going to be posted so I was just waiting for the stuff to come out... wink.gif
remcook
from the ESA link:

"Unfortunately, the science observations carried out during the descent did not lead to the anticipated results. "

no fireball then...?
Steve G
QUOTE (bcory @ May 28 2008, 07:08 AM) *
Ever notice that this area of Mars's terrain looks alot like our Devon island in our far north. smile.gif

Never been that far North . . . I was at the Canadian Space Agency in St. Hubert as part as a Mars Society event and we heard both Canadian Scout proposals just before they were awarded. Very interesting! I guess that makes Canada's flag # 3 on Mars, (and second photographed since the Soviets never returned any imiagery other than static)
tim53
QUOTE (ugordan @ May 28 2008, 06:52 AM) *
Not sure if you've seen this, but the first HiRISE observation (T+11h) is also up: http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/phoenix-hardware_11.php

Regarding this: with low sun angles and exaggerated topography, is this what we should be looking for in MPL landing zone? Note Phoenix' backshell ended upside down as well. The only thing that consistently stands out is the parachute and if it's buried in dust over the years, well... The fact Phoenix landed at the edge of the 3-sigma ellipse doesn't help constrain things, either.

Good questions.

I've been thinking a lot about this since the HiRISE images of PHX came down. It's particularly interesting to note that the first HiRISE image of the lander, taken around 3am local time, doesn't show the backshell as an obvious feature at all.

It's going to hurt a lot, but I plan on looking over every single mother's son of those HiRISE images of the MPL search site (and probably the Beagle II coverage so far as well) to be sure I didn't miss it the first time around. Groan!

mars.gif
-Tim.
Norm Hartnett
QUOTE (remcook @ May 28 2008, 08:39 AM) *
from the ESA link:

"Unfortunately, the science observations carried out during the descent did not lead to the anticipated results. "

no fireball then...?

Taken with the lack of an expected LOS due to plasma I'm wondering is there was something interesting going on in the upper atmoshere? The review by the EDL team should be educational.
Norm Hartnett
QUOTE (bcory @ May 28 2008, 08:08 AM) *

NASAWatch noted that too. With photographic support!

http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/2008/05/...vu_on_mars.html

elakdawalla
That sound recording made from the Mars Express tracking data is nifty, but I don't understand the way that the signal's frequency is shifting. The caption to the signal animation reads
The lander can be seen in the animation starting from about 342 s after the start time and disappears at about 1085 s. This shows Mars Express picking up on the Phoenix signal and tracking it while closing in on the lander; the closest Mars Express got to Phoenix was 1550 km.

As Mars Express flew away, the lander deployed its parachute, separated from it and landed, the signal from the lander was cut off.

What I see in the animation is:
- at about 342 sec a spike appears at between 7 and 8 KHz.
- the spike moves to lower frequencies over time.
- shortly before 700 sec it reaches its lowest frequency, less than 1 KHz.
- then the spike moves to the right.
- The spike disappears at 1085 seconds, I guess with landing.

I don't understand why the frequency goes down, then up again. I would have assumed that the frequency would be highest at the beginning, with Mars Express approaching Phoenix, then when it passes its closest approach the frequency would have suddenly shifted down, as Mars Express draws away. Can someone explain to me why the frequency changes as it does?

--Emily
nprev
Shooting from the hip here, a combination of Doppler shift and differential rates of data transmission? Would make more sense if this is frequency-shift keyed.
Tom Tamlyn
Eric Hand from Nature is blogging the Phoenix landing. It's thoughtful, well written, and a good reference to give to people who want an informed account but may not have the patience for reading the enthusiast sites.

TTT
tuvas
QUOTE (tim53 @ May 28 2008, 08:49 AM) *
It's going to hurt a lot, but I plan on looking over every single mother's son of those HiRISE images of the MPL search site (and probably the Beagle II coverage so far as well) to be sure I didn't miss it the first time around. Groan!

mars.gif
-Tim.

Tim, you sure are motivated... Even when I was looking for MGS, I could barely stand to look at the images in 2x2 binned format... And that was only 1 image... Not to mention no background except the black of space...
stewjack
ALERT

Wednesday's Mars Phoenix Lander Briefing starting 2 p.m. EDT
That's about 15 minutes from now! I am posting this at about 1:45 EDT

2 p.m. - Mars Phoenix Lander Briefing - JPL/Tucson (Public and Media Channels)

NASA TV on the web

Audio Only (RealAudio)

Quicktime

Jack
um3k
Here's a higher bitrate WMV stream of NASA TV: http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1368163

It looks decent enough to display on my 56" HDTV!
MahFL
That was a quick press conference. What happened ?
djellison
virtually no one had questions!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.