Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's Get Moving
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3
dot.dk
Going Ballistic!!!

Sunspot
I think they've stopped to do some science observations. The boundary between the light and dark bedrock they were interested in back at Burns Cliff is probably accessable in this area.

They've moved along slightly too, I marked where I think we are in the attached image.
azstrummer
I think they're on their way out if you look at the next picture after the one shown above. They've clearly moved a few move feet upwards and the rear hazcam shots show little slippage. Bet we're out the end of the day today. As far as looking at the boundary, didn't they do that on their way in?
djellison
Yup - I always wondered why they paid so much attention to Burns Cliff - when the whole entry position was sold to us on the premise of being the same strata of rock, just nicely laid out for us smile.gif

They wont be out today - FH and RH images, with a few N images are the usual end-of-drive sequence. I think there's every chance we'll see either some in-situ on that transition over the w'end - or a climb back to the rim and a new panorama sequence over the w'end

Doug
Sunspot
Here's the region I was referring to at Burns Cliff:

PanCam SOL 289

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...IP2549L7M1.HTML

You can see a similar feature in the latest hazcam image:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EVP1214R0M1.JPG
CosmicRocker
Hello, everyone. I have been waiting for an Opportunity to jump in. I don't know why it took me so long to find this amazing forum.

I think one of the main reasons they were so interested in the Burns Cliff outcrop was the unconformity visible on the far side. It is visible in this image.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...IP2543L7M1.HTML

The bedding angle changes at the unconformity. We know that the sediments above were laid down in water. The steeply dipping crossbedding below the unconformity is normally characteristic of wind deposited sediments. I think the change from a dry to a wet environment is what they wanted to verify and investigate.

There was also an image of Opportunity's solar panels that showed apparent wind streaking of the dust shortly after the observed power boost, but I can't locate that image at the moment.
Pando
There was also an image of Opportunity's solar panels that showed apparent wind streaking of the dust shortly after the observed power boost, but I can't locate that image at the moment.

Ooo, that's great... If you can find that image please let us know smile.gif
Sunspot
They've already used the RAT on the light toned rock unit. The transition to he dark rock is clear too.

pioneer
I'm not sure a visit to the backshell/parachute would provide any useful inforamtion, plus it could be potentially dangerous, the rover could become tangelled in the parachutes suspension lines.

The heatshield probably dug a little under the surface. From an engineering perspective, a visit to the heatshield would be interesting to determine how well it survived and any modifications to make in the future.

I agree the parachute probably won't be worth visiting.
YesRushGen
I agree the parachute probably won't be worth visiting.

True, I agree it's not scientifically worth it. There might be engineering information to be gleened. But I have to admit, I'm just plain curious to see if we could see the parachute flaping around in the martian breeze.

Incidentally, totally off this topic... Was the cruise stage of the MERs expected to completely burn up when it entered the atmosphere? Would any component of them have survived to the the surface?
Sunspot
The latest microscopic camera images show features (Vugs) similar to those seen in the rock "El Capitan" back in Eagle Crater. These eventually dissappear further down, and a fine scale layering re-appears.

Latest microscpic cam pic from Endurance Crater:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EVP2956M2M1.JPG

"This image (below), taken by the microscopic imager on the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity, illustrates the shapes of the vugs, or small cavities, located on the region dubbed "El Capitan." The region is part of the rock outcrop at Meridiani Planum, Mars, which the rover is currently examining.

The image provides insight into the nature of the rock matrix -- the rock material surrounding the vugs. Several vugs have disk-like shapes with wide midpoints and tapered ends. This feature is consistent with sulfate minerals that crystallize within a rock matrix, either pushing the matrix grains aside or replacing them. These crystals are then either dissolved in water or eroded by wind activity to produce vugs."

El Capitan:
OWW
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Nov 30 2004, 07:30 PM)
I'm not sure a visit to the backshell/parachute would provide any useful inforamtion, plus it could be potentially dangerous, the rover could become tangelled in the parachutes suspension lines.

Last year I saw a MER documentary that shows the parachute test. That parachute ripped itself apart! That is a very good reason to visit the this parachute to see if it has any tears. I agree that the detour is not worth the trouble, since Opportunity landed safely... smile.gif
djellison
QUOTE (YesRushGen @ Dec 2 2004, 06:56 PM)
Incidentally, totally off this topic... Was the cruise stage of the MERs expected to completely burn up when it entered the atmosphere? Would any component of them have survived to the the surface?

Not sure - I wouldnt be suprised to see the fuel tanks make it all the way - the tanks on Delta II second stages often make it to the ground here on earth

Doug
Pando
I think nobody knows where exactly the cruise stage ended up after the lander module detached from it. It could be quite far away... or even still on orbit.
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Pando @ Dec 2 2004, 11:09 AM)
Ooo, that's great... If you can find that image please let us know.

I realized I had a log of the IRC discussion where it was mentioned, so I found that image. It was from sol 270.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...ELP1910R0M1.JPG

Looking at it again, I wasn't convinced these were dust trails though. I looked at the image from the left cam and the streaks were there, but shifted in position.

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...ELP1910L0M1.JPG

So now I suspect it is some kind of specular reflection phenomenon. Sorry. I should have done the analysis before mentioning the streaks. sad.gif
djellison
QUOTE (Pando @ Dec 3 2004, 12:44 AM)
I think nobody knows where exactly the cruise stage ended up after the lander module detached from it. It could be quite far away... or even still on orbit.

Oh - no - the Cruise Stage will have entered the martian atmosphere shortly after the entry vehicle, a short while afterwards. Weather any surviving components will have landed short or long comapred to the rovers themselves ( I'd expect long ) - I dont know

Also - I think those 'streaks' are just reflections of the sun comign of the slightly imperfect surface of the solar array cover slips

Doug
Sunspot
They've made the RAT hole a little deeper:

djellison
As the great man said "I think there's every chance we'll see some in-situ on that transition over the w'end" tongue.gif

Doug
akuo
Looks like no movement on sol 309 for Opportunity. There are no updates to hazcam images, but you can compare the calibration target images.

Sol 307:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EVP2840L7M1.JPG
Sol 309:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EVP2841L1M1.JPG

Different filters, but the arrangement of the blueberries in the background stays the same.
Sunspot
QUOTE (akuo @ Dec 6 2004, 11:09 PM)
Looks like no movement on sol 309 for Opportunity. There are no updates to hazcam images, but you can compare the calibration target images.

......I've been refreshing the exploratorium webpage through out the evening wondering if Opportunity had moved today tongue.gif Think we'll be out of the crater by the weekend?
Analyst
@akuo: You don’t have to compare the blueberries in the background. The file name gives you the rover position, in this case “38EV”, and it’s the same in both files, so no movement. But I think we will leave this week, hopefully.
azstrummer
My guess is that they're doing APXS integrations on the spots they've ratted, hence no pictures and no movements. Maybe they'll be done with those today. Just a hunch but I'll bet they find nothing they didn't already know from their trip into the crater.
Sunspot
I'm a little surprised they stopped at this rock unit. Isn't it the same band of rock Opportunity examined as it entrered Endurance?
djellison
QUOTE (Analyst @ Dec 7 2004, 07:51 AM)
@akuo: You don’t have to compare the blueberries in the background. The file name gives you the rover position, in this case “38EV”, and it’s the same in both files, so no movement. But I think we will leave this week, hopefully.

Ahh - remember - that number is simply a rover site - where it's location is reset to 0,0,0 - it can then move again near that site to do work without changing site number

I think.

smile.gif

Doug
Analyst
The „38“ is the rover site, reset after longer drives, hence this is the 39th site on the surface (including site 00, the rover on the lander). The following two letters „EV“ (drive number) are the exact position within this site. This means, if they don’t change, the rover doesn’t move at all.

Analyst biggrin.gif
OWW
Opportunity is inspecting the lower layers now:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...EVP1121R0M1.JPG
So, we're not leaving Endurance this week... I kind of expected this. It makes sense. a RAT in the upper, transition and lower layer. A nice final science investigation in Endurance. ( at least, I HOPE it's the last one rolleyes.gif )
Sunspot
Perhaps they spotted something unusual in these rocks....... If they decide to use the RAT on these lower layers we could be here quite a while, if its just the APXS etc - maybe a few days.
azstrummer
Well, we'd know if the latest press release yesterday actually had new information in it. Yesterday was SOL 309 and yet the release only went through SOL 297. Must be a hell of a holiday party going on in JPL. biggrin.gif
Pando
They'll have to redo a failed RAT hole, then do MI and APXS. After they are done that, they will drive out, probably sol 311/312.
Pando
Here are some IDD targets from Sol 305. Looks like they are doing some lower ones now...

Pando
Here's another cool image, taken from the Karatepe ingress point at sol 138, showing how Opportunity would look where it is now...

Pando
...or, better yet, as it really would look to someone standing there:

Sunspot
Are they planning to drive out at the exact same point where they entered the crater?

You can see a gap in the layered bedrock in that image you posted with a "path" of light rocks leading up to the rim - a possible exit route?
djellison
Again pando - a HUGE thankyou smile.gif

Doug
Sunspot
This is a particularly interesting microscopic camera image, lots of tiny pebbles sandwiched inbetween the layers of the rock.

Gray
That's a neat image. Thanks Sunspot. Some of those little pebbles look as if they are partly embedded in the rock.
Sunspot
They've reapplied the RAT to the region in the lower transition layer after the previous attempt didnt succeed.

Pando
Update: There are some restrictions in the communications that affect their schedule to drive out. So they will probably stay put for a few sols and do remote observations. They will attempt egress at sol 315 which will put them at the edge of the crater, and after doing a monster 360 navcam panorama (whohoo!) and some more remote science, will start drive to the heatshield at around sol 317. That drive will take around 2-3 days (around 150 meters away)...
djellison
Like I've said - I want to build a Pancam mosaic of the Heatshield and impact hole for my Birthday. They've got till Dec 23rd smile.gif

I assume the comms restrictions are DSN based with Cassini doing the T-b flypast - and/or the ironic status that the highly beneficial power-augmenting tilt actually is a nightmare for UHF passes.

Sol 315 will be a sunday though - they dont 'do' sundays tongue.gif

Doug
Pando
Opportunity will attempt a drive half-way out of the crater today (sol 312), so by sol 313 we should be at a position
indicated with this image. Note that Karatepe (the ingress point) is appearing at the upper right, and the egress will
take place closer to that. It will sit at sol 313 for a day, drive out to the rim on 315, do remote observations on sol 316
(including a 360 panorama), and begin drive to the heatshield on sol 317-ish.

dot.dk
Thank you Pando your info is very much appriciated wink.gif

Why can't JPL hire you to do some updates at the Rover website sad.gif
Sunspot
COOL...... I did wonder if they would try the exit route indicated in the images you posted. Now we're all going to spend the rest of the day reloading the exploratorium page waiting for those hazcam images biggrin.gif
dot.dk
That didn't take long wink.gif

akuo
Oh wow Pando, this is service! Whatever strings you are pulling, thank you very much!

Cheer for the egress drive!
Sunspot
Here's Opportunity's position at the end of Sol 312:
Pando
I did wonder if they would try the exit route indicated in the images you posted.

Heh, yes, they will (they probably already have) wink.gif
dot.dk
But why are they staying for Sol 313?? unsure.gif

One more drive and we are out!
Pando
...and so they have! Well surprise surprise blink.gif laugh.gif

I didn't check the exploratorium until now... tongue.gif
Pando
But why are they staying for Sol 313?? One more drive and we are out!

Communications are limited, they will do some remote sensing on 313/314. It's a go for the rim (9 more meters) on Sol 315.

Then they'll do remote observations on the plains and 360-degree panorama on Sol 316 and then off to the heatshield on 317 wink.gif
Pando
Oh wow Pando, this is service! Whatever strings you are pulling, thank you very much!

Kiitos cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.