Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to work
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2
AndyG
I'm really looking forward to that moment when the pancam is below the visible horizon. Will that be the first time since Endurance for Opportunity?

No disrespect to the counties of Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, but I need some height about me. smile.gif

Andy
Sunspot
QUOTE (AndyG @ Sep 7 2007, 02:38 PM) *
No disrespect to the counties of Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, but I need some height about me. smile.gif

Andy

I'm in Cambridgeshire biggrin.gif , East of Peterborough.
SpaceListener
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 7 2007, 05:41 AM) *
Just checked the imaging plan for tosol (1287) and it's almost all related to the MI.
Given that there's no visible rock target on the IDD workvolume I think they are probably taking pictures of those old tracks from sol 955 in front of the left wheel.

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...FIP1212R0M1.JPG

The old track has almost one Earth year and it is still visible. Very slow sand movement. It seems that the track would be totally covered after 13 years...
CosmicRocker
A new JPL news release came out today. It describes the toe-dip and the target objectives. They could go in next week, after finishing some instrument tests. Apparently there is some concern that the mini-TES scanning mirror may not be working properly.

They mentioned Opportunity's recent cleaning again, but unfortunately do not say anything about power levels. sad.gif
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Sep 7 2007, 11:41 AM) *
BTW, no driving planned for today.
No problem at all, since my bet at the entry pool was for sol 1313. tongue.gif

I think we'll be in well before then. smile.gif

Driving planned for 1289...

James
hortonheardawho
animation of Oppy sol 1288 mini-TES mirror test:

Uh oh.

The port opened and closed -- but the mirror images look different than in the same test done by Spirit.

( see links in the image comments.)
fredk
Thanks for that, Horton.

To me the two tests don't look too different - there seems to be some glare from the upper right corner of the frame affecting the Oppy test. The good news is that the mirror is moving. Hopefully it's moving as it should.
hortonheardawho
You are correct fredk.

If you look at the two sequences side by side -- and if the glare is ignored --
they are similar.
hortonheardawho
Spirit / Oppy miniTES mirror comparison:

Although the mirror seems to be working -- the reflection from Oppy's mirror seems less distinct --
so there may be "only" a dust problem and not a mechanical one.
CosmicRocker
It is excellent news to know that the mini-TES mirror is apparently working properly, and it was even better to be able to see the Spirit and Opportunity tests side by side. Thanks, hortonheardawho.

It appears that Opportunity's MI lens is quite dusty. Apparently its cover wasn't able to effectively seal the dust out. Attached is a navcam animation showing the Microscopic Imager with the cover closed and then open. I hope I am wrong, but we may not get clear MIs in the future unless a gust is able to clean this lens off. I recall that the team recently tried to clean Spirit's MI lens by tilting it downward and opening and closing the cover. Do we know if that had any success?
Click to view attachment
djellison
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Sep 9 2007, 05:05 AM) *
Apparently its cover wasn't able to effectively seal the dust out.

Or it was open when some dust blew along.

Doug
hortonheardawho
Spirit - Opportunity MI lens comparison animation:

The fuzziness of Oppy's miniTES mirror reflection may be mostly from the dust on the MI lens.

In general, all of Oppy's optics appear dustier than Spirit's -- so it would not be a surprise Oppy's mini-TES optics are dusty too.

Here is a comparison animation of the IDDs. Although lighting differences account for some of the differences, most seem to be directly dust related.
Stu
Almost there... almost there... careful now, Oppy...

Click to view attachment
Sunspot
Well after more than two and a half years, tomorrows the big day. (probably lol)
Tesheiner
Not yet.
Imaging plan for today (sol 1290) includes a nice 27x2 (360º x 27º fov) "albedo" mosaic but nothing related to driving.
Sunspot
... I thought so. rolleyes.gif
Tesheiner
Here is a "fish-eye" version of the latest navcam mosaic from sol 1289.
Click to view attachment
sattrackpro
That little dune may be more a danger than I first thought - or is it not as high as it looks?!
BrianL
Ladies and gentlemen, the next stop on our tour of Victoria Crater is what became known as Purgatory Bay, so named because... wink.gif

Brian
jamescanvin
Now we're on our way in a new thread seems in order.

Posts related to the entry moved to Paolo's Plunge
jamescanvin
Some old images coming down today.

This one caught my eye (lifted straight out of MMB):

Click to view attachment

You can see a reflection of the pancam/navcam bar silhouetted against the bright dusty sky. cool.gif
mhoward
That one caught my eye as well (as in, gawking in astonishment).
PhilCo126
amazing reflection, thanks James for pointing this one out to us...
djellison
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 29 2007, 12:48 PM) *
Edited: Added this Q&D (quick and dirty) navcam mosaic.

Just seen this used at the beginning of the first lecture of http://www.phy.mtu.edu/curriculum/PH1600.html via iTunesU ohmy.gif

Lecture given by http://www.phy.mtu.edu/faculty/Nemiroff.html

Of http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ fame smile.gif

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.