Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nature of Victoria's dark streaks
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
fredk
Mike, you may be right, but it might just be due to the different viewing angles.

On a different topic, all this talk of bedrock in the dark streaks reminded me of this cluster of exposed rock a few bays east of us:
Click to view attachment
It stands out because it's about the palest ("whitest" in this false colour image) outcrop around Victoria. It's also near a dark streak. Unfortunately we won't get that far according to the current plan.
Edward Schmitz
I'm gonna have to agree with mike. There seems to be a slight amount of movement all around the base of the rock. My first impression was that the IDD must have disturbed the soil in the lee of the stone. But it now appears there is real soil movement going on. It's really most obvious just to the right of the circle. Quite a few berries have been covered.

Nice catch mike...
atomoid
Sand grain movement, hopefully not requiring an airspeed of > 70 m/sec 250kmh, but in more of a 'tumbling-along' sort of way, since there must be some easier mechanism to explain the grain movement we've seen at Alicante. its certainly not undermining as in the rover track berryfalls.

i'd suspect that bare bedrock such as the exposure shown here tends to stay clear since there are no other grains holding on to the ones on top, so its easier for the grains too tumble and berries to roll away.

This type of net deposition (sweeping is certainly going on as well) would also be explaining most of whats going on the bottom of, for instance, this HiRise image grains blowing uphill, no?
Floyd
It may be impossible because of different viewing angles, but could someone warp the berry part of the images to superimpose and then do a flicker image? It would really help with seeing the differences. smile.gif

Floyd
fredk
Horton did this a little while back.
WindyT
Are fines coming out of the crater responsible for the apparent layering (dark and light layers) in the dunes we saw on the way to Victoria?
atomoid
dune layering on the plains consisting of fines blowing in from the whole planet in general to mix unevenly with the larger local grains i think...

..which brings me back to: did anyone ever hear of any research trying to link the dune layering with any sort of seasonal/epochal timeline? if we could count tree-rings, then we'd know what were looking at. i dont know if anyone has even submitted a theory arguing whether the sand dunes are fossils or not.
WindyT
QUOTE (atomoid @ Apr 25 2007, 10:32 PM) *
dune layering on the plains consisting of fines blowing in from the whole planet in general to mix unevenly with the larger local grains i think...

I used to think that as well, but I went back over the dune pictures, and it looked like the layering became more distinctive as Oppy approached the crater annulus. I starting thinking about what fines could come out of the crater and what that additional deposition might look like. I'm having second thoughts about how the dark layers in the area around the annulus were formed. I'll still lean toward "global dark fines floating down" but how much dust did come out of that crater? Any? I mean, if that much wind erosion went on, it couldn't all stay in the crater. Did many of the blueberries knock together enough to grind them into "blueberry dust" and then got blown off the annulus? I don't know. There's more to the wind profile than meets the eye.
fredk
From this thread, there was recently a podcast featuring an interview with the Rover mission manager Byron Jones. He made some comments about the dark streaks. Remember that, as I understand it, Jones is not a member of the science team, so we should be careful about interpreting this, and his comments do contradict what we've apparently heard from Jim Bell. Nevertheless, his statement was quite unambiguous. Here's my transcript:
Jones: The material that's in [the dark streaks] looks very similar to material inside Victoria crater. It's estimated that it was just blown out and you can see those wind streaks that just go straight north from the crater and we've spent the last week or two investigating some of the soil targets in there.

Interviewer: Have you learned anything interesting so far doing that?

Jones: I can't speak to any of the scientific discoveries so far there, and they're still waiting to get back some data to analyse, but we do know that it's material that was carried out of the crater.
CosmicRocker
Well now...that's interesting, isn't it? I thought this was mostly settled with Jim Bell's comment, and now I'm not quite sure how to interpret Byron's statements. They were just ambiguous enough to start me wondering again.
Stu
Cosmic,

How do you get "we do know that it's material that was carried out of the crater" to be ambiguous?!?! wink.gif
djellison
The ambiguity is in the fact that a scientist is saying one thing and an engineer the other smile.gif

PERHAPS...the answer is that we're ALL right. It's fast winds all right, clearing the lighter dust, and depositing heavier dark sand as well. Consider El-Dorado....where was the dust there....none to be found...just dark sand. You need stronger winds to carry that stuff. But stronger winds will get rid of dust as well.

Just a thought.

Doug
Stu
QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 29 2007, 06:42 AM) *
The ambiguity is in the fact that a scientist is saying one thing and an engineer the other smile.gif

That's not ambiguity, that's Normal Working Practice, surely? wink.gif

I really don't think we're going to crack this until either Oppy heads into the crater and examines some of the dark material, or she catches sight of a haze of dark dust approaching from out of the crater after a strong wind gust. There just doesn't seem to be enough evidence in the surface pictures taken recently to wrap up this argument one way or t'other. It's going to take a guy or gal walking around Victoria, taking samples and working it out the good old fashioned way.

It might be time to move on, move in, raise your eyes to the sky again and start looking up at some of those outcrops Oppy instead of staring down at the ground beneath your tired wheels...
fredk
Stu, I haven't been as pessimistic as that. JPL has access to a lot more data that we, and (perhaps) better arguments. Still, the apparent disagreement between the two is disheartening.

Doug, I (for one) have been pointing out again and again that things may be more complicated that pure Sweep or Deposition. The real question is do we have a dominant mechanism.

Still, I expect we will find out what the Bigwigs are thinking very, very soon. wink.gif
Stu
Not really being pessimistic Fred, just think it's time to stop flogging a dead berry and go see some more of the sights. smile.gif I'm sure the explanation will emerge eventually, but Oppy is a Mars Exploration Rover, not a Mars Stare At The Ground For Days On End Rover wink.gif Time to get rollin'; again...
dvandorn
QUOTE (Stu @ Apr 29 2007, 10:31 AM) *
...Oppy is a Mars Exploration Rover, not a Mars Stare At The Ground For Days On End Rover wink.gif

Unless there are some of those endlessly fascinating festoons just lying on the ground... wink.gif

-the other Doug
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Stu @ Apr 29 2007, 01:38 AM) *
How do you get "we do know that it's material that was carried out of the crater" to be ambiguous?!?! wink.gif
Stu: It is ambiguous because he made no specific comments about the timing of events. The dark material could have come out of the crater rather recently, or it may have come out quite some time ago. The former scenario would correspond to the depositional idea as I understand it. The latter scenario would be consistent with the removal idea if the dark material was later covered with light dust that was selectively removed recently.
Stu
Ah, I see what you meant now CR, thanks. I thought his statement was pretty unambiguous in that he was saying the dark stuff came from inside the crater, but you're right, the lack of a timeline still leaves the waters muddy.

About time this was sorted once and for all now... Oi! All you MER people reading: will someone PLEASE tell us what's going on?!?! You know, don't you, you're just enjoying watching us tie ourselves up in knots here! wink.gif
fredk
QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 29 2007, 03:18 PM) *
Still, I expect we will find out what the Bigwigs are thinking very, very soon. wink.gif
Here's what I meant:
The mystery of the dark streaks -- if there ever was one -- was easily solved. "The dark material appears to be just sand blown out of the crater," informed Squyres. "It's dark because the sand on Mars is dark. Basically it's a higher concentration of basaltic sand. It's a depositional wind streak and not a big surprise." Although the dark streaks may not have been much of a Martian mystery, investigating them serves the greater science objective at Gusev. "We had to do the dark streak campaign, because it was a scientific problem that we had to make sure we understood," he explained.
From the latest planetary society update.

Depositionists rejoice! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Stu
To quote an Olde English folk song from days of yore...

"Oh it's all gone quiet over there... yes it's all gone quiet over there..." tongue.gif tongue.gif
Juramike
So if future HiRise passes see the streaks fade, will that make everyone satisfied?

"...even the fruits of victory would be ashes in our mouths."
-John F. Kennedy

"..everything is dust in the wind"
-rock 'supergoup' Kansas

wink.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (fredk @ May 1 2007, 02:10 PM) *
Depositionists rejoice! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Not so fast.

I don't think it would take too much prodding to get Squyres to say further
that keeping the streaks dust free is essential to keeping them dark.

"The dark material appears to be just sand blown out of the crater," informed Squyres.
It could just as well be sand NOT blown out of the crater, but blown in from somewhere else.
The ESSENTIAL is that, wherever the sand came from, it has been blown free of dust.

"It's dark because the sand on Mars is dark." He says. The dark sand blown
out of Victoria was probably blown into the crater at some previous time. And is
probably not significantly different from sand being blown all about Meridiani all
the time. It is not the fact that much of the sand in the streaks came from the crater
that makes them dark, it's the fact that the streaks are dust free that makes them dark.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Stu @ May 1 2007, 02:19 PM) *
To quote an Olde English folk song from days of yore...

"Oh it's all gone quiet over there... yes it's all gone quiet over there..." tongue.gif tongue.gif

Poor Stu, you don't see that Steve Squyres has burst the bubble of all
who imagined some unique dark substance unearthed in Victoria:

"[it's] just sand.... It's dark because the sand on Mars is dark."
Edward Schmitz
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ May 1 2007, 11:45 AM) *
Not so fast.

I don't think it would take too much prodding to get Squyres to say further
that keeping the streaks dust free is essential to keeping them dark.

The deposition theory always said there was a cycle. Dust blows out forming a dark streak. Seasons change, wind patterns change. Streak fade due to dust deposition. Cycle starts over.

There is no cleaning going on. There is dark sand deposition and light dust deposition. That's it.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Juramike @ May 1 2007, 02:36 PM) *
So if future HiRise passes see the streaks fade, will that make everyone satisfied?

I'm satisfied to see the cause of the streaks as two sides of the same coin.
The same wind blowing dust clear of the streaks is also depsiting sand from
the crater. However, the streaks would be dark if no additional sand were
blown onto them from the crater, if only the ubiquitous sands of Merridiani
were present and blown free of dust. Yes, sand from Victoria is deposited
on the streaks. But I still give the bottom line to the sweepers: the
streaks are dark because they are dust free.
dvandorn
Steve has spoken. Let no mere mortal question... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

-the other Doug
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Edward Schmitz @ May 1 2007, 03:01 PM) *
There is no cleaning going on.

I don't see any way to prove that by what we see.
The dust that is present below the surface could be from a windless period
when no clearing of dust or deposition of sand was taking place, only deposition
of dust. When the seasonal wind is present there could easily be deposition
of sand from the crater and removal of dust by wind too weak to hold onto
the sand but still strong enough to carry dust away.

edit: When the winds start up again, some of the dust buildup is removed
but some is covered by deposited sand and preserved as a layer beneath,
waiting to be exposed by some roving rover.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (dvandorn @ May 1 2007, 03:04 PM) *
Steve has spoken. Let no mere mortal question...

I wonder what you think he has said.

Mere mortals parse the phrases of the
Bible all the time to support their views. tongue.gif
Stu
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ May 1 2007, 06:52 PM) *
Poor Stu, you don't see that Steve Squyres has burst the bubble of all
who imagined some unique dark substance unearthed in Victoria:

"[it's] just sand.... It's dark because the sand on Mars is dark."

No need to "Poor Stu" me; my idea was a long shot and I put it forward as such. I'm happy to have my unconventional bubble burst when it has been shown that the basic idea it bubbled up from was basically right:

crater + wind + dark material = streak.

Click to view attachment

smile.gif
Juramike
QUOTE (WindyT @ Apr 25 2007, 01:05 PM) *
Are fines coming out of the crater responsible for the apparent layering (dark and light layers) in the dunes we saw on the way to Victoria?

QUOTE (atomoid @ Apr 25 2007, 06:32 PM) *

..which brings me back to: did anyone ever hear of any research trying to link the dune layering with any sort of seasonal/epochal timeline? if we could count tree-rings, then we'd know what were looking at. i dont know if anyone has even submitted a theory arguing whether the sand dunes are fossils or not.

QUOTE (WindyT @ Apr 26 2007, 12:58 AM) *
I used to think that as well, but I went back over the dune pictures, and it looked like the layering became more distinctive as Oppy approached the crater annulus. I starting thinking about what fines could come out of the crater and what that additional deposition might look like.

With the recent statement, I revived these quotes from the thread. It sorta all fits together:

When deposition>removal, you get a layer.
Dark sand out of crater blows out from crater/dark streak on annulus and goes all over plain = dark zone in sequence.
Light dust from all over Mars filters down from atmosphere = light dust buildup makes light zone in sequence.

There's probably a pretty tiger stripe sequence of altenating dark layers and light layers as you dig down in the streaks. I'd expect dark streaks when more wind is present, and light streaks all other times.
Just like tree rings. Everybody wins.

Any imagemeisters got any patterns from image analysis of dunes near the annulus? Might give a clue as to the seasonality....

-Mike
Edward Schmitz
QUOTE (Stu @ May 1 2007, 12:24 PM) *

Stu: I think you've discovered a burst bubble... And it's not yours, either! smile.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Juramike @ May 1 2007, 03:41 PM) *
Dark sand out of crater blows out from crater/dark streak on annulus
and goes all over plain = dark zone in sequence.

I take Steve Squyres' comments to mean that there is nothing special
about the sand being blown out of Victoria onto the streak. It is the
same as the sand laying all around on Meridiani. In fact, the same blowing
out of Victoria once was laying on Meridiani, before it was blown into
Victoria were it lay until being blown out back onto the plains.

The dark layers in the dunes did not come from Victoria, but are due to
some Meridiani wide process.
Juramike
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ May 1 2007, 03:54 PM) *
The dark layers in the dunes did not come from Victoria, but are due to
some Meridiani wide process.

Hmmm. unsure.gif So how come the layering gets more distinct as you approach the annulus (as WindyT noticed)?

-Mike
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Edward Schmitz @ May 1 2007, 03:01 PM) *
There is no cleaning going on. There is dark sand deposition and light dust deposition. That's it.

I don't think the gusts that carry sand out of the crater drop so quickly in energy that
they dump their sand load and have no power to sweep away dust. I think the fanned
out, feather edged pattern of the streaks indicates a wind which loses strength over the
length of the streak. The wind could not have carried some sand all the way to the end
of the streak while not removing any dust along the way.
Pavel
Meanwhile, on the other side of the planet, Opportunity ventured into the dark streaks emanating from Victoria Crater in Meridiani Planum and found nothing surprising at all.

Steve is making fun of us!
It looks like Spirit is winning this round.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ May 1 2007, 04:10 PM) *
The wind could not have carried some sand all the way to the end
of the streak while not removing any dust along the way.

Ok, just to show I can have an open mind, I thought of a way this could happen.
Perhaps you all have thought of this before. The wind blows up over the rim and
does not stay on the surface and causes no turbulence on the surface, so no
dust is removed. As the wind loses energy, sand drops to the surface, more at the
beginning of the streak and less toward the end.
Click to view attachment
It doesn't necessarily happen this way though.
Edward Schmitz
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ May 1 2007, 01:21 PM) *
Ok, just to show I can have an open mind...

That's the only reason you're saying this? It doesn't have anything to do with figuring out what is really happening?

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ May 1 2007, 01:21 PM) *
...It doesn't necessarily happen this way though.

Actually, it is exactly what is happening...

And, I might add, it's been explained that way many times in this thread already.

And it's what S S has said (twice) already...

But thanks for coming up with that indendantly.
djellison
The same strong winds that carry the heavier sand out the crater will also be keeping it clean of the dust that falls everywhere surely?. If it was ALWAYS deposition and nothing else- then it would be a huge big pile would it not? A big pile built up at the lip of the crater.

The dust falls everywhere - it's why the sky is the colour it is.. In light winds it forms dunes of its own. In heavy winds, it is blown away totally. Only stronger winds carry the sand. So - for this to be a place of all sand and little dust - both deposition AND erosion have to be occuring. Not only because we see no dust that we know to be falling everywhere, but also because if there were no erosion at all - we would have a sand mountain to see.

Doug
Edward Schmitz
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 1 2007, 01:20 PM) *
Steve is making fun of us!

Can you blame him, though? This has gotten quite silly...
Edward Schmitz
QUOTE (djellison @ May 1 2007, 01:45 PM) *
The same strong winds that carry the heavier sand out the crater will also be keeping it clean of the dust that falls everywhere. Same at El Dorado.

Doug

I disagree. El Dorado is a trap. The grains are being blown up the hill and roll back down. They have nowhere to go.

The streaks are not a deadend. The grains are being lofted out of the crater by the wind funneling thru the bay. Once on the apron, the streak is subjected to the same (weaker) winds as the rest of the apron. If the streak was being swept of dust, the rest of the apron would be as well. The reason that the sand is being deposited is that the wind is weak in the streak zone.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (djellison @ May 1 2007, 04:45 PM) *
The same strong winds that carry the heavier sand out the crater will also be
keeping it clean of the dust that falls everywhere. Same at El Dorado.

The dark patches below the crater rim are in a topography similar to
El Dorado, but above the rim who knows how the wind behaves?

Me playing devil's advocate tongue.gif :
Do you think the case I diagram above (and below) -- where the winds leaving
the crater are shot above the surface and so do not remove dust
from the surface outside the rim -- can not occur?
Click to view attachment
djellison
QUOTE (Edward Schmitz @ May 1 2007, 09:56 PM) *
If the streak was being swept of dust, the rest of the apron would be as well.

We know there to be stronger winds at the streaks - that is the mechanism by which sand is being put here. Those stronger winds will also clear more dust off the surface than anywhere else. Why would the berries be polished if the winds here were the same as everywhere else? They're polished because stronger winds are blowing surface material along and bouncing it past all the berries surely?

That diagram is interesting - but it dictates that sand is gettting thrown onto a several hundred metre parabolic arc out of the rim surely? This isn't about one steady state of one speed of wind in one direction..it's about prevailing, statistics, distribtuions.

This is not a black and white issue guys - stop pinning your pet theory on one side of a fence that just does not exist. It is indeed very silly - as I told you all it would be some days ago. Superlatives, hand waving, football chants. It's childish.

Doug

(PS - I've edited my previous post to remove the El Dorado reference, that was not what I was trying to say)
centsworth_II
QUOTE (djellison @ May 1 2007, 05:05 PM) *
Why would the berries be polished if the winds here were the same as everywhere else?

Ahhhhhh... the polished berries.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (djellison @ May 1 2007, 04:45 PM) *
If it was ALWAYS deposition and nothing else- then it would be a huge big pile would it not?

Good point! biggrin.gif
djellison
I don't pretend to have all the answers, others should stop pretending that they do smile.gif I see a range of symptoms that no one simple theory here has covered unambiguously.

Maybe the simple fact that more sand ends up here dictates that more polishing of berries goes on. BUT - is the streak the same direction as the prevailing winds? If winds are picking stuff up from inside and dropping it out on this side of the rim - what is going on on the far side from here?

If the sand was being dropped just outside the rim then would there not be a large pile, maybe a mini dune field - from which it is then redistributed with the 'nominal' apron winds. For there to be no pile then that dictates it is being thrown out at a rate slower than it is being then moved on by normal winds - BUT - that then means the normal winds are more powerfull, more dominant that the ejecting stream and would that not mean that everything around here should be polished?

If it were whipping over a lip, perhaps you would have a stall on the rim edge, but we don't get that here it's whipping up a slope which aerodynamically blends reasonably well into the apron. How has the wind here altered the profile from ramp to apron compared to other ramps?

Notice all the question marks?

Doug
Edward Schmitz
QUOTE (djellison @ May 1 2007, 01:45 PM) *
If it was ALWAYS deposition and nothing else- then it would be a huge big pile would it not? A big pile built up at the lip of the crater.

How much stuff do you think it takes to change the surface brightness or color?

Besides, no one is saying that no material is being moved on the apron. It's just not any more than the rest of the apron.

Take a look at the topo map. There is some hint that there is topology associated with the streaks.
djellison
QUOTE (Edward Schmitz @ May 1 2007, 10:25 PM) *
How much stuff do you think it takes to change the surface brightness or color?

Don't know. How much do you think it takes?

Besides, no one is saying that no material is being moved on the apron. It's just not any more than the rest of the apron.

So if stuff is being moved within this streak no more than anywhere else - but sand is being thrown out of the crater preferentially at this point - where's the net balance of sand producing dunes or similar?

Take a look at the topo map. There is some hint that there is topology associated with the streaks.

Nothing conclusive, nothing that isn't ambiguous, nothing more than lots of other places around the crater that don't have streaks smile.gif
Stu
I thought we were all just having a good natured knockabout laugh with this debate, just a bit of fun, kind of a "Beacon Round 2", hence the football chant reference. My apologies.
Edward Schmitz
People seem to want there to be some reason that the streaks act differently than the rest of the apron. They don't. The wind sweeps out of the crater through all of the down wind bays and carries material with it. It is simply that there is dark sand under the streak-bays that makes the streaks visible.

As for cleaning on the streaks - Why do we need to envoke it. The streaks appear rather suddenly and fade over time. It's a simple case of sand being deposited and then dust being deposited.

What happened to S S having spoken. He didn't say sweeping and deposition. He said deposition. Period.
djellison
QUOTE (Edward Schmitz @ May 1 2007, 10:40 PM) *
The streaks appear rather suddenly and fade over time.

How do you know this?

If sand is deposited then dust depoisted then repeat...where is the big pile of material?

Steve didn't say 'Deposition, Period'. He said 'Deposition'. You're infering more than he said. He said that deposition is occuring. If deposition is the only thing that occurs at these places - then over the past several billion years they would be huge piles of sand. These do not exist - thus an element of erosion must also be occuring. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm not attempting to pose a theory of my own. But can you see that you are over-simplifying the processes here? If only one thing were happening all the time in these places, they would be very very different to the surrounding terrain. They're not. They're different in a subtle way. This isn't a trombone solo going on - there's a full orchestra at work. We can hear the trombone...but there's other instruments playing as well.

I've said it again, but it bares repeating. This isn't a black or white issue. It's a blend of processes.

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.