Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spacecraft Set to Reach Milestone, Reports Technical Glitches
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
Pages: 1, 2
elakdawalla
Agreed, we need those dish arrays for the DSN. But I'm wondering: would having the arrays actually help with this particular problem? I don't know much about radio -- wouldn't it still be a problem to have two transmitters on the same frequency in the same place in the sky broadcasting at the same time, even if you were trying to tune in with two different dishes?

--Emily
nprev
Hmm. Well, they wouldn't be exactly the same...there will be minor freq differences & other carrier offsets...so it should be possible to filter out the one you don't want to hear, plus any mutual harmonics. However, we are talking about really low received signal strength, so this might be harder to do than it sounds.
djellison
Oh - same freq, same patch of sky - that's always going to be a nightmare situation that no ammount of ground equip will fix - but I seem to remember the MGS issue causing some lost Cassini downlinks - if you had a big array, you could say "right, half to track MGS, and the half for Cassini" - you drop the data rate a bit, but some is better than none - it gives you options.

Doug
nprev
Should I resurrect my world-famous (though previously invented in the 1930s) idea about putting TDRS-style DSN relay sats at the Earth/Sun L4 & L5 points? smile.gif
edstrick
At the rate they're running out of spares, they'll end up recycling a Marconi spark-gap transmitter on some misison!
Thu
QUOTE (edstrick @ Mar 25 2007, 04:18 PM) *
At the rate they're running out of spares, they'll end up recycling a Marconi spark-gap transmitter on some misison!

Then be sure to teach them how to use Morse code for communication tongue.gif
tedstryk
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 24 2007, 05:36 PM) *
and Stardust used some optics from Voyager.

Doug

Not to mention that the NAVCAM CCD was a spare from Cassini!
ugordan
So in essence, Cassini used a Voyager wide-angle spare camera and replaced the vidicon with a CCD and Stardust took all that and just mounted it on the spacecraft.

You gotta love reusability!
monitorlizard
Imagine the kind of spares lying around from military reconnaissance satellites and what the planetary exploration community could do with them. Oh, those selfish, selfish generals!
tedstryk
QUOTE (ugordan @ Mar 26 2007, 01:17 PM) *
So in essence, Cassini used a Voyager wide-angle spare camera and replaced the vidicon with a CCD and Stardust took all that and just mounted it on the spacecraft.

You gotta love reusability!

Cassini also has a new filter wheel to accommodate 18 filters instead of the 8 that Voyager/Galileo/Stardust cameras had. Makes you wonder if the stardust filter wheel, a Voyager spare, got stuck due to age!
Jim from NSF.com
QUOTE (monitorlizard @ Mar 26 2007, 10:15 AM) *
Imagine the kind of spares lying around from military reconnaissance satellites and what the planetary exploration community could do with them. Oh, those selfish, selfish generals!

Not the same. There is a "production line" for reconsats. Not the same as one time only planetary spacecraft. They would probably use the hardware on the last bird in the series or even put together another vehicle (which had been done before)
Jim from NSF.com
QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Mar 24 2007, 08:06 AM) *
If I remember correctly, the reason the two spacecraft share the same frequency is that MRO uses a spare X-band communications transponder left over from the Mars Rover program, identical to the transponder on Spirit, and it never occurred to anyone that Spirit would still be roving when MRO began operations in orbit around Mars.
TTT

that is correct
tty
QUOTE (Jim from NSF.com @ Mar 26 2007, 05:08 PM) *
Not the same. There is a "production line" for reconsats. Not the same as one time only planetary spacecraft. They would probably use the hardware on the last bird in the series or even put together another vehicle (which had been done before)

As I remember it they had a very hard time finding enough hardware left over at the end of the Corona program to cobble together a satellite for display purposes, and that was after 100+ launches. Essentailly all the test and development hardware had been upgraded to flyable status and launched.
remcook
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0708/26mro/

"Alfred McEwen of the University of Arizona, Tucson, principal investigator for the camera, said, "I'm happy to report that there has been no detectable degradation over the past five months." "

"McEwen said, "Given the stability we've seen and understanding the nature of the problem, we now expect HiRISE to return high-quality data for years to come." "

yay!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.