Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jupiter from HiRise
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
Pages: 1, 2
tuvas
QUOTE (csq246 @ Feb 1 2007, 04:08 PM) *
Hi I'm new, but I figured I might as well jump in now; Do you think it's possible that they could turn it towards Pluto? smile.gif

It is possible, but not likely. Jupiter was deemed worth the risk because of it's large size, moons, and the fact that it is a fair amount closer from Mars than from Earth, so we could get a decent picture out of it. Also, it helped to do characterization of the camera, because of it's well-known colors in various wavelengths. Pluto is small, very far away, and all in all, it'd only be a few pixels across, if that. It hasn't been as well characterized, and there isn't an advantage to looking at it from Mars, it just doesn't do anything different.

As an aside, Jason says now he's more interested in HiRISE because it's taken a photo of a "worthy" planet.
nprev
I don't think that using HiRSE for NMO object detection would be a prudent use of this asset during its primary mission, but if we get lucky & MRO is as long-lived as MGS it surely might be a worthy objective of an extended mission. MGS gave some tantalizing hints of the impact rate on Mars, and assessing this risk/opportunity(? smile.gif ) would add lots of immediate value for future manned exporation plans as well as context data for Mars' recent geology.

OT, but for some reason, I'm reminded of the wonderful 1964 movie Robinson Caruso on Mars, and the frequent meteor impacts... rolleyes.gif
JRehling
[...]
tuvas
QUOTE (JRehling @ Feb 2 2007, 10:37 PM) *
Unless the zenith orientation features something of exceptional value, MRO has some very good uses pointing at the nadir. (Except at night.)

Actually, most HiRISE/CTX/CRISM pictures are taken off-NADIR, only SHARAD, MARCI, and MCO are anything else. MCO doesn't count either, as it moves on it's own...
GuyMac
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Feb 1 2007, 10:43 AM) *
Seriously, this image is fantastic ohmy.gif . I'm waiting for an Earth-and-moon-imaging Hirise release -_-

There is a moon image BTW.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.