Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inaccuracy in reporting astronomy and science
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Juramike
*sigh* - should've never made past the editors desk...

CNN reporting on a halo around the sun: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/07/suns-...-pretty/?hpt=T3

To modify an old adage about man bites dog:
"A ring around the sun as seen from Earth is not news, but a ring around the Earth as seen from the sun is news."
cbcnasa
--- Full quote of previous post removed! Mod. ---

The comments submitted in response are very interesting and adds to the poor astronomy ideas.
algorimancer
The "orbit" thing reminds me of how one of my elementary teachers tried to convey the idea of planetary orbits and why planets farther from the sun take longer to orbit. She had someone stand in place as the "sun", then a row of students walked around the "sun" at a fixed distance, point being that the further away from the sun, the longer the orbital distance, so it took longer to cover it at the same pace. This was during the era of Apollo landings on the moon, so relevant to interests at the time. No mention of the inverse square law ... probably for the best.
schaffman
Was it Carl Sagan who commented that the average speed of a comet in the Ooort Cloud was about that of a race car? It's interesting to compare that to the maximum orbital velocity of Mercurcy of 59 km/sec (about 132,000 miles/hr)--a difference of three orders of magnitude!
Tom
Astro0
If you thought that any of the previously mentioned stories were bad, then take a look at this.
Admittedly it was in the 'Wacky News' section but really?!

May 12, 2010
It left Earth 33 years ago, now it's claimed the Voyager 2 spacecraft may have been hijacked by aliens after sending back data messages NASA scientists can't decode.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/wack...0-1225865566982

angel1801
There was a famous X-Files (season 2, episode 1) episode called "Little Green Men" that did have a similar story line
to this report in the Telegraph. The X-Files show aired in 1995.
Lunik9
Forgive me for this one but Emily Lakdawalla made newspaper & online news as she " photoshopped a NASA image to hide evidence of Aliens ".
Some journalists noticed that a NASA Cassini photo was "photoshopped" and jumped to crazy conclusions...

Normally UMSF-unworth topic but as Emily was involved huh.gif
http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/961/Wetenschap/ar...universum.dhtml

We all know Doug did an excellent job explaining the "Gorilla on Mars" foto but there's obvious plenty to do for debunkers of pseudo-science!
ugordan
Oh dear... rolleyes.gif
ElkGroveDan
This is so nuts that it doesn't deserve any more of a response than the one Emily gave them. If other media outlets pick it up, then maybe someone can start directing the media to the raw images. Other than that they've already gotten way more attention than they deserve.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 8 2010, 12:48 PM) *
...If other media outlets pick it up, then maybe someone can start directing the media to the raw images. Other than that they've already gotten way more attention than they deserve.
I seems to me that this is an example of the media helping! The media outlet in this case is exposing crazy internet talk and giving those in the know (Emily) a platform to correct the misconceptions.
Sunspot
It's on Fox News and Gizmodo now.
djellison
I thought Gizmodo were better than this
Did NASA really try to hide evidence of extraterrestrial life by photoshopping a picture — and then making that picture is Astronomy Picture Of The Day, just to confuse us further? It's so crazy, it might just be true!

nprev
mad.gif

Man...this is nothing more than cheap sensationalism designed to draw an audience, common sense & rational explanations be damned.

Better stop typing now before all the words only have four letters.

mad.gif
AndyG
The Guardian (bless 'em!) had a report this weekend on long-range surveillance photography carried out in the US. Some of the photos - toxic sites, chemical weapons' sites, nefarious transfers of assorted people at airports-in-deserts - were rather fascinating, taken at ranges of many miles on huge lenses, but the one of "four geostationary spy satellites" showing their trails across the night sky would have been laughable, if it were not such bad science.

Andy
Phil Stooke
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90...81/7174741.html

One hardly knows where to begin with this one! I like the new name for the Phobos Sample Return Mission, "Forbes".

Yes, I know, translation is always a problem. But still...

Phil
tedstryk
Wow.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 22 2010, 11:14 AM) *
''''I like the new name for the Phobos Sample Return Mission, "Forbes".
laugh.gif
Maybe they're angling for a sponsorship deal.

Click to view attachment
ilbasso
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 22 2010, 11:14 AM) *
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90...81/7174741.html

One hardly knows where to begin with this one! I like the new name for the Phobos Sample Return Mission, "Forbes".

Phil

It wouldn't surprise me if the photos and science results are already available online if you know where to look.
Vultur
I like how they call it a rover even though they say it will be orbiting. I'm pretty sure I've seen Phoenix called a rover too -- is everything that goes to Mars a rover according to the media?
centsworth_II
Haven't you heard of the MRO (Mars Rover Orbiter)? laugh.gif

p.s. At least Phoenix had feet (if not wheels) on the ground.
Juramike
space.com article: http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/cassi...yby-101105.html

"The Cassini spacecraft in orbit around Saturn has suffered a malfunction that has shut down all science observations for the time being, forcing the probe to skip an upcoming visit to Saturn's largest moon Titan, NASA announced this week."

Oh. So it won't be flying past Titan then? mad.gif
helvick
Surely it will still be flying past Titan, just not running through planned list of "things to do" while in the neighbourhood, or have I completely misunderstood the orbital mechanics...

Edited - D'oh, not looking at where this was posted. Leaving it in to hang my own head in shame for even briefly thinking anyone here would be so clueless.
Richard Miles
>>>Does anyone else feel space is being let down by TV coverage?

I thought the BBC Horizon programme entitled "Asteroids: the good, the bad and the ugly" was rather well done. I watched it on i-Player in the early hours of the morning when my broadband speed manages to top 0.7 Mb. It was sufficiently enthralling to keep me watching and the facts they presented were essentially correct.

Richard Miles
Astro0
The BBC - dis'n the Rovers again!!! ohmy.gif
"While the Mars rovers Spirit and Opportunity provided far more data than was initially planned, as vehicles that are powered by the sun and get around on wheels, they are limited in their overall range of exploration. For example, the Opportunity rover, which has been on the Martian surface for nearly seven years, passed the 25-kilometre mark this week."

huh?!
ngunn
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Nov 17 2010, 10:47 PM) *
The BBC dis'n the Rovers again!

I don't think so. I think they're only making the point that ambitions for future missions are set even higher, as they should be.
JohnVV
well solar power is doing good for a 90 day mission that is now into 7 years

but , come on now, a atomic rocket
it is one thing to use a thermal nuclear thermocouple power source like the old "snap 19"

but a rocket ???? using low yield isotopes ???

ok lets do it "right" put into space a nice plutonium powered mars "hopper " , a small and very nasty bit on the surface jumping up and down and NEVER crashing -- right.
djellison
QUOTE (ngunn @ Nov 17 2010, 03:01 PM) *
I don't think so. I think they're only making the point that ambitions for future missions are set even higher, as they should be.

Actually, the per-sol driving distance for MSL isn't significantly different to MER.
Stu
Hmmm. The piece has been tweaked. Maybe someone dropped Mr Palmer a note suggesting he give more credit to the Mars rovers.

(whistles innocently)
tfisher
QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 17 2010, 06:19 PM) *
Actually, the per-sol driving distance for MSL isn't significantly different to MER.

And oppy has long since passed the overall driving distance goal for MSL: level 1 requirement is 20km. See e.g. http://www.spacepolicyonline.com/pages/ima...s1%20Li-MSL.pdf. For that matter, MSL level 1 longevity requirement is only one year. The success of the MER rovers is mind-blowing.
stevesliva
QUOTE (Stu @ Nov 18 2010, 04:58 PM) *
Hmmm. The piece has been tweaked. Maybe someone dropped Mr Palmer a note suggesting he give more credit to the Mars rovers.

Inconceivable.
Astro0
Stu, I wonder if those "innocent whistles" sound like stinging attacks to a journalist?! laugh.gif
Stu
QUOTE (stevesliva @ Nov 19 2010, 04:13 AM) *
Inconceivable.

And yet, it happened. cool.gif
AndyG
QUOTE (stevesliva @ Nov 19 2010, 04:13 AM) *
Inconceivable.

Princess Bride, 1987. Do I win a prize? laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

Andy
helvick
Andy - funniest comment in ages. Excellent.
nprev
Just as a counterpoint to this thread, here's a refreshingly accurate & informative pop article about the upcoming Geminids & lunar eclipse from space.com...BUT picked up by the Yahoo newsfeed.

Kinda gives me hope. smile.gif
MahFL
From the BBC....
"The Geminids consist of tiny particles ranging in size from a grain of sand to a pea shed by 3200 Phaethon, an object thought to be an extinct comet."

If only they would check thier facts before publishing.....shame. For those that don't know, it's an extint asteroid not comet.

Explorer1
This abstract sheds some light on what Phaeton is, calling it a 'rock comet':
http://arxiv.org/abs/1009.2710

Isn't 'extinct asteroid' an oxymoron anyway?
nprev
I think "extinct comet" is more apropos, since it implies the presence of volatiles...but, who's to say, really.

As usual, nature doesn't design objects to fit neat human classifications; everything exists along a continuum.
gndonald
From News.com.au, something I sincerely hope turns out to be another web hoax:

Tatooine's twin suns - coming to a planet near you just as soon as Betelgeuse explodes

T'S the ultimate experience for Star Wars fans - staring forlornly off into the distance as twin suns sink into the horizon.

Yet it's not just a figment of George Lucas's imagination - twin suns are real. And here's the big news - they could be coming to Earth.

Yes, any day now we see a second sun light up the sky, if only for a matter of weeks.

The infamous red super-giant star in Orion’s nebula - Betelgeuse - is predicted to go gangbusters and the impending super-nova may reach Earth before 2012, and when it does, all of our wildest Star Wars dreams will come true.

Tatooine's twin suns - coming to a planet near you just as soon as Betelgeuse explodes, News.com.au 19/01/2011
centsworth_II
QUOTE (gndonald @ Jan 19 2011, 11:23 AM) *

After the attention grabbing opener, they go on to say "The bad news is, it could also happen in a million years. But who's counting?"

It actually looks like an informative article.
djellison
It's catastrophically misleading. It wouldn't be a 'new sun' - it would be a very very very bright star. Citing 2012 is just tabloid sensationalism,

"When this happens a giant explosion will occur, tens of millions of times brighter than the sun." - and it's hundreds of millions of times further away.

Sorry - there's so much sensationalist garbage in that - I don't think Joe Public is going to come out the other end 'informed'.
ElkGroveDan
Oh where to begin????

This gem is certainly worth noting.
Far from being a sign of the apocalypse, according to Dr Carter the supernova will provide Earth with elements necessary for survival and continuity.
helvick
It's just a fluff article, with some errors made worse by conclusions that are overly dramatic. It's nice to see that someone wants to write about a really interesting stellar object in the popular media, just a bit unfortunate that they've failed to check the facts and then couldn't help jumping in with some awful 2012 Armageddon references and overly melodramatic opinions.

The absolute magnitude of the Betelgeuse Type II supernova whenever it happens will be around -18 which makes for an apparent magnitude of around -11 here on earth (taking the absolute magnitude of Betelgeuse to be -6 and it's current apparent magnitude as somewhere between 0.2 and 1.2) . That's about midway between the brightest Iridium flares and a Full Moon, very bright as a night sky object but not a "second sun".

imipak
If only more hacks were prepared to say this (or make the call in the first place...)
JohnVV
i like this part
“They will flood through the Earth and bizarrely enough, even though the supernova we see visually will light up the night sky, 99 per cent of the energy in the supernova is released in these particles that will come through our bodies and through the Earth with absolutely no harm whatsoever.

well at 1300 ly those alpha particles will not have "too much" of an impact ( now at 130 ly or 13 ly that would be different )
and the neutrinos ( what i think Connelly means )well ,will do what ever they do
nprev
I am really looking forward to 2013... mad.gif rolleyes.gif
gndonald
Not strictly astronomy...

Getting Messenger probe into Mercury's orbit is like a giant game of billiard balls, says scientist

A SMALL NASA spacecraft is riding the brakes all the way to Mercury, about to pull a tricky manoeuvre to become the first man-made object to orbit the tiny planet.

After a trip of 4.9 billion miles and nearly six-and-a-half years, the Messenger spacecraft will try to careen into an egg-shaped orbit and fight off the gigantic gravitational pull of the Sun.

And the first comment advises people to "...Google NASA Mooned America... " wacko.gif

Getting Messenger probe into Mercury's orbit is like a giant game of billiard balls, says scientist
ElkGroveDan
Boffins used infrared light beams from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter to study rocks on the Nili Fossae area of the red planet

I've noticed that with this new global information age there has been a lot of cross-cultural exchange of slang and regional expressions, especially between the U.S., The U.K., and Down Under. I'm not sure though that "boffins" is ever going to catch on over here. Unless of course someone creates a children's cartoon about "The Boffins" who are a race of really smart Hobbits, and sells the inevitable stuffed toys that make great cuddly Christmas gifts.
Sunspot
I always thought "boffin" was always intended as a slightly derogatory term.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.