Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HiPOD
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Jan 1 2007, 05:03 PM) *
First of all, A Happy New Year to all of you smile.gif smile.gif

Let me share the latest finding of my "HiRISE Mars Sightseeing Flights": a colorized crop of the "Ius Chasma" image of the PSP5 releaseIncluded is a 50-meter scale symbolized as the shadow of an "imaginary" passenger-jet, just for a better "sense of scale" of the scenery ...

Ahaa! Caught you! You're obviously posting in the style of that last image post - down in the corner, it's a Jefferson Airplane...

Bob Shaw
CosmicRocker
I wasn't sure which thread would be best to post this in, since it is an anaglyph made from the color image of Eberswalde delta from release 1 and a grayscale image from release 8. I like the concept of a HiPOD thread, so here it is.

This full-scale anaglyph is from an area north of the oxbow anaglyph of release 8. It has a lot of relief and a nice view of the polygonal blocks eroding from these sedimentary layers. The scale bar is 100 pixels/25 meters long, and 2 pixels/50 centimeters wide.
Click to view attachment
Edit: I just wanted to note that this is a progressive jpeg, to give a false sense of instant gratification to those of you on dialup, like myself. A low resolution version builds relatively quickly, and the details fill in painfully slower. sad.gif
dilo
Great works, Tom and Bernhard! smile.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (dilo @ Jan 17 2007, 06:17 AM) *
Great works, Tom and Bernhard! smile.gif

I subscribe that!
Nirgal...How do you do that?! blink.gif
You know I'm saving them all...
In the end I'll print them all and keep your work as a treasure... smile.gif
CosmicRocker
Thanks for your kind comments, Marco and ustrax. smile.gif

I've been experimenting with color anaglyphs where only one image from the stereo pair is in color. It seems that it works much better when the colored image is for the right eye. The Eberswalde pair fortunately matched that criterion. I now find myself wishing that the rovers' Pancams had the color filters on the right side.

Anyway, that exercise started me wondering if there were any other HiRise stereo pairs where one of them was in color...and that led me to collect a listing of released HiRise images, and to learn how to decipher the HiRise image names. I haven't yet found any other stereo pairs that would make interesting false-color anaglyphs, but I thought the image catalog I collected might be useful to others.

I am posting an Excel spreadsheet that contains all of the images and their descriptions. It is easily sortable, and you can use the auto-filter buttons to filter the data fields in many convenient ways. I have also included links to the images, and a field indicating if color or stereo is available. (If I missed any, perhaps someone will let me know.) Thanks to the HiBlog, I learned that the file names are composed from the Mission Phase, Orbit #, and Target Code. I could not use that information to identify the location of the images, but I was able to use the Target Code to calculate the latitude of the center of each image.
Click to view attachment
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jan 22 2007, 06:05 AM) *
I've been experimenting with color anaglyphs where only one image from the stereo pair is in color. It seems that it works much better when the colored image is for the right eye. The Eberswalde pair fortunately matched that criterion. I now find myself wishing that the rovers' Pancams had the color filters on the right side.

People's eye/brain imaging system exhibits 'handedness'. Normally, one eye is dominant over the other, so it may well be that *you* see anaglyphs in a better way when you tickle the right-hand neurones - but other folk might do better the other way around! I don't know what the relative numbers are for right/left visual preference, but there's every chance that there is an overall bias towards one side or the other. Perhaps the instructions for looking at anaglyphs should include a suggestion that, if all else fails, the image should be flipped right-left.

Good work, though, I really enjoyed flying over the delta!

Bob Shaw
CosmicRocker
I'm sure you're correct about that. On occasions when I had to look at reversed anaglyphs with the glasses flipped I have difficulty seeing depth at first. My brain definitely wants the red filter on the left and cyan on the right. In the case of the half-color anaglyph I was hypothesizing that with the color image coming through the cyan filter, twice as much color information (blue and green) can pass. Whereas with color on the left, only red can pass. That may be an oversimplified way to look at it.

On a different subject, I realized that many more people could use the HiRise image list I made if I posted it in html rather than as an Excel file. This will not have the functionality of the spreadsheet I posted ealier, but at least it is a listing of all the images available so far, with ancillary information and links to the image page.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.