Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape St Mary
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
fredk
Hail great Beacon!

Cue music from film "Vertigo"!

Oppy - that's close enough!! blink.gif biggrin.gif
kungpostyle
Click to view attachment

Here is a look inside the shadow on the the face of Beacon's cliff
Stu
Click to view attachment

Wow...
Stu
Where IS everyone??? I thought there'd be images and mosaics flying in all directions tonight! blink.gif

That's the BEACON over there!!! We've talked about it for all these months, and we're here!!!

Maybe everyone's waiting until they release that pic of Oppy standing on the edge of VC as taken by MRO, at tomorrow's Media Briefing... (if that's what it is...? Wouldn't it be brilliant if it was an image sequence, with three frames, #1 showing one of the MER's being approached by a dust devil, looking all dirty and grungy, then #2 the rover enveloped by the dust, and #3 reappearing all shiny and new again! tongue.gif )
RedSky
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 5 2006, 02:12 PM) *

Hey, how about a "mystery man" standing down on the floor among the dunes. The floor seems so close from here, but I'm sure it quite a ways...
Tesheiner
I was saying that the view from the Beacon Cape would be better then from here, but in any case my reaction when looking to tosol images was the same as almost everybody here: WOW! cool.gif
Phil Stooke
Special processing of the shadowed cliff under the beacon... no sign of that finely-layered band. I haven't seen it anywhere else either, in the more distant views we have of the other capes.

Phil

Click to view attachment
diane
QUOTE (Shaka @ Oct 5 2006, 03:14 PM) *
Am I imagining things or is the Beacon 'Cabo' the only one that shows uplift rather than sag? Does this suggest something fascinating about the underlying structure, or is it just that a fragment of an upper 'evaporite' unit survives atop Beacon, and is lost everywhere else? unsure.gif

You're not the only one; it does look a little uplifty.
Click to view attachment
Some Photoshopping to lighten the shadows, and rotating to level the horizon, but it still looks verrrry interesting. I would guess that the height of Beacon relative to the rest of the rim, and the uplift, are related.

(my first image post, too)
Stu
QUOTE (diane @ Oct 5 2006, 07:55 PM) *
(my first image post, too)

Well done diane, nice one! smile.gif Welcome to the image processing club (from a VERY junior member!!)

Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
CODE
967 p2594.16 1   1   0   0   1   3    pancam_capestmary_rocks_L7

Cape St Mary? The Beacon?
ustrax
I know I'm pleased... rolleyes.gif
10th of January, 1520, Magalhães reaches Cabo Sancta Maria in Uruguay.
Here's the cape:

And guess what's it's major attraction?...
biggrin.gif
tty
QUOTE (ustrax @ Oct 12 2006, 10:38 AM) *

Kelp Gulls apparently biggrin.gif

tty
climber
QUOTE (ustrax @ Oct 12 2006, 10:38 AM) *
I know I'm pleased... rolleyes.gif
10th of January, 1520, Magalhães reaches Cabo Sancta Maria in Uruguay.
Here's the cape:
biggrin.gif

It is what we said : seen from Europe, Beacon's on the Far Rim biggrin.gif
Good catch ustrax smile.gif
Sunspot
QUOTE (kungpostyle @ Oct 14 2006, 12:47 AM) *

Where is that? huh.gif
dilo
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Oct 13 2006, 11:55 PM) *
Where is that? huh.gif

Really odd... IMO cannot be a portion of the beacon wall because we are too far to see such details.
Perhaps, with the new navigation software Oppy decided to descend from CapeVerde without tell us! tongue.gif
Anyway, this conglomerate of rocks is incredible, with each rock having different stratigraphy orientation!!! ohmy.gif

EDIT: oops, this is a beacon detail!
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...POP1767R0M1.JPG
dilo
Is worth to make a enhanced/sharpened version:
Click to view attachment
Clearly, stratified rocks are progressively sliding down...
dilo
The two frames were taken 1.5 hours apart, so in this simulated color view is like to have two different, colored light sources (the sharpened version was used for green channel):
mhoward
Context:

ronatu
Astonishing!

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...POP2594L7M1.JPG

Sol967

Left Panoramic Camera Non-linearized Sub-frame EDR acquired on Sol 967 of Opportunity's mission to Meridiani Planum at approximately 11:50:37 Mars local solar time, camera commanded to use Filter 7 (432 nm). NASA/JPL/Cornell
aldo12xu
Holy crap!

From sol 967:

Have they already started their descent? Is the above from Cape Verde's aeolian unit:

From sol 953:

Or is it near the top of Beacon (upper left)?

From sol 962:
fredk
QUOTE (aldo12xu @ Oct 14 2006, 06:23 PM) *
Have they already started their descent? Is the above from Cape Verde's aeolian unit:
Or is it near the top of Beacon (upper left)?

This was already discussed in the Cape Verde thread.
kungpostyle
New pan cams are down, many shots of the Cape St. Mary view we saw yesterday.

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...POP2596R2M1.JPG
kungpostyle
My try at martian color

Click to view attachment
alan
The large rock on the lower left has some interesting vertical streaks (the layering runs at roughly 45 degrees) I wonder what produced them.
aldo12xu
Thanks, Fred! Man, oh, man, I turn my head away for a day or two and I'm lost!!
RNeuhaus
I don't believe that Oppy has already descended into the Cabo Verde ramp but the PANCAM made a good zoom on the stratified rocks and they are not aligneated.

The Cabo Verde ramp has a slope of around 30 degree that is rather steepy and that ramp has no good sun orientation for its solar panels.

This might indicate that these rocks are brescias of the impact and they are in the process to fall off in the future.

Rodolfo
dilo
QUOTE (kungpostyle @ Oct 15 2006, 01:28 AM) *
My try at martian color

And this is mine, based on L456 combination with adjusted balance and some sharpening...
kanalje
QUOTE (aldo12xu @ Oct 14 2006, 07:23 PM) *
Holy crap!

From sol 967:

But what's with the ugly, fake horizon on the uppermost image of post?
djellison
QUOTE (kanalje @ Oct 15 2006, 10:01 AM) *
But what's with the ugly, fake horizon on the uppermost image of post?

Ugly...yes. Fake? What are you talking about. They've intentionally overexposed to get a clearer view of the rock thus causing saturation of the sky which has bled into the upper part of the rock.

Doug
mhoward
Here's your image at home, Dilo...

alan
Since posts about Cape St. Mary were getting scattered between two threads it appeared to be time for a new thread.
dilo
QUOTE (mhoward @ Oct 15 2006, 03:46 PM) *
Here's your image at home, Dilo...

smile.gif
kungpostyle
New pancams, nothing more on Cape St. Mary yet. It's hard to believe they are sitting there and not imaging it, I hope more come down today.

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...cam/2006-10-15/
Aldebaran
QUOTE (kungpostyle @ Oct 16 2006, 01:34 AM) *
New pancams, nothing more on Cape St. Mary yet. It's hard to believe they are sitting there and not imaging it, I hope more come down today.

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...cam/2006-10-15/

It must be getting more and more difficult to download anything this close to conjunction.
MarkL
QUOTE (dilo @ Oct 14 2006, 12:20 AM) *
Is worth to make a enhanced/sharpened version:

Clearly, stratified rocks are progressively sliding down...

Yes it's well worth it. Great detail. What caught my eye was the nearly polished surface of the rock in the lowest part of the frame. I would guess this was a fracture surface since it seems close to planar, although it looks faintly like there are diagonally oriented strata within it. The vertical streaks running down it are also interesting and perhaps may be from falling dust or sand. Would be nice to get a closer look of that.

We are also seeing more of the sheer cliff behind St Mary which will yield a nice view of the thin white line.
jamescanvin
Looks like we're back to work guys. smile.gif

Take a look at the anaglyph of the sol 976 (Cape Verde panorama) pancams of St Mary. ohmy.gif I can't wait for the whole pan. smile.gif

James
Gray
Yahoo!! smile.gif smile.gif
dilo
Look also to this sharpened and contrast enhanced version cool.gif
fredk
A beautiful jumbled mess on the cliffs of St Mary (beacon), from sol 974:
Click to view attachment
(Heavily stretched to bring out detail in the shadows.) We're seeing the sols with one pointing each starting to come in.

PS - let's keep St Mary to this thread!
WindyT
Thanks, Dilo! There's something in that shot that drew my eye. Lower right of the pic you enhanced.
Click to view attachment
Not enough info as yet, but is this going to be stratigraphic or possible ground water alteration?
From this point, it looks like the thickness varies. My initial vote for this would go to stratigraphic.
Interesting at any rate.
Nirgal
good to see Oppy back at work again biggrin.gif

here is a colorized version of dilo's sharpened image above:

Click to view attachment

smile.gif
nprev
Hmm...lots of scattered rocks (ejecta?) out beyond the crater's edge in this shot. If descent into the interior of Vicky is deemed too dangerous, maybe Oppy should check some of these out once the stratigraphic units have been identified like they were back at Endurance...

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...POP2402R2M1.JPG
Bobby
Maybe the Near Rimmers Maskot can help Oppy get into Victoria???
dilo
In the following stitch I used the great Nirgal colorization toghether with enhanced L257 pictures from Sol972-975:
Gray
WindyT.
You've identified an interesting feature. It looks like a zone or stratum that has been preferentially weathered into a broad groove that is mostly parallel to the bedding. It is also marked by a darker band of color. If you follow that darker band of color to the left of the image, it emerges a a some what resistant ledge between two recessed horizons. Based on those observations, I'd say it's stratigraphic.
If you will forgive some wild speculation, it could be stratigraphic and ground-water related. The bed that is more resistant to erosion, might mark a horzion occupied by an ancient water table. Mineralization may have occurred at the water/air interface forming a bed that became slightly more resistant to weathering. But that is wild speculation and as you said, we just don't have enough information yet.
Ant103
Hi biggrin.gif

After a one week internet black out, I'm back and ready for the recover of Mars visiblilty wink.gif biggrin.gif

So, here is a four picture pan of Cape Saint Mary :
MarkL
QUOTE (dilo @ Nov 1 2006, 08:27 PM) *
In the following stitch I used the great Nirgal colorization toghether with enhanced L257 pictures from Sol972-975:

The apparent striation in these exposed rock faces is fascinating. Almost like they were emplaced after being dragged or pushed. THat is a phenomenal image of CSM!
kenny
Truly wonderful pictures. The smooth slopes of planed-down ejecta in the Bay between us and Cape St Mary are really striking, sort of like a mega-breccia. They are clearly made of different materials combined - shattered bedrock blocks cemented together with a pulverised matrix from the Victoria impact, I imagine. How did the slope get to be so uniformly smooth? Aeons of wind erosion?

Kenny
Bill Harris
How did the slope get to be so uniformly smooth? Aeons of wind erosion?

That has to be it. Although the basic erosional processes on Mars and Earth are similar, the details are different. And this is the beginning of this phase of the exploration of Mars, so 'feets don't fail me now'. biggrin.gif

--Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.