Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cape St Mary
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Sunspot
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Nov 14 2006, 12:46 AM) *
Driving planned for sol 999 so clearly nothing wrong with the rover (before anyone starts panicking!)

Finds it hard not to panic blink.gif

Also the tracking website hardly works for me anymore, anyone else had that problem?
jamescanvin
QUOTE (ustrax @ Nov 15 2006, 03:41 AM) *

Brilliant! laugh.gif
nprev
ohmy.gif ...Awe-inspiring....thank you! smile.gif
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Nov 14 2006, 04:27 PM) *
... Also the tracking website hardly works for me anymore, anyone else had that problem?
I couldn't get it to return any results earlier today, but it seems to be working now, however slowly.
marswiggle
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Nov 14 2006, 12:46 AM) *
Anyone know when the first image of the beacon was taken?

James

I tried to find those earliest images flicking through my downloaded images with the aid of the great StereoPhotoMaker, and I possibly tracked the very first glimpse (I hope.) Of course someone may already have found the same before.

The series of the images of the Beacon emerging from behind the dunes, beginning sol 775 to 780:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...DLP2377R2M1.JPG
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...FWP2378L2M1.JPG
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...J9P2380R2M1.JPG
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...QEP2381R2M1.JPG

And a crop to aid finding it from the sol 775 image (the very first glimpse of CSM Beacon as I think).
CosmicRocker
It had to be right around the time Opportunity was climbing over HOAV. I went back today to look at the panoramas from that time with MMB, but I couldn't convince myself I saw it quite that early. This should be a great time to chase this down, while we are waiting for new images from Opportunity. That could be it. I think it was somewhere between 775-780.
fredk
Marswiggle, I'm in exact agreement with you - sol 775 was our first glimpse of the beacon, and that is it you point to in your image. I came to the same conclusion but hadn't posted yet because I wanted to use a pds image, but the analyst's notebook site is not displaying images now.

The best way to convince people of this is to show this image, from someone on this board at the time:
Click to view attachment
You can see the highest part of Vicky's rim just becoming visible, and the beacon is at pretty much the highest point.
atomoid
SOL 780 looks like the first clear view.
Here's some context with Tesheiner's map for SOL 780:
jamescanvin
Thanks for that, marswiggle & fredk, and the map link atomoid.

So long ago and so far away, I can't believe we're (hopefully) sitting right there on the fabled beacon now! cool.gif

James
Sunspot
We're going to miss Sol 1000 sad.gif blink.gif

I guess every thing's ok as there is a "Opportunity reaches SOL 1000" banner on the rover homepage.
Sunspot
Some NavCam pictures

http://207.7.139.5/mars/opportunity/navcam/2006-11-16/
Burmese
Hmmm...think they have the guts to sneak any closer to the edge? I would think they'd make a slight left turn and move closer to the tip of the promentory.
jamescanvin
I think we're here to get a look at the other side of Cape Verde. We're close enough to the edge for that.

After that I guess we'll head over to some of the beacon outcrop.
Indian3000
sol 994-995 site 76WU

Click to view attachment
Indian3000
and vertical projection 2cm/pixel
with my new methode smile.gif

Click to view attachment
ngunn
QUOTE (Indian3000 @ Nov 17 2006, 11:23 AM) *
and vertical projection 2cm/pixel
with my new methode smile.gif

Yikes! I think you should call that a vertigo projection.
Indian3000
sol 999

it's not very useful but it is all what we have now ! unsure.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Edit : Updated with new last datas ...
Ant103
Hi,

I'm in a little late... So, here is the FF76 site panorama or Cape Saint Mary wink.gif

And a desktop picture wink.gif

Gain compensation and antivigneting with MMB and "autostitiching". Gimp processing for colors.
mhoward
Sol 1002 Navcam facing east:

I like this perspective view:

djellison
Mike's 1002B nav pan.....polarized.

Doug
Nirgal
QUOTE (mhoward @ Nov 19 2006, 11:17 PM) *
Sol 1002 Navcam facing east:

perfect (and prompt !) panorama stitching work as usual, Micheal smile.gif

So do I smile.gif indeed one of the most dramatic "cliff views" so far smile.gif
Phil Stooke
Here's my take on oppy contemplating suicide...

Doug, you can avoid the 'pucker' effect if you add a bit of space at the bottom of the pan.

Phil

Click to view attachment
dilo
Another Sol1002 polar version (thanks to Michael for original stitch):
Click to view attachment
and vertical (50cm/pixel):
Click to view attachment
Watch your step, girl...

EDIT: changed size of first and orientation of second image
Tesheiner
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 20 2006, 12:19 AM) *
Here's my take on oppy contemplating suicide...

QUOTE (dilo @ Nov 20 2006, 12:53 AM) *
Watch your step, girl...

And I thought Oppy was already too close to the edge on sol 999... blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
mhoward
Nice polars, everybody. The funny part is, although polars always distort the view somewhat, I think these pretty accurately convey how alarming that dropoff is!
jvandriel
Here is my version of the Sol 1002 panoramic view.

Taken with the L0 Navcam.

jvandriel
MarkL
QUOTE (dilo @ Nov 19 2006, 11:53 PM) *
EDIT: changed size of first and orientation of second image

Michael, the mosaicked pan was gorgeous. What would be great Marco is if you could make eight or more of these with smaller dimensions, each oriented at 45 degree stops so you could run through a series of them and watch the surroundings rotate. Or is there a viewer that will do this smoothly? Sorry if I'm asking too much. One baby step ...

Click to view attachment
MarkL
To get some idea of scale (calling mystery mudflap gal) I calculated some distances from parallax in the navcam image pair that looked closest to straight down. I've included the original for comparison:

Annotated
Click to view attachment

Original
Click to view attachment

There is a very steep grade towards the 10m rock so I'd take the 3m rock as being at the level of the rover wheels. So at a guess, the drop from the rover to the floor below would be about 25-30m. It also looks as though Opportunity still has a bit of climbing to do to get to the top of the CSM promontory, so the height of that spot could be closer to 30m above the floor directly below. Has anyone been able to relate the view here to the one of the west side of CSM taken earlier from Cape Verde?
mhoward
QUOTE (MarkL @ Nov 20 2006, 07:27 PM) *
Or is there a viewer that will do this smoothly? Sorry if I'm asking too much. One baby step ...

There is always MMB. But if you don't feel like installing Java 3D, then the best way to view an equirectangular projection like I posted is to use a spherical (equirectangular) projection viewer. The best of these seems to FSPViewer on Windows.
MarkL
Thanks. I must install MMB. I have kept a mirror of the JPL site, but not the exploratorium so I am not keen to re-download the whole image set. Obviously it's a great tool though. Just a question of getting some free time.
remcook
QUOTE (mhoward @ Nov 19 2006, 10:17 PM) *

Is it just me or do you see the haziness very clearly here? Gives a nice sense of the vastness of the thing!
mhoward
QUOTE (remcook @ Nov 21 2006, 01:36 PM) *
Is it just me or do you see the haziness very clearly here? Gives a nice sense of the vastness of the thing!

I think the 'haziness' may just be an artifact of the anti-vignetting used (the black level is brought up a bit in the area that happens to be farthest away). Still, quite by accident, it seems to work :-)

Thanks. I must install MMB. I have kept a mirror of the JPL site, but not the exploratorium so I am not keen to re-download the whole image set. Obviously it's a great tool though. Just a question of getting some free time.

I think MMB's import feature can import a whole directory structure's worth of images. Plus, IIRC, MMB's raw image directory structure matches that of the JPL site, not Exploratorium. However, I haven't looked at it in quite a while.
ngunn
Interesting - I noticed that the shadows at the far side seem less dark, but (maybe wrongly) I put that down to the angle of illumination.
mhoward
Back on Sol 992, after driving away from the RAT hole:

Phil Stooke
Nice new view:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...SNP2421L2M1.JPG

Phil
jamescanvin
Opportunity future activity update: It looks like we'll get pancams of this side of Cape Verde tomorrowsol (1006) then driving on 1009.
dilo
QUOTE (MarkL @ Nov 20 2006, 08:27 PM) *
Michael, the mosaicked pan was gorgeous. What would be great Marco is if you could make eight or more of these with smaller dimensions, each oriented at 45 degree stops so you could run through a series of them and watch the surroundings rotate.

Mark, do you mean something like these?
Click to view attachment, Click to view attachment(same point of view and different zoom)

Pay attention, this is a flat, not DEM-based projection so distorsion is huge and do not reflect real crater structure but yes, from this perspective is quite dramatic... wink.gif
Stu
QUOTE (dilo @ Nov 22 2006, 06:54 AM) *
from this perspective is quite dramatic... wink.gif

"Quite dramatic"?!?!? If you zoom in on that right hand image you can see a Balrog plummeting towards the crater floor, with a wizard falling after it...!!!!! ohmy.gif

Can't wait for the view from (not too much closer to) the edge...
Tesheiner
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Nov 22 2006, 05:07 AM) *
Opportunity future activity update: It looks like we'll get pancams of this side of Cape Verde tomorrowsol (1006) then driving on 1009.

Yup. First I thought "1009? That's a typo error; it must be 1007. Let me check the PCDT web".
Then I found those post-drive imaging sequences planned for sol 1009.

It's quite unusual for them to plan so many sols in advance except on weekends.

WRT sol 1006 imaging plan I'm wondering if they will take the same shot looking at Cabo Verde on different lighting conditions (my guess: the second at 14:15). unsure.gif
CODE
01006 p2429.08 28  0   0   28  2   58   pancam_cape_verde_L257R2
01006 p2430.08 28  0   0   28  2   58   pancam_cape_verde_1415_L257R2
paxdan
It's Thanksgiving.
MarkL
QUOTE (dilo @ Nov 22 2006, 06:54 AM) *
Mark, do you mean something like these?
(same point of view and different zoom)

Pay attention, this is a flat, not DEM-based projection so distorsion is huge and do not reflect real crater structure but yes, from this perspective is quite dramatic... wink.gif

Those are great. Thanks. It's nice to see it from differing perspectives.
jvandriel
Enjoy.

jvandriel
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Nov 22 2006, 08:00 PM) *
WRT sol 1006 imaging plan I'm wondering if they will take the same shot looking at Cabo Verde on different lighting conditions (my guess: the second at 14:15). unsure.gif

Good catch I hadn't noticed the second entry.

1415 meaning 14:15 is a good guess, the problem is, 14:15 is a perfectly normal time to take images (Cape Verde was taken at this time) it may be the other one that is at an unusual time. unsure.gif

We'll know soon enough, should be a nice dataset. smile.gif

James
fredk
Soon enough is now!

Sol 1006 local time around 10am.

And local time around 2pm.
fredk
Perhaps the single most jarring image of the mission.

And an anaglyph from the afternoon view of Verde:
Click to view attachment
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 22 2006, 05:54 PM) *
And an anaglyph from the afternoon view of Verde:

Where's that swear jar? clink, clink clink
jamescanvin
I don't know what has happened to the rest of the Cape Verde pan, but I've updated my version with what we have.

James
dilo
Great, James.. and also your B/N stitch - anaglyph from last Sol1006 pictures are great, what odd/intriguing view!!!
jvandriel
Here is a coloured version of the Sol 1006 Cape Verde

panorama. Taken with the L2 pancam.

jvandriel
Tesheiner
I see you've moved from B&W and started to do some colorizations. wink.gif
Very nice one, Jan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.