Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Victoria and Opportunity from Above
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3
kenny
QUOTE (Shaka @ Oct 6 2006, 09:20 PM) *
I'd say this calls for a sonnet, Stu, possibly even an ode! wink.gif
Meanwhile, we can now resolve the longed for "Beacon" from orbit, but I'm a little unsure whether it's the white blob of evaporite marked 1 or 2. Anyone able to specify? Ustrax? Tesh? Fellow Far-rimmers?
Click to view attachment

I think the Beacon's prominence is not a matter of only brightness, but also of altitude above the general rim level, which is not so evidnet in this view. As a fellow (and now humbled) far-rimmer, I put it at the most prominent mini-cape SW of point 2, the second point to the SW. Look also at the ground level views from Oppy regarding altitudes

Kenny
babboxy
blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
heilige scheisse!!!!!!!!!!
Nix
What I'm looking forward to is a true color approximation of the color image rolleyes.gif

I've played a bit myself to 'get it right' but I prefer to wait for an official release...

Nico
Sacha Martinetti-Lévy
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 6 2006, 10:46 PM) *
>Now isn't a 1.6 Mbyte thumbnail an oxymoron?

Not if the subject image is 60+ Mbytes.

The more I look, the more amazed I become.

--Bill

Like the song too : The more I see - it, The more I love - it...

Thanks for everybody, this time the MRO staff, Whoe have the real right stuff. It's astounding. And I was clicking desperatly on MRO site last six monthes, whithout an image since the test ones.
I wasn't expected that anymore. Incredible, really incredible.
I know, no science in my words, only breath.

But the two teams are on the way of eternal souvenir, like Voyager mission. It's a part of history.

Thanks again.

Sacha from Paris (Fr)
Floyd
QUOTE (Shaka @ Oct 6 2006, 04:20 PM) *
Meanwhile, we can now resolve the longed for "Beacon" from orbit, but I'm a little unsure whether it's the white blob of evaporite marked 1 or 2. Anyone able to specify? Ustrax? Tesh? Fellow Far-rimmers?
Click to view attachment

I think the Beacon is the point a bit southwest also. One thing to look at is the shadow of Beacon on the floor of Victoria in the this picture.
dilo
Sirs, I too had breathing issues in the last hours... biggrin.gif
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Oct 6 2006, 05:46 PM) *
This image not only shows Oppy's present, but also its past. Here is a crop over Purgatory Dune:
Click to view attachment

Good catch, Jason!
compared with vertical projection: Click to view attachment
I can see rover tracks before and (barely) after stuck (red arrows). ohmy.gif
The white stuff is for sure the deep material moved during Oppy unstuck now spread by wind...
MRO image quality is reaching and even surpassing our wildest dreams! biggrin.gif
Denmike
I'm just glad they didn't publish pictures like these before Oppy's arrival to Victoria. That would certainly have taken some of the "Wow !" out of that experience, we'd all been counting down for, for months.

Hirise's capabilities surpass any dreams I had ! When the brave rovers eventually bite the dust, MRO will be able to feed us poor marsaholics and keep us entertained and amazed for years to come.

Congratulations NASA ! biggrin.gif
Sunspot
Viking Crater
Sunspot
Voyager Crater
Sunspot
Northern Erebus and monster Dunes. Remember these?
tedstryk
I have just ordered more RAM and a larger monitor...this might help...these images are so big!
slinted
Several hours before the MRO image was taken, Opportunity saw some clouds in the rear haz:

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...L8P1301L0M1.JPG
http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...L8P1301R0M1.JPG

http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...LJP1311L0M1.JPG
http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...LJP1311R0M1.JPG

They might well have cleared out by the time of the overflight, but on the off chance they hadn't, has anyone spotted any cloud-like features in the MRO image?
lars_J
Those clouds are likely high up and far away, out of view of this particular photo strip for MRO.
antipode
Hi all!

First post after many many months of avid jawdroppingness and admiration for the contributors here...

Anyone notice the tracks left by the rolling boulder just below the cape in the NW quadrant of Victoria?

Phil
jaredGalen
http://space.com/missionlaunches/061006_mr...y_victoria.html

"Opportunity has spent 21 Earth months exploring the Meridiani Planum region of Mars, eventually working its way from its initial Eagle Crater landing site to Victoria"

I hope that is just a typo!!

Edit: Most likely it is... smile.gif
"Opportunity is now into the 960th Martian day of a mission that was initially planned to span just 90 sols"
helvick
I think they got a bit confused about what was said at the press conference SteveS mentioned 21 months as the length of time it took to get from Endurance to Victoria which is about right, I think, as she left endurance around sol 310 or so.
ngunn
QUOTE (Floyd @ Oct 6 2006, 10:47 PM) *
I think the Beacon is the point a bit southwest also. One thing to look at is the shadow of Beacon on the floor of Victoria ...

I hope this is an appropriate place to record a thought on seeing what I think we could now call 'Beacon Ridge' in the magnificent HiRISE image. On the nature of the ridge - I wonder if it could be part of the rim of a pre-Victoria crater almost completely destroyed by Victoria. This could provide an independent explanation for why it is higher than it's surroundings and the possible presence of upturned strata, without constraining the Victoria-forming process to produce these outcomes.
odave
I'm late to the party - spent all day yesterday in my waterlogged crawlspace replacing a failed sump pump mad.gif I'm glad I had such an awesome reward after all that muck-work!

Add the thunk of my jaw hitting the computer desk to the chorus. HiRISE is soooooo sweet biggrin.gif
Bill Harris
>Anyone notice the tracks left by the rolling boulder...

Yes! Heck, that boulder was bouncing along. And there are several other boulder tracks in that north-northeast quadrant, as well as more boulders. I wonder if it is a preservation issue because of less aeolian deposition in tha area or if there is a difference in the evaporitic silicic strata in that area that makes it more prone to producing boulders?

At any rate, these boulders and tracks will be an excellent indicator of the driveability of the sand when Oppy takes the drive in.

--Bill
algorimancer
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 7 2006, 08:25 AM) *
>Anyone notice the tracks left by the rolling boulder...
...or if there is a difference in the evaporitic silicic strata in that area that makes it more prone to producing boulders?

I hadn't noticed the boulder tracks, but I had been wondering about the apparent concentration of boulders at the north side of the crater. Seasonal temperature differential, perhaps? Frost/CO2 cracking?
Indian3000
"recent" feature ? huh.gif

Click to view attachment

in NW of victoria
Indian3000
"interesting" feature ... ! blink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

no comment ... laugh.gif laugh.gif

in left bottom ( SW of victoria ) ...
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Indian3000 @ Oct 7 2006, 11:01 AM) *

At fist look it seems some unusual process has occured, but I think this strange looking feature is just the result of drift patterns around otherwise ordinary craters. interesting to those studying drift formation and wind patterns, I guess.

Maybe those craters are older than the sharper, darker one to the right?
kenny
Excuse my repetition of the reactions of others, but the HiRISE images are of course gaspingly stunning...

I for one am looking forward to getting a good view of the heatshield impact from above, and the poorly imaged parachute and back-shell, plus retro burst marks and airbag bounce marks, not to mention the lonely little lander...

Likewise over at Gusev, the curious gouge of Spirit's heatshield embedded in the rim of Bonneville...
Indian3000
a few months ago in a precedent post (here) I have make a comparison between my 3D projection vs MOC view , I can today compare it with HiRISE smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Oersted
QUOTE (Indian3000 @ Oct 7 2006, 05:01 PM) *
Click to view attachment
no comment ... laugh.gif laugh.gif

in left bottom ( SW of victoria ) ...

Could it be that the twinned craters were made at the same time, and then the features jutting out on either side would be the remnants of ejecta being squeezed out from the area between the craters, at the moment of impact?
nprev
QUOTE (Indian3000 @ Oct 7 2006, 07:57 AM) *
"recent" feature ? huh.gif
Click to view attachment

in NW of victoria

Hmm. Kind of dark, isn't it? Any possible link to the cobbles? huh.gif
Shaka
QUOTE (Oersted @ Oct 7 2006, 10:30 AM) *
Could it be that the twinned craters were made at the same time, ...

Seems plausible. Maybe the whole crater cluster represents a 'buckshot' impact from a fragmenting "rubble pile" or ejecta clump (secondary craters).
Stu
I hope no-one minds me posting this here... if they do I'll remove it and put it in the Rover-related writing thread. It just seemed appropriate here - and it is a request, after all... smile.gif

Sleeping

There she is. See her? That tiny black
Speck on the crater’s crumbling edge,
Just above the ledge where the New World
Falls away and tan becomes grey
With berries hissing and pouring into Victoria’s
Dune-rippled heart.

See that dark dot? We made that – Man,
Women and men, thousands of them,
Worker ants in white coats or ties, eyes
Fat from days without sleep, creeping
Home after dawn from their offices, factories and labs,
Whispering “Sorry…” again as they slide into bed;
Another meal or birthday party missed.

See that ink spot on the edge of the abyss?
We made this! Built it by hand in spotlight-bright
Clean rooms; we groomed, evolved apes
Bent metal against its but to our will.
Imagine that… monkey paws
That once chipped flint and ripped
Bloodied skins from spear-skewered prey
Now shape steel into wheels that rove across Mars!
Electronically embroidering silicon
Into miniature medieval tapestries
Of glorious silver and gold, they gently
Turn wrenches, tightening bolts on panels and plates late
Night after late night, weary but thrilled by
The sight of their dreams taking shape
Piece by piece by piece by piece…

No, that’s no fleck on the lens,
That’s a metal Magellan exploring
An ocean of dust, sailing o’er rust-
Coloured cobbles and stones to stand
On the edge of Victoria and, hands shaking,
Roar at the pink sky “Ultreya!!”

One day men, women and children - Mars-born,
With faces pale from lack of sun and limbs lengthened
To long-fingered branches by their world’s
Begrudged gravity - will come to this place to
Stare at Her statue and be amazed,
Imagining the day when brave Opportunity,
Caked with dust and wearied from her trek
From Purgatory and over and through
A thousand deep dunes hauled herself to the edge
Of the Bay and said “Enough… let me rest here,
With the great sky above and gnarled, gargoyle-
Cluttered cliffs on all sides; let me hide
Here, peering down into this stadium of stone.
I am Home… let me sleep… Make me travel no more…”

See that mote on Mars’ sands? There we stand,
Each of us, each martian dreamer,
Fanatic and Fool. Our hearts are Her heart,
Her dust-dried eyes our own.
A mere machine is She no longer – if she ever was –
But a ship, as noble and strong as the creaking,
Slapping-sailed craft after which the great crater was named,
Carrying our hopes in her hold as she boldly goes
Where no ape-built machine has gone before:
To the shores of an amber-hued ocean of dreams.

There she is. See her? That tiny black
Speck on the crater’s crumbling edge.

Sleeping…

© Stuart Atkinson 2006
paxdan
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 8 2006, 12:41 PM) *
Sleeping

See that ink spot on the edge of the abyss?
We made this! Built it by hand in spotlight-bright
Clean rooms; we groomed, evolved apes
Bent metal against its but to our will.
Imagine that… monkey paws
That once chipped flint and ripped
Bloodied skins from spear-skewered prey
Now shape steel into wheels that rove across Mars!
Electronically embroidering silicon
Into miniature medieval tapestries
Of glorious silver and gold, they gently
Turn wrenches, tightening bolts on panels and plates late
Night after late night, weary but thrilled by
The sight of their dreams taking shape
Piece by piece by piece by piece…

© Stuart Atkinson 2006

Bravo. Brilliant Stu.
diane
Beautifully done, Stu.

Now when Oppy finally does reach the end of her travels, you're going to have to get that engraved on a plaque, and go leave the plaque leaning against Oppy's wheels.
BrianL
Beautiful poem, Stu. However, the "Big Crater or die trying" crowd are going to get on you, too for suggesting this as her final resting place. laugh.gif

Brian
MahFL
Nice words Stu, very evokative.
Sunspot
A side by side comparison of MOC cPROTO and HIRISE

I resised the MOC image down a bit to try and match the scale of the HIRISE image.
helvick
Am I the only one who is amazed at just how much more tangible the HiRISE images are, after all they are only 2-4 times the resolution of MOC. It doesn't seem right to me that they should seem this much more real.
Nix
You're not the only one! I'm amazed at how much more 3-dimensional the dunes appear.

Nico
Jeff7
I'm finding myself questioning now just how much of the route we actually see in the HiRISE picture. From that, is it even possible to see Jammerbugt or Purgatory?
Or do the other B&W images cover more area than the color one?
This is based on the high-res HiRISE image, as well as these routemaps.

Here's what I stitched together: A crop of the HiRISE Victoria image (only cropped vertically, the horizontal view remains untouched), with a background image of a MOC traverse route. Purgatory and Jammerbugt, and indeed a considerable portion of the rover's travels, appear to be outside of the view of this HiRISE image.

Click to view attachment

Alright, there we go. Just FYI, the blank white rectangles on the sides were where I cut out some of the MOC imagery to reduce the filesize a bit.
paxdan
QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Oct 8 2006, 08:39 PM) *
I'm finding myself questioning now just how much of the route we actually see in the HiRISE picture. From that, is it even possible to see Jammerbugt or Purgatory?

See earlier in the thread for identification in the HiRISE images of: Purgatory identified by Jason. Jammerbugt identified by Sunspot. The colour section only covers the central portion of the HiRISE swath.
Jeff7
So is that it then, that those other features are only visible in the B&W imagery, and not the color? Were they only able to get multispecral coverage over a smaller area?
paxdan
Yup just the central region.
Jeff7
Ok, gotcha. Great, now I've got to download another huge image file.

smile.gif
SteveM
QUOTE (helvick @ Oct 8 2006, 03:05 PM) *
Am I the only one who is amazed at just how much more tangible the HiRISE images are, after all they are only 2-4 times the resolution of MOC. It doesn't seem right to me that they should seem this much more real.
I'm increasingly of the opinion that my guess from the early HiRISE images may be right, that is, that much some of the "texture" we were seing with the MOC was really noise. The comparisons suggest that now we're seeing the same areas with much improved S/N ratios.
QUOTE (Steve @ Mar 24 2006, 05:04 PM) *
At first glance the images look smooth and almost polished (as do some of the images from the HRSC on Mars Express). By comparison, the Mars Global Surveyor MOC images had a more granular or matte finish. I'd always assumed much of that was real surface texture, but now I'm wondering.

Was the MOC "texture" merely noise and are we seeing the promised improved signal/noise ratio from HiRISE?

Steve
MacAndrew
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 8 2006, 11:41 AM) *
To the shores of an amber-hued ocean of dreams.

Stu... nning. smile.gif

All of that.

And... "To the shores of an amber-hued ocean of dreams." is great - I mean, Shakespeare great (IMHO).
nprev
Just read your poem, Stu...beautiful and evocative...a very moving testimony to MER and its people.

I only hope that its vision is realized at Big Crater or beyond!
CosmicRocker
Yes, Stu. Those were very moving words.

There was an interesting article in a Tuscon Arizona newspaper recently about the "fine tuning" of the MRO imagery, especially with respect to Victoria. I can't wait for the stereo. The sweetest part is at the end.

Link

"We are processing, trying to get things just right, get everything perfect before we release things," Eliason said. "Let me assure you, we are the people's camera, and when we get our ground system operating, and when we get into some orbits, we will be releasing our images on a regular basis."
edstrick
Ok, gotcha. Great, now I've got to download another huge image file.

Only some 214 meg for the jpg..... rougtly 25,100 by 35,500 pixels....
djellison
QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Oct 8 2006, 08:00 PM) *
Were they only able to get multispecral coverage over a smaller area?

Yes - the HiRISE detector is 10 CCD's side by side in the red. The middle two CCD's though are joined by Near IR and Blue/Green CCD's as well, so you get basicaly, 20,000 pixel wide images with the middle 4,000 in pseudo-colour.

Doug
helvick
Any tips on what application to use to try and manipulate that beast of a jpg. The Gimp on my system (IBM T43p with 1GB RAM) reads it in _s_l_o_w_l_y_ , thinks about it for quite some time then tanks. Something to just chop it up into 100 2meg chungs would be a good start. smile.gif
djellison
More ram is must to be honest - I'm on 2GB and can just about manage it. Considering XP+Photoshop or GImp is probably taking half a gig....then going from 1GB to 2GB actually trebbles the ammount of memory available for the file within gimp/photoshop etc.

Doug
climber
I wonder how much science we can get from those views of the Rovers & All from above. I'm surprised by how "clean" Oppy looks like. I was expecting she get some colours from the dust and be more "integrated" to the scenary. Here are more questions I ask myself :
1- Oppy landing base didn't probably get some cleaning events (?) how she'll look like since last picture ?
2- Will be interesting to compare Spirit's desk from above to what we see on the ground AND what we see on the sundial. I guess she'll look like quite "red".
3- How "red" will Viking 1 & 2 look like?
4- Same question for Pathfinder

Now, in another thread I bet we'll see Oppy shadow and I was (nearly) right. What can we exactly see from Oppy's shape. To my eyes, there are two "bulges" behind; or, is this the HGA?

I was away last week and I must admit that my vision of Mars changed completely, thanks to MRO. We'll all have a very new vision of Mars in the next months. Lot of discoveries to come guys...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.