Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Far Rim
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2
CosmicRocker
Wow, you guys are amazing. I've been struggling with the LBL images in various filters for two nights, and have managed some decent views, but I am blown away. James, that must be one of your most spectacular images ever. Amazing stuff, considerering that it works across the L-R baseline shift.
fredk
Thanks for that James! I had made a version from your pans but I was hoping for one "from the horses mouth" so to speak!
climber
James : your work realy give a different perspective to what we had before.

Fredk (thanks for the reference smile.gif ) : I'm also looking forward to the stereo image from MRO since I cannot see any "cavities/caves" on the first image alone. Anyway, I agree this zone seams more complex from were we are.
jamescanvin
Thanks guys.

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Nov 6 2006, 05:16 PM) *
Amazing stuff, considerering that it works across the L-R baseline shift.

I am surprised that it works across the the whole image, especially when you consider that toward the left side the motion between the two images is almost along the line of sight. I guess the point is that it actually only works on small scales, if you zoom out, the crater does not look nice and round as it should, the Soup Dragon looks closer than the rim to the left of it. It would take some clever distortions of the images to fix that.

QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 7 2006, 04:12 AM) *
Thanks for that James!

Cheers, and thanks for reminding me about the DB-CV long baseline, it hadn't crossed my mind till I saw yours.

James
CosmicRocker
Well, it is all clear now, after finding the time to draw a real line on the map. I thought part of your anaglyph strayed to the left of the baseline, but I now see that The Beacon/CSM made that impossible. The scaling gradient across the panos really makes LBLs tricky, but at least the anaglyphs seem to be somewhat forgiving in that regard.

I still wonder if a different approach might work better. If one can calculate 3D positions for each pixel from pointing data and parallax, couldn't one back calculate the proper stereo? Isn't that what they are doing?
Stu
Nice new pix this morning...

Click to view attachment
Stu
Very intrigued by the foot of the cliff here...

Click to view attachment
alan
I've just noticed in Stu's image an there is more layers exposed below the cliffs.
Click to view attachment
This could be why they decided to go clockwise around Victoria.
djellison
QUOTE (alan @ Nov 7 2006, 12:28 PM) *
This could be why they decided to go clockwise around Victoria.

For answers to this question and more....
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=3448

wink.gif

Doug
ustrax
QUOTE (alan @ Nov 7 2006, 12:28 PM) *
I've just noticed in Stu's image an there is more layers exposed below the cliffs.

The cape beyond St Mary is also promising... blink.gif
fredk
Stu, those are nice images but they're a few days old now! I scooped you way back in this post.

They were slow appearing on the exploratorium site for some reason.
Stu
QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 7 2006, 05:35 PM) *
Stu, those are nice images but they're a few days old now! I scooped you way back in this post.

Yep, saw that, and v nice they were too. I wasn't suggesting they were "new", just my colourised versions of recent raws, trying to develop my image processing skills. Sorry for the repetition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.