Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting to 'Big Crater'
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
sranderson
Hmm.... give us some free comm time, a little training, and I bet a group of the folks here would volunteer to keep Oppy going for several years.

If you stay in one spot you are almost sure to find nothing new, but you never know what you might find if you keep roving.

Yes, I would rather see Oppy die in the middle of nowhere while trying to do something, than retire in place, running down to nothing for no purpose.

"Rove until Death!"
dvandorn
I cannot conceive of them cutting off funding on either rover if they're still working and in reasonably good health.

The instruments are *already* on Mars, and have worked extraordinarily well. Just the Pancam images, with all their filters, are highly valuable, even if the mini-TES and the IDD sensors break.

Does it make sense to spend the money on platforms that are already performing on Mars, or on platforms that we hope will successfully land there someday? (Yes, we ought to do both -- but I can't see foresaking working explorers to put the money into another program that might possibly end up elsewhere from where they're targeted, like the bottom of the Atlantic...)

-the other Doug
ustrax
QUOTE (sranderson @ Oct 2 2006, 10:02 PM) *
"Rove until Death!"

Couldn't agree more.
This babies are of a...roving kind, I'd rather see them proudly getting silence while on duty.
Sending us a last image as a farewell from somewhere ahead, beyond Victoria.
Opportunity (and Spirit...) are the perfect ambassadors of human nature, by saying that our adventure on Mars won't stop where predicted but when the last breath is taken.
mchan
Likewise, I like to imagine Opportinunity on her final trek across the great desert beyond, going until she can't go any further...
edstrick
....sort of like the cartoon of an alien, crawling across desert sands, away from ?his? crashed flying saucer, and saying: "Ammonia! Ammonia!"
NoVi
Pity that Big Crater fell just out of the scope of yesterday's MRO imaging.
djellison
LOL - 'just' - you'd need another two HiRISE images to get across to it.

Doug
CosmicRocker
LOL?
djellison
Laugh Out Loud
CosmicRocker
Sorry, Doug. I should have explained it better. I know what LOL means, I just didn't get the joke. NNTR.
djellison
I was laughing at the thought that 'Big Crater' was just outside that HiRISE image...which it isn't. You would need another two swathes widths to get there.

Doug
NoVi
Oops,
The orientation of the .._1780 image was upside down compared to images I normally see of Victoria/ Big Crater
cool.gif

Which brings me back to my orginal question:
is there some time line/ planning what parts of Mars are being imaged by MRO? Or is it for outsiders purely coincidental what images become available?
RNeuhaus
As far as I know, MRO will take pictures landing sites for Phoenix as the highest priority since the spring in the northern hemisphere is approaching soon and that seasson will be a problem with the increase of dust density in the atmosphere. Later, the other priorities is around the Chasmas as the one of the favorites MSL landing sities.

Rodolfo
nprev
QUOTE (ToSeek @ Oct 2 2006, 08:11 AM) *
I realize you weren't particularly serious, but I still didn't want LM to get credit where credit wasn't due, particularly since they have a long history of million-dollar screwups.

Preachin' to the choir, here...I used to do avionics maintenance on C-5s & C-141s. Whenever a malfunction would abruptly disappear for no apparent reason, we'd call it a "Lockheed fix"...rolleyes.gif
mcaplinger
QUOTE (ToSeek @ Sep 30 2006, 06:37 PM) *
I'd say LM can get royalties as soon as they reimburse NASA for the Mars Climate Orbiter, Genesis, and HESSI.

What did they have to do with HESSI? (which was nearly trashed by an inhouse test accident at JPL.)
Stephen
QUOTE (edstrick @ Oct 4 2006, 11:23 AM) *
....sort of like the cartoon of an alien, crawling across desert sands, away from ?his? crashed flying saucer, and saying: "Ammonia! Ammonia!"

You mean this one? smile.gif

======
Stephen
edstrick
Almost certainly the same one... though my memory is sort of the mirror image.. crawling off to the right...but that memory is many many years old.

Grin!
AndyG
QUOTE (Stephen @ Oct 9 2006, 03:12 AM) *

======
Stephen

EXCELLENT! I knew the drawing from the description - it was in a compilation of classic New Yorker cartoons that accompanied me through my childhood - but I hadn't seen it for about thirty years. Until Today.

Marvellous, and many thanks Stephen,

Andy
lyford
QUOTE (Stephen @ Oct 8 2006, 07:12 PM) *

I bow to your mad google skills - I gave up after a few minutes of false hits.
I saw this cartoon as a kid IIRC in the TimeLife book series on Life I think...
ToSeek
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Oct 9 2006, 02:04 AM) *
What did they have to do with HESSI? (which was nearly trashed by an inhouse test accident at JPL.)

Oops, wrong accident! I was thinking of the NOAA-N Prime accident, where the satellite fell over, causing millions in damage, because LM personnel did not follow proper procedures.
Myran
I tend to agree with edstrick that the image might have been flipped. Then again, the signature are not so I guess tere been two versions of it by the same cartoonist. (And I go smack myself with a brick so I stay on topic from now on)
imipak
"A UK-led team is challenging cherished ideas on Greek mythology by proposing an alternative site for Ithaca."

Heh, Auntie Beeb had me going for a moment there... smile.gif

I can't see that Oppy would be sent off on a probably fruitless quest for Ithaca/BC, as the value of a motionless rover with broken wheels but working cameras would surely be considerably higher perched on the rim (or inside) VC than stranded out on the plains somewhere between VC and BC. The variable relief would be likely to lead to more useful data on seasonal changes in wind, tau, dust accumulation/removal and so on. Oppy at VC would still be able to do 'fairly remote' sensing of conditions on the plains, but would also have a feature within which to look for microclimates or other localised phenomena.
MarkL
And since Victoria seems to be eroding, Opportunity can witness the process in action from a high promontory, while watching the seasons pass for several years. I'll bet a couple of chunks will calve off the walls at some point over the next few years. Would certainly be more interesting than watching sand blow across a featureless, flat plain.
ustrax
QUOTE (MarkL @ Oct 11 2006, 05:27 PM) *
And since Victoria seems to be eroding, Opportunity can witness the process in action from a high promontory, while watching the seasons pass for several years. I'll bet a couple of chunks will calve off the walls at some point over the next few years. Would certainly be more interesting than watching sand blow across a featureless, flat plain.

wheel.gif The nature of Opportunity is to rove, untill the end. wheel.gif
imipak
QUOTE (ustrax @ Oct 11 2006, 05:46 PM) *
wheel.gif The nature of Opportunity is to rove, untill the end. wheel.gif

Does a Mars Exploration Rover have the Ustrax nature? unsure.gif
RNeuhaus
MER was born luckly with wheels so she is very lucky to be able to rover to the end toward the Ithaca crossing any permissible road. smile.gif

Rodolfo
ustrax
QUOTE (imipak @ Oct 11 2006, 07:41 PM) *
Does a Mars Exploration Rover have the Ustrax nature? unsure.gif

wink.gif
“On the day you say yourself "Enough!" , you are already dead.
You shall always endure, you shall always go onward, you shall always walk.
Don't stop on the way, do not withdraw, don't leave the way.
That one that does not advance, stays behind”

Saint Augustine
(Translated by me, can someone please find a correct english version?...)
ustrax
Wouldn't it be great to multiply Victoria's "WOWs" 20 times?
We would need a XXL swear box... rolleyes.gif

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/ustr...ca_vic_comp.jpg
Edward Schmitz
The realy interesting thing about big crater, to me, is that it appears to predate the evaporite layers that opportunity has been investigating. The sediments seem to drap over the crater and the original rim is poking through in some spots. If we could investigate those peaks, we might see unaltered rock that pre-date the evaporite layers.

That would be exciting...

ed
Stephen
QUOTE (Edward Schmitz @ Oct 31 2006, 08:13 AM) *
The realy interesting thing about big crater, to me, is that it appears to predate the evaporite layers that opportunity has been investigating.

Of course, nobody will know what interesting things are over there unless and until Opportunity actually goes. biggrin.gif

======
Stephen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.