Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What did you expect?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2
MarsEngineer
Thanks Ken. Very much appreciated (I just noticed your thread). This milestone just creeped up on us.

hi
Doug,
It would be cool to find Sojourner but I fear that it might be too small even for HiRISE. Worth a try though. I have been wrong before.

I do not know much about the absorber that Beagle II used. I know about phase change material that stores the days thermal energy. We tended to find that turning the solar insolation into storable electricuty was more practical for us, but I am sure that for some landers there are good reasons to aviod the complexity of solar arrays, battery chargers, shunts, and batteries.

-Rob
DFinfrock
QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 14 2006, 09:12 AM) *
The biggest and best surprise has been being able to share this adventure with other people, the people reading this... "Well, here we go, six months of lonely screen staring, nobody else 'getting it'..."

You all 'get it', and I'm not alone when I look out at this new Mars. And that's wonderful. smile.gif

Stu:

There are a lot of great scientific and technical contributors to UMSF. But your lyricism and thought-provoking topic starters are unique. You said it all perfectly, for all of us. Thanks!

QUOTE (john_s @ Jul 14 2006, 04:46 PM) *
I loved what Stu wrote about this community.

It's just a bunch of rocks and sand, but it's on another freakin' planet! I'm glad you all "get" it too.

john_s:

That states it all so succinctly. My wife appreciates some of the pretty pictures the rovers send back. But she doesn't really "get it". We do.

David
Oersted
Rob, just want to say how much I appreciate you guys and girls at the JPL bringing the cosmos closer to us. Your work is technical, but the effects are emotional: explosions of joy in the hearts of space geeks around the world.

I remember getting up at 4.30 in the morning in Copenhagen, Denmark, for the EDL of both rovers. Going to the baker around the corner to buy milk and breakfast buns, and then hunkering down in front of the small intermittent video feed from the JPL control room. I shared in your total happiness, and silently praised the dedication and ressourcefulness of a country (the US) and an organisation (NASA/JPL) that would give me such an experience. A highpoint in human exploration, truly expanding the envelope of our knowledge.

I believed back then that the rovers would last about 3,000 sols, and am quite disappointed that they already seem to be reaching the end of their lifetime now. NOT!!! wink.gif

I am looking forward very much to the Mars Science Laboratory. The skycrane and bridle wil make for a very scary encore of the rovers landings. I hope there'll be two MSL's, but let's see. Couldn't Warren Buffett or Bill Gates cough up some money for a second one? - Write them an email... cool.gif
Joffan
What did I expect...

I guess I didn't think about it too much; but if you asked me I would've hoped for about about a year aggregate between the two rovers... I thought going for the hills was very optimistic for Spirit, but she got there, climbed them and came safe down the other side too. I thought Oppy would get to Endurance and finish her time on Mars there. At the time there was mention of a distant crater that was a wildly speculative target requiring ridiculous longevity and survival, dismissed instantly by more practical souls. It was of couse Victoria.

It's been a hell of a hayride. Now the optimism cork is out, we're almost expecting one of the rovers to be still communicating and semi-mobile by the time MSL arrives. However if you asked me now... I might expect another eighteen months, aggregate, between the two rovers. I'm kind of expecting Spirit to make it through at least another few months, and Opportunity to drive around Victoria's rim. And given that we've already had about 5 years between them, that is just incredible performance.
dvandorn
As long as, every day, we can ask "where are we going to go tomorrow, and what are we going to do when we get there," the MER adventure continues.

It's just getting really painful to think of the day when we can no longer ask that question, for either of the girls.

-the other Doug
CosmicRocker
For me, I was just hoping Sprit could crawl to the base of the hills, and that Opportunity would amble over to Endurance for a look down into the crater. What a freakin' amazing pair of adventures the engineers and scientists on The Team have taken us on. I, and my better half watched each of the EDLs in nearly real time on NASA TV, and I can assure all that we were almost as elated as the crews in the control room when each ended nominally smile.gif Until the MER missions laid down some serious boot prints on another world, it hadn't ever gotten this good. smile.gif smile.gif
QUOTE (DFinfrock @ Jul 17 2006, 09:49 PM) *
... There are a lot of great scientific and technical contributors to UMSF. But your lyricism and thought-provoking topic starters are unique. You said it all perfectly, for all of us. Thanks!
That states it all so succinctly. ...
I wasn't going to comment in this thread, since all of the good points had already been made, and many quite eloquently. Thanks for capturing a couple of them for reconsideration.

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jul 18 2006, 09:33 PM) *
As long as, every day, we can ask "where are we going to go tomorrow, and what are we going to do when we get there," the MER adventure continues.

It's just getting really painful to think of the day when we can no longer ask that question, for either of the girls. ...
How true. It is really painful to consider the eventual "End of Mission" that we all realize will be upon us one day, and possibly when we may least suspect it. It will be doubly painful, since we have two beloved and intrepid explorers to care about. With some luck, one or both will survive in some capacity until we have a new focus on Mars. Survival until MRO is piping home data is almost assured. If I've got the timeline right, Phoenix will be next, and then MSL. ??

The good news lately is that more are "getting it" every day.
MarsEngineer
QUOTE (Oersted @ Jul 18 2006, 02:22 PM) *
Rob, just want to say how much I appreciate you guys and girls at the JPL bringing the cosmos closer to us. Your work is technical, but the effects are emotional: explosions of joy in the hearts of space geeks around the world.

I am looking forward very much to the Mars Science Laboratory. The skycrane and bridle wil make for a very scary encore of the rovers landings. I hope there'll be two MSL's, but let's see. Couldn't Warren Buffett or Bill Gates cough up some money for a second one? - Write them an email... cool.gif

For the entire team, thanks Oerted! I was our privilege.

I doubt that Buffett or Gates have an interest in space exploration, but I am very happy that they have chosen to invest so generously into their Philanthropies. They will make a big difference.

We are working hard to make MSL a success, even with only one rover. It is a challenge; they all are.

Thanks for your support and enthusiasm.

Fellow Mars geek,
Rob
Marz
QUOTE (DFinfrock @ Jul 17 2006, 09:49 PM) *
Stu:

There are a lot of great scientific and technical contributors to UMSF. But your lyricism and thought-provoking topic starters are unique. You said it all perfectly, for all of us. Thanks!
David

I second David's statement -- thanks, Stu! (BTW - are you the David Finrock of meteorological fame in Texas?! )

My hopes were much more wild than my expectations for the MER campaign, but from my very limited knowledge of the landing sites, I expected Spirit to land in something that resembled a desert flood plain. Rounded boulders, sorted gravels, etc... When the first results came back as everything very basaltic, then I transferred those expectations to Bonneville crater. That crater will show this was a floodplain buried in lava... so after that humble pie, I hoped Spirit would make it to the Columbia Hills and see obvious signs of either a flood or lake. So from that perspective, Spirit has failed to meet my expectations huh.gif , but the the experience of following this mission in "real" time has surpassed my expectations. smile.gif

Opportunity I thought would be a mission only a geologist would love: a "boring", endless expanse of sand and small stones. Instead, the evaporite layers were even beyond my expectations at Gusev, since there is evidence of liquid water that persisted over long periods of time, and not a fleeting flood. I cannot imagine any description of Mars geology now being complete without a reference to Meridiani, so from that standpoint, Oppy is a landmark mission.
kenny
What did I expect at the beginning...?

Well, I remember the same discussion of prior expectations about the Vikings away back in 1976, when a friend and I concluded that one would work and one would crash like the Russian landers. We were stunned and amazed when Viking turned up 2 for 2, and awe-struck by the first photo of footpad, sand and little pebbles. And the sky was blue for a few days, until NASA re-calibrated against the spacecraft-mounted color chart!

So my advance thoughts on the 2 MERs reflected the initial Viking caution rather than the actual out-turn. I thought Spirit would work OK for a few months, and that Opportunity would be able to send photos but wouldn't get off the lander (or vice versa). Once they were both safely down, I thought Spirit was finsihed when the system crashed in the early days, and thereafter the progress to the rocky rim of Bonneville was so painfully slow that my best hope was to see into the crater. I couldn't imagine reaching the hills.

Once Oppy was down, and we later got those first enticing views out of Eagle from near the Blueberry Patch, I just wanted to see the aeroshell remains and Endurance. I couldn't imagine going further !

The whole thing since has been so extraordinary - geology, astronomy, meteorology and artistic photography. It has absolutely entranced me and I log in every day.

Kenny
DFinfrock
QUOTE (Marz @ Jul 19 2006, 09:28 PM) *
I second David's statement -- thanks, Stu! (BTW - are you the David Finfrock of meteorological fame in Texas?! )

I don't know how much fame is involved. But yes, I have been doing the weather for the NBC station in Dallas-Fort Worth for 30 years now.

I had hoped for a career in meteorological research, perhaps in Antarctica, and in my wildest dreams, Mars. (I graduated from Texas A&M about the time of the Viking landings.) But sometimes life throws you a curve, and I have wound up spending my entire career in forecasting for a television station.

David
Stephen
QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 13 2006, 08:27 PM) *
Squyres is on record saying that he thought, 120 - 140...maybe 180.

Personally - I was thinking 180, twice the life of Pathfinder just about.

900....don't be so stupid.

smile.gif

Doug

In one sense the MERs have still not surpassed the Sojourner part of Pathfinder (although they're now very close).

Pathfinder's little rover was only supposed to last a week but ended up lasting as long as the base station: 83 sols. That's nearly twelve times longer than it's projected lifetime.

Spirit & Opportunity won't surpass that milestone until (by my calculations) around about Sol 1068.

======
Stephen
climber
Talking about longevity, I wonder for how long were disigned the "stuff" used only once. I mainly think of what was used to deploy the rovers... the "Origami devices". Were they only pyros or were there some motors to deploy solar panels wings, weels? Side question is : is there some unused devices that can still operate? Would have been good to stow Spirit's right front weel for exemple or to shake the solar panel (if the dust didn't stick).
djellison
There were motors to open the petals of the landers, and the solar arrays. The ones for the petals were used multiple times, to try and shuffle airbags around with Spirit, and to make the egress a little easier for Opportunity.

The solar array motors, I'm not sure. I wouldn't want to use them to 'shake' dust off...the potential for damage is huge. They may even be totally broken, or unuseable at the moment.

BUT

If I could guarentee them working the other way in a few months time (which is an impossible thing) , I might be tempted to drive solar array motors just 10 degrees or so if the geometry means it would help the power issue.

The front wheel deployment 'clicked' into place iirc, and so couldn't be 'un' driven as I understand it.

Doug
remcook
To be honest, I didn't really have expectations, just hopes. Hopes that they would work and they would do well. Seeing the first shots were just marvelous and everything after almost a bonus. But now they have done better than I even hoped and with this forum in place the whole 'MER experience' is just far better than I could have imagined. Bless the internet (and Doug of course)!
These days I almost take the rovers for granted, but sometimes stop and think how cool this all is cool.gif
May the rovers live on and on and on and on and on
climber
QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 21 2006, 01:31 PM) *
There were motors to open the petals of the landers, and the solar arrays. The ones for the petals were used multiple times, to try and shuffle airbags around with Spirit, and to make the egress a little easier for Opportunity.

Oh yes, I remember that

The solar array motors, I'm not sure. I wouldn't want to use them to 'shake' dust off...the potential for damage is huge. They may even be totally broken, or unuseable at the moment.
BUT
If I could guarentee them working the other way in a few months time (which is an impossible thing) , I might be tempted to drive solar array motors just 10 degrees or so if the geometry means it would help the power issue.

Yes, in all case this would be a trade between risks & benefit. Just currious is they are still in working order since so many thing happen that were though impossible.
The front wheel deployment 'clicked' into place iirc, and so couldn't be 'un' driven as I understand it.
Doug

That was definitely the safest way to do things and I wonder if it could be a solution for MSL to "fix" this by allowing this capabilty. I remember of such a discution 3 months ago about how to fix Spirit stucked weel but I don't remember seing this "solution" be proposed.
ljk4-1
Have they determined how "sticky" Martian dust is?

Is it more or less so than lunar dust?

This information may determine whether tipping the rovers any would
make a difference or not in terms of getting rid of dust.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.