Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mogollon Mi's
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2
Bill Harris
New images at Exploratorium this afternoon. Some Nav- and Pancam of the drive onto the outcrop. But importantly, she did a RAT and made a series of MI images... biggrin.gif

--Bill
Vladimorka
The RAT hole autostitched - no bluberries as we know them - just as Squyres said earlier.
Click to view attachment
ElkGroveDan
This is getting interesting. Like, what are the dark inclusions? Same stuff as the cobbles?
mike
They should put the micro-micro-imager on those dark globs and see what they are exactly.. oh, wait. Can I fly to Mars yet?
atomoid
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 4 2005, 10:24 PM)
This is getting interesting.  Like, what are the dark inclusions?  Same stuff as the cobbles?

There were the same dark spots from Eagle and Endurance, but those were similarly larger than these ones, as it would seem relatively the same size as the bloobs one the surface are, (im assuming the dark spots are sawed-off blueberries). the bloobs are so much smaller (and irregular) as we go south...
CosmicRocker
Those look like Captain Crunch Frosted Miniberries to me. laugh.gif Well, forget the frosted part.

The irregular miniberries are back, so what does that mean? It would be odd for them to appear again further up-section.

Here is an Autostitch mosaic of the pre-RAT area. It appears to me that the concretions are preferentially aligned with the bedding planes.

edited to add: The bedding plane alignment is most apparent in the image pair Bill posted above. Also, we aren't at Mogollon yet, are we?
Tman
All around baby-blueberries here? biggrin.gif

Tried to match your two MI pans in a GIF:
(1,02 MB / 4s per frame) http://www.greuti.ch/oppy/ratmogo.gif

It's difficult because the course of the crack isn't exact the same already in few millimetres depth.
Tesheiner
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Nov 5 2005, 08:07 AM)
Also, we aren't at Mogollon yet, are we?

Not yet.
Let me take this opportunity to remind this:

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Oct 23 2005, 12:58 PM)
Any bets for when Spirit, oooops, Oppy would reach Mogollon rim? I would say around sol 640.

Somebody else wants to propose a sol?
Sunspot
I'll say 643...... smile.gif

....by the way the total drive distance, according to the latest STATUS REPORT is 3.99 miles.
Bill Harris
You're right. We ain't there yet. Ole Bill jumped the gun. What can I say? I was giddy about getting to this side of Erebus and pulling out the handlens and rock hammer...

We can discuss the strat- and lith- of this area in the context of tying what we saw at Eagle/Endurance, and at the Erebus Highway, and what we _might_ have seen at the Fourlane as we approach Mogollon. If Doug wants to (or can) rename this "Erebus MI's", fine; otherwise, we can use this as a pre-Mogollon discussion.

This outcrop (have it been named yet?) impresses me as similar to what we saw at the Fourlane: bedded and with less-visible blueberries. It is like the outcrops at the Erebus Highway in that a RAT shows smaller and less spherical blueberries and ghost-berries.

We (Aldo??) need to compile a list of the sites and lithologies we've see this far, much like was done for the Columbia Hills. I'm losing track of the players...

We need a close look at those cobble lag deposits while we're here...

I'm attaching an overview image of the zones we've seen recently.

--Bill
Bill Harris
An update from the MER/JPL site:

"Sols 633 and 634 (Nov. 4 and 5, 2005): The two-sol plan is to kick off the robotic arm campaign at Olympia. The plan includes grinding a target called "Kalavrita" with the rock abrasion tool, inspecting the target with the microscopic imager both before and after the grind, and using the panoramic camera to take images for a mosaic. Output from the solar panels on sol 633 was 528 watt hours."

Kavalrita is a city in Greece, as Olympia is a mountain in Greece. Clearly, we ain't in Colorado, yet.

--Bill
TheChemist
Actually, Olympia is the place where the ancient olympic tooks place. The mountain that housed the gods is Olympus. smile.gif
Joffan
Did anyone bring a hammer and chisel? I really want to split open those layers... rolleyes.gif

Aside from which, Oppy's RAT still seems to be going great.
aldo12xu
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 5 2005, 12:15 PM)
We (Aldo??) need to compile a list of the sites and lithologies we've see this far, much like was done for the Columbia Hills.  I'm losing track of the players...

That's on my "to do" list, Bill, but I'll be moving it up in priority! Hopefully before the end of the month I'll have something.

Those MI's are really interesting. It looks like there are two types of spherules: The larger, lighter toned ones similar to what was seen at Eagle and Endurance and the smaller, darker more irregular shaped ones. They both seem to crosscut bedding planes without deforming them, so they must both be products of post deposition diagenesis.
Bill Harris
Indeed, these latest RAT MI's are interesting. We see subtle yet profound changes in the lithology (blueberries) and the character of the evaporite. I keep planning to sit back and go through the differences between what we've seen at Eagle, Endurance and Erebus (and misc points in between). I believe that we've moved down in the stratigraphic section and could also be looking at lateral (facies) changes. It will be interesting to see what we find at the bluff at Mogollon; I believe (and/or hope) that there an underlying dark unit and that might help to define the history of this area. But Oppy can take her time getting there; every rock she looks at on the way is another piece of the puzzle.

--Bill
Bill Harris
There are several new MIs on Exploratorium, 11/12/05. The MI's are of this
cobble...

--Bill
Reckless
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 13 2005, 03:03 AM)
There are several new MIs on Exploratorium, 11/12/05.  The MI's are of this
cobble...

--Bill

Here's a quick autostitch of the cobble.
Reckless
Joffan
So what might these two white splotches on the cobble be? (I turned it round as my neck was aching).
mike
They might be nothing special, or they might be something special. Fly me up to Mars and I'll find something special, I guarantee it. Perhaps if I sit in this chair and close my eyes reaaaaaal tight until my brains almost pop out of my eyes, I'll be there. IT WORKED!

Those splotches are the remnants of dead Martian lichen (basically). Enjoy. smile.gif
Bill Harris
The cobble is dark, fine-grained, and, applying the "duck criteria", my first impression is that it is basalt. Those white areas are either reaction rims around weathering minerals or amygdules. That dark area on the left appears to be a weathering crust. The prevailing wind direction (NW) comes from the upper left and aeolian erosion can bee see on that side. The underlying blueberries are of a size consistent with what we see in the local evaporite.

I've attached a pan of the MI images with an inset showing the structure of the crust.

Too early to make any firm judgements, but it looks like a rock. We'll be seeing other examples...

--Bill
edstrick
Chunks of a freeze-dried Mars Bar.. .. obviously!
Joffan
Thanks for the straight response Bill. Amygdules being associated with flowing water would be exciting although that's probably in the "Given an inch, take a mile" category of judgements.
Teleporting-Mike's lichen assessment would be even better of course.
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 14 2005, 04:17 AM)
Too early to make any firm judgements, but it looks like a rock. 
Careful now, don't get carried away laugh.gif
Bill Harris
"Amygdules" was my first thought on seeing this, but was used more in the context of "mineral-lined cavities". But taken wrong, it could be a dangerous description since it implies things that might not be.

We'll see where second looks at this go.

I like freeze-dried Mars Bar.... biggrin.gif

--Bill
edstrick
Well... one thing we're seening in abundances are FLR's.

Back in the mists of ancient history.... USGS and other geologists were giving some probable future moonwalking astronauts training in field geology. Astronauts, supposedly as usual, were emitting NASA acronyms in every other sentence and the geologists were getting tired of auditory alphabet soup. So they hatched a small conspiracy.....

The geologists gathered in a cluster and were jabbering excitedly about this FLR, handing a rock back and forth and constantly referring to the FLR.

Finally, an astronaut had to ask: "What's a FLR?"

The geologist with the rock held it up, threw it off over his shoulder, and pronounced: "FUNNY LOOKING ROCK". The astronauts had been HAD.

(I've recreated this story from memory, ghods know where I got it from, but I'm sure I've embellished it, but the essense is unaltered)

And yes. Mars has a lot of FLR's.
Joffan
Another thought on the possibility of lichens: this Astrobiology mag article implies that they're pretty hardy beasts, but may have trouble with re-entry ... however may these lichens arrived on Mars in 1976? Has terraforming accidentally started already?
ljk4-1
QUOTE (Joffan @ Nov 15 2005, 03:10 PM)
Another thought on the possibility of lichens: this Astrobiology mag article implies that they're pretty hardy beasts, but may have trouble with re-entry ... however may these lichens arrived on Mars in 1976? Has terraforming accidentally started already?

There is a thread on the lichen space survivors here, complete with mission images:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=1670

As for lichen on Mars that came with Viking, I don't see how. Those probes were seriously sterilized. I can imagine a few hardy microbes that might have made it, but not lichen spores. And even then I have trouble imagining them surviving on the planet's surface for very long.
mike
QUOTE (Joffan @ Nov 15 2005, 12:10 PM)
Has terraforming accidentally started already?

It's impossible to say, really.. but knowing that chunks of Earth and Mars are transferred between one another on a fairly regular basis, it seems to me that any possible terraforming would have started already. Then too maybe we were originally Mars-formed, and so any 'terraforming' of Mars will just be re-Mars-forming, or just plain re-forming.

But yeah, wait and see, that's all we can really do. I don't see any massive lichen blooms on Mars just yet..
JonClarke
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 13 2005, 02:03 AM)
There are several new MIs on Exploratorium, 11/12/05.  The MI's are of this
cobble...

--Bill

Could be that this is another meteorite? It looks much darker, more compact and finer grained than the other rocks in the area, the depressions on the surface look like regmaglypts, and the line surface texture is not unlike a fusion crust (but could also be simply desert varnish).

Jon
Bill Harris
It might be, but I'm truthfully not sure what these cobbles are. Oppy has looked at two examples thus far and it would be nice to look at other specimens. I'm sure we'll see more as Oppy nears the bluff at Mogollon. The one thing that argues against meteorite is that these cobbles tend to occur as apparent lag deposits.

--Bill
paulanderson
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 17 2005, 05:24 PM)
It might be, but I'm truthfully not sure what these cobbles are.  Oppy has looked at two examples thus far and it would be nice to look at other specimens.  I'm sure we'll see more as Oppy nears the bluff at Mogollon.  The one thing that argues against meteorite is that these cobbles tend to occur as apparent lag deposits.

--Bill

And, fwiw, Squyres had already stated back in August that the cobbles aren't meteorites, they're Martian, and unique, but we're still waiting for more details...!
Bill Harris
That's the quandry; we know more what they aren't than what they are... biggrin.gif

--Bill
JonClarke
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 18 2005, 01:24 AM)
It might be, but I'm truthfully not sure what these cobbles are.  Oppy has looked at two examples thus far and it would be nice to look at other specimens.  I'm sure we'll see more as Oppy nears the bluff at Mogollon.  The one thing that argues against meteorite is that these cobbles tend to occur as apparent lag deposits.

--Bill

Actually, lags would be a good place to look for meteorites.

The cobble seen in August was a long way away, just because that may not of been a meteorite says nothing about this one. Did it have the possible regmaglypts and fusion crust? Anyone got an image for comparison?

Jon
Bill Harris
It seems that Oppy looked at two cobbles on the Erebus Highway; attached are MI's of each.

--Bill
JonClarke
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 18 2005, 08:25 AM)
It seems that Oppy looked at two cobbles on the Erebus Highway; attached are MI's  of each.

--Bill

Those look much more like normal rocks, they lack the meteorite-like features (the possible regmaglypts and fusion crust).

Jon
Bill Harris
Current Mission Status at http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/sta...tml#opportunity :

Opportunity finished a campaign using the robotic arm on a cobble called "Antistasi." The Mössbauer spectrometer and alpha particle X-ray spectrometer data show that the cobble is very basaltic

More MI's at Exploratorium on 11/18/05, haven't looked closely, yet.

"Antistasi" is a Greek term for "resistance fighters" (more or less), in keeping with the Olympia theme. I originally thought "Anastasi" since the theme for the upcoming region is Arizona.

For your FWIW file...

--Bill
Bill Harris
The MI's are the rest of the series made on the cobble Antistasi last week; however, there was an L456 Pancam of that target, which is appended below.

--Bill
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 18 2005, 09:18 PM)
"Antistasi" is a Greek term for "resistance fighters" (more or less), in keeping with the Olympia theme.  I originally thought "Anastasi" since the theme for the upcoming region  is Arizona.

Actually if you are referring to the South Western U.S. "Ancient Ones" the correct spelling is Anasasi.....

If you are ever out that way, (it's not too far from the Grand Canyon) you simply must plan for a day or two climbing in and around some of those ruins -- just amazing.
tty
Actually it should be "Anasazi"

tty
jvandriel
ElkGroveDan

last year September, I was on a 4 week vacation in the Western USA and stayed 1 night

at the Anasazi motel along highway 89 on our way to the Grand Canyon the next day.

The stay was to short for seeing the ruins. Maybe on a later vacation?

jvandriel
TheChemist
More MIs appear today at exploratorium : http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...ger/2005-11-22/

The first four show a nice black ribbon in the rock, better seen here, which I'm sure our resident geologists will find interesting smile.gif

The last four MIs show another target, but include a black splot that covers the same sand spot area in all of them. Any idea what causes this ?
dot.dk
QUOTE (TheChemist @ Nov 22 2005, 06:19 PM)
The last four MIs show another target, but include a black splot that covers the same sand spot area in all of them. Any idea what causes this ?

I think it is caused by the contact sensor on the MI smile.gif

TheChemist
Thanks dot.dk, that makes sense smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (TheChemist @ Nov 22 2005, 06:19 PM)
The last four MIs show another target, but include a black splot

Didn't you read Treasure Island as a boy? It's a pirate thing.

The Black Spot
Bill Harris
I think that the black ribbon is just a shadowed fracture; however, I notice that the blueberry distribution is increasing to it's former level.

Could it be that we're looking at a new type or variety of blueberry, the b l a c k b e r r y ?

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--Bill
TheChemist
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 22 2005, 08:44 PM)
Didn't you read Treasure Island as a boy?  It's a pirate thing.

The Black Spot

Treasure Island as a boy ? blink.gif
I 've read just a couple of months ago Long John Silver by Bjorn Larsson, where probably the black spot is also mentioned, and still could not make the pirate connection laugh.gif
sranderson
QUOTE (TheChemist @ Nov 22 2005, 12:19 PM)
More MIs appear today at exploratorium : http://nasa.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportu...ger/2005-11-22/

The first four show a nice black ribbon in the rock, better seen here, which I'm sure our resident geologists will find interesting  smile.gif 

The black line is just a crack -- inverted by lighting and the way the human mind works. Rotate the image 180 degrees and you'll be amazed.cool.gif

Scott
Bill Harris
Yes, baby, yes baby, go for it.

And here I am stuck with bad (SLOW) modems at my ISP node and all these pretty images a-waiting.

--Bill
TheChemist
QUOTE (sranderson @ Nov 23 2005, 09:33 AM)
The black line is just a crack -- inverted by lighting and the way the human mind works.  Rotate the image 180 degrees and you'll be amazed.cool.gif

<ashamed>
Thanks Scott, this is the third time this happens to me with an image. You can't teach an old dog new tricks .....
</ashamed>
dilo
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 23 2005, 08:02 AM)
Yes, baby, yes baby, go for it.

What an incredible outrop! Stunning eroded rocks, look at this enhanced anaglyph:
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (dilo @ Nov 23 2005, 10:42 PM)
What an incredible outrop! Stunning eroded rocks, look at this enhanced anaglyph:

That is one of the best analglyphs I've seen yet. What a treat!

I did have to lean back a little more than usual for my eyes to get comfortable. Did you increase the layer separation or something? (I'm not complaining, but it is a bit different).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.