Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dark Streaks At Victoria Crater
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (deglr6328 @ Dec 26 2005, 07:04 AM)
I have heard that when in the center, if you lie on your back and look up it produces a visual illusion somewhat analogous to floating in space looking down at Earth. True?

Sadly the interior of the crater is closed to the public. Tourists are restricted to the rim and visitors' center and outlook platforms.

Though if we ever did put together a USF tour I would guess that we could arrange access for "scientific" purposes. There is a mine shaft at the bottom that has been locked up. Not sure if it is still accessible. (read the history of Barringer Crater at one of the many sites on the web). The entire site is privately owned, and they will prosecute you for theft for picking up rocks. It is possible to purchase iron fragments that have been located across the desert nearby and miles away.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Toma B @ Dec 26 2005, 05:20 PM)
huh.gif  blink.gif  biggrin.gif You are joking right?  biggrin.gif  blink.gif  huh.gif

No I'm serious. I remember the date well and why I was travelling that week. I had a horrible hangover that morning. I met some truckers on my CB radio the day before and when they learned it was my 27th birthday and I had been dumped by a longtime girlfriend the week before, they inisisted that I stop in Winslow, Arizona with them and celebrate all night long to help me forget my troubles. I had fun, but boy was I sick the next day.
ljk4-1
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Dec 26 2005, 12:27 PM)
No I'm serious.  I remember the date well and why I was travelling that week.  I had a horrible hangover that morning.  I met some truckers on my CB radio the day before and when they learned it was my 27th birthday and I had been dumped by a longtime girlfriend the week before, they inisisted that I stop in Winslow, Arizona with them and celebrate all night long to help me forget my troubles.  I had fun, but boy was I sick the next day.

The crater must have eroded a lot since 1988. smile.gif Actually, has anyone estimated how long the crater will remain a crater?

And look at it this way: The ex-girlfriend is long gone, but the crater still remains. And which one are you sharing picture of with us now?

See, all that really matters is the Cosmos.

cool.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Dec 26 2005, 06:01 PM)
And look at it this way:  The ex-girlfriend is long gone, but the crater still remains.  And which one are you sharing picture of with us now?
cool.gif

I'm sure she has experienced far more "erosion" than the crater since then biggrin.gif
Oersted
QUOTE (RGClark @ Oct 13 2005, 06:14 PM)
Thanks for the link to the image. Notice that the two streaks on the right seem to widen as you move from the point of origin.
I have argued that this characteristic of some *wind-blown* streaks on Mars is indicative of material being vented:

Bob, I think a more plausible explanation for a widening streak is simply that the wind changes direction and therefore deposits material in slightly different directions, a sort of "weather vane"-effect.

This BTW is my first posting here on Unmannedspaceflight.com, greetings all!
nprev
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Dec 26 2005, 11:14 AM)
I'm sure she has experienced far more "erosion" than the crater since then biggrin.gif

ZZZINNNGGG!!!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif unsure.gif cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.