Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Checking Out The Rind
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2
Joffan
"cut straight across"... my first reaction was "yeah, right" but I suppose we'll look at the lie of the land first!
Of counsel
Hmm . . . I'm not finding the new Steve Squyres Update. Perhaps some revisions are being made?
alan
sometimes using this version of the link helps
http://athena1.cornell.edu/news/mubss/
dvandorn
One the negative side, these rocks are all jumbled up, just like they were at Fram and Vostok and outside of Endurance and, well, outside of every impact crater, large and small, we've driven by. Which means they're not in sequence -- they're just randomly jumbled (and highly shocked) pieces of the local evaporite layer.

On the positive side, these have to be remnants of the ejecta blanket from Erebus. And Erebus is a big crater, nearly as big as Victoria (if a lot older and more degraded). So, the closer we got to the rim, the deeper these blocks of finely layered evaporite were excavated from.

OK, guys -- these are the exposed evaporite outcrops of the Erebus rim. Not very impressive, are they...?

-the other Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.