Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voyager Enters Final Frontier Of Solar System
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Beyond.... > Voyager and Pioneer
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
brellis
From the 12/14 Space Daily article (wait - that's tomorrow! hehe)

Scientists suspect the solar wind has been turned sideways by the pressure from the interstellar wind in the region between stars.

Questions for more studied UMSFers: The space daily article has an image that implies our sun's heliosheath has a huge tail. Is that tail due to the sun's motion around the galactic center? Is Voyager 1 at the 'front' edge? Is Voyager 2 heading down the tail side?
g4ayu
Just noticed that it's the top read news story on the BBC News website.Click to view attachment
rogelio
Nice article about Edward Stone in today's LA Times:

"Voyager 1 on the edge, and so is he"

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-04...0,4527527.story

jasedm
Thanks Rogelio - nice article

Ed has quite some CV over the last four decades!!

I sincerely hope he's around to see V1 coast into interstellar space proper.

Jase
mchan
A Big Surprise from the Edge of the Solar System

Intriguing "frothy magnetic bubbles".
MarcF
Some good news from outer space :

"Voyager 1 could cross over into the frontier of interstellar space at any time and much earlier than previously thought"

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/news/recalculating_space.html

Links to the journal Nature :
http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110615/ful...s.2011.370.html

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v474/...nature10115.pdf

Best regards,
Marc.
jgoldader
Hi all,

I'm working on an article on the Voyagers, and have noticed that the last weekly status updates on the Voyager website were published in April. Does anybody know if they're normally sent up in batches?

Thanks
Jeff
remcook
Yes, last time I checked, they get put on the website in large batches.
Paolo
today on Science express: Voyager Measurements of Hydrogen Lyman-α Diffuse Emission from the Milky Way
remcook
Great, still doing good science!
JTN
Curious to know if the measurements form anything that could be described as an image. Does the full article say -- anyone have Science access? (I can't tell from the free online supplement.)

Measurements are said to be taken with the ultraviolet spectrometer (UVS). This page quotes FOV as 0.10° × 0.87°, so maximum spatial resolution would be pretty coarse. From hints in the supplement, I guess the data are much coarser.

This page (date unknown) says: "data is being collected from the Ultraviolet Spectrometer Subsystem (UVS). While there are no science investigation teams associated with this instrument, the captured data is made available to interested scientists." If this was true at the time the relevant measurements were taken, I guess they might not have been chosen with this investigation in mind?

New Scientist says the instruments have since been turned off (corroborated by this page: V1 1998, V2 2002).
stevesliva
http://vega.lpl.arizona.edu/voyager_uvs/instrument.html

It's pulse counting on the 128 channels that form the spectrum.

From the supplement:
For our specific purpose of a high precision and bias-free Ly determination we have devised a new reduction and
analysis pipeline, improved from the technique used earlier (33). The Voyager UVS (Ultra-Violet Spectrometer)
has a field of view of 0.1x0.87 defined by a mechanical grill collimator. Light that passes through the collimator
reaches a concave grating, which disperses and focusses the light onto the microchannel plate (MCP) detector. A
single photo-electron created at the input of the MCP generates a pulse of many electrons at the output, and this
charge is collected on a linear array of 128 elongated anodes (channels) that correspond to the 540 to 1700 Å range.
One anode covers 9.26 Å. Charges on the anodes are periodically sampled and subjected to threshold detection;
detected events are summed into 128 corresponding memory locations to form a spectrum.

So no, not really a picture. And that is coupled with two Azimuth directions.
Paolo
QUOTE (JTN @ Dec 3 2011, 02:30 AM) *
Curious to know if the measurements form anything that could be described as an image. Does the full article say -- anyone have Science access? (I can't tell from the free online supplement.)

there is an image in the paper (fig. 2, for those having access) showing "Scan data point directions superimposed on" a hydrogen-alpha map of the sky. Scan data points are colorized to indicate "the intensity of the continuum, with red indicating its absence and blue the most intense".
no real image, actually...

as for the date scans were taken, Voyager 1 operated between 1993 and mid-2003 and V2 between 1993 and mid-1998.
MarcF
It's getting really exiting !! Not long to wait now before historical entry into the interstellar medium !!
NASA'S VOYAGER HITS NEW REGION AT SOLAR SYSTEM EDGE
http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/news/new_region.html

Best regards,
Marc.
hendric
QUOTE (MarcF @ Dec 13 2011, 04:43 AM) *
It's getting really exiting

Best UMSF Freudian slip ever. smile.gif
MarcF
Hehehe ! Oups !! This loss of C was really not deliberate !!
volcanopele
I wouldn't call that a Freudian slip, but that certainly goes on the list of best puns (albeit unintentional) of the year.
ups
It's amazing that the science coming from the Voyagers hasn't really egressed in the 30+ years they've been in service.
MarcF
Ever closer... rolleyes.gif
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2012-177
Best regards,
Marc.
dilo
QUOTE (MarcF @ Jun 20 2012, 08:03 PM) *
Ever closer...

I think they refers, in particular, to high energy proton flux:
Click to view attachment
extracted from here:
Click to view attachment
MarcF
And more signs that "we" are almost in the interstellar medium...
http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/news/signs_changing_fast.html
Best regards,
Marc.
dilo
At the end of August we had another two drops of low-energy protons, even deeper than one month ago!
http://sd-www.jhuapl.edu/VOYAGER/images/vg...d_avg_09_on.pdf
Astro0
Voyager 1 marks 35 years since launch and joining Voyager 2 on the Grand Tour of the Solar System.
http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/news/voyager_35.html

A new banner to mark the milestone smile.gif

Sail on lil' Voyagers! Sail on!
RoverDriver
I think that Voyagers are the coolest mission. Whenever I go to the Von Karman here at JPL where they have a replica I'm always amazed by their size.

Paolo
Paolo
on the next issue of Nature
Voyager’s long goodbye
No meridional plasma flow in the heliosheath transition region
the latter requires a subscription
jasedm
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Sep 5 2012, 08:33 AM) *
I think that Voyagers are the coolest mission.

Paolo

Seconded.
dilo
I think this combined plot speaks by itself:
Click to view attachment
V1 is definitively inside a totally new region...
Source: http://voyager.gsfc.nasa.gov/heliopause/he...recenthist.html
TheAnt
It really looks like it.
That particle/proton rate have stayed low for 2 more weeks, whereas the galactic cosmic rays continue to climb slowly.
And turning of the spacecraft to look for any possible sideway movement did show that the particles were not moving sideways either.
(Also described in the summary linked by Paolo.)

Isn't that exactly the conditions to expect at the boundary of the heliopause?

Now data from IBEX suggest there might be no bow shock zone at all. So all will depend on how deep this area might be, after that Voyager 1 might very well be in true Interstellar space.

Related story 'The little motor that could'
dilo
Thanks for the link, TheAnt!
This recall me to update the plot:
Click to view attachment
After two more weeks, initial impression became a robust trend!
EdTruthan
NASA will host a media teleconference at 11 a.m. PST (2 p.m. EST) on Monday, Dec. 3, to discuss the latest findings and travels of NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft. MORE HERE
Floyd
Dilo
Are your graph labels are correct >70 and >0.5 not >70 and <0.5??
Floyd
What am I missing. >70 is also >0.5, so how can >70 be going up the last month and >0.5 be going down????? Never mind--two different detectors measuring different types of particles, not one detector measuring two energy ranges.
djellison
However - the value of >70 is small compared to >0.5

It's risen from only 2 to 2.3
Whereas the >0.5 has dropped from 25 to about 2.3

i.e. - the amount of particles between 0.5 and 70 has dropped to essentially zero.
dilo
QUOTE (Floyd @ Nov 30 2012, 11:01 PM) *
Dilo
Are your graph labels are correct >70 and >0.5 not >70 and <0.5??

Labels were correct (copied from original) but their postions on vertical axes were wrong! This is the correct (and updated) 1-year trend:
Click to view attachment
Sorry for mistake!
Explorer1
Starting here: http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

Nothing at the usual NASA link....
Tesheiner
News release: NASA Voyager 1 Encounters New Region in Deep Space.
December 03, 2012

PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft has entered a new region at the far reaches of our solar system that scientists feel is the final area the spacecraft has to cross before reaching interstellar space.
0101Morpheus
So much for there being a clear cutoff point rolleyes.gif
djellison
What would you call this?
http://voyager.gsfc.nasa.gov/GIF/v1la.12m.gif
Explorer1
I think this time they're very sure this is the last section before true interstellar space (in terms of particles, not gravity). It was described as the 'off-ramp' to the stars in the recent teleconference. And the team will know it when they see it.
Once Voyager 2 crosses into this same area, we might even be able to guesstimate the large-scale shape of this 'highway'.
djellison
There will be no sharp cut off of gravity - why do you mention that?
0101Morpheus
What I meant is that the scientists told us there was a clear boundary between the heliosphere and the outside. First they said there was a blow shock. Now we know the Sun doesn't have one. Then they said that the boundary would be when the solar wind stopped and there would be a sharp increase in cosmic rays. And thats what we've seen. But now they say were still inside the heliosphere because of the magnetic orientation. This new "in-between" area.

The heliosphere is the edge of the suns magnetic field. I was led to think there would be a sharp boundary. Now it seems to depend of interpretation. Is the edge where the influx of cosmic rays begins, or is it when the sun's magnetic field gives way to the galactic magnetic field? Thats all.
Explorer1
I was replying to 0101Morpheus about whether there's a clear transition into interstellar space which the heliopause crossing will be. Yet it really depends on our definitions of solar system; the sun's gravitational influence will be felt much farther, tens of thousands of AU, while the high energy particle environment can and does change rapidly, as this recent discovery shows. The Oort cloud would be 'outside' our solar system by the latter particle definition, but clearly still gravitationally bound to the Sun.
0101Morpheus
Seems we got our replies mixed up. rolleyes.gif

Yes I know the sun's gravity doesn't stop. You can keep going for a light year and still be inside its hills sphere.
TheAnt
In the data for Voyager 2 we got a dip for the particle flux now in the first week of December then it had a small peak, to fold back down in about the same pace in the last days.
This might be similar as what we did see for V1 in August.

However this is one "stay tuned" post of mine for those interested, a heads up that also V2 might get close to the boundary but that it's not quite there yet.
Voyager 2 data page
djellison
V2 is clearly in a very different environment to V1. V2 has had a very gradual decline over the past year to about 50% of initial levels. V1 was almost static at a fixed level until a very sudden and rapid decline by an order of magnitude in literally a day that bounced back and forth a little then dropped for good. Fascinating.

Explorer1
Until New Horizons gets out there, these two are the only data points we have on what is certain to be complex large scale structures. Glad both are still functioning.
stevesliva
QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Dec 24 2012, 07:34 PM) *
Until New Horizons gets out there, these two are the only data points we have on what is certain to be complex large scale structures. Glad both are still functioning.

No magnetometer on NH, though. Going to be a very long time until another magnetometer heads out there. (Comments about exactly how far NH will get aside.)
TheAnt
QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 24 2012, 10:34 PM) *
V2 is clearly in a very different environment to V1.

My little personal hypothesis is that it is the same environment, the graph certainly dropped like a rock for V1 - which made me pay attention that something had happened. V1 are heading in a direction nearly bulls eye on the solar apex (the direction which the sun are travelling) - so the sphere might be somewhat flattened there and the border zone itself compressed.
But that V2 are entering it at a point nearly 90 degrees from the solar apex and so the process will take a longer time.

Since my post the particle count have started to drop down again - but as said, my post were merely a heads-up I am fully aware from my own work not to build intricate theories on just a hump in a graph. =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.