Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Detailed Mars Atlas?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Conferences and Broadcasts
odave
Can anyone recommend a good atlas of Mars with detailed feature labeling?

I know there are several clickable maps online, but the best of ones I've found only have major features/regions labeled. I'm interested in a level of detail similar to Rukl's Atlas of the Moon. I also know about, but have never seen, the atlas put out in 1979 by Nasa & the USGS. Is that still a good reference?

A CD-ROM atlas would be OK, but I spend way too much time in front of a tube at work - something to plop down on the sofa with would be lovely.

Thanks!
Phil Stooke
Mars Atlas: There isn't one! Too bad - and certainly I would be happy if somebody proves me wrong. The 1979 NASA/USGS one is good - I have two copies in fact. (no, you can't have it). But it is dated. It uses Mariner 9 images only, never updated with Viking images, and its contours and placenames are hopelessly out of date. But NASA long ago lost its funding for additional atlases like that - the book called NASA Atlas of the Solar System languished for years before the USGS found a commercial publisher. So my advice... become the author of a new one! We could use it.

Phil
Sunspot
While not exactly what you're looking for there is this from MSSS:

http://www.msss.com/mgcwg/mgm/
odave
Amazon has some used copies of the 1979 atlas listed, so I think I'll pick one up.

I've also been considering the Mars globe offered by Sky and Telescope - though it's a bit pricy. Been dropping some Father's Day hints around the house smile.gif

And I suppose I could assign myself a research project - grab copies of the MSSS global images and label them myself.

Thanks for the tips, guys!
lyford
There's this - but you need a computer to use it. biggrin.gif
MarsoWeb
Lot's to play with if you have a fast connection and enough CPU power...
Nix
QUOTE (odave @ May 13 2005, 04:00 PM)
A CD-ROM atlas would be OK, but I spend way too much time in front of a tube at work - something to plop down on the sofa with would be lovely.

Thanks!

For the sofa I print these maps;

geopubs
smile.gif
JRehling
Have a look at this site

http://ralphaeschliman.com/index.htm

Some very impressive stuff.
odave
Wow - that's great stuff. Thanks for the pointer!
volcanopele
That's a great site!! I love the maps he has for Venus.
Phil Stooke
Yes, Ralph's a great guy, very talented. He used to work at USGS Flagstaff.

Phil
PhilCo126
Of course there's a Mars Atlas, NASA SP ( Special Publication ) SP-438 entitled ATLAS OF MARS The 1:5,000,000 Map series.
Authors: Batson , Bridges and Inge ( Catalog NAS N° 1.21:438 )
A very large hardcover book with 146 glossy pages, mostly available at Boggsspace.com for about US $ 75.00 to US $ 100.00 depanding on the condition of that book.

You can see it on the leftside of my weblog about Mars-literature:
http://mars-literature.skynetblogs.be/

Best regards,
Philip CORNEILLE
mars.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.